View Full Version : Want to install 2-Post Lift in garage, is floor thick enough to support? tips install

AidanN20
03-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I want to install a 2-post car lift in my garage.

My concern is I dont know how thick the concrete floor is and people have told me I might have to cut out squares in the floor and pour thicker footing? (Ack!) If so I dont think its worth doing as itll get more expensive than I can budget for.

I *Think* the floor is approx 4" thick. Its a two story house with a 3 car garage and is 2 years old.

Any one have any tips or ideas?

Bib Overalls
03-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Residential concrete garage floors are almost always 4 to 5 inches thick. Cutting the concrete and diging deeper footings is a labor intensive but not necessarily materials intensive aspect of installing a two post lift. If you can do the work yourself the cost should not be prohibitive. A note about two post lifts. To function, both sides must be connected with a cable way. On some models the cable passes over the top requiring a very high ceiling. Most economy models run the cable immediately above the floor and under a ramp like metal cover. These metal covers are notorious for being in the exact place where you want to work, interfering with transmission jacks, oil draining, etc. If you can, consider installing a lift with cables that run in a recess in the floor. They are a few bucks more than the models with cables above the floor and more difficult to install. But well worth the additional expense and effort if you are going to use it a lot.

z28toz06
03-30-2007, 04:29 AM
You may have o drill a hole somewhere to measure thickness. You might also want to get a PSI test to make sure it meets the 3000 psi rq.

Lift Concrete Requirements

Before installing your new lift, check the following.
1. LIFT LOCATION: Always use architects plans when available. Check layout dimension against floor plan requirements making sure that adequate space is available.

2. OVERHEAD OBSTRUCTIONS: The area where the lift will be located should be free of overhead obstructions such as heaters, building supports, electrical lines etc.

3. DEFECTIVE CONCRETE: Visually inspect the site where the lift is to be installed and check for cracked or defective concrete.
Specifications of concrete must be adhered to. Failure to do so could cause lift failure resulting in personal injury or death.
A level floor is suggested for proper installation and level lifting. Small differences in floor slopes may be compensated for by proper shimming. If a floor is of questionable slope, consider a survey of the site and/or the possibility of pouring a new level concrete slab.
DO NOT install lift on any asphalt surface or any surface other than concrete.
DO NOT install lift on expansion seams or on cracked or defective concrete.
DO NOT install lift on a second / elevated floor without first consulting building architect.
DO NOT install lift outdoors unless special consideration has been made to protect the power unit from inclement weather conditions.
CONCRETE SPECIFICATIONS
LIFT MODEL CONCRETE REQUIREMENT
7,000 Pound Two Post Models 4 Min. Thickness
9,000 Pound Two Post Models 4 Min. Thickness10,000 Pound Two Post Models 4 Min. Thickness
12,000 Pound Two Post Models 6 Min. Thickness
15,000 Pound Two Post Models 6 Min. Thickness
18,000 Pound Two Post Models 6 Min. Thickness
7,000 Pound Four Post Models 4 Min. Thickness
12,000 Pound Four Post Models 4 Min. Thickness
18,000 Pound Four Post Models 4 Min. Thickness
27,000 Pound Four Post Models 4 Min. Thickness
35,000 Pound Four Post Models 4 Min. Thickness
40,000 Pound Four Post Models 4 Min. Thickness

NOTE: All models MUST be installed on 3000 PSI concrete only conforming to the minimum requirements shown above. New concrete must be adequately cured by at least 28 days minimum.

ownsaglock
03-30-2007, 04:30 AM
All the lift models I looked at said 4" minimum which is pretty standard.

The models with the cables on the floor are called "floor plate" style.

Standard concrete mix in this area is 3500 psi in 14 days.. The longer the cure time the better though.

AidanN20
04-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Well guys, I appreciate the advise and info on what it takes to install a two post.

After reading all the info, you guys have helped me make the correct decision in actually purchasing a different product than I originally planned.

I made the 6hr round trip drive to a lift company in Los Angeles friday and picked up a brand new 4-post 9k lift.

The four post is 110v so i dont have to run 220v like the two post I was going to buy. I dont have to do any drilling, concrete pouring, deal with cables across the floor that can get in the way while working on the floor etc....

I think i made the right choice and will be happy with it.

So now i have like 1500lbs worth of lift in a pile on my garage floor and I need to put the dang thing together!

Thats my project for the week.

Junkman
04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
What brand did you purchase???

ownsaglock
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
yeah! what brand/model?

DARK AGE 53
04-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I think you'll be happy with a four post lift, I've had mine for more then seven years and it's been worth evey penny I paid for it.

AidanN20
04-13-2007, 12:48 AM
I bought a Direct Lift from Quality Tool and Equipment in LA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7000lb-truck-hoist-car-hoist-storage-lift-4-post_W0QQitemZ150109646809QQihZ005QQcategoryZ63697 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It was $1495 plus tax...

I've been using it all week. Works great and no complaints here. Came with free trip trays, sliding jack tray and casters to roll it if i want to.