View Full Version : preventing morning frost on the car windshield

tpolley
12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
is there a way to prevent frost on my windshield in the mornings? i don't always have time to let the car warm up before i leave for work. on top of that i park in the street and i don't need the car driving off whilst i'm inside getting ready to leave.

willymakeit
12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Remote start. No key in ignition means steering is locked.

Daddy_Rabbit
12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
park in the garage ...

X1 Mike
12-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I found the surefire cure about five years ago. I moved from Michigan to Florida, haven't had frost on my windshield since. :beer:

ranger_dood
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
An old towel over the windshield always worked for me. Now I park under a carport and don't have to worry.

Dewaynep
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
How about a scraper?

LEVE
12-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Spray the window with vinegar/water mix... it should prevent ice/snow build up. Three parts vinegar and one part water.

TAMPAGT07
12-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Smash out the windshield.....Crystal clear view....Never need wiper's and washer fluid again..

zer01
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Bucket of warm water?

LEVE
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Bucket of warm water? Yep, it works... but it can also cause a windshield to shatter. Don't ask me how I know...

Sawbladz
12-02-2010, 11:27 AM
There are windshield covers that you put on the night before. Same idea as the old towel. Covers the windshield and doesnt allow falling snow/ice to stick to it. The windshield will still be foggy though. Remote start would be a win.

Bruce Lancaster
12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Use windshield washer fluid with sufficiently low freezing point for your weather. If what you have freezes when it hits the windshield, find a better brand or pour some rubbing alcohol into the container.
If your cleaning fluid stays liquid, the wipers will get rid of the frost right away.

1Garageman
12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Make it into a RedNeck convertible with out a windshield and then you won't have to worry about it!

danfromsyr
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Pretty much as Lancaster says, add some rubbing alcohol to your fluid. :thumbup:
My father always used a garden pump sprayer with RainX Deicer fluid. a quick walk around and swish of the wipers.
I found a battery operated spray wand/nozzle that has a hose & cap that fits a standard washerfluid bottle. I keep in the trunk.
Pull the trigger and walk around the windows.
and if there's a 1/4" of solid ice, light the alcohol on fire :shocking:

Use windshield washer fluid with sufficiently low freezing point for your weather. If what you have freezes when it hits the windshield, find a better brand or pour some rubbing alcohol into the container.
If your cleaning fluid stays liquid, the wipers will get rid of the frost right away.

Ray-CA
12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Head into your local auto-parts store for a can of de-icing spray. Here is a link to the Rain-X product (http://www.rainx.com/products/Windshield_Treatment/De-Icer.aspx)

We keep a can in each vehicle all winter. Works in seconds.

Ray

A1an
12-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Smash out the windshield.....Crystal clear view....Never need wiper's and washer fluid again..

I tried this but now I have issues with frost on my seats, gauge cluster, steering wheel, etc. What do I do now?

TAMPAGT07
12-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I tried this but now I have issues with frost on my seats, gauge cluster, steering wheel, etc. What do I do now?

Easy....Remove seats, gauge cluster, steering wheel, etc....Problem solved....:spit:

Wingnut65
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM
'Move to Florida' is still an option

TAMPAGT07
12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
'Move to Florida' is still an option

That's what I did....Not as easy as just smashing out the window though...

A1an
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Plus you can still get frost/ice on windshields in FL.

Bull
12-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Great tip about the rubbing alcohol in the washer fluid to prevent contact-freeze! Thanks, Bruce.

eborcim
12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
how about a plug in 12V heater? Just make sure your battery is good.

Cutch
12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Being from Northern Ontario it was something I always lived with growing up....my Mom and Dad would just warm up the car and break out the scrapper.

Nowadays I have a heated garage and a remote start.

But when I lived in Vancouver a couple of years ago people would just take newspaper and put it under the wipers..it looked strange but I don't think anybody stole them

dawg
12-02-2010, 12:26 PM
LOl some outlandish remedies hehe.
Ok here is the quikest easiest way to prevent frost.
get a piece of plastick sheeting or a large garbage bag cut to fit windsheild with a bit of overlap.
lay the plastic over windsheild and hold bottom inplace with the wipers.
tuck the top corners in the door .
also makes it easy to clean off the snow.

sberry
12-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Garage parking or better yet heated garage parking.

cheap bastard
12-02-2010, 12:27 PM
That's what I did....Not as easy as just smashing out the window though...

Hmmmmm, Having no windshield in Michigan or having bikini clad women 10 months a year or more in Florida. :thumbup:I think the latter is more expensive, but easier. Setting the alcohol covered car on fire would be a bunch of fun.. to watch someone else do.

bazzateer
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
If your annoying neighbour uses the newspaper option pour a bucket of water over the paper in the night, it will soak the paper which will then freeze to the glass overnight. In the morning it'll take them ages to snap all the bits off the screen..............or so I'm told anyway.....

Stuart in MN
12-02-2010, 02:45 PM
A piece of cardboard will work, just park the wipers halfway up the windshield and use them to hold the cardboard in place. However, are you really in that much of a hurry that you can't take 30 seconds to scrape the windshield with a scraper?

Start the car, get out and scrape, and then get back in and go. Your car will be a lot happier, too, since you won't be tearing out of the driveway on a stone cold engine.

electrodude
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
LOl some outlandish remedies hehe.
Ok here is the quikest easiest way to prevent frost.
get a piece of plastick sheeting or a large garbage bag cut to fit windsheild with a bit of overlap.
lay the plastic over windsheild and hold bottom inplace with the wipers.
tuck the top corners in the door .
also makes it easy to clean off the snow.

X2

Yeah, I just bought a cheap green tarp at Harbor Freight, cut it to fit for my daughters subaru and my wife's van, I think it cost me $8? Put the wipers on top of the tarp, tuck corners in door like you said, easy as pie.:thumbup: