View Full Version : Rotating tires with TPMS

scott37300
01-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Have a 09 malibu with TPMS sensors in the tires. Need to do a rotation and was going to do it this weekend but just thought of the fact that the TPMS sensors would be off then. Is there a way I can reset these myself so it reads the right tire? Or do I need a special tool for this, if so is there a economical one for a home garage?

Thanks

yellowbox
01-08-2011, 01:43 AM
if you have a key fob you should be able to get into reset mode .....hold both lock and unlock buttons at the same time , horn will beep , then add or subtract air starting at L.F
until horn beeps for each tire
at least this is how to do impala sedans , should work for malibu
your sensors will still work they will just say the "wrong" tire is low if you do not retrain them
look in owners manual it will also tell you procedure

scott37300
01-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Thank you yellowbox. I will check the manual in the morning. Glad to hear there is a procedure I can do without special tools.

rsanter
01-08-2011, 11:05 AM
or you can just put a reminder post it note on the dash....

bob

Test Tech
01-08-2011, 11:26 AM
if you have a key fob you should be able to get into reset mode .....hold both lock and unlock buttons at the same time , horn will beep , then add or subtract air starting at L.F
until horn beeps for each tire
at least this is how to do impala sedans , should work for malibu
your sensors will still work they will just say the "wrong" tire is low if you do not retrain them
look in owners manual it will also tell you procedure

Yellowbox is right, I have 2009 HHR and the owner's manual outlines the procedure for reprogramming the tpms. You will need the factory key fob.

tcianci
01-08-2011, 11:26 AM
its all in the owners manual

Kurn
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
You really should take it to the dealer and have them do it.Probably only cost 6-7 hundred dollars,LOL

poprockcrusher
01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
You must reset the positions with the tpms tool

poprockcrusher
01-08-2011, 11:51 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k251/ynoham/wildcat/ChevyAvalanche3.jpg

Lotek
01-08-2011, 11:57 AM
You really should take it to the dealer and have them do it.Probably only cost 6-7 hundred dollars,LOL

Actually the dealership I work for charges $35 for a rotate, no balance, which includes resetting the tie pressure monitors and setting tire pressure to spec...but why let the truth get in the way of a bit of gratuitous dealership bashing. :rolleyes:

No you don't need a tool, the procedure is in the manual with all kinds of interesting information on the vehicle.

tatra
01-08-2011, 12:01 PM
manual?........we don't need no stinkin manual...........

tdkkart
01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Manual?? Mine's got an automatic 6speed.........??

ddawg16
01-08-2011, 12:46 PM
manual?........we don't need no stinkin manual...........

What's a manual?

STClurker
01-08-2011, 01:09 PM
owners manual?

well I'm the owner (of my car anyway), and there's my friend, Manuel :D

naki kid
01-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I rotate the tyre's every time I go for a drive :lol_hitti
ps the back ones faster than the front.

sweetk30
01-08-2011, 08:57 PM
i use to do tires 10+ years. i will say THE GM SYSTEM SUCKS FOR RESET.

gm can suck a big fat one on there idea for reset on these dam things. :thefinger

Jaguar Fan
01-08-2011, 09:00 PM
What's a manual?

I used to work with a guy named Manual.

pgreen
01-08-2011, 10:03 PM
10 seconds with google presented the following:

The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner's sensor is ready to be learned.
Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

61falcon
01-09-2011, 12:57 PM
silly GM products, Fords dont have that problem. rotating the tires doesn't cause the tire light to turn on. just rotate as normal.

G Speed
01-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Your thinking of the older type, when it didn't tell you the actual pressures..so you can rotate the tires without any lights turning on, it will just give you the wrong readings... FR will read the RL tire

This has nothing to do with which car manufacture is better.. TPMS is garbage, the whole idea of it is stupid..

neverenoughtools
01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I knew a Manny a long time ago........:lol_hitti:lol_hitti

Radio Flyer
01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
This has nothing to do with which car manufacture is better.. TPMS is garbage, the whole idea of it is stupid..

Thanks to the Explorer owners who couldn't check the air in their tires.

The government will have to mandate TPMS for all of us. After all, they know whats best.

Lotek
01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Actually tpms isn't a bad idea, you wouldn't believe how many cars I see with low tire pressure. New state law means I have to document setting the pressure on the r/o on every car. Before, I would check it if I was doing a service or if it looked low. Thought I was catching most of them...I was wrong.

Dewaynep
01-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks to the Explorer owners who couldn't check the air in their tires.

The government will have to mandate TPMS for all of us. After all, they know whats best.

The government DID mandate it. All vehicles build on or after 2008 has to have some sort of TPMS. Yours (OP) are very easy to set. You can do it like was explained with the remote keyless entry or you can use the DIC to perform the reset if you don't have RKE. It's very easy and only takes a minute or 2.
As far as government mandates, you do know that in 2012 all vehicles will have to have stability control right? That means even the lowest of the low cost vehicles have to have SC. This all means an end to affordable new vehicles. I wonder how bad the new car market will be when no-one can afford one?

JC23
01-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I may be missing something but why does it make a difference if somebody has PMS??? And what if you're a guy? I thought guys only recieve PMS, not actually have it.

My ex had PMS 28 days a month and something a lot like it on the other two. Do I have to go to her to get my tires fixed??? I'm really confused...

Falcon67
01-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I may be missing something but why does it make a difference if somebody has PMS??? And what if you're a guy? I thought guys only recieve PMS, not actually have it.

Well, my experience leads me to believe that symptoms very similar to PMS appear in Little League dads, Pee Wee football dads and Jr. Dragster dads.

Have to look at the Ranger manual - it's a 2010 and AFAIK, no TPMS on it. Might be wrong since I check pressures, or trucks are exempt.

Joe in PA
01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
On my new Jeep Grand Cherokee I simply rotate the tires, including the spare and within a few miles the system figures out which sensor is located where on the vehicle and all is well. No need to reset anything and no need to pay a stealership to do something every red blooded male should not only know how to do but look forward to doing as a proud owner. :beer:

Lotek
01-10-2011, 05:28 PM
On my new Jeep Grand Cherokee I simply rotate the tires, including the spare and within a few miles the system figures out which sensor is located where on the vehicle and all is well. No need to reset anything and no need to pay a stealership to do something every red blooded male should not only know how to do but look forward to doing as a proud owner. :beer:

And thank you for yet another gratuitous swipe at the people who work at dealerships. :thumbup:

sweetk30
01-10-2011, 09:04 PM
the HUGE tire problem with firestone and ford was both there problems. not people not checking them.

ford decided to run 26psi all 4 from the factory. that wasnt the right amount of air for the weight over the life of the tire. it caused extra heat in the tire and thay self destructed.

then firestone didnt check up on ford to make sure everything was being done correctly. so thay look like the huge bad guy in this whole problem.

ford NOT firestone sent out new 35psi x4 door warnning stickers.

firestone eat the tires and bad pr bigtime.

.................................................. .................................................

and the tpms stuff is all fine and dandy to rotate and not reset the positions and pressures. IF all 4 tires use the same pressure.

gm trucks and suv's in the 3/4 ton and 1ton use 2 DIFFRENT pressures and the positions in the computer only let you set them to the door pressure requirments.

so if you rotate and dont reset position fine. but the light WILL trip IF you reset the pressure bias front to rear so your not ridin on 80psi in the front when you dont ned to.

then yes the reset on gm is like postedbefore in here. but the amount of time to reset all that crap is just uncalled for.

.................................................. ...........

and last people dont wana waste time on a long reset / or customers dont wana pay extra for factory/government required crap thay dont care 1 frig bit about 99% of the time.

Falcon67
01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
And thank you for yet another gratuitous swipe at the people who work at dealerships. :thumbup:

I have my service work, oil, etc done at a local dealer. Never an issue and if there was, they'd be all over it.

Joe in PA
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM

The truth hurts some times. Charging me $90 to $100 an hr for labor and paying the tech a fraction of that, is the very definition of a stealership. Sorry but I ain't about to kiss up to anyone who works for, or owns, a local stealership.

You can keep your sarcastic thanks and save it for the next tool to walk in the door. :rolleyes:

Lotek
01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't know, but insulting everyone who works at a dealership, which, as a rule is a locally owned small business employing local people and supporting a number of other local businesses with a baseless slur like stealership just gets old after a while. Is there some specific complaint that you have with your local dealer, aside from technician compensation, which after all isn't really any of your business anyway, or are you just mindlessly parroting what you have read on the internet. Don't expect any one to give us a big kiss, but a little respect wouldn't hurt, who are you going to take your new car to when something more complicated than a tire rotation needs to be done? The dealer tech that has been trained on your vehicle or the guy at the gas station that hasn't even seen the problem before. When something breaks under warranty are you going to tell the technician what you think of him? Or just fix it yourself using all the knowledge on the internet. Good luck with that.

My car runs...

sweetk30
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
i have seen lots of dealer techs and independent shop techs over the years.

the good ones are few and far between out there. and most are under payed.

so your saying the reast of the guys that are just o.k. or rip off guys should be paid top doller for junk work then . ?

me as a independent mechanic i always take the time to show the cust how/why/and reason for repairs i suggest. be it 5 min or 30 min time thay will leave knowing a good mechanic showed them thay do care about my vehicle and safty and money i spend.

so before you go off trashin dealers/indep shops or mechanics all together. you best look at the quality of people you give your work to. and if thay are no good then go some place till you fine a good one. than you will be much happyer in the end.

and a big reason for high price at dealers is schooling for techs all the time/ shop factory required tools / top of the line new equipment / and lots of factory recall stuff dont pay squat. and if you are a dealer prob around half your work will be warrenty/cust complant / recall stuff. and you dont make any real money at it at all. so you got to make it up someplace else.

Joe in PA
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I have been driving and working on my own vehicles for over 35yrs. The only time my vehicles are touched by anyone else is the annual safety and emission inspections. The mere fact that the parts counter at the stealerships maintain multiple price lists on the exact same parts is reason enough for me to refuse to deal with them. They prey on the gullible and those who must pay someone else to maintain their own vehicles.

With today's internet, one need never deal with a stealership after a vehicle is purchased. The knowledge, parts and "special" tools are just a click away. Sorry to hear you feel unloved but my vehicles manage to exceed 250k miles without the help of those employed by a stealership.

Not to worry though, there are plenty of folks who will gladly pay stealership prices. I just am not one of them and I will continue to call a spade a spade. :beer:

Lotek
01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Note to self, stop feeding trolls, those who don't have the manners to be civil must be ignored.

aussiek2000
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I have been driving and working on my own vehicles for over 35yrs. The only time my vehicles are touched by anyone else is the annual safety and emission inspections. The mere fact that the parts counter at the stealerships maintain multiple price lists on the exact same parts is reason enough for me to refuse to deal with them. They prey on the gullible and those who must pay someone else to maintain their own vehicles.

With today's internet, one need never deal with a stealership after a vehicle is purchased. The knowledge, parts and "special" tools are just a click away. Sorry to hear you feel unloved but my vehicles manage to exceed 250k miles without the help of those employed by a stealership.

Not to worry though, there are plenty of folks who will gladly pay stealership prices. I just am not one of them and I will continue to call a spade a spade. :beer:

Way to make yourself known on the forum. I would be willing to bet you are one of the many arm-chair mechanics that thinks they are tough stuff online, but couldn't find a spark plug if their life depended on it.

Lotek
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Way to make yourself known on the forum. I would be willing to bet you are one of the many arm-chair mechanics that thinks they are tough stuff online, but couldn't find a spark plug if their life depended on it.

Don't worry about him, I had him pegged when he said his tpms magically learned what corner the tire was on. :headscrat

aussiek2000
01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I didn't realize it was the same person that posted that.

sweetk30
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Joe in PA
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Think what you want boys but on an 07' Grand Cherokee the vehicle absolutely will know exactly where each tire was placed after a rotation and they will appear correctly on the evic. Just did it this pass weekend and within a half mile all was working just fine. Yep, the two front tires displayed as 30 psi and the 2 rears as 35, just as they displayed on the tire gauage.

But hey, who am I to suggest otherwise to those who make a living ripping off the gullible. Make myself known to the forum? I'm not here to befriend those who wish to defend the predatory practices of stealerships as if their income depends on it. Oh wait, for some it does.

Have a nice life gents and feel free to p[lace me on your ignore list if you'd like. Won't change the fact that many despise stealerships and with very good reason.

Joe in PA
01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
For those doubting the claim that one of my Grands needs no special tool to learn where the tires were moved after a rotation:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tpms.htm

"Sensor learning mode - Each sensor’s (transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the wireless control module (WCM) can monitor the state of each of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The WCM can automatically learn and store the sensor’s ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 m.p.h. (24 Km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced, the vehicle must be stationary for more than 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence. "

Ryan
01-13-2011, 09:01 AM
For those doubting the claim that one of my Grands needs no special tool to learn where the tires were moved after a rotation:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tpms.htm

"Sensor learning mode - Each sensor’s (transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the wireless control module (WCM) can monitor the state of each of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The WCM can automatically learn and store the sensor’s ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 m.p.h. (24 Km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced, the vehicle must be stationary for more than 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence. "

Hey man, stating an opinion is cool. Opinions make the world go around... But please, try to muster up the gumption to do so without dragging others through mud from now on.

We would all appreciate it.

Thanks,

R.