Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #41
toyotadriver

Default Re: Heat Pump Water heater?

The only issue you need to be aware of with the GE water heater is if you are trying to mount it in or near a living area. These water heaters are noisy. I have mine mounted in an attached garage and it works fine. However, I would not want it mounted inside the house where I live.
toyotadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #42
mpire

The water heater is going in the garage.

If its louder than the compressor, then I am going to have to return it.
mpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #43
1991Syclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpire View Post
Dad faxed over the receipt.

Total comes out to $714.70 for the water heater after taxes.

Not sure how he did that to be honest, but they are having an appliance sale.

Whatever, so that means its going to be $714.70-$650 for a grand total of $64.70.

I am not sure how that is even possible, but I am filing the paperwork now to get the energy credit.
Is the $650 rebate through OUC? Just wondering if FPL would have something comparable going on. Please do post the receipt when you get it. I might do something similar. Hell, we've just done the roof, going to be doing A/C, why not the water heater?
1991Syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #44
suntex01

Quote:
So my pops ordered the GE unit.

Got 15% off, so about $850.

Unit will be at the store on Wednesday of next week.

As soon as I get the receipt I will begin the filing paperwork.

Hey,
Where did your dad get the Geospring for 850?

I'm thinking about getting one as well.
Also, there's some problems with GE heat pump.
Take a look first before you buy.
suntex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #45
toyotadriver

Quote:
The water heater is going in the garage.

If its louder than the compressor, then I am going to have to return it.

It's much quieter than any air compressor that I've heard. It's just too noisy to be in a living area IMO.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #46
mpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntex01 View Post
Hey,
Where did your dad get the Geospring for 850?

I'm thinking about getting one as well.
Also, there's some problems with GE heat pump.
Take a look first before you buy.
Well, since its only costing me $64.70 I can afford the extended warranty.

Dad got it on sale at Sears. He also gets an employee discount because he worked there for 35 years. So the discounts add up. The retail price is $999.88 less the coupons and then the employee discount.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #47
mpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadriver View Post
It's much quieter than any air compressor that I've heard. It's just too noisy to be in a living area IMO.
One of the biggest benefits of this system will be augmenting the cooling of the air conditioner I just installed in the garage. I haven't actually used it on a hot day yet, but I did fire it up and test it.

Cool garage win.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #48
mpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Syclone View Post
Is the $650 rebate through OUC? Just wondering if FPL would have something comparable going on. Please do post the receipt when you get it. I might do something similar. Hell, we've just done the roof, going to be doing A/C, why not the water heater?
Yup. Its the new program for 2012. They changed the rules and now give rebates on different stuff than last year.

http://www.ouc.com/Libraries/RG_Docu...Form.sflb.ashx

What a perfect way to make everyone else pay to cool my garage!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #49
Dick in Wisconsin

Have you had it installed long enough to tell us how much money you're saving? What is the payback? Does it make economic sense in real life?
20x22 attached garage (Sears opener w/40w lite, one 75w ceiling lite on pull chain, no heat no running water no TV no AC, one GFCI outlet on main bath circuit in a lousy location), added 8 outlet (4 in each location w/GFCI), 10x20 detached garage (one outlet in wrong location & 75w ceiling light on pull chain), looking to build bigger garage.
#90 Heilig-Meyers Ford Taurus-1996 Suburban 1500-24' enclosed trailer-lots of tools
Wears sound warnings like a badge of honor
Dick in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #50
Greatbear

The heater has a pair of 120mm variable speed fans inside. The compressor is no louder than a refrigerator, what you will hear is the fans. If the unit is in a fairly warm (and especially humid) area, the fans will slow down since the subcooling will be met. If it is installed in a cool, dry area, the fans will often speed up a bit. The unit needs air circulation to work properly. This is a problem if someone installs the unit in a closet or small room and doesn't provide for additional air circulation. Since he's installing it in a garage in sunny Florida, he has the perfect environment.

Be sure to direct the condensate away from the garage. You can also use the water for plants, etc.
Greatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #51
toyotadriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbear View Post
The heater has a pair of 120mm variable speed fans inside. The compressor is no louder than a refrigerator, what you will hear is the fans. If the unit is in a fairly warm (and especially humid) area, the fans will slow down since the subcooling will be met. If it is installed in a cool, dry area, the fans will often speed up a bit. The unit needs air circulation to work properly. This is a problem if someone installs the unit in a closet or small room and doesn't provide for additional air circulation. Since he's installing it in a garage in sunny Florida, he has the perfect environment.

Be sure to direct the condensate away from the garage. You can also use the water for plants, etc.

The compressor is very quiet. The fans are not. But, not horrible though.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #52
Greatbear

The fans sound much like a larger computer server running a medium to high workload when the heater is running normal, they are the same fans! However, if the heater is trying to combat a freezing evaporator the things will scream.
Greatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #53
mpire

Well, it doesn't sound all that bad if you ask me.

Its supposed to arrive at the store tomorrow, not nearly as excited about installing it as I am about getting it for $65.

I am hoping that the water heater install will get me going on compressor air lines.

Last edited by mpire; 03-20-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #54
lzenglish

I have not read all the posts, but I did purchase one of these units 12 or so years ago used. The main reason was, that I'm all electric, and I was trying everything I could to squeeze a penny out of the source of my all electic power source. I had heard that the C.O.P. was 3 to one, and that sounded good to me verses my 1 to 1 electic HWH ratio. The units were very expensive, so I purchaseed a used one from a neighborhood that requied that they only be installed per code. The unit worked fine, but, here was my evaluation on it after a few short months. 1.) Way too many replacment moving parts to be cost effective in the long run. 2.) A couple of hot water solar panels would do the same heat gain at almost zero cost, of replacement parts verses these units. They are a little trickey in the winter, but I had a plan to duct warmer attic air since my garage is all sheet rocked in. That never happened.

Wayne

Last edited by lzenglish; 03-29-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
lzenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #55
mpire

Thanks for the input.

I still haven't picked it up yet. My friend wants one too, so I figured we could pick them both up at the same time since they weigh something like 200 lbs empty.

I special ordered the water heater stand, so it should arrive in the next week or so.

I am planning out the plumbing of the new water heater. I am going to install the heat risers, then two cutoff valves, and then add a couple of T fittings so I can plumb in the old water heater in the event that the water heater starts giving me issues. I will probably just drain the old one and stick it in my storage garage just in case I need it. I can hear the wife yelling at me already if it ever has any issues.

I wonder if I can fit a shallow well pump under the water heater stand. I will have to look into pump dimensions while I have everything moved.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #56
mpire

Picked up the water heater. The box is slightly HUGE. I didn't realize how big this thing is.

Going to have to re-think the whole air compressor location and plumbing.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #57
pop pop

Quote:
Well, the other hot water heater I was looking at is a 50 gallon unit priced around $450-500.

So its a $700 premium for this water heater. If it saves me $35 a month, then it will take me 20 months to re-coupe the expense. There is more than enough heat in my garage, that's for sure.

Plus it will keep the garage cooler, and that's a big plus.
Don't forget to include the repair costs for 20 years!
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #58
brewchief

I was at a job a few weeks ago that had one of those, didn't seem any different in size then a reg 50 gal gas. Open up the box, it may have a ton of packing in there to protect it on the boat ride from china.
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #59
mpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop pop View Post
Don't forget to include the repair costs for 20 years!
If this thing breaks, I will be going back to the old one. I am just going to drain it and put it in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewchief View Post
I was at a job a few weeks ago that had one of those, didn't seem any different in size then a reg 50 gal gas. Open up the box, it may have a ton of packing in there to protect it on the boat ride from china.
I saw the made in china logo when I pulled it out of the truck.

Seems really stupid that the government is basically giving me money to buy a Chinese product from an American company that is supposed to be creating jobs here and not in China. Good thing the head of GE leads the president's jobs council!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #60
walrus

If you want a Heat Pump hot water heater, this one made in US, retrofit to existing tank. I have an earlier model and it saved me 30 bucks a month, not including the AC benefits in summer and dehumidification of my basement.
http://www.nyle.com/water-heating/geyser-r/

This one is easy to install, just plugs in wall outlet and some easy plumbing. Don't like GE because it includes tank, what happens when tank leaks?
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote