Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #21
GerryL

Default Re: HELP! Reddy heater not working!

I had a problem with a Reddy heater a few years ago. I bought one at a local hardware shop in the middle of an 18" snowstorm. I had fuelled up my skid steer in the fall, and left my fuel tank cap off. This was 2 months later, needless to say I had quite a bit of water in the fuel system. The bowl and filters were solid ice, along with ice in the tank. I battled it on and off for a month, but this was the first day I found out I had a problem. I knew I needed to heat it up before things started breaking, so I tarped over the machine well and bought a Reddy Heater at a premium price. Got home, set it up and it wouldn't run. By now the stores had closed and there was a lot of snow coming down. It actually fired once for a short time, then stopped. I dismantled the heater until I found the problem; the pump wasn't turning due to a tolerance problem in the vane/impeller area. I think with all the bolts snugged it would bind, loosening them allowed it to run. If I recall I maybe cleaned it up with some 600 grit emery, looking for a burr. After that it has run well. I won't buy another Reddy Heater though, due to their lack of response. I had emailed them a detailed letter explaining my problem, looking for something; maybe a partial refund or a discount on a future purchase, sympathy at least. I got a reply that said they couldn't do anything about it if I didn't give them more info, referring to an inspector #. I had all my paperwork and receipts, so I emailed them the info. I never heard from them again. I understand manufacturing, I worked in it for 22 years. Stuff happens, and quality control is supposed to help minimize what gets out in the field for problems, but when you have a problem, by gosh, support the customer! Do what it takes to make them happy. Shoot, I would've been happy if someone called and said "Gee I'm really sorry you expeerienced that problem with our product.". Hmmm, I feel better after posting. :-) It actually was a pretty stressful time when this was going on, my loader had died in the middle of the driveway. No way to move it except under it's own power. So that was my experience with a Reddy Heater that wasn't. Good luck with yours!
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
byrd

things i would check in order:
when you plug it in and it "hums" does the fan rotate? if so does the ignitor fire? remove the top cover and look at the fuel nozzle while running, should be an even cone shaped spray pattern. if no spark remove the ignition lead and hold it close to the end of the ignitor, check for spark there, you should be able to slowly pull it farther away fron the ignitor up to about an inch(use insulated pliers) cause if it bites you it stings, if not the ignition module is going bad. if you have a weak fuel spray remove the back plastic cover on the motor and there are filters inside, then remove the six bolts that hold the inside of the filter housing to the motor. inside is your pump, should be a round carbon rotor and four pump vanes. make sure that there is no damage and also check the plastic coupler that the rotor attaches to the motor armature. if everything looks good re-install the pump and filter housing. like in the previous post check the fuel hose and the hose running from the pump to the fuel nozzle for cracks. you need a pressure gauge that is in 1psi. increments and install it in the port on the back of the pump housing that does not have a hole in it. run the heater and check the pressure, it should be around 5psi but the pressure setting should be listed on the side of the heater. to adjust the pressure turn the plug with the hole in it until the pressure setting is correct. as long as everything checks out the problem is usually solved. depending on the model heater there are photocells(flame sensors), high temo sensors, and thermostats that could hinder the function of the heater. these are just some basic troubleshooting steps for forced air kerosene heaters. there are more technical steps to resolve different issues so let me know what you find and i can help.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #23
nxstang

OK, i have videos posted above....pleasel ook at those.

On the issues....I pulled the cover off and the fan kicks on. the injector shoots fuel. i bypassed the photocell and it didnt change anything. The fork-looking piece (ignitor?) came on and glowed red while the fan was going and it shot fuel. I bought a new fuel filter for it, nothing. checked the fuel line and cleaned it, nothing.

The videos may or may not help but they arep osted several posts up. thanks.
nxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #24
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxstang View Post
OK, i have videos posted above....pleasel ook at those.

On the issues....I pulled the cover off and the fan kicks on. the injector shoots fuel. i bypassed the photocell and it didnt change anything. The fork-looking piece (ignitor?) came on and glowed red while the fan was going and it shot fuel. I bought a new fuel filter for it, nothing. checked the fuel line and cleaned it, nothing.

The videos may or may not help but they arep osted several posts up. thanks.
I think you should have a continuous blue spark sizzling between the two probes of the ignitor.

Edit: sorry, some of the heaters have a HSI ignition that uses a "glowbar" and this sounds like what you have.

http://www.reddyparts.com/

Left side of the page, under the red arrow, is all the trouble shooting help and tips.

Charles

Last edited by Charles (in GA); 01-06-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #25
byrd

watched both vids, by the sound of the heater you need to check the carbon pump rotor and vanes the pump is loud. also check the pump pressure, it may spray fuel but with the incorrect pressure your fuel will not ignite.

Last edited by byrd; 01-06-2010 at 04:47 PM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #26
nxstang

My wifes father told me he knows how to fix these heaters and told me i need a ignitor (obviously) and possibly a board. Anyone else think its that? thanks.
nxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
onlyn8v

Hey i know this is old but Did you ever find out what happened with yours? Mine is doing the same thing
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
long240project

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyn8v View Post
Hey i know this is old but Did you ever find out what happened with yours? Mine is doing the same thing

Onlyn8v I am Unfortunately very familar with this problem in fact i am dealing with it today. I would like to help if you are interested. I can help you trouble shoot the heater. reply @ timothy.comeaux@williams.com
long240project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #29
onlyn8v

Well, an update. I cleaned the eye. Didnt help. I can see the glowplug does light up. It looks like the fan will spin but not when power is applied to it. SO I kicked the fan, the next time i pluged it in it fired. Then I unplugged it and put the cover back on and it wouldnt work.

Not really sure what would make the fan stop spinning but the money they want for replacement fans is a little high
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #30
onlyn8v

Well an update to the update. I kicked it again and its fine.

Im guessing it had buildup in the motor brushes.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
MR.Gunk

Exclamation Re: HELP! Reddy heater not working!

I am going to lend some (I hope) helpful advice.
After struggling with my 60k BTU heater for some time, here is what I have found:
1: It is a good Idea to buy a low pressure gauge and attach it permanently to the port on the left in the back. a 0-15 psi is fine. It is a great tool, even if the device is working, so you can monitor the health of the filters, etc.. EVERYTHING on this device relies on the pressure hovering around 3 psi. (Pressures vary dependent on model, you can google that.) If you can not keep a consistent pressure, the unit will not work correctly PERIOD.
2: Make sure you have clean fuel, whether it is Kero, Diesel, or JetA.
3: The seal (cork) on the back end MUST be in good shape (and be there.) Use some Vaseline on the cork to help make a good seal.
4: When all else fails (or if you or someone else has opened the Vein pump to clean it) VERIFY that it has been assembled correctly.
5: To clean the parts of the pump take extreme caution. Do not use and cleaners, just use a dry shop-type paper towel to wipe the parts off. Handle the parts gently, they are fragile, and can break easily.
6: Upon re-assembly of the pump MAKE SURE THE FINS ARE PLACED IN THE CORRECT ORIENTATION. You CAN install them 90 degrees out without the pump jamming up, and it will go back together, but the pressure will either fluctuate very rapidly, or not build pressure at all. When you put the fins back in, they will sit flush with the rotor, there will be no gap between the fins and the back plate. If there is a gap, rotate the fin 90 degrees, and check again. CHECK EVERY FIN. If one is worn, or does not slide properly when rotated, it will not work.
7:Verify the nozzle is clean.
8: The filters are cheap, replace them.
I can not stress enough that a pressure gauge will likely be your beacon in the dark here.... You can tell (if you know your heater well enough) how it should sound, and if it doesn't sound right, get a gauge. If it flutters fast, you probably need a rotor re-build kit. If you can't build pressure, there is something loose, or worn (like the cork gasket.) Check all connections. If you have the correct pressure, you get a good spray, and the HSI (Hot surface ignitor) glows, you may need a new photo eye. If you don't get a glow, get a new HSI.

Hope that helps.
MR.Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #32
hpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Gunk View Post
2: Make sure you have clean fuel, whether it is Kero, Diesel, or JetA.

Hope that helps.
I remember reading after purchasing my heater that it stated once you start with a particular fuel that you can't change to another. Is there anyway to go from burning kerosene to diesel?
Kerosene is very expensive and would be nice to burn diesel.
hpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #33
Streetbu

Kero, Diesel, or HHO will all work the same in the unit. Possible slight odor change from on to the other but all WILL fire if your unit is working correctly. To diagnose the issue you really need a 1/8" pressure gauge that reads 0-15psi. There will be a sticker on the unit somewhere that states what the pressure should be. Usually somewhere around 3-5.3 psi depending on the btu rating. The plastic screw to the right of where you temporarily install the gauge is your adjustment. Clockwise is higher pressure. Set your pressure FIRST. Even on units that run "good" the pressure is often incorrect and will cause odors when it is running.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #34
Jayayers

My 60A heater runs for about 5 minutes then shuts off. I restart it and it does the same thing repeatedly! What can be the problem??
Jayayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Charles (in GA)

For fuel pressures, etc, follow the link I posted above to reddyparts.com for a chart of air pressures for different models, and other throubleshooting tips.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote