View Full Version : Have you ever "lost" your keys and found them later?

malibu101
06-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm sure ther could be some interesting stories behind asking if you have ever "lost" your keys only to find them later. Or found them in a crazy place?

I (luckily) have never lost my keys except for one time they went away for awhile.
I normally but my keys on top of the refigerator in the kitchen. It's a safe and conveineient place that the kids can't reach. Awhile ago I could not find my keys. I looked everywhere, moved the fridge, ransacked the house, cars, and garage. They were gone. :(
A few weeks later I came home from work and the wife tossed my "lost" keyring to me. They fell in the shelf on the freezer door under some frozen packages. She found them there getting stuff out. :)
I never looked in the fridge. (freezer) :wtf:

Have you ever "lost" your keys only to have them reappear later? :lol_hitti

Moose-LandTran
06-25-2010, 08:14 PM
I lost the tv remote once and found it in the fridge. Not sure how it got there.

I'm always putting my keys down when i come inside the house when working in the garage. Usually when no one else is home so i have to break into my own house to retrieve them.

I also lost my marbles. Still can't find them.

adam728
06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
My wife used to have to ransack the house looking for her keys. We keep them on hooks in the cabinet now.

We lost a remote at a house we were renting before. The dog was teething and had chewed 7-8 of them to bits (not pointing fingers at who left em out....). But this one just disappeared. Never even found it when we moved out.

jethro29
06-25-2010, 08:32 PM
i lose and find my keys almost daily, my wife says i have partimers.

rasit
06-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Whenever I loose something, about 80% of the time I end up finding it two days after I replace it with new.........

PassnThru
06-25-2010, 08:35 PM
I had a new key made (at great expense mind you) for the wife's minivan one time after she lost her key. We tore the house apart - not difficult really since it looks like that most of the time anyway - and never found it. About a year later she put on a coat she doesn't wear very often and guess what she found. Yep - that was not a trick question.
Another time she lost her keys she called me at work. Seems she remembered that morning that she had put the keys on the rear bumper of my truck the night before. Now they were gone. When I got home that night, I walked about two miles from the house on the side of the road looking for them. Now these are rural roads here - no side walks and in places only a wet ditch to walk in. A neighbor sees me at about the two mile point and turns around and comes back to see what is up. I tell him the story and it turns out he left after me that morning and saw them in the middle of the road that crosses our street. He stopped and picked them up but had no idea who they belonged to. So not only did he find her keys but he gave me a ride home. Still my favorite neighbor. :beer:

Kev442
06-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I lost mine outside once while snowblowing. Could not find them anywhere. How the hell could they fall out of my winter jacket pocket? Thought about it a while and went and looked in the trash can about two feet behind where I was pulling the starter rope. Yep!

trbomax
06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I just never take them out of the vehicle,then I cant loose them.

Moose-LandTran
06-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I lost a set in the Mediterranean. They're probably still there.

malibu101
06-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I just never take them out of the vehicle,then I cant loose them.

I like that one!
I had an El Camino that the ignition key cylinder was completly worn out on.
No key needed to start it, just turn it. As long as the doors were unlocked anyone could have just driven it away.

raccoon
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Lost my purse in a huge concert, went back the next morning to look for it, never found it.

trbomax
06-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I like that one!
I had an El Camino that the ignition key cylinder was completly worn out on.
No key needed to start it, just turn it. As long as the doors were unlocked anyone could have just driven it away.

We have an 89 YJ thats like that.Been that way for maybe 10 yrs,dont even know where the keys are for that one!

Spareparts
06-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Lost my billfold just before I went to Nam in 65, found if under the back seat of my 57 Ford in 67 when I got home. Had $45. in it that I had forgot about, wife and I went out and had a big steak dinner and had about $30 bucks left over, try that today.

wyndycity
06-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I just read an article last week about some guy in Maine losing his class ring while swimming in a quarry 27 years ago. When the guy found out it was drained recently, he went back and lo and behold, he found the ring and the diving mask he lost while trying to find it back then!

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/2409602,CST-NWS-ringfound19.article

bgott
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
When I can't find my keys when I get ready to leave in the morning I just open the front door and pull them out of the lock.

Stuart in MN
06-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Speaking of things lost in lakes and Vietnam, this story was in my local paper a few months back:

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/79372057.html

A piece of Don Sunstrom's past has been missing for 40 years.

While fighting in Vietnam, he'd gotten a fancy engraved cigarette lighter as a keepsake to remind him of a place he later would try to forget. But he lost the lighter in the jungles of Southeast Asia.

Two months ago, Sunstrom, 65, who now lives in Blaine, was stunned to learn that the Zippo lighter had been found -- at the bottom of a lake in southern Wisconsin.

Scott Mitchen, a professional treasure hunter and author, found the lighter during a dive in Delavan Lake and plans to return it to Sunstrom Wednesday afternoon.

Makes you wonder how the heck that lighter got from Vietnam to the bottom of a lake in Wisconsin.

webbs2jzgte
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
you never know what you will find in WI. my neighbor bought some land next to are cabin up north he went int eh barn to find a old international scout. his son found a split window bug in a barn a couple miles away

aar0s
06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I have this ratty old leather keychain with a baseball stamped on it that a friend gave me years ago cause at the time i was into baseball and just got my mustang and didnt have a keychain for the keys yet.
I didnt want the nasty stinking thing so i drove a couple of blocks and chucked it out the window only to find it in the back seat a few days later.
I took it to work and tossed it in the dumpster and found it hanging by a nail next to the dumpster by the door where i would leave work. I put my mustang keys on that chain and have never worried about loosing those keys again.

malibu101
06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
I have this ratty old leather keychain with a baseball stamped on it that a friend gave me years ago cause at the time i was into baseball and just got my mustang and didnt have a keychain for the keys yet.
I didnt want the nasty stinking thing so i drove a couple of blocks and chucked it out the window only to find it in the back seat a few days later.
I took it to work and tossed it in the dumpster and found it hanging by a nail next to the dumpster by the door where i would leave work. I put my mustang keys on that chain and have never worried about loosing those keys again.

Cool! :thumbup:

Earl
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Lost my wallet in Arizona a long time ago. Was driving through the state and stopped on the side of the road to take pictures of something and I had stood up in the driver's seat through the T-top and must have pushed the wallet out when I slid back in. Had all sorts of issues the rest of the way home to Panama City, Fl. About 2-3 weeks later my wallet shows up in the mail. Someone had taken my military I.D. and put it on the outside and wrapped a couple of rubber bands around it. Tossed it in a mailbox and it somehow made it to me. Everything was still inside, including my cash which was about a hundred dollars. Would have like to have met the person that picked the wallet up.
Earl

JC23
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I have a lost keys story that I don't expect anyone to believe. Mostly cuz when it happened, it was a big WTF to me.

I was in Talladega (yes, THAT Talladega) for the Spring race and lost my car keys. It really pissed me off cuz they were on a cool Davey Allison key chain. I tore apart all my bags and couldn't find 'em

Fast forward to fall and I was in Ireland. It was my buddy's turn to drive and a chick ran a stop sign and got us in the left front fender. Not a big hit, just a fender bender. While waiting for the Garda (cops) to come, I figured I better get some pics of the damage and went for my camera bag. I started laughing my ass off so my buddy and the chick both thought I went daft. Yep. Davey and my keys showed up.

Is there a long distance award for this thread???

HOTFR8
06-26-2010, 12:11 AM
I had a new key made (at great expense mind you) for the wife's minivan one time after she lost her key. We tore the house apart - not difficult really since it looks like that most of the time anyway - and never found it. About a year later she put on a coat she doesn't wear very often and guess what she found. Yep - that was not a trick question.
Another time she lost her keys she called me at work. Seems she remembered that morning that she had put the keys on the rear bumper of my truck the night before. Now they were gone. When I got home that night, I walked about two miles from the house on the side of the road looking for them. Now these are rural roads here - no side walks and in places only a wet ditch to walk in. A neighbor sees me at about the two mile point and turns around and comes back to see what is up. I tell him the story and it turns out he left after me that morning and saw them in the middle of the road that crosses our street. He stopped and picked them up but had no idea who they belonged to. So not only did he find her keys but he gave me a ride home. Still my favorite neighbor. :beer:

Lost my wallet in Arizona a long time ago. Was driving through the state and stopped on the side of the road to take pictures of something and I had stood up in the driver's seat through the T-top and must have pushed the wallet out when I slid back in. Had all sorts of issues the rest of the way home to Panama City, Fl. About 2-3 weeks later my wallet shows up in the mail. Someone had taken my military I.D. and put it on the outside and wrapped a couple of rubber bands around it. Tossed it in a mailbox and it somehow made it to me. Everything was still inside, including my cash which was about a hundred dollars. Would have like to have met the person that picked the wallet up.
Earl

Those two stories just make you believe that some people can be good :beer::thumbup:

cdent
06-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I saw my oldest daughter playing with my keys and headed off to her room. We shredded the place with no luck. Had duplicates or could copy most of the keys, but I had to get a locksmith to get into the pickup and make a custom key the next morning. That evening our daughter wanted to play with the keys again, went in her room and came right back out with the set. She was probably about two and a half at the time, she just had her own little boy a few weeks ago.

Even 11
06-26-2010, 03:01 AM

Man, thats a good story. I wish I had a neighbor like that!

-Dane

nate379
06-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Was at work and let a co worker use my truck to run some errands.

I don't need keys for the truck, haven't in the 7 years I've owned it.

Well he locked the freaking doors! I had to bum a ride 15 miles to home to find a key for it so I could open the door! :mad:

I usually just leave the key in the ignition of my other stuff, don't loose it that way.

Was at the fuel pumps the other day and some guy locked the keys in his car as he was pumping fuel. Why he even locked the doors to begin with? I have no idea. Dumb ass!

fomocoforrester
06-26-2010, 04:34 AM
I found my motorcycle keys stuck to the underside of a magnetic tank bag.

I lost count of the number of times I looked under that bag in the two weeks it took me to find them.:(

nissan_crawler
06-26-2010, 05:00 AM
I had a spare key hidden in one of those magnetic things on a crossmember. WHen I finally needed it, it was gone. I removed my receiver hitch (just the drawbar) a few years later, and heard a noise.

Yep, it must have fallen off, hit the road, bounced up (still in the damn case), shot inside the drawbar, and the magnet held it in there for several years. I figured if they wanted in there that bad, they could just stay in the damn thing.

JC23
06-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Whenever I get a new vehicle, I make it a point to get an extra door key made that same day. Then I put it in my wallet. Only locked myself out one time so far with this truck.

nate379
06-26-2010, 09:54 AM
If I put keys to everything I owned in my wallet it would be 4" thick! I had to separate all my keys even cause it was getting to the point that people were asking if I worked as a janitor!

AussieDan
06-26-2010, 10:44 AM
So I was out 4-wheeling with a buddy of mine....we had been on the trail about 2 hrs when I realize that the immobilizer key for the 4Runner isn't in my pocket any more.

We had driven out about 3hrs for another friend's wedding, and the other set of keys are at home (of course), so there is no way the 4Runner is going anywhere without the key.

At this point I'm a little concerned; it's midday on Sunday, we're supposed to be at a wedding at 5pm, and the keys are in the woods...somewhere.

So we do the only thing we can do, start to backtrack down the trail trying to remember where we'd gotten out of the Jeep to scout the trail and cast around for the keys. The fun factor is even greater because it's mid-fall and the ground is covered with damp dead leaves.

No luck. :mad:

Eventually we get to the first place we had stopped, at the very bottom of the hill, get out of the jeep and start looking around, knowing that if we don't find the keys now they're gone for good. Naturally, my buddy decides that this would be a good time to capture this little adventure on video for posterity, so I present to you:

4Wheeling in NY - A Good Day With Dan & His Keys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYeDNkM4O1o)

jay50
06-26-2010, 10:55 AM
So I was out 4-wheeling with a buddy of mine....we had been on the trail about 2 hrs when I realize that the immobilizer key for the 4Runner isn't in my pocket any more.

We had driven out about 3hrs for another friend's wedding, and the other set of keys are at home (of course), so there is no way the 4Runner is going anywhere without the key.

At this point I'm a little concerned; it's midday on Sunday, we're supposed to be at a wedding at 5pm, and the keys are in the woods...somewhere.

So we do the only thing we can do, start to backtrack down the trail trying to remember where we'd gotten out of the Jeep to scout the trail and cast around for the keys. The fun factor is even greater because it's mid-fall and the ground is covered with damp dead leaves.

No luck. :mad:

Eventually we get to the first place we had stopped, at the very bottom of the hill, get out of the jeep and start looking around, knowing that if we don't find the keys now they're gone for good. Naturally, my buddy decides that this would be a good time to capture this little adventure on video for posterity, so I present to you:

4Wheeling in NY - A Good Day With Dan & His Keys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYeDNkM4O1o)

Bevis and Butthead....:lol_hitti

webbs2jzgte
06-26-2010, 11:00 AM
i was at my gfs house one day and she and some friends went to the mall me and her dad were relaxing watching some racing and she calls from her friends phone saying she lost her phone t the mall deactivate it because some trash person probably has it calling everyone. She is just all tied up in a knot. so we hang up and start the process someone calls me while her dad is on the phone with verizon. some elderly lady calls saying she found the phone and asked are address to return it so we tell her. 20 minutes later he shows up. she is on a mobile scooter. and on top of it took the bus here. i greatly handed her whatever cash i had in my pocket and felt horrible. this lady tok the bus in the heat with a electric scooter just to return a phone. most people now a days wouldn't have given a crap.

bazzateer
06-26-2010, 12:27 PM
i was at my gfs house one day and she and some friends went to the mall me and her dad were relaxing watching some racing and she calls from her friends phone saying she lost her phone t the mall deactivate it because some trash person probably has it calling everyone. She is just all tied up in a knot. so we hang up and start the process someone calls me while her dad is on the phone with verizon. some elderly lady calls saying she found the phone and asked are address to return it so we tell her. 20 minutes later he shows up. she is on a mobile scooter. and on top of it took the bus here. i greatly handed her whatever cash i had in my pocket and felt horrible. this lady tok the bus in the heat with a electric scooter just to return a phone. most people now a days wouldn't have given a crap.
Bet she called her Grandkids in Australia first though!:lol_hitti

red baron
06-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a horrible memory so it used to happen all the time. Now I have one of those caribiner clips and keep it hooked on my belt loop. God help me if I forget to put it there lol

larry_g
06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
We moved into a new house many years ago and my keys disappeared duringthe move. Years later we were replacing the floor in the kitchen and bath. I removed the toilet and turned it upsidedown in the tub so I could clean the seal area. Got the new floor in and reset the toilet. The toilet leaked at the wax ring si I turned it upside down in the bath again, cleaned things up and replaced again. I noticed the ring of keys in the toilet bowl and fished them out. The steel keys were perty rusted but the brass ones were still good. Only one key on the ring still belonged to a current lock. All the other keys were to long gone rigs and locks. I figured one of the kids dropped them in there and there they stayed for some 7-8 years. How some waste didn't catch and carry them on down the line I don't know..

lg
no neat sig line

James E
06-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Been lurking for awhile--first post.

One Friday afternoon, back when I was in college, I came home from work, showered and was ready to go out and hit the town. Keys were nowhere to be found. I tore my apartment apart--looked for the keys for over two hours. I finally gave up and said "Screw it, I need a beer".

Went to the fridge, pulled a cold one out of the door and there were my keys, sitting on the shelf in the fridge.

Now, I have a designated place where I keep them. I only lose them when I don't put them in their assigned location.

arkangel06
06-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I lost my wallet once had to get a new SIN card firearms licence and debit cart what a hassle!!!

Only to find the old wallet under my bed a year later :(

keflaman
06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
...I removed the toilet and turned it upsidedown in the tub so I could clean the seal area...I noticed the ring of keys in the toilet bowl and fished them out. I figured one of the kids dropped them in there and there they stayed for some 7-8 years. How some waste didn't catch and carry them on down the line I don't know..

lg
no neat sig line

We lived in Italy when my son was just a toddler. I was leaving for work one day and couldn't find my keys. Looked for quite a while until I heard water running in the bathroom. My son was in there turning the bidet faucet on and off to watch the water shoot up and all over the walls and floor. This time he was apparently trying to launch my key ring in the water. The keys went higher up after that.

Years later I went through a phase where I would lay my keys down without realizing it and then scrurry around the house and garage looking for them. My wife bought me one of those little "clappers", but it went off every time there was a sharp noise nearby. That drove me nuts, but cured my forgetfulness.

I think.

Random Guy
06-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I also lost my marbles. Still can't find them.

So I'm not the only one...

ImportTuner
06-27-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't lose keys but I keep misplacing my glasses .. I have to take them off to look at something close, then I don't remember where I put them .. :(

fomocoforrester
06-27-2010, 02:28 AM
I don't lose keys but I keep misplacing my glasses .. I have to take them off to look at something close, then I don't remember where I put them .. :(

I have found an excellent solution to the problem.

Whenever an item like glasses, pencils for woodwork, hair combes, measuring tapes, pens, etc., go missing, I spent a minimal amount of time searching, and then just replace them.

Since 99% of the items eventually turn up anyway, I find I have an increasing inventory of the said items untill it stabilises at a point where the problem is no more.:)

mrsleeve
06-27-2010, 02:59 AM
I lost the tv remote once and found it in the fridge. Not sure how it got there.

I have done this Several times. When I was single I lost the remote for 2 weeks once found it behind the year old pickles and month old milk.

Last couple of times the G/f will either ask why I am keeping the tv remote refrigerated, just leave it there till I start looking for it and tearing the house apart looking. (Oh and I am not even 30 yet) I must get up to get a beer or something and get side tracked and set the remote or my cell phone in fridge.

Miter Wrench
06-28-2010, 09:49 AM
My wife lost (mis-placed) the house key once. We had extras but she was so paranoid that robbers had found the lost key that she had me re-key all the locks. After 1/2 a day and $35 later of re-keying, the original lost key showed up.

My buddies and I were golfing one evening and when we were done started goofing off and wrestiling near the parking lot. One of the guy's keys fell out of his pocket without him knowing it. He had caught a ride to the golf course so he didn't notice until he was ready to drive home from my house a couple hours later. I drove him back to the golf course at 11:30 that night and shined the headlights in the general area where they had fallen out. I figured we'd never find them in the dark - needle in a haystack. We actually found them in some tall grass within 5 minutes. Lucky I guess.

FNFS2000
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
about 4 times a day

t100
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I lost my car's master key+ remote a year ago, it's some where home but I just couldn't find it. I've been looking for it every weekend with no success.

I've been really carefully with my only spare key, since then, dealer wants $130 which I don't have.

DIC
06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I lost my keys..But I found them........It was the last place I looked.......:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

BigE
06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
A coworker was telling me a story like this the other day. Apparently, he was at home one weekend fiddling with a computer, reading the paper or some other relaxing yet innocuous activity. Meanwhile, his wife was fluttering about the room talking to someone on the phone. He said he heard her tell the other party, "Sure, I'll just look it up on my phone." She then proceeds to dig through her purse, getting increasingly frantic as the seconds tick by. This goes on for a full minute until she is in an absolute panic. "I can't find my phone. I can't find my phone! I CAN'T FIND MY PHONE!" She looks at my coworker in absolute desparation when he informs her, "You're talking on it."

MScott
06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
There was an episode on either "Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits" years ago that explained why things get lost. IIRC, there are little blue people who travel around at speeds too fast for the human eye to see. Their job is to move "things" to the next moment of time and sometimes they forget so the item becomes "lost." When they finally remember to move the item, it shows up in an unexpected place, perhaps even one that was previously searched. Explained a lot to me.:lol_hitti

sgrammel
06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
the older you get, the more you 'lose' things...and the more you find them right in front of you! BTW 50 is 2 months away.