View Full Version : New Concrete Slab #2

billyg555
07-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and about to be a new homeowner. Was wondering if anyone knew ballpark figures what a demo on a 2 car garage floor concrete slab would be with a new pour. I am attaching some pics (only ones i have until i move in) to try and gauge size. i would say its on the smaller end size of a typical 2 car garage. appreciate any advise. Bill

Nighttrain
07-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Billy, Welcome to the forum! It all depends, how thick is the old cement, how much do you want to put back in, I would guess somewhere between $6-$15 a square ft. Looking at the garage I would plan on building it much bigger, if you have the room behind the house/garage go big early.

38Chevy454
07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
What is so bad about your existing floor? In the pics it does not look too bad, just some cracks visible.

kmacht
07-27-2010, 09:51 AM
What are you trying to do with it? Do you just want to go bigger or are you going to do something else there? I have a house very similar to yours that had a garage about the same size. I rented a dumster and demoished the garage in one weekend with a few friends. The whole garage including two layers of shingles fit in a single 3 ton dumster and cost under $500 to dispose of. For the concrete, my slab was in decent shape so I just poured an extension to the slab. Since my finished garage will be detached and under 600 square feet (24x24)not including the second story I was able to just do a slab on grade and didn't need frost walls. It still required a very good sub base and tying into the existing slab with rebar but was alot easier to do than tearing out the old slab and stargin gover. I poured the slab about 5' bigger than the garage and made a walkway between the garage and the house. The local rental place had a walk behind bobcat machine with a bucket that I rented for the day to dig out for the extension. I think it was under $200 for the bobcat and a tamper. I had stone delivered for about $300. The wood forms were under $100. Rebar was under $200. The concrete was $97 a cubic yard for 4000psi with fibers. The slab was 6" thick and took about $800 worth of concrete. All said and done I did my slab extension for about 2k including some stone for a little driveway and some 6x6 lumber for a retaining wall. Before tearing everything out you might want to consider building on what you have if possible. You can see pictures of the slab extension I poured and the garage I am having installed under the pre-fab garage thread.

Keith

billyg555
07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
thank you all for the timely replies. the slab doesnt look bad in pics but in reality its not in good shape in person. i joined this forum bc i want a nice mancave! that being said i want to get it nice and even to put epoxy down. i discovered all types of drainage issues which jeopardized the walls last night too so maybe a teardown rebuild is an option. ah the joys of new ownership!!! i believe the slab is about 1.5 inches thick?

Jack Olsen
07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
If you can afford it, a clean-sheet build from the ground up is the best way to go.

But that's also going to take a lot of time and money. I had a much worse slab than yours -- and used some vinyl concrete to level it, then tiled it with ceramic tile. I was able to solve a flooding problem at the same time, since the tiles raise the floor about 1/2".

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8092/benches.jpg

GarageEnvy
07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
For reference about 6 months ago I was quoted $1,500 for a professional demo crew to come in and haul off my old garage slab. It was 22'x23'. It was attached and that did not include the professional estimate of $300 to make the 22' long saw cut along the wall. I paid $4.71 per square foot for a new slab to be installed. However, the new slab included footings and was 1800 sf so there might have been some economies of scale in the larger job. The old slab did not have any rebar to go through and the new of course included all the vapor barrier, rebar and inspections.

Incidentally for the demo I ended up buying a cutoff saw and making the cut myself and the old slab was removed and hauled off as part of the $1,500 bid to do the pad prep work.

billyg555
07-27-2010, 12:18 PM
sweet garage Jack, very well done ! nice ride too on youtube. damn you some nice work.

billyg555
07-27-2010, 12:19 PM
that doesnt sound too bad. i appreciate this reply. im just wondering how much damage is still fixable on a slab if you call in the right people vs replacement

billyg555
07-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Jack, that's a kick arse video of your tearing up the track in the porsche! just got my adrenaline flowing! best of luck and thanks for the input. that car is bad ass!

blue dog
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Here in Los Angeles you can figure $400 per yard, material, poured and finished, Just tore out a 24x24 slab, hauled away, was $1800. This was work performed by legal and bonded contracters.

ddrewyor
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
A couple of projects and cost ? thanks for joining the forum!

Last summer we tore down my buddy's two car garage 24' x 22'. We rented a dumpster for $250 and basically cut the roof board and let the top of the garage fall into the dumpster. We then cut the soul plates and tossed the walls in. We busted the floor out by hand but could not get the ratwalls out so the contractor pulled them for $350. Cost of demo and haul away was $600 + beer. He put in a 30' x 26' garage. The concrete was 6 sack with fiber mesh in it and cost $110 a yd.. The pad was 6" thick and had #4 rebar every 18". With the contactor doing the prep, pour, and finishing the total was just under $5k

We just did a pad in front of my back garage - no old concrete to remove. My buddy brought over a Bobcat, we dug it out and put in 8" of 23A Highway mix and tamped it down in 3 lifts. I formed it up and put rebar with wire mesh down. I had a contractor do the pour and finish work for $660 ($1 per sq foot). Concrete was 6 sack with fiber mesh. Should have taken 12 yds, but my screeding was not perfect so it came out to be 14 yds @ $105 a yd. The total came out to be $2800.

We are in Michigan so cost can vary widely depending on location

Dave
________
Chrysler sohc v6 engine specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_SOHC_V6_engine)

sberry
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Inch and a half thick? That will bust easily with sledge hammer, toss in dumpster or haul it off.

billyg555
07-28-2010, 10:24 AM
thank you everyone for the timely replies, all this info has been very useful.