View Full Version : Vinyl siding and bees

GirlnAgarage
02-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Our house exterior is part brick and part vinyl siding. I've discovered bees have made a home behind the siding from the swarming going on on warm days. Left side is paper wasps, the right side is red wasps. Complicating the extermination is the bees enter the siding at the top corners of the upstairs windows. They also creep in at the ends of the siding at the vertical corners. Also at the top where the siding meets the soffet/overhang.

I've had one pest guy come out and tell me I need to caulk the corners of the windows because the gap is too big. But I've read you don't caulk there because the siding needs room to contract and expand. We've got no practical experience living with vinyl siding.

Off the top of our heads we're thinking it'll be a coordinated service call between a beekeeper and a siding guy. Sounds like a headache. We could use some words of advise on going about getting rid of our bees and preventing another occurrence (if that's even possible).

Thanks

Photos to help

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/MMK13/th_vinylsiding.jpg (http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/MMK13/vinylsiding.jpg) http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/MMK13/th_closeupsiding.jpg (http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/MMK13/closeupsiding.jpg)

willymakeit
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
There are people who remove the bee's. Contact them . They usally put the bee's ina hive.

SARG
02-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Wasps and Bees are two totally different creatures.

For wasps just spray the snot out of them with the long distance spray cans ..... preferably at night.

Boiler
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Nothing to input except get it taken care of asap. I didn't know I had a bee problem until I was walking through my utility room one day, and a bee buzzed past me. I was already halfway through the room, when I stopped, attempted to follow him with my eyes, and then realized there were probably 4-500 bees in the room.

And I think they were all standing still staring at me....

I didn't wait for the beehive guys. Several cans of spray shot through a crack in the door basically fogged the room for a few hours, and I returned to dead bees EVERYWHERE. There are still some corpses in that room I can guarantee, years later. Bees suck.

scott37300
02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I will second boiler's advice, bees and wasps suck. My mom found a nest behind an outside light fixture, they were going in threw the water drain hole on the bottom of the fixture. I ended up taking the light fixture off and had mom spraying with two cans off bee killer and I had two fly swatters smacking as many as I could as they came out and then the ones we missed would try coming back and it was a mess. I ended up pulling some of the siding off to see where all the bees were and they were in the stud cavity, going threw the electrical box. I sprayed as much as I could and then taped everything up for a week and then put everything back together.

I have had many other experiences with bees in siding and what not.

And you can caulk the tops of the siding, caulk is flexable and should be able to allow the siding to expand and contract.

GirlnAgarage
02-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Definitely a difference in wasps and bees. I should have titled that correctly :o

Right now I do not have a visual on the hive so praying them directly will take some work. The only way I can think to expose the hive is to remove the siding. Is that right?

Grumpy365
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
There are people who remove the bee's. Contact them . They usally put the bee's ina hive.

Moving bees is a lot more rare than the media makes you think.

You call a bee keeper and majority of the time, they will kill the bees.
(at least that has been my experience).

A lot of un kept hives (wild bees) now have a mix of some Africanized bee or some BS.

Kevin54
02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Get a couple cans of Wasp & Hornet spray that shoots 20' and nail them with that. The residue left that goes behind the siding a little will deter the wasp from starting to build another nest there. At least when I had shutters on my house I would spray when they started to build and was good for a year or more depending on where the location was.

ambenz
02-08-2011, 07:10 PM
After spraying insectaside and removing the nests,
If any opening is too large to plug, spray foam in those areas just enough to plug the holes, trying to keep excess off of any visable areas. Masking the area around the opening helps. After it drys, cut off excess.

burleymike
02-08-2011, 07:58 PM
When we bought our house it had brick on the bottom half of the walls and aluminum siding on the top half. I discovered stucco under the aluminum. When we tore the aluminum off you would not believe the spider, wasp, ants, and earwigs that were nesting under there.

I don't know if it is just the nature of that type of siding or if it was installed poorly but I was disgusted at how many different types of pests were living behind the siding, glad to have it gone.

Hopefully you can get that sealed up somehow and stop the little bastards from coming back.

54FordPanel
02-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I had them (wasps) build a nest behind my wood siding. The nest must have be HUGE inside the wall, because there were 1000s of wasps.
That wasp killer spray only works on contact, so it only kills the wasps you can see and hit.
I took down a section of siding down, for another reason, but I sealed the holes they made in the celotex with caulking and spray foam.
Damn if they didn't chew new holes right back out of the celotex within days.

My advise is to seal your siding with whatever means necessary to kill the bastards. Come spring and summer, then you can worry about opening up the gaps again so your siding can flex.

And put up those yellow jacket traps everywhere.

red69ss
02-09-2011, 08:23 AM
I had to deal with wasp getting under my fake shutters on my vinyl siding, I just sprayed the wasp killer behind them and it took care of the wasp. Since your nest aren't exposed I doubt the spray will work for you, but I would still try it.

You deffinently want to eliminate areas they can get under your siding, earlier this year I found a hornets nest inside my wall cavity when remodeling my master bedroom. Luckily it wasn't an active nest, and I figured out they were getting in around the windows before I installed new windows. A couple of years prior to this there was a hornets nest in a tree about twenty yards from this window that I busted with a shotgun.

here's a couple pics I took of the hornets nest...

foss
02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
I would get up there and caulk all holes you can find.My buddy and I did that at his house last year that had a big nest and that was it.

jwillis
02-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I had a problem with yellow jackets. They were up in the two foot vinyl overhang outside my front door. I saw where they were going into the corner and getting under the siding so I put some masking tape along the edge to keep them out. The next thing you know, they were getting in at the other end of the siding so I put some more masking tape to cover that up. Then some more here. Then some more there- next thing you know I had masking tape all over the front of the house and was looking around to see if any of my neighbors were looking over at my house to get a glimpse at the neighborhood idiot. I finally took all of the masking tape down and without getting stung and with yellowjackets flying all over the place, I pulled down some of the siding and tossed a couple cans of insect fogger up in the overhang and watched the fun. They couldn't get out fast enough and few of them survived. I never saw any of them the rest of the summer. Try RAID fogger to get back under siding. Just don't breath the stuff.

GirlnAgarage
02-09-2011, 08:53 AM
red69ss, I'm definitely worried about them getting in the walls. There have been a couple wasps that have made it into the house and I'm not real sure how. The cold weather lately has sparked an intense weatherization around the house. So I did foam insulated around all my outlets in the walls (no, I did not spray it in the box and I used the foam that minimally expands - DAP brand). I made sure all outlets were as airtight (and bee-tight) as I could make it and secured all outlet covers. I'm hoping that eliminates a point of entry.

jwillis, that sounds like what I've got going on on the left side there. I've got a few foggers I plan to throw into the soffet (I just gotta reach it all the way up there). The last panel on the corner is not secured down :headscrat I also plan to fog the attic. I'll close up the vents and shut down the AC/Heater (central air). I know for a fact there's a tear in one of the ducts in he attic that we've yet to repair. I'm curious if that was a point of entry into the house too. I had the pest guy get up in the attic to see if he could spot a nest or bees for that matter but he called all clear. So, as far as I know, they haven't fully infiltrated the attic (thank goodness).

Has anyone used a dust? Like Seven Dust? I wonder if I could puff some of that in the large cracks.

I need to get an extension ladder. Right now it is the height of the problem area that is stunting the efforts.

Busted_Knuckles
02-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, I bought and took apart a house built in 1904 this last year, it was ship-lap construction, on studs 16" ish", at some point the cedar lap was removed and aluminum lap replaced. I pulled off all the of the aluminum, and re-sheathed the house with 1/2 OSB, and I have yet to side it with LP Smart Side. Anyhow, the house was infested with Mud-daubers, and the paper style wasps. It was Oct-Nov here in Illinois (cold for those not familiar), and we where still pulling off siding and nests where still falling to ground with semi-alive wasps. In total the house had easily 30+ different nests, in the stud walls, in the lap siding, the aluminum siding, and in the soffits.

We went through several cases of wasp killer while working on the house. I sprayed the entire interior of the the stud walls with open cell expanding foam (had a contractor do it). I wanted to stop air infiltration and insects. We also came across hundreds of thousand of the chinese beetles, that look like lady bugs. You'd be surprised how much shit sets up camp inside the walls of an old house. Also uncovered some monster sized spiders that where cleaning up allot of insects around the porch lights. Oh and lets not forget the squirrel nest in the attic !

What kind of surprises me, on the property are 9 out buildings, all 100 years old and less, totaling 25k sqft, none of which seem to have wasps flying in and around, and all off the buildings are very "loose", to the point that barn swallows and sparrows can be found in all but one. Just think that's strange the wasps only like the house, there has to be something to that.

Im siding the house this spring, Ive already got about 10 cases of elastomeric caulk sitting there to seal it up. For Im not having any residents that are not paying rent....