View Full Version : question

Deafautotech
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
i saw used snap on MG31 that make torque up to 300ft lbs and sell 99.99 dollars in pawn store last day. i wonder if it is good deal or not. i did test it with air compressor in pawn store. but i was concern about trigger that seem little loose to me. but all red paints over body are gone as i think it dragging on shop floor or abuse bad on body. so i thought to ask you if it is good deal or not.

99.99 dollars for used (maybe abuse bad) than buy new one for almost 320 dollars in tool truck.

but i bought blue point univeral brake caliper to screw rear caliper on honda to go back full to replace brakes on rear of honda. It is sell new for 228.00 :shocking: dollars but pawn store sell it for 59.99 dollars:thumbup: but i was with store manager to pay for it but i found out that they mark 5 dollars off so i paid for 59.49 dollars. i found that set not look like used much. it look like used for less than 8 time.

it is hell good deal as i had friend that need replace rear brake rotors and pads and i had one mac tool but in my work as closed on saturday. so i had to bought it in pawn store. :beer: :thumbup:

then i got it screw on with my "new tool" blue point for 5 min (total time on both but replace rotor are pain my butt. i hate screws on rotors that i tried to loose but not then i had to drill head off then rotors pop out. :thumbup:

toolfreak
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't like snap on air tools. They are overpriced and don't have that much power imo. I would go for the nitrocat 3/8's impact that is similar to the IR Titanium. They aren't much more than that used snap on gun and i hear they have alot of power.

pl_silverado
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
^ toolfreak, i would agree with you in most cases, but the Snap-on MG31 & XT7100 (Magnesium Housing), those guns are just plain viscious. I have the XT7100 and it is awesome. Im currently looking for the MG31, as for whether you should buy it, i probably would if i were you. You cant go wrong. $ 100 for a used one is a great price.

toolfreak
01-21-2007, 02:07 PM
A guy at work bought the mg31 a few months ago and he said it doesn't have that much power. I was telling him about what TNT has said about the nitrocats and he is looking to buy a 3/8's. And it's half the price of snap on.

TNToy
01-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I'll repeat myself here, for you...

I've got a good bit of experience with the IR 2115, and the Snap-On MG31 impacts. I've owned a Snap-On IM31, and currently have a 3/8" Nitrocat.

For power, my pick would be the IR. In 1/2" drive, the IR and the Nitrocat are very closely matched. But in 3/8... the IR is noticeably stronger than the Nitrocat is. Not by a whole lot, but it does have more oomph to it.

That said, I'm happy I went with the Nitrocat. This thing is amazingly quiet, even being used to the 1/2" nitrocat... it's QUIET. Very strong for it's size, it removes lugnuts without a problem on most vehicles. Sure, you'll need a 1/2" impact to buzz them off of cars with over-torqued lugnuts, or if the car isn't serviced regularly and they're rusty. But 75% of the cars I see, it'll pull them right off.

And I use it in place of the 1/2" for removal because it's so LIGHT. Your arm doesn't get sore holding it up for five minutes.

Regarding the MG31... I don't like it. It's average in every way, except for price. Not that strong, not that light, and not that quiet. Nothing special, IMO. If it was in really good shape, I'd suggest you buy it, sell it on eBay, and use the money to buy yourself a Nitrocat or a used IR Titanium. But since it's been beat to hell, and people on eBay only buy based on appearance, I would not buy it.

kartracer55
01-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Never used an MG31 but I do use IM31's regularly, and I really dont think they are worth the price new.

BUT... on the note of snap on's, you can just rebuild them over and over. They also seem to run forever, as one of the guys bought his used a bunuch of years ago and just rebuilds the thing every year or so. Not the highest in performance, not the lightest but it is definetly a QUALITY tool.

Jim

toolfreak
01-21-2007, 02:59 PM
I used a 1/2" IR TI the other day at work when my 231c wouldn't take off a bolt. So i borrowed the Titanium and it did struggle but took the bolt out. Was alot better than getting out the 3/4 impact and taking the bolt out.

Deafautotech
01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
are Mg31 good for work on transmission and differentail area as pull transmission and pull differential housing as i did few time before but i had used IM31 as i bought it for 75 dollars and it is few months old and i like it but just concern that it maybe not loose bolts or something that i dont want use 1/2dr impact wrench all time.

i can go to buy MG31 and return it if it dont work right at pawn store.

Deafautotech
01-21-2007, 03:47 PM
i found out that snap on stop sell IM31 anymore. it is MG31.

kartracer55
01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
I wouldnt worry too much. The IM31 handles most smaller fasteners pretty well

Deafautotech
01-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I just hate to break my air tools as i am careful and lube almost often when i used it. but while i work in dealership that i use 1/2dr impact wrench all times. as i had 2135ti, snap on IM5100, and mac tool AW434. all impact wrenches are work great but just have ready if one of them break down then i have other ready instead have borrow from other tech.

i would think about buy MG31 but i maybe try talk to make price down little so i can buy it for cheap. unless it is bad idea. i am like to have opinions from you.....

pl_silverado
01-21-2007, 04:10 PM
^ Offer them $ 75 for it, the worst they can do is say no. Im going to be buying one on ebay pretty soon.

Deafautotech
01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
are you plan to buy like MG31? i maybe go there again later this week to see what pawn store sell. i am not hurry to see if they still have MG31 but i just keep my eye open at pawn store to see if they sell special tool but i will look if they still sell MG31 (if still then i maybe ask for store manager to talk about make a deal)