View Full Version : How to jump a tractor battery?

jake26
06-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Sorry for the stupid question but I am mechaniclly inept. Somehow, I did not turn off my John Deer 3000X tractor and now the battery is dead. Can I jump the battery with my car? Unfortunately, I do not have a battery charger.

Maybe this is an opportunity for a new tool :beer:

mrholeshot
06-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorry for the stupid question but I am mechaniclly inept. Somehow, I did not turn off my John Deer 3000X tractor and now the battery is dead. Can I jump the battery with my car? Unfortunately, I do not have a battery charger.

Maybe this is an opportunity for a new tool :beer: If you take the battery out and build some ramps I'll jump it with my motorcycle, lol

If the battery is 12 volt I would jump it. If it's an old 6 volt I'd yank it and take it to someone with a chager that has 6 volts. I've seen some real disasters jumping 6 volt vehicle with 12 volt car. The damage goes to the 12 volt alternator.

hammergodthor
06-25-2010, 12:14 PM
It depends on your tractor voltage. If the tractor is 12 volt, sure, it shouldn't be a problem if you properly use correctly working jumper cables. If its 24 volt, you could disconnect and just charge (not jump) each battery separately. :thumbup:

If you jump 24 volt to 12 volt you will hurt something.

sk farmer
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
should not be a problem. many older tractors used 6 or 12 volt negatove ground like older cars did. they can all be jump started. just hook positive to positive and negative to negative makeing sure the vehicles do not touch. if it is a 6 volt make sure all accessories are off as the starter can handle the short 12 volt blast but radios and lights do not. actually that is advised on anything. your newer tractor should be 12 volt negative ground and can be jump started just like your car. some newer tractors actually have a positive lug mounted near the starter on the frame with a rubber cap specificly designed for attaching jumper cables or chargers. if it has that i would use that terminal for the positive and the frame for negative. good luck.

hammergodthor
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I looked at the small one and the biggest one, and it looks like they're 12 volt.

http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecificationServlet?sbu=CCE&pciModel=3720%20LV&displayModelName=3720%20Compact%20Tractor%20(44%20 hp)&tM=GC&pNbr=682DLV

Either look in your product manual to be sure, or count batteries. Older tractors might be different?? :beer:

jake26
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM
The battery is a 12 volt so it sounds as if I should have no problem jumping it with my car. I was think as much but thought to ask the professionals ;) Thanks!!!

sk farmer
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM
It depends on your tractor voltage. If the tractor is 12 volt, sure, it shouldn't be a problem if you properly use correctly working jumper cables. If its 24 volt, you could disconnect and just charge (not jump) each battery separately. :thumbup:

If you jump 24 volt to 12 volt you will hurt something.

it appears that this tractor is newer and it should not be 24 volt. there never were to many 24 volt tractors and most have been converted to 12 volt but there are still a few out in the woods yet

hammergodthor
06-25-2010, 12:23 PM
it appears that this tractor is newer and it should not be 24 volt. there never were to many 24 volt tractors and most have been converted to 12 volt but there are still a few out in the woods yet

Thanks, I was about to ask that. I'm a bus mechanic, not a tractor mechanic. :beer:

bindernut
06-25-2010, 12:39 PM
What's a 3000X? Never heard of it, though I am familiar with the X300 riding mower, which is 12 volt.

You can jump 6 volt tractors off of 12 volt vehicles with no ill effects, unless you just crank & crank & burn up the starter. Done it more times than I can count. I also regularly jump a tractor that has 2 6 volts in series(12 volt) off a 12 volt truck battery.

Scout Driver
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
You can jump 6 volt tractors off of 12 volt vehicles with no ill effects, unless you just crank & crank & burn up the starter. Done it more times than I can count. I also regularly jump a tractor that has 2 6 volts in series(12 volt) off a 12 volt truck battery.

+1. I have jumpstarted 6 volt systems from 12 volts many times. Never had any ill effects. Main thing is to use common sense and be aware of your own safety.

Scott

sberry
06-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I really like to charge batteries from a charger more than with the alt although tractors are usually fairly low output units, good way to overheat an alt is to charge a dead battery. If you don't own a battery charger you need one, good time to buy.

hydramatic
06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
sberry is right..an alt is designed to maintain a charged batt. not charge one..get a small 2/10 amp charger and bring her up to 12.55........if it won`t hold that overnight by itself, get a new battery.

maxipouce
06-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Alternators on these tractors are at least rated at 40amps.
They can charge a battery and even two or three , BUT they need to turn fast so they can give most of their power, the power they have at idling speed very small.
(they need speed to have a sufficient air cooling flow and a high enough voltage in the 3phase area of your alternator; because for the same power: high voltage=low current)
It is a small tractor so jumping on a car may work well, if it does not allow your car's alternator to run fast for a few minutes to charge the tractor's battery.
Another option is to switch batteries, jump your car from its removed battery then go for a ride to charge it.
Newer big john deere tractors have a jumping point right on the starter motor but I do not know if it is the case on the 3000 series.
I hope this helps.

KEH
06-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Some older tractors used positive ground systems. Some of them have been changed to negetive ground. Call dealer and ask if in doubt, but however the tractor is hooked up now is probably correct. Older means mid century. I'm curious about exactly what tractor you have also.

KEH

fordbroncodave
06-25-2010, 07:13 PM
depending. i am not familiar with many john deere mowers or utility tractors so if it is a manual transmission just bump it and see if it charges its self. if not, jump start it with your car. and if that fails (in the case you have a bad battery now) get a new battery from carquest (not napa, oriellys, autozone, walmart, kmart, sears, checker, or any other parts store) poo poo on them. carquest is the best