View Full Version : Re chroming old tools

jabberwoki
07-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Has any body gone this far? I`d like to re do some of my older ratty p&cs to make them look better.

Lump
07-29-2010, 12:46 AM
I recently connected with an old classmate from high school, and she told me that her and her husband are in the chrome plating biz in my city. I mentioned that I had wondered about re-plating old tools, and she promised to set up a meeting between her husband and I, to see if it could be done cost effectively. I'll try to do that late in August, or mid Sept. Then I will post my results on this forum.

jabberwoki
07-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I recently connected with an old classmate from high school, and she told me that her and her husband are in the chrome plating biz in my city. I mentioned that I had wondered about re-plating old tools, and she promised to set up a meeting between her husband and I, to see if it could be done cost effectively. I'll try to do that late in August, or mid Sept. Then I will post my results on this forum.

Great i`m going to hit up a chrome shop tomorow and do the same. Maybee the costs could be kept low if we striped and filled in any rust pitting with solder? (will this work?) then string them with copper wire and deliver them so the shop just has to dip them?

Professur
07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Remember that chroming adds thickness. It might not be a whole lot, but it adds up.

billymade
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Here is a example of some "re-chromed" Plomb wrenches; I think they look cool! :)

http://plombtools.com/NOS.aspx

mrholeshot
07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I have some stuff plated at Nashville Plating. I don't have a wrench worth paying what they charge to plate something.

Lump
07-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I have no idea yet whether my old classmate and her husband can help me find a cost-effective way to replate some of my better wrenches. I am not very confident, but I will give it a try anyway, and report what I learn.

beelsr
07-29-2010, 10:36 PM
might want to check out gunsmiths and see if any of them do chroming or other plating. I've run across a few that do. I don't know if it would be any cheaper but if, say, one of them was local and you became friends you can trade work.

I found a local gunsmith and re-wired his garage/shop and some other construction work. I also do his personal and business taxes every year; for which he builds me a new gun. Every year.... :thumbup:

jabberwoki
07-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Here is a example of some "re-chromed" Plomb wrenches; I think they look cool! :)

http://plombtools.com/NOS.aspx

That does it i`m going to do it

Dale B
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
I'll be watching this thread too, I got lots of derusted and unplated Plombs......

jabberwoki
07-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I visited the chrome shop today said he has a $150 min but would chemicaly strip the tools them i could take them home and solder up any rust pits(this will work) and polish the ends just like factory the he will chrome em. Said could fit anywere from 30 to 40 wrenches pr batch thats around $4 each that does not seem ot bad?

quattrojon
07-30-2010, 01:37 AM
That sounds worth doing. Did he mention whether the plating would be as durable as the factory applied chrome?

rsanter
07-30-2010, 01:42 AM
you fill the pitts and defects in with silver solder and then file/sand the surface back to normal

bob

mtkst19
07-30-2010, 02:06 AM
man, i have a set of european mk1 golf bumpers i want to get rechromed, and i cant find anyone to touch them for less than 600. these bumpers are straight bars smaller than usa rabbit bumpers. i'd hate to pay to get an old caddy bumper redone.

how the hell did detroit chrome everything back in the day? is this a lost art or something? im tempted to learn how to do it seeing how much it costs to have done.

atari
07-30-2010, 05:43 AM
its the EPA thats killing the industry. the regulations that they place on said companys is slowly driving prices up and lots of little companys out of busness. The chemicals are horrid for the enviroment. I talked to some people about building a set up in my garage for small stuff but I dont know if I can get the chemicals.

gtiboy66
07-30-2010, 09:46 AM
man, i have a set of european mk1 golf bumpers i want to get rechromed, and i cant find anyone to touch them for less than 600. these bumpers are straight bars smaller than usa rabbit bumpers. i'd hate to pay to get an old caddy bumper redone.

how the hell did detroit chrome everything back in the day? is this a lost art or something? im tempted to learn how to do it seeing how much it costs to have done.

Where are you located?
I had a set done in California for $300
There is also a place here in Jersey that does great work pretty cheep. They specialize in VW stuff.

Bolster
07-30-2010, 12:16 PM

EPA as mentioned. Hexavalent chromium is a carcinogen. Most likely to attack lungs, kidney, intestine. Not to mention the cyanide bath required. That's why your best chrome is now coming out of less developed countries, because they don't have the health laws of developed countries, and can still use all the "bad" chemicals that make chrome "good."

In 2007, a Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) was issued banning hexavalent chromium in Europe.

There must be workarounds and alternative chemicals being used at local chrome shops. Question is, can they put the chrome on as well as the OEM, or an OEM from Taiwan, for example.

No, it's not something you do in your back yard.

jabberwoki
07-31-2010, 12:45 AM
That sounds worth doing. Did he mention whether the plating would be as durable as the factory applied chrome?

He did not mention that i`ll ask him this week

jabberwoki
07-31-2010, 12:49 AM
This is the place i was talking about Electrofinising,inc. in Kent WA. The owner is Mike Wheeler. Email mikew-efi@qwestoffice.net