View Full Version : garage door frozen shut

billcole
02-05-2011, 06:54 AM
I would like to know what you guys have done to keep the garage doors from freezing shut. I only heat my garage when I work in it and usually water forms at the bottom then overnight it freezes. I would like to stay away from salt because I don't want to hurt the floor, any suggestions.

poppop
02-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Leave the door up a little higher.

nate379
02-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Leave it open a little bit.

JeremyManning
02-05-2011, 07:23 AM
I plug in a trouble light close to the door, also spray the weather stipping with pam helps to not let it stick to the ice

lilredex
02-05-2011, 07:25 AM
At a place I had, there was the same problem. It was an overhead type door, so I put extra holes in the track a couple of inches above the original ones. That way it could be off the ground and still be locked. It worked out OK...........no racoons (or squirrels) around there.

nehog
02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Spray the rubbers seal with silicone spray? Or any other rubber safe non-stick spray?

Me, I give the door a bit of a kick to break it loose if it is frozen down. Seems to always work.

darkk
02-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Lay a piece of plastic ( or plastic paint tarp ) under the door before you close it...

rquackenbush
02-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I like the "spray the seal with teflon" plan. That way you're still closing the door all the way.

Buckgnarly
02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Vaseline on mine. no problems since.

rodm1
02-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Silicon and Armor all works OK to.

s_ontario
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
rub with wax toilet ring...... yes it works

nehog
02-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Silicon and Armor all works OK to.

Only problem with Armor all is that it is too water soluble and needs respraying more often.

Big-Foot
02-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Okay - I just had this problem yesterday. Thank God the opener stalled and stopped. I will be looking into some other alternatives to the WD40 I sprayed on the floor and the seal to keep them from sticking together for a day or so. Not a fan of leaving it open a little as it's a great way to bring mice in from the cold. Not a fan of using a vegetable oil spray like PAM because it might attract the little buggers (mice) also.. Plastic on the floor idea would work until the car drove across it..

Any other creative or proven ideas out there?

dirttracker18
02-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Funny you should post this because whenever a thread regarding drains pops up and we mention freezing, someone always argues that it never happens or they have never heard/seen such a thing.

Mine freezes only slightly as I have heated floors to keep it from freezing solid.

Silicon spray seems to work well but needs to be applied to a warm seal. A hair drier helps to warm things up before application.

djjsr
02-21-2013, 08:39 AM
I spray it with de-icer. The stuff you spray on windshields.

crf731
02-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Depends on how much water is pooling under your door.

If it is just a little bit, cut a sheet of plywood into 1' wide strips and lay them under the door so the door closes on top of the plywood.

You could put a heat tape in the bottom of your door to keep it warm so it doesn't freeze, but pluging it in all the time would be a pain.

I've seen a weather seal somewhere that is about an 1" high that you glue down to the concrete and the door closes on top of that, kind of like the plywood idea. Can't remember exactly where I saw it but I think it was in the skymall magazine on an airplane.

roblouvasz
02-21-2013, 08:47 AM
What about addding a threshold? I've others on GJ do it.

Stuart in MN
02-21-2013, 09:56 AM
I just kick the bottom of the door a couple times to break it loose before I open it. :) If it's stuck down hard, I can slip the edge of my snow shovel under it and pry it loose.

It only happens to my door a couple times a year so I haven't put much thought into solutions.

Big-Foot
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
thanks guys.. I think I will try the silicone... Drying to get the wife to kick the door is going to result in
A) Damaged Door
B) Damaged Foot
C) All the above and I get a Damaged set of pills...

It was a bugger to pry up when I used my crow bar... frozen for a good 5'

yuk
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
rub with wax toilet ring...... yes it works

DONT DO THIS!!!, i once did and then my toilet leaked afterwards.

yuk
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
just kiddin,

i prefer to use vasoline on the weatherstrip.
works great on cars too!!

texaspyro21
02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
I've seen extension cords that were designed to hear up to keep pipes from freezing. What about laying something like that under the door?

Mattlt
02-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Our fire station has heated seals on the doors. There's a coiled cord hard-wired to each door. Never had a problem with one freezing, so I've never really researched how they work.

Not sure what the brand is of the top of my head, and google isn't cooperating when I look.

Another thing I stumbled across was a brush-like seal on the bottom of the door. Looks like they are marketed mainly to carwashes. Might be worth a look.

santagary
02-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Mine were frozen the other day from snow drifting from the SW forming sort of a dam and then melting when the sun came out and then that water freezing under the seal. I hauled a few buckets of hot water from the house and dumped them next to the door and then they opened. I then sprayed them with silicone and no problems since. :rocker:

cyamaha2007
02-22-2013, 07:03 PM
I used Vaseline on mine no issues since.