Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
gasjockey

Default bufflo tools any good ??and do you see something good in this pile

so a guy is selling this tool box with tools for ten bucks i think i see a proto wreanch so thinking of checking it out he also has bufflo socket set and an unmarked set of sockets for another ten buck are they any good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 153831_20 k.jpg (67.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 88024h0_20.jpg (76.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 6879309_20.jpg (89.1 KB, 79 views)
gasjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
geologist

Default Re: bufflo tools any good ??and do you see something good in this pile

It's worth $10. It's my understanding that Buffalo once made tools for Sears.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
barcalo

Ten? GO FOR IT! I am not sure how anybody EVER passes on that many tools for $10. But then again that is the reason my place looks like Sanford and Son. The sockets are not a bad deal because its full sets. Not the best brands but if you need sockets those will do you well.
barcalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
jeffmoss26

Doo it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkling View Post
I really hope this guy drinks heavily then gets on this forum, otherwise, wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyEFI View Post
Chuck Norris carries an SK 3870. Just like my Grandpa did, and my Dad and I do.
jeffmoss26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
jjjrmx5

I've got a few buffalo wrenches and ratches laying around including a 3/8" air ratchet that need to be repaired and has little torque left in it.

My memory places Buffalo as a lower brand tool sold in the discount and old skool markdown/clearance stores in the 70's and 80's like Rinks, Van Leunens, Value City, Ontarios and China Town. Kind of the equal to today's HF tools. They were likely Asian sourced and sold as a low cost alternative to the Sears and truck brands.

I would never hesitate to use them as the quality is quite nice for the period, but of course, getting anything replaced is highly unlikely.

I don;t remember seeing the brand as a kid, but once I started tinkering on bikes and my first car, it remembered the small stash my father had to supplement his C'man tools.

Good luck.

Last edited by jjjrmx5; 03-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.
jjjrmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Mr Ratchet

When I was sixteen (30 yrs ago), there was a tool tent sale in town. Not having a lot of money at that age, but needing tools to hot rod my Cougar, I went there. I bought a set of the deep walls like you have in the middle picture, except 3/8" drive and some other stuff. When I got home, I used one of of the larger ones on my car. After some good presure, I heard a cracking sound. Great, I broke her loose!. I continued to turn the ratchet to remove the nut. After a little while I could not figure out why the nut was not off yet. Put my head under the car for a look see and the nut was in the same spot when I started. I looked at the socket and it was cracked in three different spots and allowed the socket to slip around the nut. So, what I thought was the bolt cracking loose was the socket breaking.

From that point on, I have never bought cheap junk tools. Not all was lost though. I learned a lesson first and foremost about quality. Even though the sockets are long gone, I still have the metal case they came in, which more than likely cost more than the sockets themselves. You can see it here in picture #3 on post 4879. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...t=466&page=244

I'd pass on them. You could use your ten bucks better by starting a fire or wiping your butt.

Last edited by Mr Ratchet; 03-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Mr Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
woody 73

Back in the day they sold them at Rinks for a few dollars, the Buffalo was the HF of it's Day. If you want to keep them as a spare in your car for emergencies then go for it; if they should ever get lost or stolen no big deal.

Carry them with you at the junk yard if you need to pull some parts and again don't worry about them getting lost.
woody 73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Kev442

The only Buffalo tool I bought was an oil wrench. Served me well for 25 years. Bought it in a bargain bin for $2. The $10 socket set is list price from 30 years ago, so I'd pass myself.