View Full Version : Hit a skunk and it stinks

JamieK
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
I hit a skunk last Sunday night, and it still stinks. It must have sprayed the underneath of the car. Anybody have any ideas how long this stench is going to last?

MoonRise
02-01-2011, 01:52 PM
The smell will last until it is all gone. There, feel better? :lol_hitti

If you hit the skunk or otherwise got the liquid on your vehicle, the scent can last for days to weeks, depending on how much scent liquid is on the vehicle and where it is. Nooks and crannies could hold scent 'goo' for a l-o-n-g time.

Super-secret skunk scent shampoo:

1 qt of plain 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup or so of baking soda
1 tbsp or so of detergent/shampoo

Mix when needed, apply, rinse well. Re-apply as needed. Keep out of eyes, do not drink, do not store or try to store in a closed container (it releases oxygen bubbles and will build up pressure and wll also go 'flat'). Also for use on fur or cloth as needed, again keep out of eyes if fur is involved (think Fideaux and Pepe le' Peu in a disagreement).

GTO
02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
In other news:It gets dark after sunset ;)

JamieK
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Haha, you guys are funny! My wife wanted me to wash the entire car in tomato juice :wtf: On the bright side, no one will be borrowing my car in the forseeable future!

Lkdelta
02-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Haha, you guys are funny! My wife wanted me to wash the entire car in tomato juice :wtf: On the bright side, no one will be borrowing my car in the forseeable future!

that's usually a good thing..at least if you just put gas in, it'll stay there for a bit

bookman51
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Used to have a dog that had no fear of skunks. Usually she would tear into one when I was gone from home. I knew I was in trouble when my wife would call and say, "You know what YOUR dog did!" Hydrogen peroxide and some Shakley product (but maybe just soap would work) would do the trick. Don't know if you would want to use it on your car to not. Smell is going to remain even if you missed just a little spot.

Good luck.

Bookman

KCarGuy
02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I am not sure what is worse...being the car that hit the Skunk...
...or...
Being the car directly behind the car that hit the skunk!!!

both are bad!

kbkna
02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Thank goodness it is not a lab. The smell adheres almost permanently to their oily fur!

Brew62
02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
It will last forever and you will never get rid of it, it will only get worse......I'll give you a hundred bucks for it!

RbrtAWhyt
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I've been passing a dead one in the middle of the road on my route to work. It's been there over a month and I can still smell it when I pass it. What's left of it is right on the yellow lines...

mustangmccance
02-01-2011, 10:00 PM
:lol_hitticould be worse think about how the skunk feels

Hank McMauser
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM
One of my drivers hit one last week with the f-150 I had to break out the hotsy nothing like high pressure at 180 -210 deg F.with the detergent, I payed special attention to the inner fenderwells most if not all of the smell is gone.

hootie
02-01-2011, 10:18 PM
i would go to a car wash where they can run it through to where it washes the underside of it. Might now help but it can do a better job than you ever would be able to do yourself.

ForceFed70
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
My grandfather got sprayed by a skunk recently. Poor old bugger.

It was all over his jacket, then he got into his truck with cloth seats.

He tried everything. Peroxide, tomato juice, etc. Washed it at least 5x and it still stunk. Then he went to a local chemmist and they gave him some special solution, worked like a hot dam!

BrandonS
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I hit one in my car before and just spraying under it with a pressure washer i remember it taking 2 days until it didn't stink too bad, then i could still faintly smell it for another day or so.

jwillis
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
I remember when my wife and I first got married back in the early 70s, she, her parents and I went out to eat one night. On the way home, it was raining and I was driving my father in law's brand new Chevrolet Station wagon. I saw a skunk come running from the side of the road and before I could do anything it ran right under the car and I rolled it up in the wheelwell. I didn't say anything and none of them saw it. When we got to their house, I hit the garage door opener and pulled the car into the garage. When we got out my wife said, "Ew-w-w-w-w, I smell a skunk" and everyone ran into the house. They didn't realize it was all over the car. I laughed so hard about that all the way home and waited a few days to tell my wife. I guess my father in law took it to the car wash and ran it through a few times. It really stunk up their garage for a while.

TONE
02-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Sounds off the wall but crap in the glove box

Matt M, PA
02-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Some of the smell may be in the HVAC vents. A friend of ours is a local Police Chief and one of his officers hit a skunk.

The sent the patrol car through the car wash numerous times, but the smell was still evident inside the car.

I took Fabreeze...a heavier duty version I think I got a an auto parts store. Started the car and turned the air conditioning on the highest fan speed but NOT Max AC as you want it to draw from the outside. Next, spray a good amount into the inlet at the base of the windshield. As soon as you smell the Fabreeze in the car...turn the car off. Allow the product to linger in the vents awhile. Took the smell out for this car.

There is also a specific product made to be used the same way to get rid of the moldy smell some cars get in the vents.

blazsawgras
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
couldnt imagine hitting a skunk. just passing by a dead skunk in the road stinks very bad.

koditten
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I know I am going to regret chiming in.

My yellow lab has a love affair with skunks. When he gets with one, we always spray him down with Masengill Feminine Dueshe. We couldn't believe how well this stuff neutralizes the smell. Of couirse you can't use the stuff on the dogs eyes, mouth and nose, but he gets sprayed down everywhere else and it cuts the smell by 90%.

I can't see why trying this with a car wouldn't work. Get yourself a cheap spray bottle, fill it with the dusche solution and start spraying things down.

Yeah, yeah, I get to surrender my man card now:)