Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
seanmoonye

Default Irish 13x30 garage

Hey everyone.. i joined this forum a good while ago now when i was buying my house and it came with a garage and i was looking some ideasd.

So now i have the house.. still have a few wee things to do in the house then it will be onto the garage.

The walls are block with the internal walls drylined.

The roof is tin with a felt underlayer and then plylined.

Here are some pics..

2 small storage areas in the roof space

my plans are to re roof the garage as the ply layer gets damp when it rains so it must be leaking. im unsure whether to go for another tin roof or try and save the money and slate it.

I have a bench wich i made from some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron and some 2x6 timbers so i am going to modify it for my new garage. I have some steel shelfing and also a steel cabinet which i will be taking.

The flooring at the minute is vinyl tiles which i will be removing and depending on the condition of the floor underneath i intend to put and epoxy coat on it.

My oil storage tank for the house is in the garage for safety as there is a lot of oil theft happening so i intend in making a fire proof covering to surround it and maybe some storage above it.

I am unsure what is the best option for having a practical work bench and storage area but yet still leave a practical area where i can work on my cars.

If anyone would like to put foreward some design proposals it would be much appreciated.

I will keep you updated with any progress..

Many thanks

Séan
seanmoonye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
atotalnincompoop

Default Re: Irish 13x30 garage

looks like a good space to start with, i like the overhead storage areas
atotalnincompoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
seanmoonye

Yeah if i re-roof the garage i think i will keep the overhead storage.

May have to beef up the timber sizes as have several sets of alloy wheels which could fit up there perfectly.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
kered

Good to see another Irish member join up here on GJ - Welcome
kered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Dara

nice garage it has alot of potential!its good to see more an more irish members joinin
Dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
seanmoonye

Cheers fellas..

Looking into getting some tiles here that the boss has lying in the yard.. think theres enough to do me.. Left over from a project we done so might take handy money for them.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
ckadams00

Looks great Sean, can't wait to see your progress. You have a blank slate my friend, I can imagine some great things happpening in that space! BTW my shop space is 6'5" x 26" - so when you start thinking you have a small space just remember those of us who are jealous of all that room!

Really appreciate feedback on purchases! Thanks!
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=149307

Stop by my (very small) shop!http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=139136
ckadams00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
alfazer

You mention the ply getting damp. Maybe rain as you say but it could well be condensation forming on the underside of the tin or felt and then dripping down, especially in cold weather? Could be a lack of ventilation up there.
If you're considering another tin roof, then the double skinned insulated type makes a massive difference to condensation and heat insulation.

Last edited by alfazer; 02-24-2012 at 03:08 PM.
alfazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Bugmeat

Nice garage! Where in Ireland are you, and what kinds of cars will you be working on?

Mike
Bugmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Jawn

Looks like a good starting point. I'm eager to see it progress.

Last edited by Jawn; 02-24-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: guess I should read a little better.
Jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
zagamuffin

good to see another Irish project, show us the cars etc, dont like the look of the oil tank in the garage,is that not asking for trouble..
you can get good tank locks now or a big dog....lol

zaga
zagamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
seanmoonye

Im actually from armagh in northern ireland but i live just on the border..

My last garage was about 12x10 so this is a massive improvemnt.

I was thinking of an insulated tin roof as it would work out aloat cheaper than slates. Id have to do some calculations to see if the existing rafters can even cope with the extra wight associated with a slate roof.

Hopefully ill have all the work done to the house this week and i can maybe start on the garage next week.

In response to the oil tank comment, i could move it outside but all it takes is someone with a holesaw and cut into the tank or even just cut the lock and they can drain the oil but where it is situated i cant see there being much problem as any "hotwork" as i would class it could be carried out in the other shed at the back of this one.

I want to have a very modern look like some of the lovely garages on the forum.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
seanmoonye

Oh and for the people that asked about the cars..

Im into modified cars and my most prised posetion is my corsa c

with this car i have had 2 mag features.. Total Vauxhall which is my biggest achievement to date and also another mag modified motors. I have also won numerous trophies which when i get a display cabinet made up i will show them to you all..

i also had this untill last week

And has been replaced with a mk5 jetta which i will be doing some work on when i get my garage sorted..
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Aaron P.

nice to see another irish guy on showing his kingdom off ....
we dont have a pimple on an elephants arse compared to other users do we it makes me rightly jealous

the worst thing is that once you start putting tools etc into your garage it will be to small ......

as for covering the roof you could use steel cladding with the grp light wells into it.....your probably looking at €300-€500 to do it....

the cars look nice, like the air system on the golf....did you install that yourself??? whats the cost of doing this job???
Aaron P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
regguy1

Hello,

The interior of the car is a real eye popper!

If the plywood is damp maybe it should be removed because of possible mold...?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
seanmoonye

Hey everyone.. havent been on in a while as ive been very busy with cars, the house and a bit of progress in the garage..

Mostly painting and also got new sockets, switches and lights

some pics:

The new lights with an ice white bulb in them so gives out loads of light

Painted the roof and the walls and skirting.. few coats anyway

and also painted the door

waiting on the girl friends father to come and plaster the section beside the door and then i can paint it.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
seanmoonye

I have completed most of the painting since these pics were taken last week.

Ive a bit of touching up to do this evening and i will put up more pics of it.

I have the timber on the floor thgere to make a frame arround the tank and i am going to make a cabinet about the oil tank for a bit more storage.

I have had a few people in looking at the floor for me but i havent got the money at the minute with doing stuff to the car and saving to replace the roof so i think i might leave it untill next year and then do it.

Im doing an engine conversion on the red and white car so the floor would be messed up anyway so ill wait untill thats all finished with .

I have a bench frame that i got from a place i work part time on saturdays that will fit in perfect longays in front of the oil tank and i have all my steel shelfing and also the steel cabinet from my other garage that i stor some things in at my uncles waiting to go in here. Need to get it all moved over this weekend and get it painted up.

Thats all the news i have for now.. ill update maybe after the weekend if i get my shelfing etc over.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #18
seanmoonye

Well some progress.. have the garage cleaned out and i have the boxing done around the tank.. used some nice 3x11/2 so its good and beefy and could support anything i put on top of it..

Also have all of the pinting done.. i took these pics before i painted the boxing arround the tank cause it was late and the girlfriend was telling me to come inside for dinner.. lol

soo some pics..

Cleared out ready for my shelfing and cabined and bench.

just put a few things on top to get an idea of what all i could put up there..

This is my access hatch to fill the tank.

Im going over to my other garage to pack up the stuff tonight and get it moved over, i then need to paint the shelfing and the cabinets as they are grey at the min and im gonna keep with the black and white theme..

So what do you think of the progress soo far?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #19
Kevin54

Nice work and really nice car. I love the interior of it. Looking forward to seeing more pics of both the garage and car.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
seanmoonye

Thanks kevin..

Im remodling the car now aswell once i get the garage set up fully..