View Full Version : Dewalt vs IR air compressor

dorksterr
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I have been looking around for an air compressor. I posted a question about the HF air compressor for $99 a few weeks ago and it was recommended that I look for a better model if I wanted to do light automotive work. My original plan was to get a compressor to blow out my irrigation system before the winter ($60 to pay someone to do it). But then I thought how it would be nice to be able to use some air tools.

So I have looked at the following due to air needs and noise:

Dewalt D55168 is a nice one from HD at $389. It is oil-less and rated at 5.4 SCFM @90 psi and 78db

IR P1.5IU-A9 is offered at Northern Tools for $499. It is oiled and rated at 5.5CFM @90 psi and 75-80db.

Is 75db loud? I plan on having this in my attached garage so noise is an issue for me. Given the price difference which one should I go with. I plan on using this compressor for light automotive use, impact, wrench and so on.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ETravis
03-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I have the dewalt and love it. I haven't had any issues in the 2+ years that I've owned it. It is loud but in my experience all compressors are!

scott37300
03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I have this dewalt, http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497925. I use it as my portable compressor, have a big compressor in the garage. I use the dewalt for stuff inside the house like nail guns and what not and for taking to friends houses if need be. I have run impacts off it and even cut offs. Mine runs out of air pretty quick with a small tank. I have done a couple roofs with it running two nail guns going to town.

It is a good compressor that I have worked like a dog for about 4-5 years now and it keeps chugging. It's not the quietest but it isn't to loud. I think it's a pretty good compressor for the money.

pipsters
03-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Look at these as well:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396622_200396622

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916474000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Sears one is $440 or so after coupons I think, still kinda pricey though for what it is, as is the IR.

MattT
03-04-2011, 02:51 AM
That dewalt is a POS unless it's been revised in the last couple years. Way louder than the claimed 78db and isn't close to it's rated cfm output either. The only nice thing I can say about them is the plastic cover does a good job containing the compressor head when it self destructs.

scott37300
03-04-2011, 09:13 AM
That dewalt is a POS unless it's been revised in the last couple years. Way louder than the claimed 78db and isn't close to it's rated cfm output either. The only nice thing I can say about them is the plastic cover does a good job containing the compressor head when it self destructs.

I don't know what the differences are between the one I linked to and the OP linked besides the tank size. But I worked the crap out of mine and it keeps going. Used it on almost anything in the last 5 years, 2 roofing guns going balls out, even hooked an HVLP spray gun up to it and with the small tank size the motor ran constant for hours without any problems. The only issue I have had is the regulator got some crud built up in it and I had to take it apart to clean it up.

rsanter
03-04-2011, 09:35 AM
also look at costco
my dad has a pancake conpressor that he got there and that thing will drive my snap on impact and air ratchet. I was amazed

all of the oil-less compressors are loud. perhaps you need to have a little closet in your garage to hold it

bob

dorksterr
03-04-2011, 10:45 AM
If I do get one this year I am sort of leaning towards the Dewalt. It's a little smaller than the IR, rated for what I need and the noise level is lower than most others, and the price seems about what I want to spend. I'd pay more of the IR if it is worth it.

Does anyone have any experience with the IR (performance, noise level)?

Thanks,

pipsters
03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Search here for "garage mate", I remember reading a few reviews on here about that IR.

tool_enthusiast
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Bringing this thread back. I am also torn between these exact two models (i.e. Dewalt 15 gallon D55168 versus the IR 20 gallon Garage Mate P1.5IU). I bought the IR but am always wondering if the Dewalt is a better fit for me. One of my requirements is to get a compact compressor. The IR weighs a heavy 200 lbs while the Dewalt is only half that. The Dewalt is also a bit more compact which fits my garage better. Actually the tanks on both are about the same diameter, so it's the motor on top that takes up the extra room. I like the fact that it's only 100 lbs so I can easily load it in my car by myself. I don't think I can lift the IR myself.

As for performance the IR has a max PSI of 135 while the Dewalt is 200. I'm wondering if the higher PSI on the Dewalt makes air tools last longer before the motor starts up again. I do understand the differences with an oiless compressor versus oiled, but for now I'm not concerned with this unless someone out there swears by only getting oiled, because I would not be using this compressor every day.

Can anyone with this particular Dewalt share their experiences? Pros, cons?

tool_enthusiast
05-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Bringing this thread back. I am also torn between these exact two models (i.e. Dewalt 15 gallon D55168 versus the IR 20 gallon Garage Mate P1.5IU). I bought the IR but am always wondering if the Dewalt is a better fit for me. One of my requirements is to get a compact compressor. The IR weighs a heavy 200 lbs while the Dewalt is only half that. The Dewalt is also a bit more compact which fits my garage better. Actually the tanks on both are about the same diameter, so it's the motor on top that takes up the extra room. I like the fact that it's only 100 lbs so I can easily load it in my car by myself. I don't think I can lift the IR myself.

As for performance the IR has a max PSI of 135 while the Dewalt is 200. I'm wondering if the higher PSI on the Dewalt makes air tools last longer before the motor starts up again. I do understand the differences with an oiless compressor versus oiled, but for now I'm not concerned with this unless someone out there swears by only getting oiled, because I would not be using this compressor every day.

Can anyone with this particular Dewalt share their experiences? Pros, cons?

Bumping this thread up. I really need some opinions to help make my final decision on which one of the two compressors to own.

psychoclaw84
05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
The Dewalt compressor looks impressive. But it is a oil-less compressor that is prone to wear. Although folks swear by the product, I suspect that it will wear and have a short life.

The IR compressor is also impressive, everything looks very durable and will provide years of service.

I didn't choose either for my purchase. Instead I purchased a NAPA compressor, saved some cash on eliminating shipping costs.

The Napa online catalog does not show the compressor, it is similar to the Chicago Pnuematics RCP-226VP and the spec:

7.1 cfm @ 110 psi, which is the highest output for a similar sized compressor using 120 volts.

As for cost, all three compressors are approximately $500, got mine during the annual NAPA days sale for $400.

I owned my compressor for 3 years and have not encountered any problems. :thumbup:

pipsters
05-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Id really doubt the claim of 7 cfm, if you look around about the max you get with a 2 HP running 120v compressor is around 6 cfm. So that is probably starting cfm like they all used to be rated for. I think mine used to be rated at 7.8 or something crazy.

Aklass
05-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I say look at the kobalt 30 gallon and HF's new 29 gallon compressors!

tool_enthusiast
05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I say look at the kobalt 30 gallon and HF's new 29 gallon compressors!

I did see the Kobalt 30 gallon but it's a big foot print in my garage, so didn't even consider it. As for HF, I'd much rather stay away from them for compressors...I'm still a big fan of HF though!

tool_enthusiast
05-09-2011, 09:51 AM
The Dewalt compressor looks impressive. But it is a oil-less compressor that is prone to wear. Although folks swear by the product, I suspect that it will wear and have a short life.

The IR compressor is also impressive, everything looks very durable and will provide years of service.

I didn't choose either for my purchase. Instead I purchased a NAPA compressor, saved some cash on eliminating shipping costs.

The Napa online catalog does not show the compressor, it is similar to the Chicago Pnuematics RCP-226VP and the spec:

7.1 cfm @ 110 psi, which is the highest output for a similar sized compressor using 120 volts.

As for cost, all three compressors are approximately $500, got mine during the annual NAPA days sale for $400.

I owned my compressor for 3 years and have not encountered any problems. :thumbup:

What is the exact model of your NAPA? You got me curious to see what this one is all about.

Thanks.

tool_enthusiast
05-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I have been looking around for an air compressor. I posted a question about the HF air compressor for $99 a few weeks ago and it was recommended that I look for a better model if I wanted to do light automotive work. My original plan was to get a compressor to blow out my irrigation system before the winter ($60 to pay someone to do it). But then I thought how it would be nice to be able to use some air tools.

So I have looked at the following due to air needs and noise:

Dewalt D55168 is a nice one from HD at $389. It is oil-less and rated at 5.4 SCFM @90 psi and 78db

IR P1.5IU-A9 is offered at Northern Tools for $499. It is oiled and rated at 5.5CFM @90 psi and 75-80db.

Is 75db loud? I plan on having this in my attached garage so noise is an issue for me. Given the price difference which one should I go with. I plan on using this compressor for light automotive use, impact, wrench and so on.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If you're still following this thread, just curious on which compressor you ended up getting?

tool_enthusiast
05-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Well, being that I have owned the IR Garage Mate P1.5IU for less than a week now, I thought I'd give my take on it so far.

Some details: it maxes out at around 135psi before the motor cuts off. At around 100psi the motor kicks back in. Setting the regulator at around 125psi, I took my IR2131qt and ran it full speed reverse, no load, to see how long it took to get from 135psi to 90psi. Time was around 15-20 seconds. At 100psi the motor kicked in, but the psi continued to drop until I released the trigger on the gun at 90psi. I might try this test again tonight and re-time it, but this time setting the regulator at 90psi. I have read a similar test done at 90psi regulator for the Dewalt D55168 and it took almost a minute. I will see how the IR does once I try 90psi tonight.

Being I haven't owned a compressor before, I can't say how loud (or quiet) it is, but most reviews on this compressor say it's quiet compared to other compressors. I'd say it's not obnoxiously loud even though I will go upstairs in my house and I can sort of hear it. I think it seems quieter, or maybe as loud as some shop vacs I own.

My biggest complaint of the IR, of course, is the weight at 200 lbs. I know this could mean a sign of good quality, but in terms of portability, I would want something lighter in case I need to transport it somewhere. The Dewalt is clearly the winner here in terms of weight at less than 100 lbs.

Size-wise, the tanks on both the IR and Dewalt take up about the same space on the garage floor. I have seen the Dewalt in person to determine this. However, the motor of the IR clearly takes up more space on the top end, but overall they both seem to take up about the same foot print on the floor (when you remove the handle on the IR that is).

As for the IR being an oil compressor versus the Dewalt being oiless, I might not be concerned as much because I don't plan on using the compressor every day, so both compressors would probably last me a long time.

psychoclaw84
05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
What is the exact model of your NAPA? You got me curious to see what this one is all about.

Thanks.

It is a Napa Nitro Air Compressor
Model # NAC 82-4253-PAT

Manufactured for NAPA by Schrader Bridgeport

tool_enthusiast
05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok, thought I should post an update on this thread.

I went through the trouble of getting both compressors in my garage...yup, call me crazy, but I now have them side by side, so I can answer my own questions. :)

I am picking the 15 gallon Dewalt D55168 and will eventually return the 20 gallon Garage Mate. If anyone wants to know any specifics, now is the time to ask while I still have them both.

Essentially I picked the Dewalt as the overall winner because it holds 200 PSI. I can easily run my impact gun for long periods of time before it gets down to 90 PSI. Both compressors have about the same CFM rating, so when I did the same test using the IR 2131qt gun, letting it run full speed on reverse with the regulator on the Dewalt set to 120 PSI, it took close to 50 seconds to get from 200 PSI down to 90 PSI. The IR compressor only has 135 PSI max, and the same test only yielded about 15 seconds to get down to 90 PSI. Clearly the Dewalt has much more air storage capacity given the higher PSI, yet 15 gallon tank size compared with the 20 gallons on the IR. In fact, I could just turn off the Dewalt after it fills to 200 PSI and it would probably be enough for whatever job I needed to get done on my car. How nice is that to not ever hear the compressor kicking in the whole time.

The IR does win in term of low noise level though. I took dBm measurements using a sound meter and at about 3 feet distance from the IR in my garage, I measured about 85dbm. The Dewalt measures at around 89dBm. And I can also tell just by listening that the Dewalt is a bit noisier, but not by much.

The IR might last longer for people who want to use it every day because it's oil driven compared to oil free on the Dewalt. However, given the fact that I would only be using my compressor on weekends (and not even close to every weekend at that), I decided durability will be ok for my needs whichever one I choose.

Another deciding factor is the Dewalt is MUCH lighter than the IR. It's less than 100 lbs compared to the 200 lb IR. I can easily wheel the Dewalt around the garage and even bring it with me should I ever want to buy a nail gun and work on my mom's house. The IR is definitely not going to be something I would transport around, that's for sure.

Finally, the Dewalt is over $100 cheaper, although I managed to get the Garage Mate for a good deal, which made it pretty close to the $389 the Dewalt costed me. I think if I had paid full price for the IR, I would easily just return it without thinking much.

skeletonizer
05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/skeletonized/DSC03122.jpg

I have had mine for a year and a half. I regularly run impacts, air ratchets, a die grinder, cut off tool off it without issue.

I wanted enough air for wrenching on cars and jeeps in a still easily portable package.

I have it in a separate room from my main shop area and it is not so loud as to stop a conversation.

I am completely satisfied with it.

tool_enthusiast
05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/skeletonized/DSC03122.jpg

I have had mine for a year and a half. I regularly run impacts, air ratchets, a die grinder, cut off tool off it without issue.

I wanted enough air for wrenching on cars and jeeps in a still easily portable package.

I have it in a separate room from my main shop area and it is not so loud as to stop a conversation.

I am completely satisfied with it.

That's great to hear. Makes me even more confident I picked the right compressor for my needs. Thanks a lot!

cyanidecotdpnuts
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
If you're looking for something that isn't as noisy as usual, try this
http://www.gesusa.com/Belaire-IMC-5020P-Air-Compressor-p/101220.htm

Also

http://www.gesusa.com/3560V-60-Gallon-3-5-HP-Air-Compressor-p/101235.htm

I think they have them for cheaper on ebay or costco as well.

tool_enthusiast
05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
If you're looking for something that isn't as noisy as usual, try this
http://www.gesusa.com/Belaire-IMC-5020P-Air-Compressor-p/101220.htm

Also

http://www.gesusa.com/3560V-60-Gallon-3-5-HP-Air-Compressor-p/101235.htm

I think they have them for cheaper on ebay or costco as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, but those 2 models wouldn't fit my criteria as the first link shows a horizontal compressor and the other shows a 60 gallon model. I just don't have the room in my garage to accomodate such models, plus I want semi-portable, so upright, around 15-25 gallons was my criteria.

tool_enthusiast
05-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Just thought I'd post a picture of the two together to see the size differences. They both take up about the same amount of floor space, so you can't go wrong if you're considering how much room either will take up in your garage.

pipsters
05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I think you made a good choice for your needs. I have a horizontal 25 gallon Craftsman, that is semi-portable in that you can roll around but loading it in the back of a wagon or pickup would take two people.

Looks like you got the best of both worlds, while the oil-less ones do wear out faster (pistons) some one on here who knew about them said replacing the piston/ring was a simple cheap job and brought it back to brand new.

What I did was time how long it took my compressor to pump up to full PSI, it was right around 4 mins. When that starts getting to the 5-6 min mark I will start investigating putting new rings on it.

tool_enthusiast
05-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I think you made a good choice for your needs. I have a horizontal 25 gallon Craftsman, that is semi-portable in that you can roll around but loading it in the back of a wagon or pickup would take two people.

Looks like you got the best of both worlds, while the oil-less ones do wear out faster (pistons) some one on here who knew about them said replacing the piston/ring was a simple cheap job and brought it back to brand new.

What I did was time how long it took my compressor to pump up to full PSI, it was right around 4 mins. When that starts getting to the 5-6 min mark I will start investigating putting new rings on it.

Thanks a lot! Great to know I might be able to fix the Dewalt one day. And that's a good way to benchmark how my compressor is doing; never thought of that. I think I'll start timing it occasionally too then!