View Full Version : Which brand of shingles should I buy for my roof?

ovilla
09-23-2010, 01:16 AM
*Sorry for the long thread here but the background info is needed.

I've been getting quotes for a new roof (replacement of shingles), so I'm doing research on each vendor and their preferred brand of shingles. I found one local company that is very reputable, has an A+ BBB rating (only 2 complaints in last 2 years - both resolved), has been in business since 2003, and which gave me over 100 addresses for roofing references (which I used to talk to 3 owners so far - all of which were VERY happy with this roofing company). Finally, they can, and have, completed entire tear-offs in one day, which is how long they said it would take to do my roof.

After initially telling the roofing company that I was definitely going with them, I was told that I needed to pick my shingle brand/line, style, and color by end of day tomorrow (Thursday) so that they could install it on Monday of next week.

By the way, they only use/install IKO branded shingles, namely the Cambridge LT, 30 AR (Algae Resistant), and 30, as well as the Roofshake 40 line. All of these shingles can be purchased in traditional 3-tab or architectural style (which I'm leaning towards).

Here's the only problem.

I started doing further research on their product line (IKO) and found a ton of negative reviews (supporting product/warranty issues with 6-13 yr old roofs), and even discovered class action lawsuits in Canada, and about 8-9 US states (including my beloved Illinois). Listed under their list of shingle "brands/lines" (all of which were developed by IKO and identified as "organic") is about 20+ brands, but not the ones listed above.

So, I'm looking for some advice here. I'm thinking of postponing the install so I can do more research. I will also be asking the roofing company about all of the negative press and IKO class action suit.

Finally, what brands of shingles do you like and have you ever heard of any issues with them? I'm especially interested in anybody who has used IKO in the last 5-10 years.

Thanks

AMCguy
09-23-2010, 01:30 AM
I have not used IKO shingles but I did use their Cool Grey underlayment. It is a top notch product.

I used Malarkey Northwest XL architectural shingles on my shop roof three years ago and on my house this last year. I'll use them again on my next build.

I saved $7,000 on my house and $10,000 by doing it myself.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q281/tached_out/100_1663.jpg

DEnd
09-23-2010, 01:57 AM
There are a couple of red flags for me. #1 us the complaints with the BBB, though it does say something that they were resolved. #2 is the time it takes for a complete tear-off... yes they can be done in a day, but the more complicated the roof the longer it will take. I don't know you roof... so knowing nothing about it a one day tear off and replace is suspect to me. #3 is that they want you to make a decision so quickly.

Good roofers are hard to find, though there are plenty of them out there. My advice as far as roofers go is do some research about proper flashing techniques and get up on the roof and inspect it for yourself as they are doing it. The Vast majority of problems with roofing come from the installation.

This month's Issue of Fine Homebuilding (nov 2010) has some good information on shingles in it.

For impact resistance look for shingles with a UL 2218 Class 4 certification, these can withstand a 2" steel ball traveling at 90 mph.

For Wind Resistance look for shingles with the UL 2390 Class H certification.

I like the UL certifications as United Labratories (UL) takes samples from random batches and independantly tests them. I am unaware of a longevity test for Shingles from the UL.

So to sum this post up, find a Shingle that has a UL 2218 Class 4 certification, and a UL 2390 Class H certification.

NUTTSGT
09-23-2010, 07:16 AM
I have Owens-Corning shingles on my house. I put them on myself and haven't had a single problem.
http://roofing.owenscorning.com/homeowner/index.aspx

Oakridge, in Estate Gray.

BTW, I'd recommend a demensional shingle over a 3 tab.

wantedabiggergarage
09-23-2010, 11:33 AM
From what I have been told (former neighbor roofer), Organic, means asphalt shingle, verses Fiberglass.

mmhouse
09-23-2010, 11:37 AM
From what I have been told (former neighbor roofer), Organic, means asphalt shingle, verses Fiberglass.

Close. Organic vs. Fiberglass refers to the raw mat that is used. All are then impregnated with asphalt and then covered with colored minerals.

Crooked Beat
09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Take a look at the current issue of Fine Homebuilding - discusses shingles in detail

tdkkart
09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
8-12 years ago alot of people around here put Certainteed shingles on their roofs.
Today they are replacing them all.

GarageEnvy
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm not an expert on roofing materials but I did just have my roof replaced a couple of months ago and did similar research. The Malarkey brand was highly recommended here as well but GAF/Elk and Certainteed dominate our market. In the end it was a debate between the Certainteed Presidential and GAF/Elk Grand Sequoia (might have been Grand Canyon or some other Grand something). Both were "lifetime" rated dimensional shingles. In the end the GAF/Elf was a little bit cheaper and they had a promotional upgrade on their warranty. Also the certified GAF/Elk installer (who also would have done Certainteed) was our favorite and the most widely recommended. Aesthetically I thought the differences between the brands was very small.

southernfriedcj
09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
I put (actually, had someone put)Elk shingles on hundreds of homes, including my own.

Wingnut65
09-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Not familiar with the IKO brand. We sepcify GAF/Elk Timberline products on all our shingle projects. Never have had a problem with them.

Kev442
09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I have personally seen the curling at ten years of the Certainteed shingles. Not a pretty sight. Neighbor ended up reshingling the entire house.

wineslob
09-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I have Owens-Corning shingles on my house. I put them on myself and haven't had a single problem.
http://roofing.owenscorning.com/homeowner/index.aspx

Oakridge, in Estate Gray.

BTW, I'd recommend a demensional shingle over a 3 tab.

+1 Great roof, and cost less than most (I have the same). Had mine done in 2001.

Herb
09-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't know about the brand, but I would look at solar reflective shingles if I had to do it again.

Herb
09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
I really should post more often so I can look at Brooke's a$$. This shot just does it for me...

gatchel
09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
GAF shingles here...

GTO
09-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Timberline 30 year shingle,from a roofing supply,not HD.

metal1313
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
i have installed timberline and like them, just a plain 3tab though. i must say i envy you guys who can install shingles on your house. i have slate on mine, and must replace it with a slate type material, more than likey a composite slate material..aka money

aqr81
09-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I am going with CertainTeed Presidential TL Ultimate. Lifetime warranty and look great.

ovilla
09-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Question about the Lifetime warranty.

This just means that the shingles are warrantied for the entire time that you have them installed, right? This doesn't in any way imply that the shingles themselves will last a lifetime and can/could wear out just as fast as a 30 year shingle, correct?

BigE
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
I had my roof done in the Spring. I considered GAF/Elk and Owens Corning AR. OC was top rated by Consumer Reports and had the better design in my opinion. My roofer uses Tamko, a local brand. I was not impressed with the Tamko and ended up finding the OC AR shingles I wanted for cheaper than he could get the Tamkos! I was a little worried with the crew he used, but aside from a few minor issues that have been addressed, no problems so far. I'm very satisfied with my decision to go with the OC. I'm still recovering from writing the check for the labor, though. Ouch!

nate379
09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Malarkey is what I have on the house and will have on my shed. Have help up to close to 100mph winds without any tearing off. (yeah gets windy here)

mmhouse
09-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Malarkey are good in my experience. I chose to use Pabco Premier laminated shingles...http://www.pabcoroofing.com/pabco_premier_laminated_shingles.html.

I saw them on a house and they looked great...better than any other 'dimensional' I've seen. Pabco has a process that makes the bottom edge thicker than most so they really look good on the roof. Unfortunately you can't tell much my the pictures on their website.

I've had them on my house for 8 years and so far they are holding up well.

If you're interested let me know and I'll take a photo.

Rickstir
09-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Metal, with solar reflecting qualities. Guaranteed 50 years. Light color

KMR Construction
09-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I am a big fan of the Elk/GAF shingles, get the 110mph wind rating. They also have a new ridge cap thats 3 layers and rated for 110mph, and make sure then install the caps with 2 nails per side

Falcon67
09-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Don't care. REALLY - don't care. We put on whatever is the base line. Was Owens-Corning (which resulted in a warranty claim about 5 years in), not sure what's up there now. Have to go look. I think they are GAF.

Why I don't care - because it is very likely in my lifetime that I won't have to pay much out of pocket for it. Every 10~15 years we are going to get the shit kicked out of us by a massive hail storm. We're currently on our second roof since 1997. Buying a more expensive, decorative shingle is just throwing money away in this area. We discussed this with the roofing company we use and their sales guy was actually the one that brought it up. His basic idea was that if they did a good, quick job and didn't hit us for stuff we didn't need, we'd call them back when the next storm came around. And we did. I think we are about 25 square with 3 gables, two valleys and no hips, so 2-3 days and they are here and gone. Any pops, problems, etc - we call and they come right out. When I did the warranty claim on the Owens (all cracked across the face of the exposure) They came out and pulled a couple for us at no charge. Pretty decent IMHO.

When I built the shop, there was a family roofing crew renting the house behind us. I bought the materials and for $200 cash - bang, fresh roof on the shop in one afternoon.

Hutch
09-27-2010, 10:04 PM
My good friend is a contractor here in Wyoming, I've worked for him on and off for the last few years, usually helping with fence projects (read:post hole digging) and roofing. He is super detail and quality oriented b/c he doesn't want to have to redo a job down the road. The last 3 out four roofs we did we used Malarkey architectural shingles, and the the last one (garage) we used Owens Corning to match the house. The Malarkey seem heavier and fewer of them tore than the owens corning did, even putting them on in windy conditions. It gets real windy here, and the Malarkeys hold up well in my experience, they are on my house to, put on about seven years ago, a year before I bought the place.

Robinhood
09-27-2010, 10:46 PM
GAF shingles here...

Me as well and love them. Did tons of research too and found very little negative.

KevDawg
09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I always prefer to use IKO shingles and have never had a problem.
I prefer them to BP Shingles.
I'e done over 100 roofs. 95% of the IKO.

oldgoaly
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Buy best shingles on the market, cause labor cost the same to put the on. gaf/elk were the best when last checked. or go for the metal roofing, add a layer of foam insulation to cut down on the noise!!!

Car54
09-28-2010, 08:43 PM
GAF/Elk here. Some manufacturers of shingles won't warranty them if they are not installed by their qualified installer. Make sure your installer is experienced with the manufacturers warranty and that they can file the warranty for you.

cowboyjosh
09-29-2010, 01:07 AM
When I build a home for folks I spec GAF/ELK unless they specifically want something else. Here in Colorado like Texas every so many years we get Hail FU@&ed so super expensive roofs are a waste a money for the most part. GAF/ELK also seems to be a little more hail tolerant then Owens Corning, but that's just the opinion of some folks. Certainteed also makes a fine product, we install allot of Certainteed fiber cement lap siding and allot of Certainteed vinyl windows, warranty wise any time we have had problems Certainteed took care of it quickly.

ovilla
09-29-2010, 03:32 PM
New shingles are going on today. By the time I left for work this morning, the crew of 6 had half the roof off already. They are installing roughly 100 squares (2,800 squared ft roof) plus my new 4" vent for the future Hot Dawg (HD60 or HD75) garage heater. They said they'll be done by end of day, so that will be a ONE day install. Anyway, pics to come later of the new IKO Cambridge (architectural) 30 AR (Algea resistant) shingles. Also getting new siding on part of the chimney.

dacaldar
06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi, I just joined because I also wanted to know about whether I should pay more and avoid IKO Cambridge AR, or if most people are happy with them. The forum encouraged me to make my first post, so here it is. If ovilla or anyone else has updated comments on the quality / longevity of them, please let me know!

Thanks,
David

Old Moparz
06-18-2013, 09:22 AM
New shingles are going on today. By the time I left for work this morning, the crew of 6 had half the roof off already. They are installing roughly 100 squares (2,800 squared ft roof) plus my new 4" vent for the future Hot Dawg (HD60 or HD75) garage heater. They said they'll be done by end of day, so that will be a ONE day install. Anyway, pics to come later of the new IKO Cambridge (architectural) 30 AR (Algea resistant) shingles. Also getting new siding on part of the chimney.

I just put the same shingles on my house last year, the IKO Cambridge, & they seemed fine to me. It was the first time I used that brand & not sure how much of a difference there will actually be compared to other similarly priced shingles. When I built my garage 16 years ago I tried to match the house but didn't know what brand & exact color that was on it. I had used Owens Corning, the Oakridge 2 line if I recall. The plan was to use that on the house but the same roofing supplier said it was discontinued so I ended up getting the IKO.

I like the color & shading I got with the IKO better so hopefully when the garage needs to be re-roofed that one won't be discontinued. :eyecrazy:

You can see the difference in the colors in the photo....