Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
wdlfbio

Default Time for real lights in my 20x32x11' garage

The garage is attached and insulated, but not heated. There are currently 6 basic porcelain incandescent ceiling fixtures with 100W light bulbs and I have nowhere near enough light.

4 of them are out in the open and two are directly above my 4'x8' ceiling storage racks that are full of stuff, as you can see...

I'm getting a little back surgery for a herniated disc tomorrow, and I'll have about 2 weeks recovery time to plan a few things for when I'm healed up. This is one of them. So I'm thinking I'll just replace the 4 in the open as the other two don't really help much anyway. Can I just remove the basic screw-in fixture that is present and mount some 4-8' Flourescent fixtures? I'm assuming there are the blue plastic boxes under the existing fixtures. Or is there a fitting that actually lets me just screw right into the porcelain fixture? All 6 lights are on the same circuit.

What I do not want are noisy or flickering lights.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
gdmclnh

Default Re: Time for real lights in my 20x32x11' garage

There are porcelain screw in plugs that you can put in place of the bulbs that allow you to plug the flourescent lights directly into them. That's the easiest way.
gdmclnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
eljefino

They make NEMA 5-15 (standard) outlets with round covers. Those would look snazzy and the ground would be good for flourescent lights-- they really like having them.

Get T8 bulbs and electronic ballasts and you shouldn't have any hum or obnoxiousness. The big box stores may still have T12 fixtures with magnetic ballasts on closeout, tempting but trashy.

I'd throw some low watt CFL bulbs in the edison bases over your stuff. Don't need much light and the heat from the incandescents probably isn't good for the stuff.
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Norcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmclnh View Post
There are porcelain screw in plugs that you can put in place of the bulbs that allow you to plug the flourescent lights directly into them. That's the easiest way.
The fixtures are required to be grounded, your method will prevent that.
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
regguy1

I had 3 bulbs in my garage, you can see what I did in the video link below
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
wdlfbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by regguy1 View Post
I had 3 bulbs in my garage, you can see what I did in the video link below
Wowser. That's a lot of lights

I can handle the wiring part of removing the porcelain fixtures and adding the 4 or 8' ballasts. But if it's not necessary, I don't need to add extra work. The grounding concern makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. I like the idea of 4'ers for the ease of mounting, and I suspect they'd be less expensive initially and per bulb? Anything should be much better and brighter.

Thanks for the input.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote