Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
WhoWhatNow

Default 8020 extruded aluminum for workbench?

Anyone have any experience with using this stuff for workbenches? Doesnít seem as much fun as welding a bench up from steel tubing but it may be faster and lighter for mobile benches. We used it for mobile benches for instruments at my last job and it seemed pretty good. I was thinking of using it for a bench to hold my Buffalo drill press with a 26Ē Craftsman roll cab built into to it. I have a nice 2Ē thick butcher block for the top. Any experience or opinions?

http://www.8020.net/
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
ranger302

Default Re: 8020 extruded aluminum for workbench?

This is great stuf, but it can get expensive if you are the one buying it.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
larry_g

I've built a lot of stuff with 80/20, bosch, SKF, Ideal and others. If you use the proper weight and design your joints correctly then you can have some stout stuff. 80/20 comes in many different profiles so know what your doing. Also be aware that different brands of strut and fasteners will not always interchange. So if your ordering new then you will have few problems. If your ordering parts and pieces from ebay then you better know what you are doing.

on edit, if you design in a tool box be sure to allow for the connectors that will take room at the corners.
lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Last edited by larry_g; 03-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
bggrnchvy

It's a pretty cheap way to prototype stuff, but home use would be rather expensive.

I used to use it alot at a past company for testing concepts. We had some laying around from a job I repurposed along with some 110vac fans into a cooling stand for the Xbox.

Unless you have quite a bit laying around I would just go a more conventional route.
bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
y20dth

I've remember it always being refired to as "Bosch-Profiles". Is used a lot in constructing production lines in (automotive-)plants.
I remember it being really expensive, but having something like that in your garage as a workbench and stuff, really does look cool !
Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
bad_idea

I can buy steel a lot cheaper than that stuff with a little scrounging around. Wood is even cheaper. I am far too frugal to spend the kind of money that stuff commands.
bad_idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Hephaestus29

You mean like this: These are aluminum decking bars that are used for double decking loads in a semi trailer & are very strong.

Before you question my design of the bench there isn't going to be a 3rd leg support on the bottom, that piece is just there to hold up the cross piece for the lower shelf which isn't even at the exact height it will be in the picture. I might even turn the legs the other way too.

You can find these at semi junk yards, & i've even found some steel ones also.

Last edited by Hephaestus29; 03-10-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Hephaestus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
blue dog
Banned

I used the 80/20 stuff about 10 years ago for a commercial project building desks. It was easy to use. It was a good product and i had forgot about it until reading this.
blue dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
nerdstar

im too planning on using the stuff on my bench when i finish my current job and get paid. pricey is an understatement but would be good for my light stainless jobs. In saying that ill only be using it for a jig table for my tig welding
nerdstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
WhoWhatNow

How everyone has described it is pretty much how I remember it. Easy, really nice, but very expensive. I had a buddy try to tell me it would be cheaper than using steel. I'm pretty sure he's on crack. Just for giggles, I'm going to price out two benches I want to build with this stuff vs. steel. This company sells seconds and scraps on ebay so that may be cheaper than going to a distrubuter. I'll post results when I actually get a few minutes to do it.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
nerdstar

Ohhhh i miss read this post. What are people opinions of this for a Bench Top? for light weight stainless tig welding?
nerdstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
iroc409

Kind of old thread but I was looking at building a desk with it instead of wood. I'll probably just go wood due to cost (frame with glass top), but the 8020 would be neat. I've seen a lot of the stuff on eBay, and you can get nice chunks for cheap--good to know it's all different (yikes).

Anyway, some guy apparently thought he had a gold mine and was selling lengths of it for $.90 an INCH. He was also charging I think $30 per cut if you wanted lengths other than what he had (he said he didn't want to cut it).

His was a ton of it used, pulled from an office, and wasn't all in the best of shape.

I was finding 4' pieces for like $11 from 8020's eBay auctions, and that stuff I think is new (just cutoffs). He wanted almost $50 for used!
iroc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
blasto9000

I JUST built a few items out of 80/20 for a friend... workbench, storage rack and workbench. The price for the "1010" series (1x1 inch) was comparable to plain aluminum square tube, around $18 for an eight-foot length. Shipping costs from 80/20's eBay store are reasonable. UPS service is a bit slow though; takes at least a week for my parts to arrive from a same-state warehouse.

What got us on the cost were the small parts; adjustable feet, hinges, paneling, etc. 80/20 is not as inexpensive as wood, but compared to similarly-sized aluminum square tube it's very economical if your design only calls for 1010 extrusions and basic connectors.
blasto9000 is offline   Reply With Quote