View Full Version : Epoxy Over Concrete Sealer?

Davey4000
12-24-2006, 09:08 PM
A sealer was applied to my concrete floor when it was installed. Can I still use an epoxy finish on it? Are the preparations the same as unsealed concrete?

bmwpower
12-24-2006, 09:11 PM
A sealer was applied to my concrete floor when it was installed. Can I still use an epoxy finish on it? Are the preparations the same as unsealed concrete?

(1) Nope.

(2) Maybe. You're going to have to get the sealer off and the only way to do that is to grind, shotblast, sand it off.

Winmon
12-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I made the mistake of putting a sealer down before I decided to epoxy the floor. In order to put an epoxy down, you will need to remove the sealer. You can either do this by renting a Edco surfacer like this one....

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578779/8910896/183028498.jpg

Be prepared to spend ALOT of time on it. My 1600 sq ft took about 30 hrs.. Also be sure to get the diamond stones.
You will probably get the sealer "gumming" up the blades until it is removed. This is what I kept having to stop to clean out of the blades.....

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578779/8910896/169467431.jpg

If you use the Edco surfacer it helps to add some weight on the machine (you can see them in the picture). I used a few concrete steps.

However, if I had it to do over again, I would just hire someone to come in and Shotblast the floor (you might also be able to rent one).

Davey4000
12-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks. That's what I figured the answer would be. Unknown to me, my contractor sealed the concrete with a garden sprayer as it was being finished. Some places are nice and slick with a grey color to it and others are white and not slick. If it were all like the former I'd leave it alone; however, it looks splotchy. My garage is 36' x 48' and it sounds like a lot of work to remove the sealer.

Perhaps I will start looking at non epoxy solutions.

Jay H 237
12-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Thanks. That's what I figured the answer would be. Unknown to me, my contractor sealed the concrete with a garden sprayer as it was being finished. Some places are nice and slick with a grey color to it and others are white and not slick. If it were all like the former I'd leave it alone; however, it looks splotchy.

That sounds like the concrete floor in the new addition they put on where I work. I don't know what the concrete was sealed with but it had that look to it. After several months it evened out and shined up. It looks like the foot traffic buffed it up. Probably take years for that to happen in a regular garage though.

rt66jt
12-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Is there any moisture on or under your floor? Newer water-based sealers look milky until they dry, and will blush when they get wet again. If he used a water based sealer, then you have a moisture problem, not a sealer problem. Was a vapor barrier used?

Davey4000
12-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Is there any moisture on or under your floor? Newer water-based sealers look milky until they dry, and will blush when they get wet again. If he used a water based sealer, then you have a moisture problem, not a sealer problem. Was a vapor barrier used?

Yes, a vapor barrier was used. I have not tested the floor for moisture, but it seems very dry to me. When I leave cardboard boxes on the floor they do not get damp or flimsy.

rt66jt
01-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Maybe the sealer was applied too thick in some areas; sealer is one thing where more may not be better. If that is the case, it will probably flake off, eventually. There are mechanical strippers as mentioned, and citrus based cleaners (require scrubbing). Not fun no matter which way you go.

krooser
01-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I had a sealer on my floor and I simply sanded it off with a square orbital sander. It took all of an hour...I used about four sheets of paper for about 1200 square feet.

I epoxy coated my floor after that and it's been perfect for over a year.

kenjenkins1
12-12-2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks. That's what I figured the answer would be. Unknown to me, my contractor sealed the concrete with a garden sprayer as it was being finished. Some places are nice and slick with a grey color to it and others are white and not slick. If it were all like the former I'd leave it alone; however, it looks splotchy. My garage is 36' x 48' and it sounds like a lot of work to remove the sealer.

Perhaps I will start looking at non epoxy solutions.

I would just clean it up real good, and put another coat or two of sealer on it.

benwah
12-12-2014, 11:10 AM
The easiest and most surefire way, in my opinion, to remove that sealer is to shot-blast your concrete to achieve an ICRI-CSP3 or greater surface profile. This will leave your concrete very porous and ready to accept epoxy coatings. If you were to go this route a double broadcast flake/quartz application would be ideal, but you could get away with a couple lifts of 100% solids epoxy. At minimum I would broadcast aggregate to refusal in your first coat.

falcon64
12-12-2014, 11:20 AM
If the garage os not gonna be a man cave i would try resealing. What kind of sealer was it?

Shea
12-12-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't think you will get an answer guys. This thread was started 8 years ago :)

falcon64
12-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Lol awesome!!