Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #21
Displaced Hokie

Default Re: Best Used Tractor for Gentleman Farmer?

I also like the Ford 2000/3000/4000 models. Very good utility tractors...

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1271490

Buy the best you can and upgrade as needed. USA if possible. To heck with tool snobs!

Displaced Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #22
Displaced Hokie

I think anything in the 1960's up is considered modern and is in play for you. Look at what dealers are around, and that may be a consideration. If you want a loader (and you probably will) look for a tractor with a loader already or make sure the tractor you are looking at is equipped hydraulically to handle one.

The smaller the tractor, the more 4wd is important. It increases the pulling power by 30% or more, and helps with a loader.

Gas/diesel depends on how much you use it. Diesel is far more fuel efficient, but the flip side is cost (purchase and repair). Gassers are fine but under heavy loads they will burn more than you think. A 30hp gas tractor will probably burn @ 3 gallons per hour. A diesel half that.

And in general, a "good" tractor is going to cost more than you think. As new costs go up, the old one's are rising as well. I'd recommend staying with your major brands, such as John Deere, Ford, International, Allis Chalmers. If looking a little newer, throw in New Holland, Kubota, and Case/IH. JD will have the best resale, but will also have the highest entry cost.

I ran a tractor dealership a few years ago Bull, so if you have specific questions hit me up!

Buy the best you can and upgrade as needed. USA if possible. To heck with tool snobs!

Last edited by Displaced Hokie; 07-08-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Displaced Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
ZRX61

A gentlemans tractor? There can be only one choice:

http://www.mrunix.net/tractor/

Now ya know what the "DB" in Aston Martin DB9 means...

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #24
kenners

A very good site with tons of information.
www.mytractorforum.com
Just hope I don't get banned from this site for sending you to another forum. :-)
kenners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #25
Zebu Fellenz

A few questions...

How many acres do you have?

What do you want to do with the land?

Do you have any hilly areas?

Do you foresee wanting a front end loader and/or backhoe?

In short what you want to do will have a great impact on what machine makes the most sense. If you'll be mowing 14 acres and having a garden on one acre you'll want completely different equipment than if you want to do half and half and have a large market farm type garden.

Without knowing any more I'd probably start by recommending a B or L series Kubota with 4WD and a front end loader.

Last edited by Zebu Fellenz; 07-08-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Zebu Fellenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #26
HookWorse

Send a message via Yahoo to HookWorse

What's your price range? That will narrow it down quickly.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #27
Heavy Metal Doctor

What tractor to buy (as others have said) really depends on what you want to do with it. It also depends on your budget and your local market.

Used? I guess it really depends on how used? If you're talking about something you will still have to finance, then I'd say you may as well go for brand new, name brand, compact with all the bells and whistles, w/warranty and good local service support. They offer the best deals anyway.
The good part of this is, any name brand tratcor will hold it's value. There's great debtae over this over on the tractor specific forums - but ultimately, it comes down to the fact that when you factor in having the tratcor available 24 / 7, then even that brand new item will cost much less than renting one each time when you must have it to get work done (can't get one rented in the middle of the night when you have an emergency that calls for it.)

Now, if you talking about used like a cheap guy like me...... I lived on / owned property beyond the average suburbanite home for about 10 years (just under 7acres) and got by fine with a truck for heavy pulling / snow plowing, and assorted lawn tractors for cutting grass and light work. Therefore, I was not willing to make a payment on a tractor that just makes the work easier / more convenient....I don't have to keep up with the Jonses -- like my neighbor who just baught a huge Grand L series Kubota with a cab, loader, and 6 foot snow blower (snow blower?? Really?? We get 4" inches of snow 3 times a winter with the rare 18" blizzard that stops the whole state once every 7 or 8 years )...anyway, I found the average in our area was about 4 to 6 k cash for something like an old (late 80's / low 90's years) 25 - 30 hp name brand tractor - usually with a loader. Add anothr grand for 4x4 and add more for newer / less hours on the clock. I had to really search to find a stripped down 2wd drive Kubota L2350 that was just enough to do what I wanted (garden work) for $2500. The dealer wasn't even advertising it since it was stripped down - all people want in our are loaders and 4x4.

Overall , my advice on older used tractors would be to try to stick to name brand - only go for grey market or off brand stuff after some good research shows you the support is there to suit you (my Dad never cared that parts where mail order only for his little grey market Yanmar - he was never in that much of a hurry and it didn't need much anyway). Ive seen some great looking deals on off brand stuff - until you realize it's cheap 'cause the company that made it is out of business .....good luck getting any parts or service help....do your research online before buying.

Another note - If your considering auctions - I gave up on them years ago. I know they are still good in pure farming areas, but if your in farm country on the edge of suburbia (like me), then everything that's any good sells high to city people who just moved out there.

Again, local market makes all the difference - your results may be much different than mine. Good luck!

Last edited by Heavy Metal Doctor; 07-08-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Heavy Metal Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #28
theoldwizard1

Green is good. Green is expensive.

I think Ford 8N/9N are cool but forget them unless all you want to do is cut grass/weeds.

Get 4wd if you have soft soil or spring mud.
theoldwizard1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #29
036.6turbo

Well I'll throw my two cents in, I just hauled my dad's Alis Chalmers home from up north. We are going to sell it. It has been in the family since 1983, and has never missed a beat. We used it to pull up tree stumps, and help clear land. After that it was basicly a toy, used for hay rides and pulling firewood home from the woods. I hate to see it go, but he is selling the property, and no longer has a need for it. To be honest, the way his health is now, I don't think he could even climb on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc 039.jpg (149.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg misc 153.jpg (153.9 KB, 44 views)
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #30
Bill Crowell
Banned

I like my Ford 8N. (8N, 2N or 9N) It was cheap, very well-built and high quality, easy to repair, made to be repaired, great web resources are available for parts and repair, and all the parts are available. $2,000 tops for one that runs well and has good tires. If it has bad rear tires or mechanical problems, you should only pay about $1,000.

It doesn't have live hydraulics, but you can add them pretty easily.

You don't want to use a front loader with an 8N, though. Too heavy with no power steering, and it increases the overall weight too much for the low horsepower available.

You can do a lot more with an 8N than just cut grass. My implements include a box scraper, rock rake, spike-toothed harrow, posthole auger and a disc. Back in the 40s and 50s, farmers did all their work with an 8N, including pulling a 3-bottom plow.

Usually there will be many things to fix on an old 8N, which is OK if you do your own work and don't mind fixing old machines, but not so good if you are going to hire a mechanic to fix it. I enjoy working on antique cars and tractors. A completely blown engine will cost $1K-$2K to fix, so an 8N with a blown engine is worth about zip.

I never go to the Ford dealer (45 miles away) for parts. You can buy parts for the 8N much cheaper and more conveniently on the internet.

If you have more money that you are willing to throw at the project than I do, than probably you should buy a used Kubota.
Bill Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #31
gabeancounter

Massey Ferguson 240
Parts are cheap and easy to find. One of the best utility tractors ever built.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/grd/2406889560.html
gabeancounter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #32
carhunter

We use an MF 35 Deluxe for mowing and utility work. They have 3pt, most have live hydraulics, and the power steering is wonderful. But for someone working 10+ arcres, how about the MF 135 - they're popular around the world and have lots of parts support, and are generally easy to live with. There was a diesel version as well. 135s are probably a $3000-5000 tractor.
Both are light enough to be reasonably towed with an average trailer and 3/4 ton truck. Anything bigger will need heavier trailer and or truck.

Any Oliver 1850 diesel fans here?
carhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #33
Heavy Metal Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Crowell View Post
You can do a lot more with an 8N than just cut grass. My implements include a box scraper, rock rake, spike-toothed harrow, posthole auger and a disc. Back in the 40s and 50s, farmers did all their work with an 8N, including pulling a 3-bottom plow.
Right - and that brings back my point about what you'll use the tractor for / what equipment / features you need.

Farmers got by making thier living with basic 2wd tractors for many years before frontend loaders, power steering as whatnot became common. They where just happy it was better than horses / mules!
I see too much over-done advice on the tractor websites about this stuff - everyone thinks you have to get 4x4, a loader, and hydrostatic transmission and advise such to new tractor people, even those who just want to do some light work around thier small acreage of grass with a 100 foot long drive to scrape a little snow off of.
You can put together a set of 3-point attchments (pretty cheaply off of craigslist) to get done nearly anything that needs to be done on an occassional basis. IMHO, you only "need" a frontend loader if you are going to be conastantly moving material with a bucket - like caring for livestock would involve.
You also only really need 4x4 if you will be working in serious wet / mud OR for smaller frame tractors could use it. Bull, I believe you allready have a Bolens / Iseki -- Mine (G154) in 4x4 w/rear locked will not pull as strongly as the L2350 will with the rear unlocked -- big tires get the power to the ground better without slipping.
Heavy Metal Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #34
bookman51

You might look at the forum "Yesterday's Tractors." I think they have a section on buying old tractors. Opinions will vary but for pretty good and dependable tractors Kubota's are pretty good. There is also a Korean brand (prounouced something like coyote!) that some people like too. Now in buying a used one, it is like buying a used car, might be great by reputation but used badly by previous owner. The Ford 8N's have their limitations, but I swear one could build a new one from after market parts. Just about everything is available. And still thousands of out there still being used on acreages. John Deere's can be good and do have a good dealer systerm for parts, but they can be pricy. Also some of the older late 1950s and early 1960s Massery-Fergusons can be pretty good small acreage tractors. I have several old tractors and use them. I have Farmalls because they came down through the family. If I wanted a single tractor for lots of different uses for a small acreage, I would want live pto, good hydraulics, power steering, available parts and in the 30-40 horsepower range. I have a Farmall 340 that fits four of the five categories (parts are a little hard to get), but something like a Ford 650 or 850 from the late 1950s can fit the bill (some of the 600 and 800 series do not have live pto), but remember, you are dealing with 50 plus year old tractor). You probably can get a decent one for between $3000 and $4000 depending on your location; or you can go to the local New Holland/Case-IH dealer and get a new Boomer 8N with similar horsepower, but better hydraulics and four wheel drive and pay $30,000 plus, and closer to $40,000 if you want a loader on it.

Bookman

Last edited by bookman51; 07-08-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling other corrections
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #35
robertwhite

In 30 posts, only one person has even touched (barely) on the single most important question............Do you want a 4x4?

99% of the tractors mentioned in this thread are 2 wheel drive.

I have 15 acres of mostly flat land in pasture and orchard with heavy clay for dirt and could not live without my 4x412x11 tractor.

You also need to give a price range.
robertwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #36
38Chevy454

I have a 9N, it is good for what its limitations are. I would not recommend the 9N/2N/8N it if you really want to a lot of field work with plows and other equipment. It is good for nostalgia, simple as dirt design and easy parts. The big thing that limits is not having live hydraulics. You also need an overrunning clutch on the PTO for safety - so the implement momentum does not continue to push the tractor when you put in the clutch. Also limited to 2WD, if you get in a lot of sloppy mud or limited traction the 4WD capability is nice. No P/S on the N's. Think of the 9N/2N/8N as analogous to driving an old car: it will get you there, but not as much comfort, less efficiency or mindless activity as a new car.

Gasoline may cost more to run, but is much cheaper to fix than a diesel. Bought a new injection pump lately? For a small area and occasional use, the fuel cost differential is not enough to worry about.

My detached garage project:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66932

USA made high quality bear claw style latches - cheap:
http://www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #37
54FordPanel

Bull, is this for a gentleman farmer, or you?

My 82 Jeep Cherokee Restoration
54FordPanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #38
MScott

I bought a 1957 Ford 800 about 35 years ago with an front end loader, live PTO and 40 hp for $1500. It has done everything I have asked of it and is still running great. I have brush hogged, blown snow, plowed, disked and harrowed fields, lifted motors, logs and rocks and hauled you name it. It doesn't owe me a penny.
MScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #39
s_ontario

some suggestions you should run from LOL
and i think your a teacher yeah ? you should just hire it done :P~
you didn't say if you will need tractor to push snow in winter
or if you want to grow larger scale veggie garden

Look at a Farmall super A will run for ever can get cultivator for signal row crops a plow,belly mower for larger lawn areas,a loader won't lift that much but could be used to push snow hard to get stuck and small size for storage

any of the small fords are good runners
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #40
RPH

Go to tractorhouse.com, I found utility tractors in the 40 hp range are reasonable in price.
It will allow you to search your local area and farther. Can also input price guidelines. Gives you a chance to research.
Also check yesterdays tractors site for real world advice.
RPH is offline   Reply With Quote