View Full Version : Matco vs Mac vs Snap on?

kgwld1
05-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Well, how do matco wrenches compare to mac,snap on?

Kevin

eschoendorff
05-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Everyone will have an opinion on this.

Something that I found interesting:

Go to Lowes. Look at the current line of Kobalt wrenches (made by Danaher... same manufacturer as Matco). They look very similar to the Matco version, minus the pretty chrome plating. Ore maybe it's just me.

My .02...

tomstin
05-10-2005, 10:17 AM
From personal experiece, if you are going to make your living using them, you can't go wrong with SnapOn. For the weekend mechanic who uses them regularly, Matco, MAC and Sears will serve you well. For that emergency set in the trunk, Harbor Freight is fine. Then again, Harbor Freight has more than one line, but I think you get the point.

GearHead_1
05-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Interesting question and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of different opinions on the subject. I'm an ASE Certified Master Technician and I own tools by all three manufacturers you mentioned (I own over $35,000 in hand tools/boxes etc. at yesterday's prices). For a few years when tax time rolled around I would declare Snap On Tools as a legal dependent. I've tried/owned them all. I personally believe that Snap On makes the best wrench hands down. They fit ME better than the other wrenches. Having said that I have worked side by side with other Technicians who have the Mac and Matco wrenches and they love them equally as well and have never failed them. I have used their wrenches from time to time and found them to be great tools as well. Later in my career I managed a couple of districts of Automotive Repair/ Tire-Battery service centers. I was able to purchase Craftsman (and I don't mean the Sears line, it's their cheap product and you don't want it) tools literally at cost. Even with a price break like this I didn't use their product proffesionally though I've got a lot of them at home. Snap On wrenches literally cost me 3 times as much. I've never felt that Craftsman wrenches were quite in the same league as the others mentioned. I do however believe that there is a bare minimum that a wrench has to equal in order to own it. Craftsman wrenches certainly meet that criteria especially their proffesional line of wrenches (take a look at this line). I really like many of Craftsman's plier line better than some of the Snap On products so I'm not just hammering this manufacturer.

Snap On doesn't have the secret formula for building a great wrench. One may be able to argue that their Flank Drive set up is best but I can't say that's the case. Other manufacturers can forge their steel in the same manner and their design may fit YOU better. You're really paying for their weekly Tool Wagon drop in visit, warranty and in some cases their financing arrangements. Snap On just happens to be my favorite. I don't believe that this wrench is for everyone, in fact if you aren't a proffesional (using them 8 hours everyday) or don't have a good chunk of change laying around I would say they aren't the wrench for you and probably wouldn't recommend them. The others are too good, accomplish the same goal and at a more attractive price point. I don't mean to imply the average guy wouldn't appreciate the Snap On wrench, there are just better ways to spend your money.

I also don't believe that any one manufacturer makes the best of all products. As I already said I like Craftsman pliers. I like Vice Grip pliers also. I like MAC screwdrivers, I don't like Craftsman screwdrivers. You have to look around and find a product that feels good to you, assuming they have a lifetime warranty and are at a price you like give them a try. From the brands mentioned here (I haven't tried Harbor Freight wrenches) you probably can't buy a bad wrench.

kgwld1
05-10-2005, 08:30 PM
I have mostly snap on tools (85%) I do have some pro crafstmans they seem to be ok. I had all flank drive plus wrenches they were stolen so I asked the question just to see other peoples thoughts. I don't wrench for aliving anymore but still do quite a bit. I have no problem buying snap on they are pricey but the guy comes right to my house, can't beat that. I'm over 50 grand in tools so whats some more. lol

Kevin

eschoendorff
05-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Interesting question and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of different opinions on the subject. I'm an ASE Certified Master Technician and I own tools by all three manufacturers you mentioned (I own over $35,000 in hand tools/boxes etc. at yesterday's prices). For a few years when tax time rolled around I would declare Snap On Tools as a legal dependent. I've tried/owned them all. I personally believe that Snap On makes the best wrench hands down. They fit ME better than the other wrenches. Having said that I have worked side by side with other Technicians who have the Mac and Matco wrenches and they love them equally as well and have never failed them. I have used their wrenches from time to time and found them to be great tools as well. Later in my career I managed a couple of districts of Automotive Repair/ Tire-Battery service centers. I was able to purchase Craftsman (and I don't mean the Sears line, it's their cheap product and you don't want it) tools literally at cost. Even with a price break like this I didn't use their product proffesionally though I've got a lot of them at home. Snap On wrenches literally cost me 3 times as much. I've never felt that Craftsman wrenches were quite in the same league as the others mentioned. I do however believe that there is a bare minimum that a wrench has to equal in order to own it. Craftsman wrenches certainly meet that criteria especially their proffesional line of wrenches (take a look at this line). I really like many of Craftsman's plier line better than some of the Snap On products so I'm not just hammering this manufacturer.

Snap On doesn't have the secret formula for building a great wrench. One may be able to argue that their Flank Drive set up is best but I can't say that's the case. Other manufacturers can forge their steel in the same manner and their design may fit YOU better. You're really paying for their weekly Tool Wagon drop in visit, warranty and in some cases their financing arrangements. Snap On just happens to be my favorite. I don't believe that this wrench is for everyone, in fact if you aren't a proffesional (using them 8 hours everyday) or don't have a good chunk of change laying around I would say they aren't the wrench for you and probably wouldn't recommend them. The others are too good, accomplish the same goal and at a more attractive price point. I don't mean to imply the average guy wouldn't appreciate the Snap On wrench, there are just better ways to spend your money.

I also don't believe that any one manufacturer makes the best of all products. As I already said I like Craftsman pliers. I like Vice Grip pliers also. I like MAC screwdrivers, I don't like Craftsman screwdrivers. You have to look around and find a product that feels good to you, assuming they have a lifetime warranty and are at a price you like give them a try. From the brands mentioned here (I haven't tried Harbor Freight wrenches) you probably can't buy a bad wrench.

This is the MOST sensible tool review/advice I think I've ever come across. :beer: :beer: :beer:

GearHead_1
05-11-2005, 06:11 PM
This is the MOST sensible tool review/advice I think I've ever come across. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Thank you.

kgwld1
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Went with the mac Ks2's while on the truck also bought grand worth of other stuff.

Kevin

armoredsaintt
05-27-2005, 09:47 PM
I have mostly snap on tools (85%) I do have some pro crafstmans they seem to be ok. I had all flank drive plus wrenches they were stolen so I asked the question just to see other peoples thoughts. I don't wrench for aliving anymore but still do quite a bit. I have no problem buying snap on they are pricey but the guy comes right to my house, can't beat that. I'm over 50 grand in tools so whats some more. lol

Kevin

got a pic? i would like to see what $50k in tools look like!

jstbecauz
05-28-2005, 04:22 AM
I would have to agree with what was said. I would suggest if you are not going to use the tools every day then save your money and get a less expensive tool, the quality will not be there but it will serve its duty. In my opinion you can not get a better hand tool than Snap-On. If I had to estimate I would say that I have about $100,000 in tools at this time, and about 90% of all my tools, not just hand tools are Snap-On. But as stated before for the weekender you will be satisfied with Sears brand.

danski0224
05-28-2005, 10:06 AM
got a pic? i would like to see what $50k in tools look like!

$50k in Snap-On might not buy as much as you think....

kgwld1
05-28-2005, 09:05 PM
That's for sure.

Lol,Kevin

Merkava_4
08-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Snap On doesn't have the secret formula for building a great wrench.

I'd have to disagree with that.

Snap-on is one of the most secretive companies out there. No one knows where they buy their steel from; no one knows their forging and machining practices; no one knows their exact heat treatment procedures; ... I could go on and on.

kythri
08-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Holy 3 year old post resurrection, Batman!

And seriously - let's not pretend that Snap-On has some ancient forumula for forging steel that nobody else has.

Merkava_4
08-18-2008, 08:29 AM

Yeah I'm getting impatient; you guys just aren't producing enough threads.

Uncle Buck
08-18-2008, 09:42 AM

And seriously - let's not pretend that Snap-On has some ancient forumula for forging steel that nobody else has.

AGREED! :beer:

Moose-LandTran
08-18-2008, 10:51 AM

Maybe they do, PB Swiss Tools say in their catalogue they use a special steel in their screwdrivers and other tools, a "formula" developed over years with their steel suppliers.

eschoendorff
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM

No shit. Secrecy is great for marketing. Steel is steel. There are only so many varieties and so many ways to treat/form steel.

goodfellow
08-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Will somebody "pleeeaase" pass the popcorn while I get out my easy chair.

I think it'll be easier for scientists to find a unified theory of relativity before anyone will ever settle this MAC/MATCO/SNAP-ON debate. :headscrat

Carry on !!!

eschoendorff
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Will somebody "pleeeaaseee" pass the popcorn while I get out my easy chair.

I think it'll be easier for scientists to find a unified theory of relativity before anyone will ever settle this MAC/MATCO/SNAP-ON debate. :headscrat

Carry on !!!

Uncle Buck is making a pot of kettle corn right now. It's really good stuff... but it'll make you poop! :bounce:

speed bump
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Snap-on is one of the most secretive companies out there. No one knows where they buy their steel from; no one knows their forging and machining practices; no one knows their exact heat treatment procedures; ... I could go on and on.

Well if your that curious I suggest talking to a metalurgist, a couple thousand dollars and a few days and he could tell you alot about Snap-ons drop forging practices and the strengths and weaknesses of it.

nismomans13
08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I have all Matco ratchets, I love them, I just can't justify the cost of Snap-On for me only being a weekend warrior in the garage. The matco pieces just 'feel' better in my hand than my Cman pro units, i've never had the luxury of actually using a SO wrench so I can't attest to the difference.

ToolGlutton
08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
If you buy them new, Matco ratchets aren't cheaper than SO.

I have all Matco ratchets, I love them, I just can't justify the cost of Snap-On for me only being a weekend warrior in the garage. The matco pieces just 'feel' better in my hand than my Cman pro units, i've never had the luxury of actually using a SO wrench so I can't attest to the difference.

nismomans13
08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Some tools I bought direct from matco's website, others i've bought NIB on ebay so I saved there. Personally I never saw the HUGE attraction with SO. I'm sure they are great tools, but I some times wonder if they truly are that great, or if their over hyped a little. I think some things are just crazy expensive though, every socket I own is a Cman from probably 10 years ago, they didn't cost anywhere NEAR what SO, Mac or Matco cost and they have served their purpose perfectly fine over the years.

For the most part, I simply prefer the look and feel of the Matco pieces over SO. To each his own i guess, i've been called foolish by plenty of my car buddies who continue to buy 7 dollar ratchets are harbor freight and argue that they perform the same as my high dollar pieces.

Vinko
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Well if your that curious I suggest talking to a metalurgist, a couple thousand dollars and a few days and he could tell you alot about Snap-ons drop forging practices and the strengths and weaknesses of it.

Yes. That would be interesting. Get top of the line, in say, five or six of the different companies' hand wrenches, and put them to the test.

Vinko
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM

I don't think it would be *that* hard to find out about these things. Ex-employees, for instance? There are, as far as I know, only so many US steel companies who will provide for Snap. And you could find out a lot about their forging methods and composition of steel by having someone look at it.

nismomans13
08-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I just wonder as to the differences some of you say you see. I have a set of Metric and SAW Cman units, had them for years, and they have never striped a head, or broke and I've beaten on some of the larger ones with a 5lb sledge to break fasteners loose. Do some people really just buy snap on because they HAVE to have the name? So they can say "well I have Snap-On" Maybe i'll pick up a SO ratchet and see what all the fuss is about.

wrenchr
08-18-2008, 01:41 PM

It is Voodoo man!!!!!:lol_hitti

Detroit Diesel Man
08-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Personally as far as wrenches go that I use daily at work and depend on I wont own anything but Snap-On...I have sets that are 15yr old both Met and Std also in Stubby sizes. both Met and Std flare nut and cow foot as well. up to 1 1/2" absolutely love their wrenches..cant buy anything better imho I do however have a few diff brands a cuple Macs and a couple Craftsman as well as Matco..Matco/Mac/Crafstman are all "ok" but for me their is no comparison between those and a SO wrench.

DDM

mrshaun
10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
compare your ks wrenches to snap on and you will be disappointed. Have your snap on guy ( if you have one ) demonstrate the flank drive plus and watch every wrench slip off and the snap on wrench keeps going... I took a MAC KS set in trade and it took me about 2 months to get someone to buy them. I even had the replaced under warranty and still no one bit on them. Finally we marked them down and a guy took them to use at home...
try the flank drive plus and you will be amazed.

gofastman
10-13-2009, 10:27 AM
compare your ks wrenches to snap on and you will be disappointed. Have your snap on guy ( if you have one ) demonstrate the flank drive plus and watch every wrench slip off and the snap on wrench keeps going... I took a MAC KS set in trade and it took me about 2 months to get someone to buy them. I even had the replaced under warranty and still no one bit on them. Finally we marked them down and a guy took them to use at home...
try the flank drive plus and you will be amazed.

IMO, FDP really is awesome

Mr.Nutcase
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Go with snap on, skip, the craftsman flare nuts wrenches, they rounded off nuts, tried snap on, they took them off..., saving me time, instead of flaring a new line.......

mrshaun
10-13-2009, 10:42 AM
anyone see the new stubby sae 12 point sockets from Snap On 212rarf ?? great for aviation and they fit on other ratchets as well as the low profile 80tooth snap on ratchet raf80.

forceyoda
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
No love for Cornwell in the wrench discussion??

pjcforpres2020
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Holy Smokes! It is back! I really like Ace Hardware brand wrenches, nothing better!

Rnz520
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I personally like Cornwell tools, but I also love the FDP wrenches. Miles and miles ahead of my craftsman that I could afford when I started, granted those C-man have paid for themselves over and over again and will continue doing so until I buy new ones.

gravygrabber
10-14-2009, 12:23 AM
When I first entered the auto tech industry I had C-man sockets and wrenches. I bought a Snap-on box and added a set of flank drive plus metric wrenches on my first finance contract. Those C-man wrenches quickly went home and honestly I RARELY use them. The raised metal in the middle of the wrench just sucks and the finish is rough and the wrench seems thicker than it needs to be. Snap-on wrenches feel awesome in your hand like silky smooth goodness. I can't explain it just compare them for yourselfs and you'll see. The flank drive plus open end thingy is OK I wouldn't say awesome. I barely use them for extra leverage or to break anything loose. They are great for tie rod ends or flared fittings if you're lazy and don't want to get a flared wrench.
C-man professional is a pretty good wrench. I had to buy a 1/2 wrench once when the line first came out and I opted for a shiny smooth chrome pro model and I still have that wrench and it's served me well for about 10 yrs. Never had any issues with it.
If I was only a home user I would get that line of wrenches. Who am I kidding I'd get both.
I only have 3 metric sets of Snappy, 2-3 sets of Snappy STD and a set of Mac STD along with a bunch of C-man original style wrenches and various old school hand me downs like Valchek, Proto, Thorsen, etc, etc....
I have more wrenches than I'll probably ever use. Now I want to start collecting Hazet and Plomb stuff...Lol
Oh yeah I bought some Mac long Metric box end wrenches because they were like 40 cheaper. BIG MISTAKE. They tend to give where SO long wrenches just don't. I used another techs SO long wrench and immediately noticed this.
Again for the casual user you won't care or see the need to pay for SO but for the professional tech you will notice. I'm also a Master ASE tech as well.

autoace
10-14-2009, 12:30 AM

Cornwell wrenches are some of the worlds' finest, but Cornwell does not have the market impact SO and other companies have.

Dust
10-14-2009, 12:59 AM
My main wrenches are the plain Craftsman raised panels. I prefer their bulk, and the rougher texture lets me get a better grip on them when my hands are oily. I also just use the six point wrenches; I've never had good experiences with twelve point.

Every Snap-On wrench I've used has bit into my hand too much to be comfortable. I like how they're longer than my Craftsmans, but that's about it. I just don't like their feel.

I'd love a set of long pattern six point box wrenches, but sadly this seems to be something that no one makes.

olds88
10-14-2009, 01:03 AM
For that emergency set in the trunk, Harbor Freight is fine.

Until you find that you're cheap 1/2 inch wrench open end is useless for removing the fuel line from your carburetor on the side of the road trying to clear a vapor lock! :willy_nil

Yes a line wrench is more appropriate but I didn't have one in my trunk and regardless a S/O open end would work fine.

oldtools
10-14-2009, 01:33 AM

They are so secretive because they don't want anybody to know they use Chinese steel. Imagine the uproar.

gravygrabber
10-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Until you find that you're cheap 1/2 inch wrench open end is useless for removing the fuel line from your carburetor on the side of the road trying to clear a vapor lock! :willy_nil

Yes a line wrench is more appropriate but I didn't have one in my trunk and regardless a S/O open end would work fine.

Ha ha you still have a carb. on your driver?

nissan_crawler
10-14-2009, 02:13 AM

no availability = no use to me.

Mac, Matco, cornwell, not readily available, so I don't care

Merkava_4
10-14-2009, 03:39 AM
no availability = no use to me.

Mac, Matco, cornwell, not readily available, so I don't care

That's fine ... leaves more cake for me. :D

volvo420coupe
10-14-2009, 06:44 AM

This thread was started before Cornwell's major image remake, I'll bet there are as many more cornwell customers now than when this thread was started, as there are more Asian tools in the cornwell truck. (all the other brands have more Asian tools also)

psychoclaw84
10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, how do matco wrenches compare to mac,snap on?

Kevin

Matco wrenches look very similar to the Craftsman Pro wrenches, which is plausable because they are made by the same tool maker, Danaher. This is the main reason why I have not purchased them as my main set of wrenches.

Personally, I didn't like the fit and feel of MAC wrenches and do not have any personal experiences with using them.

Snap On wrenches look and feel great in your hands and they fit well on any bolt, nut. Also the design of the wrench allows the user to fit them into very tight places:thumbup:

As a result, all my wrenches are Snap On and I have been very happy with my purchase.:bounce:

t100
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
here is my take,

i have student account with all big 3 brands through my school. Matco is the single most easy one to access being my discount on every single item is clearly listed, and there's no fine prints on what i can buy and how many. i can cherry pick what ever i want.

Snap On is in the middle, i can only buy certain pre-buddled tool sets, not based on what i need.

Mac, impossible, forget it.

i met the local Matco dealer for the first time yesterday, cool dude. also, for the first time, i bought something off a tool truck, a pair of Hansen socket trays. i don't really need them(i built my own which is dirt cheap), but all because he warrantied 3 bearing slides out of the used tool box i bought. i think i'll start buying Matco form now.

olds88
10-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Ha ha you still have a carb. on your driver?

Yeah, I drive a 1985 Pontiac 6000, 2.8 60* V6, 2BBL Varajet. Problem turned out to be two-fold. The thermostat was bad, it was running 40* too hot... that actually solved most of my driveability issues. And the return line to the fuel tank was clogged. The car was sitting in a garage untouched for 6 years and the gas tank was full of rust. I installed a new tank and blew out the main fuel line but I neglected to blow out the return.

arkangel06
10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I would go with snap on over any other truck

BB26
10-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I drive a 1985 Pontiac 6000, 2.8 60* V6, 2BBL Varajet.

That was my brother's first car back in the mid 90s. He only had it for about 9 months; it was a real heap. Hope you have better luck with yours. :)

wrenchr
10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
That's fine ... leaves more cake for me. :D

Stay away from the cake Merk:lol_hitti:lol_hitti

cruiser808
10-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I drive a 1985 Pontiac 6000, 2.8 60* V6, 2BBL Varajet. Problem turned out to be two-fold. The thermostat was bad, it was running 40* too hot... that actually solved most of my driveability issues. And the return line to the fuel tank was clogged. The car was sitting in a garage untouched for 6 years and the gas tank was full of rust. I installed a new tank and blew out the main fuel line but I neglected to blow out the return.

1989 Buick Estate Wagon with an Olds 307 and EQjet (17088115) here. Also a 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with carb.

MadMark
10-14-2009, 07:39 PM
speaking of secret methods of forging steal, I had read once that they have never discovered the exact method of forging damascus steel.
I believe it was used in swords during the crusades, has anyone else heard this?

olds88
10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
1989 Buick Estate Wagon with an Olds 307 and EQjet (17088115) here. Also a 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with carb.

My last car (the one in the avatar) was an 81 Delta 88 with the 307 and E-Quad. Great car, never could get it to run well with the A/C on. At idle the ILC never worked right and I never could find a new one, and while driving with the A/C on it was a slug and even felt lean cruising. Most of the time I had it was in NYC so AC wasn't a 365 day thing like here in hell-on-earth Florida.

As for the reliablilty of my 6000, it should be perfect because except for the long block and the trans, pretty much EVERYTHING is new or rebuilt! It's kind of difficult when you're daily driver is also a hobby, but it's pretty much all there now.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/eaglesx4/DSC_0066.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/eaglesx4/DSC_0069.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/eaglesx4/DSC_0067.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/eaglesx4/DSC_0098.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/eaglesx4/DSC_0111.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/eaglesx4/DSC_0114.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/eaglesx4/me_new.jpg

cruiser808
10-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Great pics Olds! Where in Florida are you? My better half is from Tampa.

olds88
10-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Great pics Olds! Where in Florida are you? My better half is from Tampa.

Lake Worth

BackTracker
10-15-2009, 04:11 AM
WOW those pics bring back some memories!

rhandwor
10-15-2009, 05:38 AM
They are so secretive because they don't want anybody to know they use Chinese steel. Imagine the uproar.
I have used Matco.Snap On,Cornwell,and Mac and they all work fine and I've used them for years.
Most of them I purchased used over 20 years ago some recently. I purchased a used Snap On 15/16 last week for appx. $1.00. I purchased a used wrench,20mm 12 point craftsman deep, and a broken Snap On pick for $2.00.
Normally I don't buy but for the price it was hard to pass up.
I've found if you just pick one item they know you want it bad and jack up the price. So I always get a price on a few to get what I want. Sometimes I give the other ones away. I've had dealers offer me all of them cheaper than what I would pay for what I want.

country83
10-15-2009, 07:04 AM
speaking of secret methods of forging steal, I had read once that they have never discovered the exact method of forging damascus steel.
I believe it was used in swords during the crusades, has anyone else heard this?

They used to use Damascus steel in shotgun barrels, too. I heard that the secret has been lost, too.

Zrexxer
10-15-2009, 07:16 AM
speaking of secret methods of forging steal, I had read once that they have never discovered the exact method of forging damascus steel. I believe it was used in swords during the crusades, has anyone else heard this?Damascus steel is used right here and now. Many custom knifemakers use it for high-end knives. It's even forged in different patterns so that it gives different appearances when ground. So no, it's not some lost art.

Eds_tls
10-15-2009, 09:38 PM

steel chemistry and heat treat can be determined in any met lab for a few hundred dollars. Forging steel is forging steel. The actual process hasen't changed in 75 years. Any forging tricks they do can be determined by sectioning and checking the grain flow of the steel. I'm sure every hand tool manufacturer has disected Snap-On tools

Alfajuj
07-30-2012, 08:11 AM
If you own Snap-on and use it, then there is no question in your mind. S/O is the best that money can buy. I am so thankful that I have the cash to buy S/O.

OEXL16B
07-30-2012, 08:26 AM
If you own Snap-on and use it, then there is no question in your mind. S/O is the best that money can buy. I am so thankful that I have the cash to buy S/O.

Holy smokes. :eek: That's coming from a guy who lives in Taiwan. :eek:

Alfajuj
07-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Life is short. Why not drive a BMW, drink Hennessy Cognac, tell time with a Rolex, ride a Ducati or MV Augusta etc., etc. Snap-On is simply the best there is. There's no need to be resentful about it. I've got Hazet, Stahlwille and all manner of fine tools. But nothing (except perhaps Plomb) can compare with Snap-On. Let it go. Just be a tool snob! I'm going to go out and buy a Harley Panhead, just so I have something to use my SAE tools on!!!

Alfajuj
07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not Taiwaniese. I'm American, born and bred. I just happen to have been stuck here for the last 20 years. Trying to help them make some half-way decent power tools.!!!

chris6278
07-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Snap on is great but NOT the best. Theres not one tool company that makes the best everything

concealer404
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Snap on is great but NOT the best. Theres not one tool company that makes the best everything

This.

Rico.
07-30-2012, 02:14 PM
7 years on from the original post and there still is no world wide
agreement on who makes the best tools... :confused: I'm surprised.

lbgradwell
07-30-2012, 02:22 PM
7 years on from the original post...

This is the second time this thread has been bumped from the dead.

And for no compelling reason. Sigh...

lennoxlennox
07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
This is the second time this thread has been bumped from the dead.

And for no compelling reason. Sigh...

Maybe it's a zombie thread!? :yikes:

K.C
11-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Mac and SO are both readily available where I work. I have standard Snapon wrenches from the 50's and newer Mac metric knuckle savers , in my opinion both companies products are very comparable. I love my Snapon wrenches, very nice in the hand and are still strong after all these years. The mac wrenches don't feel as nice in my hand and tend to slip every now and then. It all depends on what's available where you are and what YOU like, ive never used matco or cornwell products, as far as I know there not sold in Canada, I could be wrong. I have plenty of very old Snapon tools and mostly all of them are holding up very strong for 60+ years of everyday use therefore Iprefer snapon

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk

Brownsfan
11-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Make it 3 times bumped from the dead. It is a ZOMBIE thread

3xpendable
11-01-2013, 10:24 PM
I don't have anything to add just wanted to troll the " zombie" thread

:rocker:

vga
11-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I have a combination of snap on, mac, matco, williams metric wrenches and ratchets and all of my sockets at home are craftsman metric. As to the quality of the wrenches and rachets I would say the big 4 are about equal to each other, they all feel good in my hands and they all get the job done with out any fuss. As for the craftsman sockets I have yet to ever break a craftsman socket, not ever and they work as well as any sockets I have ever used and I have used many brands over the past 35 yrs.

Murphy4570
11-01-2013, 11:17 PM
For hardline stuff snap on is the best. I have used matco and mac stuff, just not the same.

Their flank drive plus stuff is the best. I have utterly destroyed nuts when yanking on them hard with the open end of the wrench. BUT! That wrench bit into it and the nut came off! I almost never round off fasteners with snap on tools.

spacedoutbob
11-02-2013, 02:04 AM
I still like Snap On over Mac, although the Mac Tools in my Tool Set I have not had any real issues with. Now with Matco, their tools seem to have a cheap feel to them and under stress they tend to slip. My Snap On tools have always worked great and not tend to slip. My vote is for Snap On.

Bob

djwyman
11-02-2013, 02:43 AM
I have grown up using craftsman and always loved them...but i was always a shady tree DIY mechanic...Now I am a tech student at 30 years old and I have been using the SEP program from snap on to upgrade my tools...I must say that hands down SO is worlds above craftsman. I will still use my craftsman tools for home use when wrenching on my own cars but school/work I hope to have an all SO set up. Every thing I have looked at that was matco seemed kinda cheapish on quality and remind me of kobalt tools. I have not seen or used MAC tools so I can't comment on them other than one 1 1/4" combo wrench I have that my grand father left me when he died(along with other tools but thats the only mac) and I have yet to need that big thing for anything yet. I won't touch Habor freight tools other than tool boxes, jacks and a motorcycle stand as everything else has broke on me...but those 3 things I have from them have held up well.

Mr.Ric
11-02-2013, 06:27 AM
"A Snap-On wrench is worth it's weight in quarters".
walk into a pawn shop with some other wrench, you'll still have the wrench when you come out, and no cash for your baby-momma's gambling habit.

fatfillup
11-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Have a friend who used to design tools. He said that Snap on uses a harder steel in their wrenches then anyone else. That is why their open ends don't spread. BUT, when they fail, they fail catastrophically,,,,,,,,they break. Not that it happens often.

Zedexseven
11-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Hello, new member here, I found this site while looking for garage flooring info. I asked this same question a few times, I always thought a wrench was a wrench, get the best deal, 2 things convinced me that there was a difference. #1 clamp a 1/2 head grade 3 bolt in a vise, use a Mac, Matco, Craftsman etc wrench on the open end, they will all round off the corners, use a Snap on wrench with Flank drive on the same bolt with already rounded corners and you can break the head right off, #2 bang a snap on wrench against any other brand and see which one gets dented. After seeing this with my own eyes I now have snap on wrenches in my box.