View Full Version : Sears policy on returns w/o a receipt

bw77
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I contacted Sears customer service to ask what the policy is on returning an item without a receipt, like a gift, for store credit. Here's their answer:

----------------------------
We regret to inform you that we do require a receipt for all returns. We are unable to issue a store credit to you for a return without a receipt.
----------------------------

So that would mean that if I got a Christmas gift from someone who bought that gift at Sears, and I do not have the receipt, I can't exchange it for a different item at Sears? I don't mean a different size or color, but something totally different, like exchange a shirt I don't want for a tool.

Anyone know if that is really the way it's done at store level?

Junkman
09-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Today, many stores are issuing a "gift" receipt that allows the person getting the gift to return it and get a store credit. The gift receipt doesn't have a dollar value on it, only a bar code that refers back to the original sales receipt. This has been very successful at stopping shop lifting fraud. You might not like it, but times are a changing, and we have to change with the times... :thumbup:

rsieracki
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
ive been told a "person" can have only X amount (never defined) of un receipted returns per 90 days.... they imput your name address etc.... now if you have multiple addresses maybe it doesnt track you i really dont know...

i did something similar when i exchanged 9 or so RW&B basic cman screwdrivers to get store credit and added a few bucks to buy a 5pc proset.

2_lude
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
You can return items w/o receipt. You can only return a certain amount in a year. They will give you store credit and ask for your drivers license.

beelsr
09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
1. if you're returning those shallow sockets to get the deeps, you can return it no problem. I've done it a few times, as recently as a month or two ago. One store just did the exchange and didn't even ring it up, another did a receipt-less return and gave me change back (I was returning something worth more than what I wanted).

2. if you're returning the shallow sockets to get a shirt or something, you'll just need to give them your driver's license and they'll punch it into the computer to make sure you're not a shoplifter returning stuff. not a big deal at all....

cowboyjosh
10-01-2010, 01:13 AM
I HATE Sears; Im surprised they are still in business; clearly a proud company that has not kept up with the times; many times now Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy; can all do a credit card lookup, meaning you don't need the original receipt, only the credit card the merchandise was purchased with; doesn't help with a gift card or cash purchase, but still better then Sears that is as old school as old school retailing can get.

MichaelP
10-01-2010, 01:49 AM
...Sears that is as old school as old school retailing can get. Not really. Now, instead of old school tools, they carry a variety of modern ones proudly made in China.

bw77
10-01-2010, 05:34 AM
I HATE Sears; Im surprised they are still in business; clearly a proud company that has not kept up with the times; many times now Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy; can all do a credit card lookup, meaning you don't need the original receipt, only the credit card the merchandise was purchased with; doesn't help with a gift card or cash purchase, but still better then Sears that is as old school as old school retailing can get.

Sears does that. Last week I returned a few items I bought on sears.com, forgot my receipts. Gave them my credit card, they looked it up and gave me the refund to my card.

Keep
10-01-2010, 07:55 AM

And just how are you going to know the credit card number of the person that gave the GIFT to you?

warmpancakes
10-01-2010, 09:47 AM
they returned some stuff the other day for me, gift card only