Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
jensputzier

Location: Leichlingen (near Wupppertal and Remscheid), Germany
Default Don't steal my tools

Very nice sign found at the historic dockyard in Chatham near London, England.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _28E7485.jpg (148.1 KB, 1170 views)

Jens Putzier, 42799 Leichlingen, Germany, info@jensputzier.com
http://www.jensputzier.com
http://www.knives-from-germany.com
jensputzier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Mad40er

Default Re: Don't steal my tools

That is awesome!
Mad40er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
soob

It's amusing that they were so verbose back then when paper (and signs and the like) cost so much more than they do today.
soob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
soob

Try this:

STEAL OR POSSESS
STOLEN TOOLS AND
YOU WILL BE FIRED!
PLEASE REPORT ANY
SUSPECTED THEFTS.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
hifi_hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soob View Post
It's amusing that they were so verbose back then when paper (and signs and the like) cost so much more than they do today.
Ironically, the overall literacy rate was likely a lot less.

Jim

The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
hifi_hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
AlchemyMetalworks

Quote:
Quote:
Try this:

STEAL OR POSSESS
STOLEN TOOLS AND
YOU WILL BE FIRED!
PLEASE REPORT ANY
SUSPECTED THEFTS.
You don't get it. People actually made an effort to COMMUNICATE back then.

The message was more about moral courage and less about illegality. There is a strong subliminal undercurrent in the above sign that the DECENT people should stick together and the wrongdoers should be burdened with the shame of their actions.

That was back when a man's word and his actions were still valued.

It amazes me how many people equate moral with legal. They aren't the same at all. There are laws which are immoral, and there are moral things that are illegal.

Nowadays all we care about is liability and proof of guilt. Without those, it's a free for all. Bad guys walk around with their heads hung high and decent people mumble under their breath saying "What can you do?"...this sign is proof that it wasn't always that way.

People used to actually look out for eachother and bolster themselves. Decency flourished. If only people could wrap their mind around such a concept and bring it back in fashion!

Last edited by AlchemyMetalworks; 08-19-2011 at 02:26 PM.
AlchemyMetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
soob

You've got to tell people stealing is wrong? That seems especially silly when they're the ones who are being stolen from.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
AlchemyMetalworks

Quote:
You've got to tell people stealing is wrong? That seems especially silly when they're the ones who are being stolen from.
No, the decent people know stealing is wrong. It's the fact that the union/trade/company is reinforcing the idea that shaming wrongdoers is actually SUPPORTED.

Makes a huge difference in morale and workplace atmosphere. Scumbags won't stay long in an environment like that, they get weeded out fast or find someplace where that shit will be tolerated.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
richfinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi_hokie View Post
Ironically, the overall literacy rate was likely a lot less.
You would be shocked, all my English Grandparents from poor backgrounds were avid readers, could produce beautiful handwriting and do any kind of math calculation without the aid of a calculator and recite all kinds of poetry rhymes/songs etc.

Many kids in Britain nowadays are incomprehensible, and can barely read and write, forget basic maths.

Our education system has collapsed
richfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
MartyO

I want to steal that sign!
MartyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
eddyyy302

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyMetalworks View Post
You don't get it. People actually made an effort to COMMUNICATE back then.

The message was more about moral courage and less about illegality. There is a strong subliminal undercurrent in the above sign that the DECENT people should stick together and the wrongdoers should be burdened with the shame of their actions.

That was back when a man's word and his actions were still valued.

It amazes me how many people equate moral with legal. They aren't the same at all. There are laws which are immoral, and there are moral things that are illegal.

Nowadays all we care about is liability and proof of guilt. Without those, it's a free for all. Bad guys walk around with their heads hung high and decent people mumble under their breath saying "What can you do?"...this sign is proof that it wasn't always that way.

People used to actually look out for eachother and bolster themselves. Decency flourished. If only people could wrap their mind around such a concept and bring it back in fashion!
HERE, HERE!!! You and I could be friends, I feel the same way on the issue and when I speak about it, no one seems to understand!

Dan
eddyyy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
bdkruger1
Banned

Angry Re: Don't steal my tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfinn View Post
You would be shocked, all my English Grandparents from poor backgrounds were avid readers, could produce beautiful handwriting and do any kind of math calculation without the aid of a calculator and recite all kinds of poetry rhymes/songs etc.

Many kids in Britain nowadays are incomprehensible, and can barely read and write, forget basic maths.

Our education system has collapsed

Same holds true in the states.
bdkruger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
PCO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkruger1 View Post
Same holds true in the states.
Canada two. Sorry, I meant to ... or is it too? I know it's won of them.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

Quote:
No, the decent people know stealing is wrong. It's the fact that the union/trade/company is reinforcing the idea that shaming wrongdoers is actually SUPPORTED.

Makes a huge difference in morale and workplace atmosphere. Scumbags won't stay long in an environment like that, they get weeded out fast or find someplace where that shit will be tolerated.
It reminds me of the military, where this attitude is very much supported and encouraged, and yes the dirtbags do get weeded out relatively fast. If you get the masses to NOT IGNORE the seemingly petty crimes, the world gets much easier.

Very nice sign btw. Is that an original or repop? If someone makes a repop of it I just might have to add it to my wall.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
AlchemyMetalworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanengineer View Post
It reminds me of the military, where this attitude is very much supported and encouraged, and yes the dirtbags do get weeded out relatively fast. If you get the masses to NOT IGNORE the seemingly petty crimes, the world gets much easier.
That's exactly where I developed that notion. We police ourselves and eachother, very rarely do things progress to the point that the MPs get involved.

People are too passive and don't want the responsibility of being actively involved in their day-to-day community...be that the culture of work, their neighborhood, their schools, or whatever else is important to them.

They shuffle that responsibility onto "authorities" and then wonder how/where/when/why those authorities got corrupt. It happens because those "authorities" grabbed what power they could once that initial power was given to them.

The only way to avoid those scenarios is to be a very active individual in the course of your life...I'm not talking political activism or picketing, I'm talking about simple things like not allowing dirtbags to get a foothold in the first place.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
porphyre
Banned

Quote:
Sigged.
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
35mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyO View Post
I want to steal that sign!
I noticed that it is held in place by 10 fasteners. Probably to stop people like you.
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
MartyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mm View Post
I noticed that it is held in place by 10 fasteners. Probably to stop people like you.
10 fasteners wouldn't stop me!
MartyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
patrick66

People back then were actually MORE literate, as schools actually taught people how to read, write, and comprehend the English language. This is not the case these days. Put that sign in front of a recent college graduate and ask him to read it, AND tell you what is means. I'll bet many can't comprehend the meaning of the sign. I deal with the results of government schools every day, teaching 18-30 year olds. It is very disconcerting, at times.

Plus, people then had real respect for each other and their property. They actually lived the Golden Rule. People understood there were consequences to be paid for their actions. It is indeed a different world today, and NOT for the better.

Last edited by patrick66; 08-19-2011 at 05:03 PM.
patrick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfinn View Post
Many kids in Britain nowadays are incomprehensible,
I think you'l find that's just in Yorkshire

Someone need to get hold of one of the companies that make the repro signs & have them do a run of those..

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote