Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
RalloZ35

Smile My tools

Hey guys, Im a newb. A couple years ago when I got a dirtbike, my dad suprised me and brought home an old tool box, I cleaned it up and shot it with paint. Well a week later, He brought me home a bunch of new tools. Well, they were almost all pittsburgh tools (Harbor Freight)... And don't get me wrong, they are kinda nice, but not top notch (Only broke a few things). And Im looking at some Allen tools, Craftsman, or Kobalt. I can't afford much, as I am in highschool and just bought my first truck . Really wanna get some better tools, and a new box. What do you guys suggest? Is Allen junk? Craftsman as good as it used to be? Kobalt any good? Thanks guys
RalloZ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
caseyjw

Default Re: My tools

Allen or Craftsman should be fine if you are just working on your dirtbike. If you are a professional, then no it wouldn't be enough.
caseyjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
RalloZ35

Well I sold that, but it will be on my truck. Im planning on being a diesel mechanic, as I love to work on engines and always gotta tear something apart. I think Ill start piecing together Allen tools. Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Altec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalloZ35 View Post
Well I sold that, but it will be on my truck. Im planning on being a diesel mechanic, as I love to work on engines and always gotta tear something apart. I think Ill start piecing together Allen tools. Thanks for the feedback
Well, first of all. RUN! Don't be a mechanic! Work on your own junk for fun, and your friends junk for tool money! Being a mechanic sucks in reality. You work yourself to a bad back, bad knees, and arthritis for money that isn't worth that. On top of that a lot of mechanics end up in a spot where retirement isn't a option.

I turn wrenches, my Dad turns wrenches, my grandfathers turned wrenches, and I don't work with guys under 50... I'm getting out as soon as I find something else... I should have listened. Now as I write this my feet hurt, my knees are stiff, and my back is sore. I also have some lovely red scrapes on my arm from a intake...

Now, enough of me being a negative nancy. Yes, most of Allen stuff is import these days, and Craftsman is going that way. It is honestly to the point that you have three options. Tool truck, learning the tricks of finding USA stuff here, or accept imports. This site, and another that I'll PM to you has a lot of good places to hunt for tools, and tips on what to look for.

You won't always be able to find what you want new, and it won't always be USA. Euro tools, and Japanese tools are great choices as well. Plus Canada, and some Mexico stuff!

This is a good place to start.
http://store.harryepstein.com/

Also check out Cripe Distributing. Look for USA in the title of the item. Although that isn't always correct, it normally is...

It's all about learning what is out there.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
american lockpicker
Banned

New Allen is imported junk.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
fivespdcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Well, first of all. RUN! Don't be a mechanic! Work on your own junk for fun, and your friends junk for tool money! Being a mechanic sucks in reality. You work yourself to a bad back, bad knees, and arthritis for money that isn't worth that. On top of that a lot of mechanics end up in a spot where retirement isn't a option.

I turn wrenches, my Dad turns wrenches, my grandfathers turned wrenches, and I don't work with guys under 50... I'm getting out as soon as I find something else... I should have listened. Now as I write this my feet hurt, my knees are stiff, and my back is sore. I also have some lovely red scrapes on my arm from a intake...

Now, enough of me being a negative nancy. Yes, most of Allen stuff is import these days, and Craftsman is going that way. It is honestly to the point that you have three options. Tool truck, learning the tricks of finding USA stuff here, or accept imports. This site, and another that I'll PM to you has a lot of good places to hunt for tools, and tips on what to look for.

You won't always be able to find what you want new, and it won't always be USA. Euro tools, and Japanese tools are great choices as well. Plus Canada, and some Mexico stuff!

Also check out Cripe Distributing. Look for USA in the title of the item. Although that isn't always correct, it normally is...

You are evil, he will spend all his money here and not buy everything he wants!
fivespdcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
WESTOF7

Quote:

I made 42000 net my first year turning wrenches. It will kill your body though.

Be the best, stay hungry never be satisfied. Learn to work on everything. The money follows.

Don't waste your time and money buying allen and craftsman junk. Hit up pawn shops and craigslist maybe find a old mechanic retiring take out a loan and buy his $50,000 worth of snap on for $8000. Just go with snap on chrome and research everything you buy. You cant be the best without the best equipment.
WESTOF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Altec

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTOF7 View Post
I made 42000 net my first year turning wrenches. It will kill your body though.

Be the best, stay hungry never be satisfied. Learn to work on everything. The money follows.

Don't waste your time and money buying allen and craftsman junk. Hit up pawn shops and craigslist maybe find a old mechanic retiring take out a loan and buy his $50,000 worth of snap on for $8000. Just go with snap on chrome and research everything you buy. You cant be the best without the best equipment.
Never said dollar numbers. My Dad was making 70k a year doing fleet work at one point (Pretty easy stuff, a lot of CNG). Hard to enjoy money when the doctor says you should be in a wheel chair.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
WESTOF7

Quote:
Never said dollar numbers. My Dad was making 70k a year doing fleet work at one point (Pretty easy stuff, a lot of CNG). Hard to enjoy money when the doctor says you should be in a wheel chair.
This is not a trade you can work in until your old age but there are a lot of supervisory positions available where you still get to wrench on things if you feel like it. A position as a shop foreman at a large construction company is where its at imo or running your own shop.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
RalloZ35

Is Allen Tiawanese?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
RalloZ35

If I buy allen tools that say USA is it true or just a gimmic. And Im set on a diesel mech. I love to work on things, its good pay and, its just what I like to do. As for the bad joints and what not, Thats life.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
american lockpicker
Banned

Quote:
If I buy allen tools that say USA is it true or just a gimmic.
Yeah but its new old stock.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
WESTOF7

Quote:
If I buy allen tools that say USA is it true or just a gimmic. And Im set on a diesel mech. I love to work on things, its good pay and, its just what I like to do. As for the bad joints and what not, Thats life.
If you stay healthy it and take care of yourself it isn't that hard on yourself.

There is money in it. Get good then get on with a large contractor or work as a mechanic in the oil fields. $40+ hourly jobs with as many hours as you can handle jobs are out there.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Altec

If it says USA, it most likely is...

I'll make sure to tell my boss, and co worker that all the metal in their backs is "Just Life." Haha.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
RalloZ35

Well, Not having it that bad
He made it sound as if you have stiff knees at night and a sore back, not actually having that. That is not life.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
wreckerman5357

I would recomend buying a big Craftsman set with sockets, ratchets, extensions, and wrenches. Upgrade to tool truck stuff gradually if you decide to go pro. That's what I did. I still use Craftsman sockets and combo wrenches. I have upgraded my ratchets, screwdrivers, extensions, bit sockets, and various other stuff to Snap-On. But a guy can do that gradually.
wreckerman5357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
eljefino

Give some thought to your tool hoarding. I'm pleased to recently discover Sears breaks wrench sets into small and large, with the split happening at about 3/4" or 19mm. If you're buying a jumbo all-in-one kit now, the super-jumbo one later will have lots of redundancy.

I think kobalt is pretty okay. Stay away from "task force" of course, it's as bad as or worse than HF. If you wander through depot/lowes/sears you might find leftover stuff still. Then watch for leftover father's day stuff. Black Friday is not spectacular any more; I saw plenty of BF deals online at the same price later that Xmas season.

Might be good to be well rounded so you're never hungry for work. Front end, suspension, brake, electrical. Get a clunker and follow its needs!

Try flipping stuff... cars and trucks, dirt bikes, outdoor power equipment, trash finds etc to raise cash for more tool purchases. It snowballs!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
woody 73

Hi and welcome to the GJ.

Young Grasshopper:
Rule #1 Never Grow old (see post #5).
Rule #2 Always go to the bathroom before you change any car oil. see Rule #1.
Rule #3 Always ask lots of questions.
Rule #4 follow Craigslist for used tool deals.
Rule #5 Allen tools are very nice make sure they say made in the USA.
Rule #6 Make sure your future wife likes tools.
Rule #7 Eat lots of vegetables and drink lots of water.
rule # 8 if you forget see rule #1.

Happy Hunting!
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
drabe7

im n our shoes. im 17 and broke. i admit it i use stanley, husky, craftsman, hf, etc.. they work for me. if i had the noeny for snap heck yea id go with it but for what i do the cheap stuff works....for now
drabe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
RalloZ35

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabe7 View Post
im n our shoes. im 17 and broke. i admit it i use stanley, husky, craftsman, hf, etc.. they work for me. if i had the noeny for snap heck yea id go with it but for what i do the cheap stuff works....for now
Thats exactly it, I want the best, but can only afford the rest. Ill probably buy Allen USA. Keep it as a home set for my life and buy snap on as a better set.