Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
formanbob

Default Re: Damn, that hurt ! (not for squeemish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
Get that ring off your finger fast before it swells up and you need to cut it off.
what?
formanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
DoyleDee

Good thing I'm eating...... Nah, really..it doesn't bother me- sometimes I have a stomach of steel. Blood rarely bothers me.

Hope everything turns out ok for you guys.. last injury I had was while lubing my motorcycles chain and my thumb got caught up in the sprocket... Went right through the nail by the meat part of the thumb.
DoyleDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
darkk

Got mine in a jointer planer back in 1963, I was planing a body on an electric guiter...of course I had to remove the safety gate to get it in there. It happens so fast you can't even imagine. I lost about 5/8ths of the tip of my right ring finger to that damned thing..it was hamburger in a split second. No, I didn't learn my lesson either.
darkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #24
Lippyp

My thumbnail has just reached the end of my thumb again after I gave it a right good whacking with a hammer back in November last year. Not cut any bits off since then thank goodness.

Lover and hoarder of scruffy old tat

My garage build thread. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=131797
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #25
TommyD

Always pay attention to where your hands are.

I worked on progressive dies in power presses for years.....used to have this one idiot fling scrap at the press I was working in, he would start laughing when my hands would come flying out of the tool/press.... until one day my ball peen hammer whizzed past his head
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #26
djjsr

Router bits aren't made to cut through nails.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
2CRUZ

Come on guys suck it up. Wash it off with some cold water and get back to work.
2CRUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
Mr.Magoo

Clean it up, apply some super glue, start routing again.
Mr.Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
A**holes Garage

shop towel and duct tape, keep on workin
A**holes Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
pist0lpete

OK, since it's a router story, I'll share what happened to this old guy I used to work with. He was fixing a router, had the base off and the motor on his bench with a bit in it. Fixed the wiring, plugged it in, the switch was on, router jumped and started spinning on it's side... for the sake of decorum I will only say that the router cut off the tip of one tool NONE OF US EVER want to lose... think BENCH HEIGHT... yeah. He even offered to SHOW me but I took him at his word... NO pics to back this one up!
pist0lpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #31
Mr.Magoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pist0lpete View Post
OK, since it's a router story, I'll share what happened to this old guy I used to work with. He was fixing a router, had the base off and the motor on his bench with a bit in it. Fixed the wiring, plugged it in, the switch was on, router jumped and started spinning on it's side... for the sake of decorum I will only say that the router cut off the tip of one tool NONE OF US EVER want to lose... think BENCH HEIGHT... yeah. He even offered to SHOW me but I took him at his word... NO pics to back this one up!
Well pistOLpete, I really believe your story. I could only happen that way when your more interested getting the damn thing to work again, sure as hell did. The router probably hit the floor after cutting his wieness and broke never to be used again. Did he ever say if his wieness still works, even though you did not want to look?
Mr.Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #32
805gregg

That's nothing, when I was building my boat i bought some dried clear Douglas Fir from a guy that bought it to build a wooded boat. He sold me the wood because he had already cut off 3 fingers and decided to quit before he lost some more.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
Steevo

Zeke nailed it with the "don't bleed on the customer's carpet" statment.
I once was laying carpet pad upstairs as my partner was rolling out carpet in another room downstairs. I hammer-tacked my thumb, right through the thumbnail, securely to the sub-floor.
As I was looking around me for something that might be useful to pry the staple loose from the floor, and free my thumb, the homeowner walked into the room, and all she could scream at me was "you're bleeding on my floor!".
Fortunately, my partner heard her screaming from where he was, and came running to see what was wrong.

Carpe Mañana
(The official motto of Procrastinators Anonymous)

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #34
zjrog

2 years ago, wasn't thinking about anything but the pounding migraine I had. Tried everything to get the bolt off the vibration dampener on my Ford Explorer... Done this before, but let the breaker bar be pulled out of my hands. This time, my hand was in the way. BAD practice, never do it again and my son learned a valuable lesson at my expense... 14 stitches outside, 29 inside. 9 months to regain feeling down the side of my index finger. No muscles or tendons seriously damaged. COULD have been MUCH much worse.

The stitches were removed the day before my son's wedding, I shook hands with folks with this hand wrapped in gauze. BIG fun.

Yeah, dumb sh!t me... Oh yeah, completely forgot about that migraine.

When it comes to Heroes, RENEGADES are mine!
zjrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #35
ajchien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczygan View Post
It's a bad sign when you stop in the middle of an accident, with mangled fingers, to photo and post it to GJ!
That's going in my sig file.
.... The fact that this is diametrically opposed to any philosophy that I actually have or that it's an assertion not even factually supported by what I have written will be lost on you because we're just strangers lapping at each other's keyboard vomit.
ajchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #36
ajchien

Quote:
Originally Posted by pist0lpete View Post
You don't know how happy I am that you don't have pics to post.
.... The fact that this is diametrically opposed to any philosophy that I actually have or that it's an assertion not even factually supported by what I have written will be lost on you because we're just strangers lapping at each other's keyboard vomit.
ajchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #37
monster1

Soak it "in cider!"
monster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
pist0lpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster1 View Post
Soak it "in cider!"
LOL monster, one of my favorites; wish I had thought to say it first!!

Oh, and my understanding was that the old man's member was still totally functional, and that router ended up in the dumpster, fixed or not!
pist0lpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
epdarks

My brother and law lost 2 fingers in a snowblower incident 2 weeks ago. Now quit whining!
epdarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #40
Ben7203

Lost a few trees in a storm about 5 years ago. The wife and I cut up the wood and cleaned the mess up. But we still had the stumps to deal with. I made a few calls to get someone to come out to grind them up. Got a quote for $75 per stump and then a huge truck pulls in the driveway and two guys stumble out of the truck. I can't call them rednecks, that would insult the redneck nation. They both have an obvious buzz on and the old man has his hand in a newish bandage. There's blood coming thru the bandage in a couple of spots, so he has a plastic grocery bag over it. Earlier that morning they were working and somehow his hand got tangle up in one of those chainsaws with a big loop in it. So, he goes to the store to get bandages and beer to kill the pain. He quoted $40 per stump. I went with the other guy
Ben7203 is offline   Reply With Quote