The Garage Journal Board

The Garage Journal Board (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Parking (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Oak Island TV show (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231107)

woodrail 01-06-2014 09:00 AM

Oak Island TV show

Watched this last night.

I thought it was going along very well until they brought in the "mystery" factor of the Ipad movie disappearing and the log "just appearing" out in the bay.

But...

I'll watch the next episode. It's more real than "housewives"!

Scott H in Wheaton 01-06-2014 09:17 AM

Re: Oak Island TV show

I liked it and look forward to more episodes. Seems more documentary than reality-tv. But they will get their moments of drama in there for sure.

My stink-o-meter is pretty sensitive to these reality shows, and I wasn't alerted to the missing video section or the log. I'm sure the guy running the computer just couldn't find the second file. The log maybe only appears at real low tide, so its plausible they never noticed it.

I love it when they are filming inside a house and then the tv hosts knock on the door and the homeowner is surprised to greet them. So do you always have a tv camera crew just hanging out in your living room? Maybe that was a clue you were about to be visited by the hosts. (American Pickers especially use this technique).

G_P 01-06-2014 09:21 AM

Obviously the entire show has already been filmed a while ago. If any treasure was found it would have been all over the news the day it happened. So its obvious nothing significant was found.

woodrail 01-06-2014 09:37 AM

I read on another forum that a story exists about work on the hole during the depression. One of the workers went home and demanded his wife gold chain that had been passed down through her family.

He threw it down the hole. A while later, "fragments" were discovered! The dig was funded for another 18 months from that.

I suspect that's what these guys are trying to do. Maybe Richard Branson or Ballard will get interested.

Radio Ron, w4ron 01-06-2014 09:45 AM

It looks to me like just another one of the "Treasure Hunter", "Ghost Hunter, "UFO Hunter" shows that drag out all the drama to fill the time slot and never find anything.
Just more reality tv BS.

retDAC 01-06-2014 12:06 PM

They mentioned a Reader's Digest article printed in 1965. I recall reading that article and while the initial discovery details were left out of the show, most other pertinent facts were presented. I don't have any particular idea of why that 'pit' and the additional work were done to begin with, but some group went to a tremendous amount of effort in creating it. And so far north to boot. Oak Island is in Canadian waters north of Maine.

NHBandit 01-06-2014 12:14 PM

I belong to a metal detecting forum that has sub sections for these type of lost treasure stories. I enjoy these type of shows simply because it tugs at the little boy in all of us that used to dream of finding "pirate treasure". Maybe it's because when I grew up in the 60s these were the kind of books I liked to read. Kids today, not so much. The History channel seems to have alot more fact based "reality" shows than most. It sure beats Storage Wars where you can see chicks with fake tits "discovering" thousands of dollars worth of cool stuff that someone lost because they were $200 bucks behind on their rent... Like that's ever going to happen.. The general consensus among real experts on the Oak Island mystery is that it may have been a temporary hiding place for something but that whatever it was has either been found or was moved to another location back in those days. The mysterious "tusk" they found sticking up out of the bay is probably nothing more than a well worn piling from an old dock.

Voi 01-06-2014 12:27 PM

Here is a Wikipedia link for others like myself who hadn't heard of Oak Island before. Saw commercials for the show but haven't seen it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

iajonesy 01-06-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G_P (Post 3637960)
Obviously the entire show has already been filmed a while ago. If any treasure was found it would have been all over the news the day it happened. So its obvious nothing significant was found.

This!!!!!!!

Mike

Scott H in Wheaton 01-06-2014 12:41 PM

Maybe they'll find Bigfoot living in a cave with some ghosts at the bottom of the pit.

BFBOB 01-06-2014 12:44 PM

Lots of material on Oak Island is available . I read several books about it way back in grade school in the 60's It sure evokes the treasure hunter in us all, but I really think if there were anything to be found it would already have been found. A fascinating subject nonetheless.

Randy in Maine 01-06-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retDAC (Post 3638396)
Oak Island is in Canadian waters north of Maine.

In Nova Scotia just a little south of Halifax IIRC.

Bronson 01-06-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G_P (Post 3637960)

I don't know when this show was filmed, but it appears to be a very complex construction, and they are not near done yet, in My opinion. I read the article in RD in 65 and have always been interested in the pit.

I was thinking, maybe it was made to keep something IN, rather than keeping people OUT. Perhaps at the bottom of the pit is the Chupicabra, or the Predator, or the Seven Horsemen of the Apocalypse.........Or, the Holy Grail.:dunno:

Kevin54 01-06-2014 05:25 PM

I was watching America Unearthed the other night and the guy behind that is searching for the Ark of the Covenant. Then while watching Oak Island the other night, they did mention that it mat be the AotC.

I find it interesting even though they do drag things out. And remember....one more dies before anything will be revealed according to legend.

383 240z 01-06-2014 05:41 PM

Watching it now on History.com Oak Island was always a favorite story of mine. Can't belive Clive Cussler never got involved with it. Keith

BearCuda 01-06-2014 06:10 PM

Good grief, they already proved years ago that if any treasure had been there, that it was discovered long ago.

Scott H in Wheaton 01-06-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCuda (Post 3639322)
Good grief, they already proved years ago that if any treasure had been there, that it was discovered long ago.

Hey you could save these guys a bunch of money! have you tried to call them?

NHBandit 01-06-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

^^^^^ This is what people forget. As I said, I hang out on a treasure hunting forum and there are many many treasure legends. Victorio Peak, Tayopa, The Lost Dutchman, Jonathan Swift's Silver mines, etc. Now throw a little common sense into the equation.. You find one of these treasures, but it's on either private property or government controlled property. What are you going to do ? Tell someone and lose it or remove it and not tell a soul ? It's my humble opinion that 90% of the "lost treasures" that were real have been found and are gone.

BearCuda 01-06-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton (Post 3639351)
Hey you could save these guys a bunch of money! have you tried to call them?

No point in pointing out the folly of fools.

Bronson 01-06-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Documentation? Who is "they?"