View Full Version : Best battery charger i ever had!!!!

mad57
01-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Best battery charger i ever had!!!! I figured id post this news:) hands down this thing is great so many options and all no brainer tells me so many things that my old one couldnt, if your in the market for a battery charger give it a shot, about $75 off ebay.

sorry didnt realize you couldnt see model # heres the info:BC40EWB
BLACK & DECKER BC40EWB 12 VOLT 40 AMP FULLY AUTOMATIC 3 STAGE SMART BATTERY CHARGER WITH 110 AMP ENGINE START

AUTOMATICALLY SELECTS THE PROPER CHARGE RATE SETTING

IDEAL FOR ALL 12 VOLT LEAD ACID BATTERIES

EXCLUSIVE ONE-TOUCH OPERATION AUTOMATICALLY SELECTS IDEAL CHARGING CONDITIONS

3-STAGE HIGH FREQUENCY SWITCH MODE AUTOMATIC RAPID CHARGING: STAGE ONE IS A RAPID START CHARGE AT 40 AMPS DELIVERING MAXIMUM CHARGING AMPERAGE TO WAKE UP ANY SERVICEABLE 12 VOLT BATTERY-STAGE TWO IS THE ABSORPTION CHARGE RATE MAINTAINS THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE CHARGE AT A CONSTANT SAGE PREDETERMINED VOLTAGE- STAGE THREE IS THE TOP-OFF CHARGE RATE THAT IS AUTOMATICALLY MAINTAINED AND REDUCED TO A PREDETERMINED LEVEL WHILE CURRENT IS ADJUSTED OR A SAFE EFFECTIVE BATTERY CHARGE

1 ˝ MINUTE, PATENTED 110 AMP ENGINE START

ESF CHARGE TECHNOLOGY PROTECTS THE BATTERY FOR LONGER LIFE

AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION

DIGITAL DIAGNOSTICS

ALTERNATOR VOLTAGE AND BATTERY VOLTAGE CHECK

ALTERNATOR CHECK: CHECKS TO DETERMINE THAT THE ALTERNATOR IS KEEPING UP WITH THE ELECTRICAL LOAD

DIGITAL LCD DISPLAY SHOWS OPERATING MODE, FAULT CONDITIONS AND INDICATES WHEN BATTERY IS CHARGED

SPARK RESISTANT REVERSE POLARITY AND SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION FOR USER

BUILT-IN BATTERY RECONDITIONING ( DESULFATE )

LIGHTWEIGHT HIGH – EFFICIENCY DESIGN

INTERNAL SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION

HEAVY DUTY CABLES AND CLAMPS SELF-STORED

REVERSE POLARITY INDICATION

MICROPROCESSOR CONTROL ( DIGITAL SMART CONTROL )

COMPENSATES FOR LOW AC EXTENSION CORD USE

WEIGHT: 11 LBS

DIMENSIONS: 14”H X 11”W X 8”D

UL LISTED

5 YEAR WARRANTY

Grumpy365
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't think you can do electrolytic rust removal with it.

Other than that it is cool:drool:

rwhite692
01-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Cool. Does it have a setting for AGM type batteries?

mad57
01-12-2011, 11:50 AM
cool. Does it have a setting for agm type batteries?

not sure whats agm?

creativecars
01-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, will it check my prostate too?? :shocking::lol_hitti

LEVE
01-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I've had one of those chargers for a couple of years... it's hand's down the best charger I've ever had. I really like it.

Paco Pena
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
"Wow, will it check my prostate too??"
Yes, but you wont like where you have to put the clamps.

Paco

Steevo
01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Sure, it has:
DIGITAL DIAGNOSTICS

hwinch5
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
A G M: Absorbed Glass Mat:a fairly new method of sealed battery construction.

djd99
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I agree I got one for christmas 2 years ago and I end up using it over my 200 amp charger almost always unless I need a 200 amp start. I'm glad I got it as I think my 200 amp charger is taking a shit the last 2 batteries I tried charging with it started smoking after trying to charge them. I'm still out to lunch If it's going bad or is bad just don't know. But my B&D works perfect! Don

MBfreak
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi.
Being absolutely obsessed with doing whatever I can do myself I designed and built an automatic battery charger a number of years ago. Basic electronics is all you need to know to build it, and amoderate grasp of easy fabrication. I made a number of PCBs for it. Automatic charging, bulk, boost and trickle, insensitive to wrong polarity and can be left connected to the battery for months and years, will not overcharge.
Whoever wants to try, send me a pm with email and adress. I will email the schematics and post a PCB. No charge, just want to avoid junking the PCBs .
Ola

rwhite692
01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
AGM Battery type = Absorbed Glass Mat (Optima, for example).

*EDIT* I see hwinch5 already answered your question...

Oldtymeflyr
01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I have the 10 amp version and its been a great charger.

Rick

:3gears:

Zeke
01-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I..... I'm glad I got it as I think my 200 amp charger is taking a shit the last 2 batteries I tried charging with it started smoking after trying to charge them. I'm still out to lunch If it's going bad or is bad just don't know. Don

I think your 200 amp job has seen its days.

Mr.N
01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
My Neighbor had the little Black Decker Smart Battery 6/4/2 Amp Battery Charger.
Worked great, but gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago.

I can't believe the small ones cost soo much now, it was under $35 at one point.

dansmurf
01-12-2011, 09:26 PM
I have the same charger and love it. I bought mine from walmart a few years ago. Just a little hint. If the charger starts to charge and kicks off in a minute and says bad battery, try it again. Some times it takes a few tries to charge a really drained battery.

e-tek
01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Only problem with the newer "digital" chargers is they won't charge newer AGM (OPTIMA) type batteries if they are down to under 5V. It doesn't "see" them and won't start the charge. There's a way around it, which is to hook up a "slightly discharged" battery in series. Then the charger will "see" there is a battery to charge and send the current through the better battery, which sends current to the dead one.

rwhite692
01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Only problem with the newer "digital" chargers is they won't charge newer AGM (OPTIMA) type batteries if they are down to under 5V. It doesn't "see" them and won't start the charge. There's a way around it, which is to hook up a "slightly discharged" battery in series. Then the charger will "see" there is a battery to charge and send the current through the better battery, which sends current to the dead one.

That is correct, but as to connecting the supplemental battery, you mean, parallel, NOT in series, LOL.

Connecting two 12V batteries in Series would be 24V.

e-tek
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM
That is correct, but as to connecting the supplemental battery, you mean, parallel, NOT in series, LOL.

Connecting two 12V batteries in Series would be 24V.

Woops - I know less about electrical than I do about heart surgery..... NURSE - I need suction!!!!!:bounce:

MichaelP
01-14-2011, 01:16 PM
If the charger were suitable for charging AGM batteries, I'd expect B&D to state it clearly. Which it does not.

dmeadow
01-14-2011, 01:28 PM

But don't select the AGM function on your charger to charge an Optima! This from another thread:

"Since Teken mentioned the “g” word, I should clarify that Optima batteries are AGM lead-acid batteries. Under most circumstances, they can be treated and charged just like any other lead-acid battery. However, they are not gel batteries and should never be treated as such, including using “gel” or “gel/AGM” charger settings, as these will not fully-charge an Optima and could damage it over time. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries"

Swoboda
01-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Would this be a good replacement for one of the Battery Tender chargers/maintainers that you keep attached to the battery, or is this best used as a charger only, not a maintainer?

Thanks.

MalibuLX3
01-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I've had this battery charger for a little over a year now and I love it. It even does AMG batteries, whatever the heck those are!

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-Shore-Charge-Charger/dp/B000H961YI

1320stang
01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi.
Being absolutely obsessed with doing whatever I can do myself I designed and built an automatic battery charger a number of years ago. Basic electronics is all you need to know to build it, and amoderate grasp of easy fabrication. I made a number of PCBs for it. Automatic charging, bulk, boost and trickle, insensitive to wrong polarity and can be left connected to the battery for months and years, will not overcharge.
Whoever wants to try, send me a pm with email and adress. I will email the schematics and post a PCB. No charge, just want to avoid junking the PCBs .
Ola

I would, for one, be interested in this, I think. How big of a charger is it? Is it big enough to start a car with? I've been looking at a roll around charger, bad thing is, they take up a lot of room. I've got a Craftsman that is a plastic case model, but for some reason it doesn't work anymore. I mean it powers up, but it won't charge anything.

santagary
01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
I just ordered one for $78 on amazon with free shipping.

ket-tek
01-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I've had a digital Vector charger for a few years.. It's been fantastic. Failsafe for reversed terminal connections, overheat protection, and if the battery has bad cells it will give you an error code instead of pumping juice into it continuously. I feel much safer about leaving it unattended for long periods.

It has an equalizer, and de-sulfate mode to try to recondition a battery, and also has an alternator testing mode.

Black and Decker bought Vector a while ago, as they are on a buying spree these past 10 years, and turned all the Vector boxes orange.. So some BD stuff is questionable, but as long as they didn't downgrade the electronics of build quality of the Vector lineup they should still be good chargers if your looking for a Digital system.

http://www.battery-rechargeable-charger.com/images/VEC1097A-NEW-big.jpg

ket-tek
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I have 4 Yellow and 1 Red Optima's across my cars. And I charge them all with the Vector. Works fine, and if the voltage drops too low the digital chargers throw an error code. So like mentioned earlier the trick that Optima says to use is to put a good battery in parallel and the charger will read the good battery and not error out, the Optima will pull a charge off the other battery.. I've had to do it a few times with the batteries on the stereo in my truck, and it works great.

Optima has a youtube video explaining the process:

Tech Tips 3: Recovering a Deeply Discharged Battery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg&feature=related

Other Basic Info provided from Optima:

What's the best charger for an Optima SpiralCell AGM battery? What's the best method for recharging a battery? Find out in this informative video from Optima Batteries.

You've learned that with minor adjustments, you can keep your vehicle running smoothly. A tweak here, a new tip there, and you'll be able to get a little more from your ride.

Here are a few tips for keeping your lead acid battery performing at its peak. There are also a couple of things to keep in mind when maintaining your Absorbent Glass-Mat (AGM) battery, including OPTIMA batteries.

Newer chargers keeping up with battery technology. Many newer battery chargers, or Smart Chargers, have microprocessors that collect information from the battery and adjust the current and voltage accordingly. Some have different settings for charging wet cell (flooded), gel and AGM batteries.
Battery performance limiter: sulfation. All lead acid batteries can experience sulfation—the formation of lead sulfate crystals upon discharge. Look for a charger with a de-sulfation mode to help condition your battery and keep it performing at its best.
Low and slow is best. A low amp charger (1 to 10 amps) is always the best choice for charging any lead acid battery. It's quicker to charge at higher amperage, but it also generates a lot of heat, which reduces the life of a battery, just like the raging heat of summer.
Alternators are NOT chargers. Don't rely on your alternator to do the work of a charger.
An alternator is meant to maintain a battery, not charge it.

Batteries eventually die. Batteries are a consumable product. No battery will last forever. The goal is to consistently maintain your battery to get the most life out of it. Charging Considerations for AGM Batteries
Different chargers. Different capabilities. Although under normal conditions, most 12-volt automatic battery chargers will work on an AGM battery, the battery will only be charged to about 80 percent of its full capacity. Many newer battery chargers have settings specifically for AGM batteries; some even have separate settings for OPTIMA RedTop® and YellowTop® batteries.
AGM and gel technology differ. Remember that the technology of an AGM battery is not the same as a gel battery, which has its own charging requirements. If your charger offers different modes, select the correct one for your battery. If you use the gel setting to charge an AGM battery it won't fully charge and, over time, it will actually damage your AGM battery.
No problem charging an AGM at 10.5 volts or greater. Under normal starting conditions, an OPTIMA battery should never experience "at-rest" voltages below 12 volts. Most 12-volt chargers and alternators have no problem recharging an OPTIMA if it has an "at-rest" voltage of 10.5 volts or greater.
The magic threshold 10.5 volts. The charging scenario for a deeply discharged AGM battery, one that's dipped below 10.5 volts, is slightly different. Tips for recovering a deeply discharged AGM battery can be found in OPTIMA's tech tip, How to Resuscitate a Deeply Discharged AGM Battery.
Chargers we like. OPTIMA hasn't tested every battery charger on the market, but there are a few battery chargers/maintainers that we've tried and like. Some of these units have the additional capability of doubling as a battery "maintainer" for stored vehicles. Some come with additional wiring to permanently attach leads from your battery to an accessible location on your vehicle for easier hook up. You can contact OPTIMA Batteries Customer Service at
888-8-OPTIMA (888-867-8462) or via email at info@optimabatteries.com for charger recommendations based on different applications.

MichaelP
01-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I just ordered one for $78 on amazon with free shipping.

Make sure you didn't order the 25 Amp version of it by mistake.

santagary
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Got mine today...unpacked it...quickly read instructions and hooked it up to my Porsche Boxter whose battery wouldn't charge and the car wouldn't start and almost immediately it "diagnosed" what was wrong...a short between cells. I removed the old and installed a new battery. I hated to give up the German made Porsche battery, but the Interstate type 48 is covered, so no one will know except thousands of you guys...HA!

sberry
01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
My Bud works in electronics, says he has seen a slew of new chargers failed, do not recall the reasons, a couple look like the Vector. I would be interested in how well they hold up, this little Schumacher is the best one I have ever owned, fully automatic, only thing I ever fix on it is cord and a knob, lots of others have came and went here but this is about perfect, well designed as not to be souped up and easily overloaded, no fan to mess up. Wish I had another one like it.

dmeadow
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I have one of those Vectors. I've had it for about 8 or 9 years. It won't charge on the 2 amp setting any more. It has also been a PITA because it seems like it stops charging and sends out an error code for no discernible reason.

I've also got a small computer controlled Schumacher that I bought at Wal Mart for $45 a few years ago. I've had a much better history with it and prefer the information it gives me (% battery charged).

I've used these side-by-side for a number of years (charging two racecars w/o alternators as well as several vintage garage queens) and I much prefer the Schumacher over the Vector, although the Vector looks cooler (IMHO). The Schumacher has held up better, as well.

Auzivision
01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Got one of these for Christmas:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/auzivision/Winter2010279.jpg

Took a peek under the hood and it's 90% air:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/auzivision/Winter2010278.jpg

Pretty old school... high amp, mechanical timer, no auto feature and not AGM compatible. I’ll decide if I like it or not if it’s still plugging away 10 years from now.

Bought it to replace one of these which served me well for about 8 years:
http://weldingsupplyusa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=84&category_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Pound for pound, this Century rocked!

e-tek
01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Got one of these for Christmas:

Took a peek under the hood and it's 90% air:

Pretty old school... high amp, mechanical timer, no auto feature and not AGM compatible. I’ll decide if I like it or not if it’s still plugging away 10 years from now.

!

My Dad had one of those giant roll-arounds years ago in his shop and being a young guy, I took it apart one day to see what was inside....like you said, mostly NOTHING!!!! Ever since then, I've told people NOT to spend an extra $100 for a big box, when a hand-held unit will do the same job!!

c_mccann
01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
AGM= Optimas..

drmoonshine
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BC40EWB-Frequency-Interface/dp/B0024GJ3QU

I did some research on the product some of the review were negative but most were positive. Surely next I find my self looking for a battery charger I might look here first.

Auzivision
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Just for the record, this unit was on sale at Advance Auto for $120... plus they had a $40 off $100 online promotion bringing the overall cost down to $80.

The biggest hand held I've seen is only 100 Amps which can crank a car with a weak battery, but not a dead one. Most of the rest of the stuff I’ve seen or have is really intended for charging and maintaining a battery more so than starting or cranking an engine.

graffix000
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
But don't select the AGM function on your charger to charge an Optima! This from another thread:

"Since Teken mentioned the “g” word, I should clarify that Optima batteries are AGM lead-acid batteries. Under most circumstances, they can be treated and charged just like any other lead-acid battery. However, they are not gel batteries and should never be treated as such, including using “gel” or “gel/AGM” charger settings, as these will not fully-charge an Optima and could damage it over time. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries"

good information as I always suspected they were gel batteries. Learn something new everyday...

6768rogues
01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
If you want to shove it up there, let us know how it works.

jvitez
01-21-2011, 12:45 AM
This is my favorite brand:

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

The desulphation mode seems to do what it says. It keeps charging after my regular 2/10 amp float mode Schumacher has shut off. I've got one small one for a motorbike, and the multi battery one for vehicle/boat batteries. I used 14 gauge electrical wire and kept 3 batteries charged in parallel over the winter. Works great.