Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #81
Indy_500

Default Re: gearwrench 50% off at sears this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxm View Post
Don't feel bad. At lease, the HF version has quick release.
i like QR but it can be a bad thing sometimes, thats why 95% of snap on ratchets are not QR

05 Polaris XC SP 500
Indy_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #82
kythri

Among the goodies I picked up today were the 56-piece ratcheting screwdriver kit (mine is made in Taiwan) and the Roto-ratchet 2-pack (also made in Taiwain, per the package, but no marking on the tool itself).

My local store seemed out of sorts today - the website said they had 3 left in stock, their in-store inventory system said 4 on hand. Nobody could find any of them, until someone opened a overstock drawer under the displays and all 4 sets were in there.

Really surprised that they couldn't find a single peghook for these things.
kythri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #83
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrholeshot View Post
While they look similar they are worlds apart. The Gearwrench Roto ratchet is a near copy of the Snap-On and disassembles the same. The HF roto ratchet isn't serviceable and has a push button quick release. Buddy of mine cut one in half and it has a single sliding pawl on top of the gear. I wish I would have had my camera when I saw it. They still work great and are sure worth the money but just looking similar is as far as they get to being the same. I may disect one myself and post the photos
Out of curiosity, how do they disassemble? There appears to be a circlip or some sort of ring, but doesn't appear to be a normal snap ring...
Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #84
Indy_500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythri View Post
Among the goodies I picked up today were the 56-piece ratcheting screwdriver kit (mine is made in Taiwan) and the Roto-ratchet 2-pack (also made in Taiwain, per the package, but no marking on the tool itself).

My local store seemed out of sorts today - the website said they had 3 left in stock, their in-store inventory system said 4 on hand. Nobody could find any of them, until someone opened a overstock drawer under the displays and all 4 sets were in there.

Really surprised that they couldn't find a single peghook for these things.
those roto ratchets are made in taiwan.

My store had 1 pack of roto ratchets left out of these little plastic hanger things where theres 25 spots for em, there was at least 20 of them last week too

05 Polaris XC SP 500
Indy_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #85
d33pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
Well I picked up the GearWrench ratcheting screwdriver set, went to the cashier, and ripped him a new one for selling Asian tools at Sears. Cussed him up and down, told him Sears would never get another penny from me unless ALL their tools were USA made. Then I paid him my $17 and was on my way.

I got the feeling he didn't take me seriously, though...
i did stop in the sears today after dinner (it was right next to the restaurant). I picked up the vortex set. looked it over. was very tempted. i put it back and walked away.
d33pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #86
mrholeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythri View Post
Out of curiosity, how do they disassemble? There appears to be a circlip or some sort of ring, but doesn't appear to be a normal snap ring...
It is a flat circular sping steel ring almost identical to a spirolock on floating pin pistons. Very easy to remove with a pick or very small screwdriver
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #87
lipadj46

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
I bought both the 49 and 75 pc sets today, and was fondling them this evening.

Both are nice sets, but the 49 pc one has the edge. The whole set is hole-through 'Vortex' tools, with both 1/4" and 3/8" equivalents.

The 75 pc set has only the 17 socket 3/8" drive equivalents, exactly the same set as the larger sockets in the 49 pc set. But it doesn't have any of the smaller sockets or ratchet handle. The single flex ratchet is nicer than the two ratchets in the 49 pc set.

The remainder of the sockets, besides the 17 Vortex sockets, consists of standard square drive 1/4" and 3/8" sockets. They are nice enough, with pretty chrome inside and out. But I'm guessing every one here already has regular sockets. Likely a few sets, perhaps even dozens.

The rest of the 75 pc set count is a precision screwdriver set. Quite nice, but basically a standard set. They are unrelated to the Vortex sockets, and smaller tools. I could understand a set with e.g. 1/4" hex drive #2 and #3 Phillips bits, in an attempt to make it look like a general purpose tool kit. But this is a miniature set that starts at #1 and goes smaller to #00. Completely off scale. At least they are isolated in their own case.

Bottom line: the special aspect of this set is the Vortex sockets. For people here, the 49 pc set has all of the ones from the 75 pc set, and more. And it has only Vortex sockets, without duplicating standard tools you likely already have.
Cool thanks!
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #88
Yojinbo

I picked up the large wrench sets in both inch and metric. My Sears had plenty of both at $29. I'm a bit nervous about a 1" ratchet wrench.... But for the price I thought I would try them.

oh, and 2 sets of XL X-beams might have 'jumped' in the bag too.
Yojinbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #89
mrholeshot

I went to Sears pick up to pick up my online order. They have a 5 minute garrentee or 5$ off your next purchace if they don't make it (5.40). I whipped back through the store and picked up another 35pc Microdriver set for 7 dollars with my coupon. Put the Micro driver set in the pocket of my wheelchair.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #90
mojo_13

Picked up the screwdriver set and the pass thru for my Dad for christmas, great deal on these thanks for the heads up. Also got a couple of the Craftsman Large Mouth tools bags for $5. They will make a great present or something to throw my purchases in on the way home.
mojo_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #91
JayL

Send a message via Skype™ to JayL

When I purchased my 56 pc GW Ratcheting Screwdriver set at Sears I also bought some additional shafts ( both for the bits and the sockets ) in varying lenghts. I just don't know if these are still available.

Last edited by JayL; 09-04-2010 at 12:02 PM.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #92
reptilezs

i just picked up the 49 thru socket set and the roto ratchets. my 49 pc set was missing a 1/4 drive 3 in extension and the 15mm socket spot had an unmarked socket and was really 13mm. off to sears again to swap the set
reptilezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #93
dankicksass

I just went for the 2pc roto ratchets and 49pc thru-ratchet set for $53 w/tx after coupon. I didn't like the ratchets in Lowes but at that price I can be happier and if I want, just give them to my dad.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #94
3 at 8

Just got home with the 49 pc pass through set. Thanks for the heads up. Mines from China as they all were, as well as all the 56 pc screwdiver sets there. Is there any noticeable difference between the China And Tiawan sets.
3 at 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #95
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 at 8 View Post
Just got home with the 49 pc pass through set. Thanks for the heads up. Mines from China as they all were, as well as all the 56 pc screwdiver sets there. Is there any noticeable difference between the China And Tiawan sets.
I have yet to see any quality differences between my Taiwanese and Chinese GearWrenches.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #96
Ben Iv

Thanks for the heads up, went today and got a set of sae flex head wrenches and the rotoratchets. sevral signs up that said 50% off but while i was standing there a guy got some x frame flexheads and they were marked 40.00 off but they gave him the 50% off and then took down the signs that said all till they could talk to sombody
Ben Iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #97
joemh22

Picked up a set of SAE and a set of metric flex heads. Thanks for the heads-up.
joemh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #98
dankicksass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankicksass View Post
I just went for the 2pc roto ratchets and 49pc thru-ratchet set for $53 w/tx after coupon. I didn't like the ratchets in Lowes but at that price I can be happier and if I want, just give them to my dad.
Took an old pair of alligators in with cruddy jaws and they replaced them with the Knipex Cobra 10in rebadged pliers. I think I made out okay. Stopped at the ribs n gas and blew all the money I saved anyway. I had never taken spline drive ratchet and socket kits seriously, but after using it for a minute I'm impressed. The kit covers everything from 3.5mm-19mm and nearly as much in standard, the ratchets have 72 teeth by my count and they feel nice in the hand. I'll likely pack in in my trunk kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-09-04 19.24.27.jpg (146.9 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by dankicksass; 09-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #99
toolmutt

Just tried to order the locking flex ratcheting wrench sets online but the website was not pricing them at 50% off. I called Sears customer service but got the standard Sears CS treatment. Conversation went something like this (condensed).

Customer Service Agent (CSA): Those are not included.
Me: The ad says "All Gearwrench 50% off".http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1...kets?adCell=WF
CSA: That's only for the 8 piece set pictured.
Me: But the ad says "All Gearwrench".
CSA: The set you want is already on closeout (They are 10% off on the website) so they are not included.
Me: Can I speak to a supervisor, please.
CSA Supervisor (CSAS): The set you want is already on closeout.
Me: It doesn't say "closeout" anywhere on the item page on the website.
CSAS: Well, then, it's already on sale so it's excluded. The 50% off is only for regular priced items.
Me: The exclusions don't say anything about simply "on sale".http://www.sears.com/shc/s/DZExclusi...&storeId=10153
CSAS: Then it must be a "Greate (sic) price" item.
Me: It doesn't say anything about Greate (sic) price on the webpage that I'm looking at.
CSAS: It says it on mine.
Me: So you won't honor the 50% off?
CSAS: No.

Sooooo....I got lots of runaround but no wrenches. I like my local Sears guy, he's great. But they don't have the locking sets in store. I jsut hate dealing with Sears.com or their customer service.

Rant over. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #100
3 at 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmutt View Post
Just tried to order the locking flex ratcheting wrench sets online but the website was not pricing them at 50% off. I called Sears customer service but got the standard Sears CS treatment. Conversation went something like this (condensed).

Customer Service Agent (CSA): Those are not included.
Me: The ad says "All Gearwrench 50% off".http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1...kets?adCell=WF
CSA: That's only for the 8 piece set pictured.
Me: But the ad says "All Gearwrench".
CSA: The set you want is already on closeout (They are 10% off on the website) so they are not included.
Me: Can I speak to a supervisor, please.
CSA Supervisor (CSAS): The set you want is already on closeout.
Me: It doesn't say "closeout" anywhere on the item page on the website.
CSAS: Well, then, it's already on sale so it's excluded. The 50% off is only for regular priced items.
Me: The exclusions don't say anything about simply "on sale".http://www.sears.com/shc/s/DZExclusi...&storeId=10153
CSAS: Then it must be a "Greate (sic) price" item.
Me: It doesn't say anything about Greate (sic) price on the webpage that I'm looking at.
CSAS: It says it on mine.
Me: So you won't honor the 50% off?
CSAS: No.

Sooooo....I got lots of runaround but no wrenches. I like my local Sears guy, he's great. But they don't have the locking sets in store. I jsut hate dealing with Sears.com or their customer service.

Rant over. Thanks.

Yah, that's a bummer. I went back to Sears tonight for another 49 pc pass through set for a present for some one, and then also tried to buy the serpentine belt wrench set ($62.00) for 50% off using your same thought process with sale flyer in hand that says "all Gearwrench 50% off". Well; they pretty much implied - no way jose'.
3 at 8 is offline   Reply With Quote