View Full Version : skid steer skid marks

RobKong
06-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to epoxy the floor in my recently built shop. The contractor used a skid steer to put up the trusses, and subsequently left black skid marks on the concrete. I gave the floor an acid wash, albeit a somewhat diluted one, and tried grease/oil remover, but they remain (although are a bit lighter...)

Any ideas on how to remove these skid marks? I worry the epoxy won't bond to the floor over those areas.

sjsfire
06-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I had the same problem after I prepped my floor for my sealer only with my truck tires leaving marks. I used my homeowner type power washer 1400 psi model. You might try that or maybe one with a high psi would work better.

Dave88LX
06-01-2007, 10:34 PM
You can borrow my new 3000 PSI unit Rob if you were closer. ;)

RobKong
06-02-2007, 07:42 AM
I forgot to mention I powerwashed it already too. My dad has a pretty stout unit I borrowed, and I didn't have to go to Maryland and endure the Curse Of Dave...

The last time Dave and I were in the same place at the same time:

http://www.mustangcentral.net/rr/carnage/MVC-470S.JPG

I think I'm going to try to rent a floor grinder/sander and hit it with that :)

bmwpower
06-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Angle grinder
Orbital sander
Belt sander
Concrete grinder
Shotblaster

...take your pick.

Tire marks like those are only on the surface.

RobKong
06-02-2007, 04:35 PM
well I spent most of the day working on this stupid floor. I rented a floor sander (nobody in town had a floor grinder,) and after I figured out just how much water to keep on the floor and what grit paper to use, it did a decent job. I then acid washed, rinsed then powerwashed it using a 3000 psi unit. Most of the marks are history, but you can still see faint remnants of them in places. I may hit those with my big angle grinder. But I'm beat up pretty good right now, so the floor is buying me a couple beers...

vinculum
06-07-2007, 01:21 AM
I had the same marks from when they installed my ceiling....

I rented a floor sander from Home Depot and used the roughest "scotch brite" looking pad they had. Worked great!

Bolted
06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
You may want to try a degreaser or citrus based cleaner to remove tire marks. Good Luck!