Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #61
Frank The Plumber

Default Re: Any former Amish on here?

Former is not possible. Lest ye be damned.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #62
93L#3008

Amish Crew will be putting up my Pole barn in late April. Lots of Amish and Mennonite in SW Indiana. Had a local Amish builder build custom cabinets for me and do some stonework as well. Very pleased with their cost and quality.
93L#3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #63
chris142

Ive never seen one in person.just pics in national geographic
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #64
DaleK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
I have read more then a few pole barn builds where the owner has hired a amish crew to construct and raise the barn or pole barn. All were very interesting and not one person had a bad experience with the crews that performed the work. All were very hard workers, skilled at there trade and quick with there time.
I believe there are Amish crews that are traveling around constructing in the north east. They come to your property and do not leave until they are done. Wish the were out west, i would give them a ton of work.
There's a crew that's been here several times now, bring them in on a bus. They have one guy about 20 who does ALL the sawing, every cut on every building. Right arm is so much more muscled than his left that he looks like a hunchback, saw him cut through a 2x6 by hand faster than most people could do it with a skilsaw.
Pat Mustard: It won't fit in mine
DaleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #65
cdseven95

If you have time.. Google Amish puppy mills. Sad stuff.
cdseven95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #66
kissmeimgerman

Watched that same show on PBS, thought it was pretty interesting. Very surprised how many young people join the church when given the choice.
kissmeimgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #67
22rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmeimgerman View Post
Very surprised how many young people join the church when given the choice.
When to not join means losing everything you know, it suddenly looks a lot more attractive than it would to you and I.
22rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #68
22rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
Go to Lancaster County, PA and you can see them in their natural habitat. Please don't feed them though.
22rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #69
Steve in SoCal

There are several Brethren Churches around Hutchinson, I have often wondered what kind of reception I would get pulling up in my red carriage. See my avatar.

Steve
Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #70
2chipped

They're are many misconceptions regarding Mennonites /Amish.

Menno's split from the catholic church in Switzerland (the town of Oberholzer is from my mothers side) in the 1600's then moving on through germany and the Netherlands due to religious persecution .
After immigration thru the 1700's to America, Jacob Ammond split off to start the Amish.

Both groups are pacifists who will not serve in the army .
The bishop helped me sign my selective service form as an conscientious objector which, when drafted I could work in anywhere except anything battle related....which also included a form to opt out of social security.

I was raised Mennonite who are as diverse as baptists.

Vehicles .....all black (including wheels and bumpers, no chrome anywhere) or some have to drive 2 yr old and older vehicles.

Tractors....steel wheels only, or rubber tired, ...cabbed, and no cab.(my coworker who was formerly Amish rode 20 miles to work on a 135 Massey that would go 45 mph=top gear was changed)

All married amish and some menno men wear beards and no mustaches ...some mennos allow no facial hair...others can do as they please.

All Amish and some menno girls and women have their head covered with a veil/bonnet made of either cloth or what looks like white window screen called a "covering " some menno's wear nothing to show their submitting to their husband/father as "the leader "who are under the preachers who are all under God.

Churches are set in a group of 2-30 churches called a conference...with each having in order of importance 1 bishop.1 to 3 preachers and 1 to 3 deacons who visit the sick,the elderly,etc.

The Amish have church services at homes only....mennos have church buildings.

Some Amish allow no electric,only gas light and candles ..some pull a Diesle engine to run farm implements (hay baler for example)with horses...they will have a honda gas/big Diesle running a line shaft/hydraulic /air compressor to run a wringer washing machine, blender,tablesaw etc for the house and/or shop.

I grew up wearing homemade barn door pants with no zippers, snaps only (think of bib overalls sideways with dbl the snaps and dbl the bib) suspenders,no tv,no radio,no 8 tracks/tapes/records(this was 1980 for crying out loud) we had all black vehicles wi no pinstripes,no soft tops(bro had an ss 396 chevelle lol) and it was the only life I knew that existed.
Life in a bubble is great till you figure out there is life outside and all that no-noing starts chaffing.
Leaving did not cause shunning for me,however my friend who left the Amish can visit.... but depending on how dogmatic the family member is they will not speak to or eat at the same table.
Leaving causes a major identity crisis because your family treats you like a 2nd class citizen even tho they're the ones with a corncob up their butt.

I could go on and on,but I didn't want to sound to bitter.

I work for one and around them all the time and they're great "individuals"......but as a group???

Sent from my Milestone PLUS using Tapatalk

Oh and remember "God uses SO tools to fix all the chariots in Heaven".
2chipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #71
Heavy Metal Doctor

Back in the 70's, I lived on farms in Lancaster County up till I was 7 or 8 -- I just remember the stories always floating around about one of the Amish teenagers getting wild and buying a car and upsetting his whole family....or Dad making joking complaints that he wished he could work us kids hard as the Amish families do to theirs -- it was nothing to see what looked like a 10 YO kid driving a team of 12 horses plowing a field....and occasionally falling off the plow and getting killed.....Dad always said "That's why they have so many kids, there's another to take his place at the reigns"....
I also remember the smell on the school bus which came from those kids. They all had to do extensive barn-chores before school and smelled like horse / cow shit. Thankfully they went to their own school so they didn't have to ride all the way to town.
All joking aside, they where good neighbors -- it was a good community I now miss as an adult.
Heavy Metal Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #72
1991Syclone

Even the Amish need to retire to Florida:

http://www.sarasotafl.org/article/pi...y-of-sarasota/

After seeing Yoder's on the Food Network, went there to eat one night. Not as good as I thought it would be but there was a line out the door. I regularly see some of the Amish on their bikes when I'm going to work. Heck, one time I saw a woman dressed in an Amish outfit driving a mini van and talking on a cell phone.
1991Syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #73
Even Steven
Banned

I dunno....I kinda feel sorry for them. I mean, they live in their own little bubble and seem to have very limited knowledge of the world around them. If living a simple (and clean/pure) life means that I have to limit my knowledge of the world around me, I'd guess I'd rather be a sinner!
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #74
hh76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Steven View Post
I dunno....I kinda feel sorry for them. I mean, they live in their own little bubble and seem to have very limited knowledge of the world around them. If living a simple (and clean/pure) life means that I have to limit my knowledge of the world around me, I'd guess I'd rather be a sinner!
Sounds like they live the way I like to vacation, away from the chaos.
hh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #75
Even Steven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh76 View Post
Sounds like they live the way I like to vacation, away from the chaos.
True...it's nice to get away from it all while you're on vacation, but to be away from it all for your entire life isn't my idea of living. I don't have any first-hnad knowledge of the Amish, but it sure seems like they don't know very much about anything that happens outside of their own little community.
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #76
kartracer23

We have a lot of Amish here in Central Indiana. There was a buggy tied to a light pole @ CVS a few nights ago which I thought was pretty funny.

Not sure why I remember this from over 20 years ago, but here's a David Letterman Top 10 list from 1989. I like #3:

Top 10 Amish Pick-up Lines

10. Are thee at barn-raisings often?
9. If our religion didn't forbid the use of telephones, I would ask
thee for thy number.
8. Can I buy thee a buttermilk colada?
7. You've really got the build for that plain bonnet and shapeless
black dress.
6. Say, my favorite movie is "Witness" too!
5. Are thee a model?
4. There are so many phonies at these quilting bees. Let's go
someplace quiet.
3. Thy buggy has a bitchin' lacquer job.
2. I got Sinatra tickets.
1. Are thee up for some plowing?
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #77
FLACOMAN

Some of them come down to Homestead in the winter and sell the most amazing cinnamon rolls on earth.
FLACOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #78
Kevin54

Now around here Mennonites will drive. I don't know about the women but the men drive cars. Amish will not, but hire drivers to drive them. Similar but different. The so called Dunkards, I think they are further up north than where I am at.

I think one day it will change the more the younger ones are subjected to the ways that we live. They are very interested in our ways. Not only that, but the younger ones love to party. There has been quite a few lewd drunken Amish parties broken up with all young kids involved.

Another 50 years and they'll be like us.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #79
2mJps

I dont understand about them being cut off from the world? Most of them around me get the news paper and they all go on a lot of trips. I have been around amish most of my life. I have nothing to say bad about them but I would not want to live that way.
2mJps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #80
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93L#3008 View Post
Amish Crew will be putting up my Pole barn in late April. Lots of Amish and Mennonite in SW Indiana. Had a local Amish builder build custom cabinets for me and do some stonework as well. Very pleased with their cost and quality.
Be sure to ask them about their background and post it up for others. I'm sure they will explain it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
You won't see no Amish titties in National Geographic