View Full Version : HF Earthquake 3/8" impact wrench

TheGrooveking
04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Anyone try/use the HF Earthquake 3/8" impact wrench? It seems very similar to the IR212 I have at home, I was thinking about the HF unit for work, just want to get some feedback before spending $68 ($85-20%).

TheGrooveking

rockwithjason
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
i have used the half inch model, seems ok but i don't use it everyday.

Cryptic1911
04-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Any reason you can't use the 1/2" model? (I typed this up before I realized you wrote 3/8")

I bought one last week, seems to work pretty damn good. I don't have a ton of air tool experience to base it off of, but using it on a cheap HF 21 gal compressor with a crusty 35 year old 3/8 hose that leaks, and it worked great.. had plenty of power from what I could tell. It zipped my lugs right off without even batting an eye

Chadro
04-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I've got the 1/2 model at the house. I don't use it much but it's damn good for as cheap as it was. Don't even think of looking at any of the non earthquake guns, they're worthless.

TheGrooveking
04-22-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm looking at the 3/8 version since it is smaller and lighter, from a torque perspective I don't need more than 150 ft.lbs.. This is for an application at work were every couple day basis there is a setup that requires about 100 hundred 1/2" bolts to be removed and then reinstalled/tightened and this would do a great job, I think, but just wanted to find out if this unit was a good one.

TheGrooveking

budk
04-22-2011, 02:32 PM
I believe the only reason to buy the earthquake is too get the high torque. If you don't need the higher torque, why spend the extra money for the earthquate.

I have a 1/2" Earthquate and I love it... but I bought a cheap 3/8" HF gun specifically because it was lower torque.

TheGrooveking
04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I believe the only reason to buy the earthquake is too get the high torque. If you don't need the higher torque, why spend the extra money for the earthquate.

I have a 1/2" Earthquate and I love it... but I bought a cheap 3/8" HF gun specifically because it was lower torque.

After reading the reviews for other HF 3/8" impact wrenches I think the only one worth a dame is the Earthquake model.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2498.jpg

TheGrooveking

darkk
04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
We bought the 1/2" Earthquake and it works great even on one of HF's 2.5hp 21gal. compressors.

toolnut
04-22-2011, 10:46 PM
After reading the reviews for other HF 3/8" impact wrenches I think the only one worth a dame is the Earthquake model.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2498.jpg

TheGrooveking

I would say that looks like a rebadged IR.

v7guy
04-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I grabbed a 3/8" "professional" the other day.
it's not a torque house but it rips off a lot. I paid a bit under $19 for it with a coupon. I'm pretty happy with it. I really couldn't justify the $70+ for the earthquake.
there are a lot of guys that say the earthquake is a solid buy. i couldn't spend the money though considering I was just getting into air tools

Marlin
04-23-2011, 08:18 AM

It's not.

1931S/X
04-23-2011, 09:07 AM
i have the 1/2" and love it. i was planning on buying the 3/8 but my brother bought me a 3/8 kobalt and it does the job.

briggsguy17
04-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Nothing at HF is re-badged. It is all cloned! The Chinese have been doing it for years. Saves them a ton of money in the R&D and advertising department and fools the uninformed!:)

472scout
04-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Maybe a rip off of the external design.

toolnut
04-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Maybe a rip off of the external design.

It sure is a nice copy. I guess that's why they sell a lot of knock offs in everything else too.

2002maniac
04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Sure the earthquake is decent, but i paid quite a bit less for a used ir ti model off ebay. A much better buy in my opinion. I imagine it will last longer and if it does break i can get replacement parts at grainger.

May Pop
04-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Today I went and bought a 3/8 Earth Quake impact. I have an almost new IR 212 at home. I lubed them both up then took off the tires on my son Jeep. 90 pounds torqued with a torque wrench. Both worked a little then easily removed the lug nuts. They had neversieze on them. I rotated the tires then reinstalled the nuts. Both guns easily over torqued the nuts. I would say the IR is quieter.Both seem to have equal strength. Cant say which will last longer but my IR 231 is 20+ and still going strong. IR212 was 125 shipped from tooltopia less than 1 year ago. Earth Quake 85-25%= 69 out the door with Illinois tax. A very good gun for the money.
Ron

TheGrooveking
04-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Today I went and bought a 3/8 Earth Quake impact. I have an almost new IR 212 at home. I lubed them both up then took off the tires on my son Jeep. 90 pounds torqued with a torque wrench. Both worked a little then easily removed the lug nuts. They had neversieze on them. I rotated the tires then reinstalled the nuts. Both guns easily over torqued the nuts. I would say the IR is quieter.Both seem to have equal strength. Cant say which will last longer but my IR 231 is 20+ and still going strong. IR212 was 125 shipped from tooltopia less than 1 year ago. Earth Quake 85-25%= 69 out the door with Illinois tax. A very good gun for the money.
Ron

Thanks for the info, exactly why I am contemplating it, I too have the 212 and love it, the Earthquake feels very similar, and I can get two of them for less than a IR212.

TheGrooveking

mrbreezeet1
04-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Ron

Well that sounds good, I just ordered one today.
$78.75 shipped and sales tax.
Used the -25% coupon.
Thanks,
Tony

May Pop
04-26-2011, 07:47 PM
You will not be disappointed. It is a good size for under hood work.And that 25% off was the kicker . I have a front and rear garage so tools in both are mandatory.
Ron

JASTECH
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
I went with the Cats instead but would like to buy USA 1/2" impact (800#) and 3/8" ratchet (90#) this summer. I had read the ArticCat was USA then when it arrived, Not!

Thanks, JASTECH

route246
04-26-2011, 08:48 PM
IR212 is now 140.99 on tooltopia. I think you got a good deal if you paid 125.

It's 128 on Amazon. Why is the IR231C 213 on Amazon? Is it a cheaper line?

Ron

hoffmand
04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
This is for an application at work were every couple day basis there is a setup that requires about 100 hundred 1/2" bolts to be removed and then reinstalled/tightened...

Out if curiosity, what is the application with all these bolts?

TheGrooveking
06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Well I picked up one of the 3/8" Earthquake impact wrenches and I am pretty impressed with the look and feel of it, but I still need to throw a fitting on it and test it. I used the 20% off coupon so in total it was $67 and some change. To me it identical, short of the air inlet/handle end and the textured finish/rubber boot. I did take the boot off and the unit is identical to the IR212, except where the IR's had IR cast into it, the Earthquake has a circle about 3/4" in diameter about 1/16" deep. Which in knowing the modularity of die cast dies, this is a standard insert format, which would allow the die caster to put a IR insert into it. All and all this thing is identical to IR I know I'm stepping out on the ledge here, but I would not hesitate to think this thing is either made in the same factory as the IR stuff or it is made in the same factory IR has their stuff made for them at.

TheGrooveking

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/TallgrassWaterCooler006.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/TallgrassWaterCooler005.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/TallgrassWaterCooler004.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/TallgrassWaterCooler007.jpg

diggerrick
06-07-2011, 02:09 PM
If you also are interested in the 1/2" version, there is a current coupon (#27662436) for $69.99.

Marlin
06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Well I picked up one of the 3/8" Earthquake impact wrenches and I am pretty impressed with the look and feel of it, but I still need to throw a fitting on it and test it. I used the 20% off coupon so in total it was $67 and some change. To me it identical, short of the air inlet/handle end and the textured finish/rubber boot. I did take the boot off and the unit is identical to the IR212, except where the IR's had IR cast into it, the Earthquake has a circle about 3/4" in diameter about 1/16" deep. Which in knowing the modularity of die cast dies, this is a standard insert format, which would allow the die caster to put a IR insert into it. All and all this thing is identical to IR I know I'm stepping out on the ledge here, but I would not hesitate to think this thing is either made in the same factory as the IR stuff or it is made in the same factory IR has their stuff made for them at.

TheGrooveking

There is no relation between the two products. The 212 is made in and Ingersoll Rand factory which does not make any product for Harbor Freight.

TheGrooveking
06-07-2011, 05:47 PM
There is no relation between the two products. The 212 is made in and Ingersoll Rand factory which does not make any product for Harbor Freight.

Thanks for the info, so the HF is a replica, may I ask I you know this?

TheGrooveking

Marlin
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info, so the HF is a replica, may I ask I you know this?

TheGrooveking

I work for IR

vssykes
06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
i got two years hard use out of mine before it died great buy

diesel research
06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
There are several visual differences that show they are not the same. The trigger, the handle base, and the upper handle are all clearly different.

JohnFreeman
06-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I work for IR

Great answer!

:thumbup:

TheGrooveking
06-07-2011, 11:01 PM
There are several visual differences that show they are not the same. The trigger, the handle base, and the upper handle are all clearly different.

All minor casting differences.

TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking
06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
I work for IR

Acceptable answer, so why did IR move their manufacturing of the 231 to China? It might be pyscho-sysmatic but when I pick up my made in USA IR tools they just seem more solid that the Chinese made units. Also when IR released the IR231USA, did they start up the production line just for that limited run?

TheGrooveking

pipsters
06-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Out of curiosity is this a completely Made in USA impact or assembled or import?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqZ,%21hYE2fDU5H2HBN1%28Qjwp2w%7E%7E0_1.GIF

I'm pretty sure the Harbor Freight line is a copy of the Thundergun series from IR though, isn't it? At least the specs are, as far as torque is concerned.

Patrick Boyle
06-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Supposedly it's assembled in Athens, PA. That's probably where they slap on the information label on the back.

diesel research
06-08-2011, 08:44 AM
All minor casting differences.

TheGrooveking

While that may be so, if they were indeed made in the same plant, ask yourself why they would waste time on separate castings. (I do know that does happen, but it is still a question to be asked)

What you have is a design based on another design. Of course, neither is anything revolutionary, and the general apearance has been around for decades.

I owned a earthquake as well. Decent gun, often performed better than classic 231, but can recognize the differences. (I know, not same as the 3/8 line)

The internals may be based on the thundergun for 1/2" series, but one immediate huge difference. The exhaust. Completely different.

TheGrooveking
06-08-2011, 09:18 AM
While that may be so, if they were indeed made in the same plant, ask yourself why they would waste time on separate castings. (I do know that does happen, but it is still a question to be asked)

I worked for a major tooling company for many years producing stamping dies, die cast molds and plastic injection molds. Some customers would require us to make tools so that they could run multiple part number out of the same tool with minor changes that could be made in the press.

For instance, the Maytag Neptune series, we had seven tools that ran in a transfer press which had modular die inserts that allowed them to make 27 different part numbers of control face plates. Many customers who made brand name items, also had minor changes that produced private label products. We had tools for Thompson Consumer electronics, Zenith Electronics, Philips Electronis, between those three they would produce over 20 private label companies using their tools and facilities.

TheGrooveking

Marlin
06-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Supposedly it's assembled in Athens, PA. That's probably where they slap on the information label on the back.

That is actually not legal. Several components and the final product assembly was done in Athens or in N.C.

Marlin
06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Acceptable answer, so why did IR move their manufacturing of the 231 to China? It might be pyscho-sysmatic but when I pick up my made in USA IR tools they just seem more solid that the Chinese made units. Also when IR released the IR231USA, did they start up the production line just for that limited run?

TheGrooveking

The design and materials did not change and some components are still produced in the US.

Patrick Boyle
06-08-2011, 10:01 AM
That is actually not legal. Several components and the final product assembly was done in Athens or in N.C.

School me. What are the laws regarding "Assembled in USA?"

Marlin
06-08-2011, 12:53 PM
School me. What are the laws regarding "Assembled in USA?"
From the FTC website

Assembled in USA ClaimsA product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the product’s last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. That’s why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesn’t usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim.

Example: A lawn mower, composed of all domestic parts except for the cable sheathing, flywheel, wheel rims and air filter (15 to 20 percent foreign content) is assembled in the U.S. An "Assembled in USA" claim is appropriate.

Example: All the major components of a computer, including the motherboard and hard drive, are imported. The computer’s components then are put together in a simple "screwdriver" operation in the U.S., are not substantially transformed under the Customs Standard, and must be marked with a foreign country of origin. An "Assembled in U.S." claim without further qualification is deceptive.

GoBlue
06-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I work for IR

In that case keep up the good work! Your air tools are second to none!

Marlin
06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
In that case keep up the good work! Your air tools are second to none!

Thanks, that is always good to hear.

TheGrooveking
06-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Well maybe another possible source for whom manufactures the Earthquake line for HF. While messing aroudn with my 3/8" Earthquake at work, another tech pulled out his Chicago Pneumatic 734H and low& behold, the air inlets are the same part. Hmmmmm,makes one wonder or are these generic and many manufactures use them?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/Photo-0283.jpg

TheGrooveking

route246
06-13-2011, 02:34 PM
My guess is the part is generic and cheaper to buy than to reverse-engineer.

Well maybe another possible source for whom manufactures the Earthquake line for HF. While messing aroudn with my 3/8" Earthquake at work, another tech pulled out his Chicago Pneumatic 734H and low& behold, the air inlets are the same part. Hmmmmm,makes one wonder or are these generic and many manufactures use them?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/Photo-0283.jpg

TheGrooveking

Marlin
06-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Pretty sure none of the bigger name air tool companies are making air tools for HF. I'm sure they have buyers that shop around China for their different product catagories and they choose manufactures that hit their cost and performance requirements.

Danglerb
06-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Could be a variety of parts suppliers, and a variety of parts assemblers. Its not like they are changing the design, which is likely a copy of the IR 231 with minor differences.

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
There are several companies that OEM air tools for other big tool companies. In fact Cornwell has a 1/4 air ratchet that is Identical too the Earthquake 1/4 air ratchet. The only difference is the Earthquake is red and the Cornwell is blue. Also there is a big difference in price.

HF has either lost or choosed to not continue to use the same OEM that makes the Eartquake Line of tools and is selling off the remainder of there stock. They will no longer cary the Earthquake line of tools anymore....

kartracer55
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Sound's like its time to open these guns up!

pipsters
07-08-2011, 03:01 PM
There are several companies that OEM air tools for other big tool companies. In fact Cornwell has a 1/4 air ratchet that is Identical too the Earthquake 1/4 air ratchet. The only difference is the Earthquake is red and the Cornwell is blue. Also there is a big difference in price.

HF has either lost or choosed to not continue to use the same OEM that makes the Eartquake Line of tools and is selling off the remainder of there stock. They will no longer cary the Earthquake line of tools anymore....

Wow you are right, no search results on harborfreight.com. Interesting. Well that sucks, maybe I'll go buy another 1/2" to have, they are awesome guns the DIYer.

zoomzoomjeff
07-08-2011, 03:22 PM
One wonders if a lawsuit or cease & desist letter stopped production.

Either way, I have the 1/2" Earthquake and really surprised me with the torque it puts out.

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
I was going to post some photos of the two ratchets side by side but noticed that this forum cannot upload from my computer like the system we use on my SidexSide Forum. It requires a URL and I think that requires me to send them to Photobucket first to have a URL.

If that is the case or anyone has a fix for it let me know....

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
One wonders if a lawsuit or cease & desist letter stopped production.

Either way, I have the 1/2" Earthquake and really surprised me with the torque it puts out.

I think the other big companies that use the same OEM may have pressured them to stop selling to HF. If you look at lets say Florida pneumatic. They have some tools that look the same as the Earthquake models. The same with cornwell as well...

zsuperbee
07-08-2011, 04:18 PM
My search came back fine @ 4:17pm today

Search results for 'Earthquake'
SORT BY: Best Match Brand Name A-Z Best Sellers Price Low-High Price High-Low Show 9 items per page 18 items per page 27 items per page
Page: 1Items 1-8 of 8 Results Found

11 Piece 1/2" Super High Torque Lug Nut Impact Socket Set
Item #94421

4.0(1)

Read 1 ReviewWrite a ReviewOnly:$49.99

Sale:$39.99

Add to Wishlist

1/4" Professional Air Ratchet Wrench
Item #65159

4.7(7)

Read 7 ReviewsWrite a ReviewOnly:$59.99

Add to Wishlist

3/8" Professional Air Ratchet Wrench
Item #65161

5.0(5)

Read 5 ReviewsWrite a ReviewOnly:$79.99

Add to Wishlist
3/8" Earthquake Impact Wrench
Item #92453

4.8(9)

Read 9 ReviewsWrite a ReviewOnly:$89.99

Add to Wishlist

1/2" Impact Wrench
Item #2623

4.8(64)

Read 64 ReviewsWrite a ReviewOnly:$99.99

Add to Wishlist

1" Impact Wrench
Item #92421

4.8(5)

Read 5 ReviewsWrite a ReviewOnly:$299.99

Add to Wishlist
3/4" Impact Wrench
Item #92353

5.0(7)

Read 7 ReviewsWrite a ReviewOnly:$279.99

Add to Wishlist

1/2" Professional Air Ratchet Wrench
Item #65160

5.0(1)

Read 1 ReviewWrite a ReviewOnly:$89.99

Add to Wishlist

pipsters
07-08-2011, 04:36 PM

SORT BY: Best Match Brand Name A-Z Best Sellers Price Low-High Price High-Low Show 9 items per page 18 items per page 27 items per page

Item #94421

4.0(1)

Add to Wishlist

Item #65159

4.7(7)

Add to Wishlist

Item #65161

5.0(5)

Add to Wishlist
Item #92453

4.8(9)

Add to Wishlist

1/2" Impact Wrench
Item #2623

4.8(64)

Add to Wishlist

1" Impact Wrench
Item #92421

4.8(5)

Add to Wishlist
3/4" Impact Wrench
Item #92353

5.0(7)

Add to Wishlist

Item #65160

5.0(1)

Add to Wishlist

Now it's working. That's weird. But read the listings - some in store only like the impacts. They are getting rid of them.

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Item #94421

4.0(1)

Add to Wishlist

Item #65159

4.7(7)

Add to Wishlist

Item #65161

5.0(5)

Add to Wishlist
Item #92453

4.8(9)

Add to Wishlist

1/2" Impact Wrench
Item #2623

4.8(64)

Add to Wishlist

1" Impact Wrench
Item #92421

4.8(5)

Add to Wishlist
3/4" Impact Wrench
Item #92353

5.0(7)

Add to Wishlist

Item #65160

5.0(1)

Add to Wishlist

OK, if you go to the HF web page and type in the tool in the search box, it will come with a product page. It will state store only availability on that page, all the remainder of the stock has been sent to the stores and most have already ran out of stock. I also talked to the store manager and he confirmed that the product line has been discontinued. He said all the remainder of the earthquake line is on the shelf an that was all of it. Non in the warehouses...

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Now it's working. That's weird. But read the listings - some in store only like the impacts. They are getting rid of them.

Correct....

Danglerb
07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
So whats the replacement?

Any concern remaining stock could be "junk"?

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Ok, Here are the pictures of the Eartquake 1/4 air ratchet and the Cornwell 1/4 and 3/8 air ratchet.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1246&pictureid=10354
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1246&pictureid=10356
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1246&pictureid=10355

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 05:01 PM
So whats the replacement?

Any concern remaining stock could be "junk"?

So far it is there older pro line....

mrbreezeet1
07-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Well that sucks in a way.
Oh well, Got the 1/2" for home, and the 3/8" one at work.
Hope they hold up.
The 3/8" is a peppy little impact.
I call it "The Baby Zip Gun"
I might try the 3/8" kobalt impact gun for home use.
Thanks,
Tony

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Well that sucks in a way.
Oh well, Got the 1/2" for home, and the 3/8" one at work.
Hope they hold up.
The 3/8" is a peppy little impact.
I call it "The Baby Zip Gun"
I might try the 3/8" kobalt impact gun for home use.
Thanks,
Tony

I have the all the earthquake tools except the 3/8 impact, the 3/4 impact, and the 1 in impact. I picked up the 3/8 ratchet and the 1/2 ratchet on Ebay for a good price because they were not in the stores anymore. I have had the 1/4 ratchet for a year now which prompted me to jump on the Ebay deals do to how much I liked the 1/4 inch model.

I am very happy with the Kobalt 3/8 impact and would have liked to have compared the power of it to the 3/8 Earthquake to see how they stacked up to each other since they claim the same torque ratings.

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
A funny thing I just noticed on the HF web site:headscrat. They just now today re-posted the 3/8 Earthquake Air ratchet on there site?. I am not sure it is a mistake because this was the tool that I was told by the manager that was discontinued along with all the other earthquake items.

Maybe they worked out a deal with the company they get them from or it is still extra stock. I would like to see if in the next few days or weeks if any of the other items show up on there site again. I would like to get the 3/8 impact if this happens:)....

Anyways, If anyone was or is interested in one of these I would jump on it before they disappear again......

mrbreezeet1
07-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I see someone is selling the Kobalt 3/8" on e bay for $69.99.
and another for $89.00.Isn't this the same one Lowes has for $50.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-Air-Tool-Air-Impact-Wrench-New-Kobalt-Impact-/360378159222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8365076

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kobalt-3-8-Impact-Wrench-232169-/370487882119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642cc7187

RangerDaleXp
07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I see someone is selling the Kobalt 3/8" on e bay for $69.99.
and another for $89.00.Isn't this the same one Lowes has for $50.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-Air-Tool-Air-Impact-Wrench-New-Kobalt-Impact-/360378159222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8365076

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kobalt-3-8-Impact-Wrench-232169-/370487882119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642cc7187

No, those are not the current models, they must be old stock.....

mrbreezeet1
07-09-2011, 09:00 AM
No, those are not the current models, they must be old stock.....

OH, I see, I wonder why they are selling higher than the new ones. Don't know if the older ones were better?
Guess they try that a lot on e bay.
Well if I get one I'll see how it compares to the Harbor Freight, "Baby Zip Gun"

GSteg
07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I really like the older kobalt impact guns. Haven't tried the newer ones yet but I expect them to be similar minus the cosmetics.

Still, the ones sold on eBay are overpriced since they cost almost double the MSRP. If you do find one of the older composite guns cheap, I would snatch it up right away. I bought one as my backup/loaner tool a few years ago but I ended up using it as my primary gun. I used it so much that I basically sold a crap load of my IR guns because I didn't need them anymore. Power-wise, it's maybe about the same, if not a tad bit less than the IR 2135ti. Definitely more powerful, WAY quieter, lighter, and more balanced than my former IR 231C.

mrbreezeet1
07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I really like the older kobalt impact guns. Haven't tried the newer ones yet but I expect them to be similar minus the cosmetics.

Still, the ones sold on eBay are overpriced since they cost almost double the MSRP. If you do find one of the older composite guns cheap, I would snatch it up right away. I bought one as my backup/loaner tool a few years ago but I ended up using it as my primary gun. I used it so much that I basically sold a crap load of my IR guns because I didn't need them anymore. Power-wise, it's maybe about the same, if not a tad bit less than the IR 2135ti. Definitely more powerful, WAY quieter, lighter, and more balanced than my former IR 231C.

Are you talking about any composite gun , or did Kobalt make a composite gun?
IR 2135ti, and IR 231C, those are 1/2" guns.
I have the IR 2135ti at work, it's a powerful SOB.

I just made an offer on a Snap On MG 31 (3/8" drive)
Thanks,
Tony

RangerDaleXp
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
OH, I see, I wonder why they are selling higher than the new ones. Don't know if the older ones were better?
Guess they try that a lot on e bay.
Well if I get one I'll see how it compares to the Harbor Freight, "Baby Zip Gun"

If you do get the new one, I would be interested in how it stacks up to the HF model. Since I have the kobalt one now, it could save me some money if they preform the same and it would be no need to get the HF model then....

oldtools
07-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe this Taiwanese make them.

http://www.futentools.com/product.php?cid=20&id=754

http://www.futentools.com/product.php?cid=20&id=738

mrbreezeet1
07-09-2011, 03:37 PM
If you do get the new one, I would be interested in how it stacks up to the HF model. Since I have the kobalt one now, it could save me some money if they preform the same and it would be no need to get the HF model then....

OK I'll let you know

mrbreezeet1
07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Maybe this Taiwanese make them.

http://www.futentools.com/product.php?cid=20&id=754

http://www.futentools.com/product.php?cid=20&id=738

Boy, does the 2nd link look like the IR composite gun!

mrbreezeet1
07-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I am going to order the Kobalt air gun.
Do any of you know if the 1 year extended replacement plan is worth getting? It is $5.00 more.

Oh is there any promo discount codes?

RangerDaleXp
07-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I am going to order the Kobalt air gun.
Do any of you know if the 1 year extended replacement plan is worth getting? It is $5.00 more.

Oh is there any promo discount codes?

The gun comes with a 3 year hassle free warranty so I would not spend the extra 5 dollars. As for the gun make sure you oil the hell out of it before use. there is a Allen in the front to shoot oil in for the gear case.

Will be looking for your side by side comparison as well....

GSteg
07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Are you talking about any composite gun , or did Kobalt make a composite gun?
IR 2135ti, and IR 231C, those are 1/2" guns.
I have the IR 2135ti at work, it's a powerful SOB.

I just made an offer on a Snap On MG 31 (3/8" drive)
Thanks,
Tony

I only have experience with one of the composite gun. The gun I have is the 1/2"version. Not sure if they made an equivalent 3/8"

pipsters
07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I owned the Kobalt 350-ft-lb gun, it was good for what it was (a cheap $25-$30 gun in the kit) but the HF Earthquake 1/2" beats the crap out of it. After using my Earthquake I did have an issue with it, the forward power didn't do much in fact turning it up made it slightly less powerful. I was within 90 days so I returned it (recently), thinking I'd get back there to get another one. Maybe my chance has past, unfortunately, it was an awesome gun for a DIYer.

mrbreezeet1
07-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I only have experience with one of the composite gun. The gun I have is the 1/2"version. Not sure if they made an equivalent 3/8"

If your talking IR they make one, well 2 really, one is the quiet version.
Regular version
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BQK7B4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000PU6BVM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FQD1QEG4CT9SAAW7AX1

Quiet Tool
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-2115QTiMAX-8-inch-Impactool-Quiet/dp/B001BQLZYC/ref=pd_cp_hi_4

GSteg
07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
No, I was talking about Kobalt's composite guns. I bought a 1/2" Kobalt impact gun that replaced my lineup of IR guns. I had multiple versions of the 2135 and 2115. I no longer own any IR since the Kobalt could do practically whatever the IR did and that includes axle nuts, some crank pulley bolts, and rusted suspension bolts.

mrbreezeet1
07-09-2011, 08:44 PM
No, I was talking about Kobalt's composite guns. I bought a 1/2" Kobalt impact gun that replaced my lineup of IR guns. I had multiple versions of the 2135 and 2115. I no longer own any IR since the Kobalt could do practically whatever the IR did and that includes axle nuts, some crank pulley bolts, and rusted suspension bolts.

OH OK, Sounds like a nice gun.

Sorry, I'm getting a little lost here. So Kobalt no longer makes the composite guns?

Or do they still make it in the 1/2" drive.

Re Reading your post, sounds like they do not.

I can't really justify buying another 1/2" gun though...........LOL

On a side note

The Earthquake 1/2" gun seems to work OK and all,
Took the Axle nut right off the Alero.
But you know how you just hit an impact free wheeling it for a second, and the often have that "Ballsy" "Torquey" sound to them.
The 1/2" Earthquake does not seem to.
Now the 3/8" Earthquake did seem to have this sound.

I'll have to take the 1/2" one to work and see if it will take off
one of the Dump truck wheels.
I know My Ingersoll-Rand 2135TI would, at least when it was new.
Not right off, had to hammer on it a white,but still would break it loose.
Really want to use a 3/4" gun on those.

mrbreezeet1
07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't know,
Now I am sort of looking at the Klutch
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200464363_200464363

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105552&highlight=Klutch

Says 320 Max torque

RangerDaleXp
07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Remember one thing, 3/8 sockets can only take so much torque before they come apart and I personal think anything over 150 ft lbs is starting to pushing it for 3/8. If the clutch has a real 320 ft lbs which I do not believe, then I think you will be buying a lot of replacement sockets and or exchanging them. I think anything below 200 ft lbs is good for a 3/8 air impact. If you need more then you should use the half inch impact with 1/2 inch sockets........

320 ft lbs is going to hammer the hell out of a 3/8 shank:dunno:

RangerDaleXp
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
For the hell of it I decided to torque a bolt to 150 Ft lbs and see if the 3/8 Kobalt Impact would remove it. They claim that it has up to 200 ft lbs of torque but I never believed it. Well it would not remove the bolt torqued to 150 and I would say it is more a 100 ft lbs gun.

I would like to know if the 3/8 earthquake would break lose a bolt at 150 just for a comparison?....

GeorgiaHybrid
07-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Remember one thing, 3/8 sockets can only take so much torque before they come apart and I personal think anything over 150 ft lbs is starting to pushing it for 3/8. If the clutch has a real 320 ft lbs which I do not believe, then I think you will be buying a lot of replacement sockets and or exchanging them. I think anything below 200 ft lbs is good for a 3/8 air impact. If you need more then you should use the half inch impact with 1/2 inch sockets........

320 ft lbs is going to hammer the hell out of a 3/8 shank:dunno:

With over 300 ft-lbs of torque behind them, my sockets are doing just fine without any problems....If yours are coming apart at 150 ft-lbs, you might consider buying better sockets.

mrbreezeet1
07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
For the hell of it I decided to torque a bolt to 150 Ft lbs and see if the 3/8 Kobalt Impact would remove it. They claim that it has up to 200 ft lbs of torque but I never believed it. Well it would not remove the bolt torqued to 150 and I would say it is more a 100 ft lbs gun.

I would like to know if the 3/8 earthquake would break lose a bolt at 150 just for a comparison?....

I'm thinking it won't.
I tried to take a lug nut off with mine a few times, and it wouldn't take it off.
I don't know what the lug nuts were torqued to though.
We usually use a 100 Ft Lb torque stick, but sometimes guys will just do it with the Impact by feel.

But for mounting struts to the strut towers, caliper bolts , dropping transmission pans and the like it's fine.

RangerDaleXp
07-12-2011, 12:06 AM
With over 300 ft-lbs of torque behind them, my sockets are doing just fine without any problems....If yours are coming apart at 150 ft-lbs, you might consider buying better sockets.

We are talking about 3/8 and not 1/2 inch. I think pounding 3/8 sockets on a regular bases above 150 is to much regardless who makes them. It would be like using a 3/4 drive at 1000 ft lbs on half inch socket all the time. I also never said they were coming apart at 150, It is a maximum safe number that I use in my head before I go with the bigger tool.....

RangerDaleXp
07-12-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm thinking it won't.
I tried to take a lug nut off with mine a few times, and it wouldn't take it off.
I don't know what the lug nuts were torqued to though.
We usually use a 100 Ft Lb torque stick, but sometimes guys will just do it with the Impact by feel.

But for mounting struts to the strut towers, caliper bolts , dropping transmission pans and the like it's fine.

I may try the Kobalt again at a 100 ft lbs of torque to get an idea on if it would do that tomorrow? I am also watching the HF web site to see if any of the 3/8 EQ impacts show up again as well.

Danglerb
07-12-2011, 01:43 AM
None in the HF I was at today, just 1/2, 3/4, and 1". None of the EQ ratchets either.

GeorgiaHybrid
07-12-2011, 07:24 AM
We are talking about 3/8 and not 1/2 inch. I think pounding 3/8 sockets on a regular bases above 150 is to much regardless who makes them. It would be like using a 3/4 drive at 1000 ft lbs on half inch socket all the time. I also never said they were coming apart at 150, It is a maximum safe number that I use in my head before I go with the bigger tool.....

I AM talking about 3/8" drive. A Snap-on MG325 puts out a little over 300 ft-lbs and unless I am working on equipment, that little gun will do everything I need done on a car short of something like a Honda crank bolt. My sockets are still doiing fine but when they wear out (and any impact socket will), they will get replaced. I don't worry about breaking them.

bimmerZ5
07-12-2011, 08:45 AM
oh crap! i didn't realize the earthquake impact guns were being discontinued... no wonder i noticed they weren't on the shelf at my local HFT a couple of weeks ago. i was hoping to eventually pick up the 1/2" at some point...

RangerDaleXp
07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
oh crap! i didn't realize the earthquake impact guns were being discontinued... no wonder i noticed they weren't on the shelf at my local HFT a couple of weeks ago. i was hoping to eventually pick up the 1/2" at some point...

I am not fully sure at this point due to the fact that some of there stuff has been reappearing back on there web site. Today the 3/4 inch popped back again. I am waiting to see if the 1/2 and the 3/8 show up as well. I need the 3/8 but love my 1/2 gun that I do have.

Per my conversation with there manager at the time, he said they were discontinuing the line but due to the fact they are showing up again may be temporary or they may have made a new deal with the OEM supplier to continue to sell again.

Only time will tell.....

RangerDaleXp
07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
I AM talking about 3/8" drive. A Snap-on MG325 puts out a little over 300 ft-lbs and unless I am working on equipment, that little gun will do everything I need done on a car short of something like a Honda crank bolt. My sockets are still doiing fine but when they wear out (and any impact socket will), they will get replaced. I don't worry about breaking them.

Point taken:)....

bimmerZ5
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I am not fully sure at this point due to the fact that some of there stuff has been reappearing back on there web site. Today the 3/4 inch popped back again. I am waiting to see if the 1/2 and the 3/8 show up as well. I need the 3/8 but love my 1/2 gun that I do have.

Per my conversation with there manager at the time, he said they were discontinuing the line but due to the fact they are showing up again may be temporary or they may have made a new deal with the OEM supplier to continue to sell again.

Only time will tell.....

i got confirmation from a HFT employee who checked their inventory system and he said all the Earthquake air tools are marked with a "discontinued" code. what stock is left in-store is the last of it. no word if they are being replaced by another product line or not...

RangerDaleXp
07-13-2011, 04:11 PM
i got confirmation from a HFT employee who checked their inventory system and he said all the Earthquake air tools are marked with a "discontinued" code. what stock is left in-store is the last of it. no word if they are being replaced by another product line or not...

I was told the same thing by the manager 5 or 6 weeks ago and all the tool 2 weeks ago were gone off the web site. but as of a few days ago they are reappearing on there website again as in stock so I am not sure If they are bringing them back. They still do not show the 3/8 or 1/2 inch impacts but the 3/4 showed up a few days ago, so who knows what the deal is.....

MNRZR
07-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I see all of the "Earthquake" line when I search the site. The 3/8", 1/2", and 1" impacts and the 1/2" air ratchet show "In Store Only" though.

Earthquake (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=earthquake)

fflintstone
07-13-2011, 04:54 PM
After loosing most of my tools in the fire, I recently replaced some. I only had one 3/8 air ratchet. I bought all 3 sizes of earthquake air ratchets, they all said made in Taiwan (not china) I tested them all but haven’t put them to use. I think they are good air tools for the money.
I have a ˝” IR thunder gun I bought at harbor freight way back when. I was going to buy a 3/8 earthquake, but I found a new unused IR207 for $65.

MNRZR
07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
I just saw this picture from an article that was in DirtWheels that someone had posted on here. Looks like a new design of impact from HF (at least I don't recognize it). I swear it says Earthquake on the paper in the background:

http://image.dirtrider.com/f/37506984+w750+st0/141-1106-z+harbor-freight-testing-lab-tour+tool-testing-13.jpg

RangerDaleXp
07-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I see all of the "Earthquake" line when I search the site. The 3/8", 1/2", and 1" impacts and the 1/2" air ratchet show "In Store Only" though.

Earthquake (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=earthquake)

The 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets are back and do not show that, The 3/4 impact shows back order only.

RangerDaleXp
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I just saw this picture from an article that was in DirtWheels that someone had posted on here. Looks like a new design of impact from HF (at least I don't recognize it). I swear it says Earthquake on the paper in the background:

http://image.dirtrider.com/f/37506984+w750+st0/141-1106-z+harbor-freight-testing-lab-tour+tool-testing-13.jpg

Interesting? I recognize the thunder gun but the other is different, It is not the normal Earthquake 1/2 impact....

Could they be testing a new OEM company that may be replacing the older version?

RangerDaleXp
07-13-2011, 07:29 PM
The 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets are back and do not show that, The 3/4 impact shows back order only.

Correction, the 3/4 impact now shows in stock now and the 1/4 air ratchet is now on sale if anyone is interested:).

pipsters
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Interesting? I recognize the thunder gun but the other is different, It is not the normal Earthquake 1/2 impact....

Could they be testing a new OEM company that may be replacing the older version?

Looks like an older Nitrocat selector, they discontinued the 1000m model so I wonder if HF bought the product tooling/line.

Makes sense why they discontinued the older Earthquakes, they are being replaced...if history serves as an example with a better model.

Also that pretty much goes to show that the older HF Earthquake was a copy for the Thundergun, in fact I read somewhere that people are refurbishing their Thunderguns with the Earthquake bearings.

bimmerZ5
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
the thought just came to me, but is a 3/8" impact really useful? why not just get the 1/2" with a 3/8" adapter; more torque & wider application in one tool.

RangerDaleXp
07-14-2011, 12:27 AM
the thought just came to me, but is a 3/8" impact really useful? why not just get the 1/2" with a 3/8" adapter; more torque & wider application in one tool.

The 3/8 guns are lighter and fit into smaller spaces. You add the adapter to the half inch then it becomes even a little longer. I like the 3/8 gun for tearing an engine down or removing a transmission. Good for small to medium stuff under 150 ft lbs normal.

kc-steve
07-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Why not get a 3/8" gun and a 1/2" adapter then? :)

Anyone ever try to order parts for the EarthQuake guns? Just curious.

Steve

bimmerZ5
07-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Why not get a 3/8" gun and a 1/2" adapter then? :)

Anyone ever try to order parts for the EarthQuake guns? Just curious.

Steve

i assume the 1st question is a joke ;-)

according to one of the reviews on HFT's website for this tool, someone claimed it took weeks to get parts to do repairs. at the prices these are going for, may be worth getting a spare for parts.

4x4gearhead
07-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the info, exactly why I am contemplating it, I too have the 212 and love it, the Earthquake feels very similar, and I can get two of them for less than a IR212.

TheGrooveking

But will the earthquake last like the 212? (forever)

RangerDaleXp
07-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Any good air tool will last forever if taken care off. Even IR have a life expectancy. Just because it says HF does not mean they are a bad tool. There is a OEM that supplies to them and makes the same tool for many other manufactures. For instance this below....

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=10354&albumid=1246&dl=1310156602&thumb

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1246&pictureid=10356

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1246&pictureid=10355

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1246&pictureid=10466

TheGrooveking
07-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Don't know, I'll let you know if it ever fails on me, but if I die first you won't know....

TheGrooveking

pipsters
07-14-2011, 01:57 PM
i assume the 1st question is a joke ;-)

according to one of the reviews on HFT's website for this tool, someone claimed it took weeks to get parts to do repairs. at the prices these are going for, may be worth getting a spare for parts.

If it's the same review I am thinking of (please provide link) I think you are confused. The reviewer stated he was waiting on parts to fix his old impact (truck brand) gun, and it was taking weeks, so he bought an Earthquake instead.

RangerDaleXp
07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
If it's the same review I am thinking of (please provide link) I think you are confused. The reviewer stated he was waiting on parts to fix his old impact (truck brand) gun, and it was taking weeks, so he bought an Earthquake instead.

I was there yesterday and read all the Earthquake review because I was interested in the 3/8 impact. There was no review posted on any of the earthquake tool saying this, I think your correct that the review in question was posted on one of the other cheaper impacts like you said....

bimmerZ5
07-14-2011, 02:11 PM

i just re-read the review i saw, but it doesn't sound like i was confused, by "Frank" on 2/28/2011:

Great buy for money but didnt hold up. Had for two years of daily use and broke anvil taking lug nuts loose. replacement parts were hard to find then take 6-8 weeks to get. Not to mention cost half the price of impact. Would recomend to weekend hobbiest but not for profesional use.

I can't link specifically to a single review, but if you go here and click on reviews and scroll down, you'll see it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-impact-wrench-2623.html?hftref=cj

RangerDaleXp
07-14-2011, 02:28 PM
i just re-read the review i saw, but it doesn't sound like i was confused, by "Frank" on 2/28/2011:

I can't link specifically to a single review, but if you go here and click on reviews and scroll down, you'll see it:

I see it, I would have looked at another supplier if they took so long to get the parts......

pipsters
07-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Yep you are right, sorry, I did see one that said the opposite as well :).

09-JK
07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
But will the earthquake last like the 212? (forever)Of course, it looks the same so it must have the same materials, heat treats and machined tolerances.:)

07-16-2011, 03:54 PM
The 3/8 Earthquakes are on clearance - I just picked one up for $40 out the door with a 20% coupon. I had a hard time paying $90, even with a 20% coupon, but for this price it's worthwhile. I actually had already accumulated a few sets of 3/8 impact sockets in anticipation of someday getting a 3/8 impact, so now I'm GTG.

The 3/8 is significantly smaller & lighter than the 1/2, which I've had for a year or so.

07-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Of course, it looks the same so it must have the same materials, heat treats and machined tolerances.:)

Yeah, I doubt it does. But for a weekend warrior like me, I'm not too worried about it not being pro quality.

mrbreezeet1
07-16-2011, 04:31 PM
The 3/8 Earthquakes are on clearance - I just picked one up for $40 out the door with a 20% coupon. I had a hard time paying $90, even with a 20% coupon, but for this price it's worthwhile. I actually had already accumulated a few sets of 3/8 impact sockets in anticipation of someday getting a 3/8 impact, so now I'm GTG.

The 3/8 is significantly smaller & lighter than the 1/2, which I've had for a year or so.

$40.00 OUT the door is a good price.
Damm, I paid $78.14 for mine.................Had it shipped though. $78.14 including shipping. Order Date: April 24, 2011
Don't know if I used a coupon, think I did. I usually do.
Still deciding to bite the bullet and get A Snap on or a IR 2115 TI
Or to try the Klutch at Northern tools,or try the Kobalt at Lowes.

RangerDaleXp
07-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I was there yesterday and seen the sale. Our HF does not keep the earthquake tools on the shelf because they are a hot item that walks out the door. They keep empty boxes on the shelf that say go to the check out and they will bring one out from the back.

For the last few months, I have walked up and grabbed the box to get the 3/8 impact, but every time I get through the checkout line, they tell me they are out of stock, and every time I tell them if you are out of stock why do you have the box on the shelf just to make people stand in line and find out at the end they do not have any anyways. They keep apologized for it but they still put the box back on the shelf:headscrat.

Yesterday it happened again when I seen they were on the sale. I blew up this time and had a very heated conversation with the manager about it. So he said they still had some in the main warehouse and placed a special order for one and said it would be there next Thursday when there shipment comes in. I guess we will see what happens this time around.....

mrbreezeet1
07-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah, That would make me mad too.
I just ordered the Air Cat 1300TH, $131.99 at tooltopia.
Seems to have pretty good reviews,

http://www.tooltopia.com/aircat-1300th.aspx

RangerDaleXp
07-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Yeah, That would make me mad too.
I just ordered the Air Cat 1300TH, $131.99 at tooltopia.
Seems to have pretty good reviews,

http://www.tooltopia.com/aircat-1300th.aspx

I would like to complete the set minus the 3/4. I have the IR version for 3/4 so no need for the Earthquake version since I don't normally use it that size much.

I asked what will replace the Earthquake line and I was told the same thing roughly but all in black instead. We will have to wait and see.....

If I cant get the earthquake 3/8 I may need to look at the Air Cat or the Klutch version instead......

Pro-Painter
07-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I would like to complete the set minus the 3/4. I have the IR version for 3/4 so no need for the Earthquake version since I don't normally use it that size much.

I asked what will replace the Earthquake line and I was told the same thing roughly but all in black instead. We will have to wait and see.....

If I cant get the earthquake 3/8 I may need to look at the Air Cat or the Klutch version instead......

The Klutch impacts are nice, They have a warranty that is hard to beat. They offer 24mo parts/12mo replacement and Northern tool offers an extended two year "Accidental Damage Replacement Plan" for $19.99.

So for $90 you get a composite body, 70-320ft lb, 3/8" impact, with a 1 year OEM bumper to bumper warranty, A two year no questions asked warranty. And a OEM two year warranty on parts.

mrbreezeet1
07-17-2011, 12:40 PM
The Klutch impacts are nice, They have a warranty that is hard to beat. They offer 24mo parts/12mo replacement and Northern tool offers an extended two year "Accidental Damage Replacement Plan" for $19.99.

So for $90 you get a composite body, 70-320ft lb, 3/8" impact, with a 1 year OEM bumper to bumper warranty, A two year no questions asked warranty. And a OEM two year warranty on parts.

I almost ordered that Klutch too.
Hate to say, but I really didn't do my homework on the Air Cat.
What is there warranty. any Idea?

Looked around Lowes last night, looked at the Kobalt $50.00 3/8" impact they have , looks handsome in the picture, but I wasn't all that impressed with the look or the feel of it.
Hopefully I will like the Air Cat.

RangerDaleXp
07-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I almost ordered that Klutch too.
Hate to say, but I really didn't do my homework on the Air Cat.
What is there warranty. any Idea?

Looked around Lowes last night, looked at the Kobalt $50.00 3/8" impact they have , looks handsome in the picture, but I wasn't all that impressed with the look or the feel of it.
Hopefully I will like the Air Cat.

The kobalt works OK but I did not think it had anywhere near the 200lbs of torque. I also question all the advertised ratings claimed by these manufactures. A couple years ago I torqued a 1 inch bolt to 300 ft lbs and my IR rated at 450 would not break it lose. Everything set at 125psi and 25 feet of 3/8 air line.

I would love to see some real world test on these tools and what they actually really do...

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 02:57 AM
PSI is not as important as scfm when it comes to reaching advertised torque ratings. My guess is your compressor is on the small side...

Danglerb
07-24-2011, 04:37 AM
PSI is not as important as scfm when it comes to reaching advertised torque ratings. My guess is your compressor is on the small side...

SCFM is amount of airflow, PSI is what makes the air flow and is directly what creates the torque in the tool.

Besides air tools that are not continuous duty run off the tank and the compressor capacity means nothing except how long it takes to refill the tank.

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 08:59 AM
SCFM is air volume sustainable at a given psi. Think of it this way, imagine a stirring straw with 125psi flowing through it, and then think of a garden hose with 125psi flowing through it. Which do you think has more overall power (potential energy)

SCFM is the key for reaching a tools torque rating. My work air system is 125psi the the reg, and has large lines. My home air system also reachs 125psi, but is a craftsman 15 gallon. My impact is noticeably stronger off the work air system, even though the psi is the same.

Also, we have a few interchangeable hoses at work, and if I get stuck with the small cheapy we have floating around, the tool noticeably has less power.

The key here: SCFM "Standard Cubic Feet per Minute"

Also, when I was saying your "compressor" was on the small side, I was talking generically about the unit that pressurizes and stores air. Larger tanks and lines typically move more air than small tanks and lines regardless of psi in the tank.

RangerDaleXp
07-24-2011, 12:26 PM

60 gal tank at 16 cfm would not be considered on the small side of anything.
PSI is important.

In other words, more then enough to run the tools...

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 01:54 PM
60 gal tank at 16 cfm would not be considered on the small side of anything.
PSI is important.

In other words, more then enough to run the tools...

Never said it was unimportant, just less important than scfm (how much air is actually being moved at that pressure strikes me as far more important than what pressure it's being moved at)

Still don't understand why anyone would immediately assume that pressure is the only important factor. I guess it's similar to guys that assume that boost pressure is the only important factor on a turbo car...

What psi is that SCFM rating at? This is equally important, as are the hose diameter and length of hose after the compressor/air tank.

16scfm is pretty good for a 60 gallon rig (at 140psi)...

pipsters
07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Never said it was unimportant, just less important than scfm (how much air is actually being moved at that pressure strikes me as far more important than what pressure it's being moved at)

Still don't understand why anyone would immediately assume that pressure is the only important factor. I guess it's similar to guys that assume that boost pressure is the only important factor on a turbo car...

What psi is that SCFM rating at? This is equally important, as are the hose diameter and length of hose after the compressor/air tank.

16scfm is pretty good for a 60 gallon rig (at 140psi)...

Compressor pump output doesn't mean much with an impact. You run it on stored air. Also do you know what the "standard" is referring to?

tmoneyr007
07-24-2011, 03:43 PM
LOL, nitpicking a $39 3/8" impact with solid reviews....

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Compressor pump output doesn't mean much with an impact. You run it on stored air. Also do you know what the "standard" is referring to?

SCFM is not just for measuring compressor pump output... :wtf:

It's measuring air flow out of the tank, and is a direct result of air line size, valve sizes, bends and routing... etc.

pipsters
07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
SCFM is not just for measuring compressor pump output... :wtf:

It's measuring air flow out of the tank, and is a direct result of air line size, valve sizes, bends and routing... etc.

My point is you state a 60 gal 16 cfm compressor is fine, inferring the pump has anything to do with it. The tank is not rated on cfm, just the pump, and I ask again what does the "standard" in "scfm" mean?

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 06:20 PM
"Standard" refers to the method for testing, and the environment (IE altitude, temperature, humidity). The "standard" is actually not very standard at all... since noone agree's on one.

CFM or SCFM is more important at the outlet of the hose than anywhere else when talking about short bursts.

Also, I never stated anything at all about the motor, simply the tank size and scfm rating (assuming they're rating the tank outlet flow). Tools consume a certain volume of air. If your tank and it's valve/piping can't supply that volume, then it doesn't matter what psi is in it, or what psi is at the end of the hose...

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Think of it like a battery. The 12v Li-ion battery on a mini cordless drill and the 12v battery in your car can deliver very different amounts of power even though they show the same voltage on a multimeter. Voltage is similar to pressure... current is similar to scfm.

pipsters
07-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Standard is 15* C @ 29.92" Hg, standard barometric pressure and temp

mrbreezeet1
07-24-2011, 06:59 PM
By that same token, we have a screw type compressor at work, hence no tank.
I don't know what the PSI is, but when we use our big 1" Impact, it has to be hooked up to this big tank that we let fill up 1st. The gun just don't have the power unless you hook it up to the big tank.

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Standard is 15* C @ 29.92" Hg, standard barometric pressure and temp

:lol_hitti :thumbup:

"Standard cubic feet per minute (SCFM) is the volumetric flow rate of a gas corrected to "standardized" conditions of temperature and pressure. It is equivalent to the molar flow rate by the ideal gas law. Conversion of SCFM to mass flow requires knowledge of the mixture averaged gas molecular weight. Consider that one mole of gas (STP) occupies about 22.414 liters. Thus, a one mole/second flow of hydrogen corresponds to 1g/s whereas a one mole/second flow of Krypton, MW=83.8, results in 83.6 g/s.

However, great care must be taken, as the "standard" conditions vary between definitions and should therefore always be checked. Worldwide, the "standard" condition for pressure is variously defined as an absolute pressure of 101,325 pascals, 1.0 bar (i.e., 100,000 pascals), 14.73 psia, or 14.696 psia and the "standard" temperature is variously defined as 68 °F, 60 °F, 0 °C, 15 °C, 20 °C or 25 °C. The relative humidity (e.g., 36% or 0%) is also included in some definitions of standard conditions. There is, in fact, no universally accepted set of standard conditions."

...but thanks quiz show. Didn't take it as you were "testing" me. :headscrat

BTW, I know how to use google and wikipedia too... ;)

pipsters
07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
:lol_hitti :thumbup:

...but thanks quiz show. Didn't take it as you were "testing" me. :headscrat

BTW, I know how to use google and wikipedia too... ;)

Well I didn't have to use google or wikipedia, that is the difference :).

NASCAR uses something like a 2500 PSI tank with no pump to run their guns. Pump output means nothing on air compressors unless you are running a continuous use tool. That was my point, people quote the pump output of the compressor like it means anything. You could fill that 60 gallon compressor up with air and turn it off and it would run the same (for a while) whether the pump was on or off.

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 08:47 PM
LOL, neither did I.

NO ONE WAS REFERENCING PUMP OUTPUT.

Thanks though...

True that it would run the same until the pressure started to drop, however, my point is that one 60 gallon tank at 125psi does not necessarily flow the same as any other 60 gallon tank at 125psi.

PLEASE READ WHAT I SAID, I'm NOT referencing pump output scfm! Thanks.

Danglerb
07-24-2011, 09:21 PM
PSI at the tool is what counts, nothing else really matters as long as you have the rated PSI at the tool while its running.

Lots of poor hoses and couplers are out there, and that is where blame should go not on compressors or tanks. Some regulators don't manage higher flow rates well either, which could be the reason a local storage tank might be needed for a 1" impact.

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
So 125psi through a hose the size of a little drink stirring straw is the same as 125psi through a 3/8" hose?

Fluid dynamics disagree's with this. Air volume is just as important (if not more so) as pressure. This is my point, but I guess it's being overlooked.

Danglerb
07-24-2011, 09:54 PM
So 125psi through a hose the size of a little drink stirring straw is the same as 125psi through a 3/8" hose?

Fluid dynamics disagree's with this. Air volume is just as important (if not more so) as pressure. This is my point, but I guess it's being overlooked.

If the 125 psi is measured at the tool while its running, then how it gets there doesn't matter.

I suspect the issue between your home and shop may be the air regulator capacity and the volume of air in the pipes and hoses that act like a buffer tank. Nothing else should be much of a factor, not the compressor size, tank size, or even the size of the air lines in terms of flow rates (the size is adequate for the flow required by a 3/8 impact).

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 10:12 PM
If the 125 psi is measured at the tool while its running, then how it gets there doesn't matter.

I suspect the issue between your home and shop may be the air regulator capacity and the volume of air in the pipes and hoses that act like a buffer tank. Nothing else should be much of a factor, not the compressor size, tank size, or even the size of the air lines in terms of flow rates (the size is adequate for the flow required by a 3/8 impact).

I haven't been having any issues with my setup, other than the shop air being a bit stronger.

Your tool wouldn't have 125psi while running if your lines, valves and such aren't capable of keeping up with the flow the tool requires. Larger tanks typically have larger valves and hard lines on them.

If you want to test it out for yourself, go buy this HF air line http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-x-25-ft-self-coiling-air-hose-47.html

and test the torque of your impact, or the speed of your air ratchet.

Then replace the line, and nothing else with this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-25-ft-reinforced-rubber-air-hose-42184.html

I've already done this. (the 3/8" was actually a goodyear, but that shouldn't matter) Tool output was noticeably stronger with just this change.

An old schooler that installed another one of my shop's air system explained all this to me once. PSI does make a difference, but so does the volume the lines/valve/hose can flow (including the ones on the tank). He said that the cfm or volume of air that flows is actually more important, but that's obviously a matter of opinion, although I share his opinion after seeing it first hand.

He went on to explain that this is why my air tools seemed different from one shop to the next even though they all used identical air pressure. The lines weren't all the same length, or even diameter, and even though you could plug a guage in that showed the lines pressurized with 125 in either place, they couldn't keep that 125 up with a tool with high air consumption.

Take what i'm saying at face value, or don't. If you test for yourself, I think you'll be surprised at the results though...

tmoneyr007
07-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Start a new thread? Seriously has nothing to do with the 3/8" gun ..... Just sayin

WRX/Z28
07-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Start a new thread? Seriously has nothing to do with the 3/8" gun ..... Just sayin

True. Sorry for the clutter.

RangerDaleXp
07-25-2011, 12:40 AM

I agree, this would be a good topic on a compressor thread.....

BLACK DEATH
11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Back from the dead. So how is your 3/8" earthquakes holding up guys? The HF here doesnt have any but I found one at a pawn shop. Looks good. They want $29 but I am going to haggle them down and say "this is from harbor freight & they sell cheap stuff" Now I am only saying that to get it cheap. No need to start off the topic again.

MNRZR
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Back from the dead. So how is your 3/8" earthquakes holding up guys? The HF here doesnt have any but I found one at a pawn shop. Looks good. They want $29 but I am going to haggle them down and say "this is from harbor freight & they sell cheap stuff" Now I am only saying that to get it cheap. No need to start off the topic again.

Mine has been working like a champ! Plenty of power. I find myself reaching for it more often than my 1/2" impact.

BLACK DEATH
11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
I might just have to scoop this one up.

pipsters
11-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I might just have to scoop this one up.

The new Earthquake line is the real deal. Even the previous was good. But the current is more powerful, and quieter. Truly a great impact that outperformed a 2135timax I had (key word: had).

Danglerb
11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Specifically in regards to the older 3/8, its good, and a guy on ebay has rebuild kits (just a few orings and gaskets iirc) for $3 shipped. Buy one cheap and you should be good to go for a LONG time.

or

Buy the new one when it shows up on sale etc., it does appear to be even better, but long term life isn't something we will know for years.

BLACK DEATH
11-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Ok, I didnt read reviews on the new just the old one. I may just wait for the new one but even with a 20% coupon it is still up there in price.

Astro_Pneumatic_Tools
07-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Looking for replacement parts that won't cost you as much as the entire tool?
Astro Pneumatic now provides popular cross-over parts that can be used on competitor's brands. These parts are for the same tools, and constructed with the same quality, but won't cost you an arm and a leg. Best of all, you can purchase them directly from us by calling (800) 221-9705!
Check out the list below for all parts and their cross-overs!

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy333/Astro_Pneumatic/PartsCross-overListJan2014-001-001_zps1ac1b949.jpg (http://s805.photobucket.com/user/Astro_Pneumatic/media/PartsCross-overListJan2014-001-001_zps1ac1b949.jpg.html)

oldtools
07-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Looking for replacement parts that won't cost you as much as the entire tool?
Astro Pneumatic now provides popular cross-over parts that can be used on competitor's brands. These parts are for the same tools, and constructed with the same quality, but won't cost you an arm and a leg. Best of all, you can purchase them directly from us by calling (800) 221-9705!
Check out the list below for all parts and their cross-overs!

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy333/Astro_Pneumatic/PartsCross-overListJan2014-001-001_zps1ac1b949.jpg (http://s805.photobucket.com/user/Astro_Pneumatic/media/PartsCross-overListJan2014-001-001_zps1ac1b949.jpg.html)

These are good info.

outdoorsman310
07-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I don't think you can buy that version any more. I have the 4 bolt version and it worked well. I bought an mg325 to replace it though.

09-JK
07-22-2014, 09:01 AM
[b] These parts are for the same tools, and constructed with the same quality, but won't cost you an arm and a leg.
How do you know that they are the same quality as the OEM? Wouldn't that require that you have all of the manufactuiring specs and drawings from the manufacturer that designed the parts originally?

GSteg
07-22-2014, 09:51 AM
How do you know that they are the same quality as the OEM? Wouldn't that require that you have all of the manufactuiring specs and drawings from the manufacturer that designed the parts originally?

Reverse Engineering perhaps?

09-JK
07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Reverse Engineering perhaps?

The challenge with reverse engineering is that you do not know the tolerances of the part in question or the mating parts, so unless you sample a very large number of parts and then statistically arrive at the part tolerances, you never really know if the knock-off parts will fit and work as designed in the original product.

CobraRed
07-22-2014, 03:39 PM

Because tool repair companies that make a living from doing tool parts replacement and repair have been ordering parts and shopping around for who has them at the best price for years, buying replacement parts in the 100's from companies just like Astro to service IR, Mac, Matco ect.

That's how these companies learn the universal application, from customers inquiring about them - and boy would they hear about it if it didn't fit or work. Now when it comes to durability (or something like RC hardness on an anvil), it comes down to if the people doing business with the company have had any history of failures or just plain trust the company.

Marlin
07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
If I were rebuilding a Porsche motor I don't think I'd buy a set of pistons from Kmart, even if they did have them at half the price.

stikman56
08-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Nothing at HF is re-badged. It is all cloned! The Chinese have been doing it for years. Saves them a ton of money in the R&D and advertising department and fools the uninformed!:)

Incorrect actually, there are some things that were rebadged. The older Earthquake air ratchets are made by Florida Pneumatic. I believe the FP729A if I remember it right is the Earthquake 1/2" version. The 3/8" version is also the Cornwell CAT8000SD with different colored plastic.

Virgil Cain
08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
If I were rebuilding a Porsche motor I don't think I'd buy a set of pistons from Kmart, even if they did have them at half the price.

Except my impact wrench is a tool, not a fancy high end toy. It's there to do a job. So, it's more like my truck than a Porsche. If I can get decent quality serviceable parts that will keep it running at a lower price, that's great.

Marlin
08-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Except my impact wrench is a tool, not a fancy high end toy. It's there to do a job. So, it's more like my truck than a Porsche. If I can get decent quality serviceable parts that will keep it running at a lower price, that's great.

If you saw some of the machining tolerances that are held on the genuine parts you might think twice.