View Full Version : What is fuel volume regulator

camaross
01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
P0001 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit/Open
P0002 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Range/Performance
P0003 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Low
P0004 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit High

So what does fuel volume regulator do? Where is it located?

Thanks.

camaross
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Anybody?

tonydanzah
01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
another odd one

camaross
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Yes. I googled it for a while, and never find a very good answer.

The closest thing I find is fuel pressure regulator.

another odd one

adam728
01-13-2011, 07:07 PM
I feel like you are reading thru a diesel manual and asking questions as you go? Maybe?

camaross
01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
I am trying to educate myself about those trouble codes. I think it is very important to truly understand them all, if I plan to work in this field.

I feel like you are reading thru a diesel manual and asking questions as you go? Maybe?

aussiek2000
01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
I went into my shopkey account and the codes you listed do not exist in their database.

camaross
01-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Thank you for looking it up.

I found that one of the best place to search OBD codes is:

http://dtcsearch.com

Their codes are accurate and complete.

I went into my shopkey account and the codes you listed do not exist in their database.

Stick
01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
P0001-0004 are generic codes that as far as I know are a carryover from pre-OBD2 days, and I don't know of any manufacturer that uses them.

If you think about it, a fuel injector is what regulates fuel volume, and the modern equivalent is a P020x code for injectors. Most of the time you see a P0001-0004, you are using the wrong protocol to communicate with the ECM, and you have an issue with fuel delivery or control.

RLRRLRLL
01-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Well, idk if this will help. But along with fuel pressure, there needs to be enough volume for the engine to run correctly. Im not sure what a volume regulator is, but my guess would be that it helps maintain the correct volume. As even if you have proper pressure, you may not have enough volume.

tonydanzah
01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Well, idk if this will help. But along with fuel pressure, there needs to be enough volume for the engine to run correctly. Im not sure what a volume regulator is, but my guess would be that it helps maintain the correct volume. As even if you have proper pressure, you may not have enough volume.

the only time you will see volume mentioned on a modern car is a output/volume test on a fuel pump

RLRRLRLL
01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
ah, ok, thanks for correcting me. im just a tech student myself, and my teacher pounded in our heads that volume is needed to. live and learn i guess haha.

tonydanzah
01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
ah, ok, thanks for correcting me. im just a tech student myself, and my teacher pounded in our heads that volume is needed to. live and learn i guess haha.

volume/flow is important, but you normally only see it used in relationship to fuel pumps

RLRRLRLL
01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
volume/flow is important, but you normally only see it used in relationship to fuel pumps

but wouldn't a "fuel volume regulator" show faulty readings or throw a code if it is in conjunction with the fuel pump? i don't think ive ever heard of a fuel volume regulator...so im just trying to learn a thing or two here, like others im sure.

tonydanzah
01-13-2011, 09:46 PM
but wouldn't a "fuel volume regulator" show faulty readings or throw a code if it is in conjunction with the fuel pump? i don't think ive ever heard of a fuel volume regulator...so im just trying to learn a thing or two here, like others im sure.

like stick said it is probably an old carry over code. Often if you suspect the fuel system you check pressure. If pressure is good then you check pump in the form of a volume/output test.

RLRRLRLL
01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
ah ok, thanks for the info!

Zeke
10-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Visiting an old thread. I'm getting this reading on a '96 Jaguar XJ6. Almost all Google hits say the scanner interface is not working properly. I'm guessing that P0001 is the first code on the list and it gets pulled up falsely. I've read that P0001-4 is the same deal.

I have a post on the Jag forum going so we'll see what the Cat experts have to say.

theoldwizard1
10-01-2013, 11:26 AM
First time I have seen this thread !

Many years ago, I was involved in some "philosophical" design discussions on EFI system fuel pressure regulation. Mechanical regulators, at the time, did the job quite well and at a low cost. The problem was, the pump capacity has to be designed for the maximum possible requirement (low fuel pressure at WOT is not good!). This meant that at low driving speed/extended idle, well over 90% of the fuel pumped to the engine was returned to the tank. All that pumping up to a hot engine compartment meant the fuel in the gas tank would get warmer and produce more vapor. This was at a time when the CARB/EPA wanted better vapor management.

Most schemes then (and I believe now) worked on providing the "exact" pressure required at the fuel rail so that no fuel had to be returned to the tank (a returnless fuel system).

An alternative design a friend and I came up with was a "minimal" fuel VOLUME return design. A "volume flow switch" (high/low or maybe high/medium/low) would be plumbed into the return line. If the return flow volume was high, a dropping resistor would be switched, via a relay, into the fuel pump power. Medium would swtch in a different value resistor and low would be no resistor, very similar to the HVAC fan speed. The only issue would be a "switch" that had a lot of hysteresis around the crossing points in order to minimize the cut in/out of the resistors (wear on the relay contacts).

Of course the people who design and manufacture electronic boxes won out because they could not make any money on such a simple design.

FYI, pulse width modulating the DC motor of a fuel pump does not result in a good closed loop control system. Anything below about 33% duty cycle results in effectively no pressure and anything above about 66% results in near maximum pressure. Not a large "control region" left !