Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
bc_stang

Default Is 14'x24' too small for 2 post hoist install?

I am in planning stage to build a garage.My house comes with attached 22'x22' garage and i would like to build single car garage 14'x24' behind existing 2 car garage.Width wise i can only go 14' wide MAX. Do you guys think its gonna be too narrow once i install 2 post hoist?The hoist i am looking at is 11' wide at the narrowest position(rotary). I would like to know if someone has similar garage (14'wide) with a hoist inside that can share their experience. thanks everyone!!!
bc_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
p_mori7

Default Re: Is 14'x24' too small for 2 post hoist install?

Don't forget that your interior dimension will be about 8" or 12" inches less because of wall thickness. The lift will still work, but your room to manouver around the posts will be restricted somewhat.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
darkk

Our 4 post HD9XW is extra long, extra wide, extra high is in a bay 30' x 14'6" to the center of the overhead beam to the outside wall. plenty of room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liftjeff.jpg (98.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg web lift.jpg (91.0 KB, 57 views)
darkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
bc_stang

P_mori- yes I was thinking the same thing about losing 8-12" in framing. Luckily my house is 2x6 construction and 1 wall would be shared between house and garage. Other wall will be 2x4 so I will only lose 4" outta 14' width.

Dark- I think in your case it seems like theres lotta room since by the looks of it you got wider garage then 14'. I have seen 4 post lifts around 8-10' width but I would really like to get 2 post as it makes working on vehicle lot easier.. For example pulling transmission out of fwd cars.
I agree though it's still doable having 11.5' hoist inside 14' wide garage.. Worst come to worst it would have both posts touching garage walls and I would just have to maneuver inside post opposed to outside of posts when vehicle is raised. I just figured having a garage that's lil tight to work around would be MUCH better working on the floor with no house !! LoL
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
gbrett

it will fit but thats awfull tight for doing anything or tools such as oil drains trans jack ect
gbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
bc_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrett View Post
it will fit but thats awfull tight for doing anything or tools such as oil drains trans jack ect
Yep thats one of my concerns as well..at my work(honda dealership), i have 24'x14' size bay to work in.Most of the vehicles i work on leave about 5-6' infront of the the vehicle.Thats where i have my tool box and work bench setup. It seems very roomy because i have open space on both side of the hoist posts.I can just imagine having tool boxes,welding equipment,work bench,pressure washer,battery charger, storage shelvings...plus parts for my stangs all of a sudden it seems like i would fill up that space pretty quick.Not to mention i am planning on buying drill press/tig welder/hydraulic press.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
bams50

My personal opinion: If I had your garage and had the height to FULLY lift a vehicle, I would get the lift and learn to be creative with the limited space. Maybe get a shed for some of the parts and bulky equipment. Sure, not ideal, but worth it to have a lift, IMO.

If you have enough room to work on the wheels/suspension, including room to swing a hammer or use a pry bar, I'd go for it personally. Still, your money, and you know what you can tolerate.
bams50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
darkk

One way to find out. Pull your car in a garage, tape lines on the floor where the lift would be, the tools, jacks etc. Then try walking around everything. And my garage is bigger, it's 30x30x13. My point was that the lift will fit in the 14' width, the length is what is going to be tight.
darkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
fordcragar

Talk to whoever you are buying the lift from. I bought two used Rotary lifts from a dealer; which the price included the installation, about five years ago. My garage is 30'x40' long and they installed both lifts on one side of the garage. So they installed both lifts in about 20' of the garage. There is a minimum width that they use for installation. My Chev Silverado pickup fits on the lift, but it is tight; which is better than not being able to fit on there at all.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
DHS

I had a 2 post lift in my small shop and what a pain in the butt. Anytime you had to work on vehicle and did not need it on lift the damn post and arms were in the way. Rarely would a lift come in handy for me so I say good riddance. My shop is 20'x36'.
DHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
bc_stang

Hm you guys are giving me lot to think about for sure. Here's whAt I came up with... I have my mustang parked in my attached garage. I am going to tape off an imaginary wall and see what 14' wide space looks with car parked inside.
If It seems like its doable then I would just go ahead with 14x24 garage and build 12x12 shed on the other side of the property to store miscellaneous parts/engine hoist/engine stands,etc.

If it seems like its gonna be tight, I would continue on building bigger garage like I originally planned (26x24) but with an odd shaped wall on one end due to my pie shaped lot. Negatives for this plan is that
1) would req extra permits/inspections for power
2) extra expense to run power/water from the main house(200+feet)
3) setback would have to be approved by city that will take lots of time

If I build it right behind my current garage, yes garage is much smaller but I don't have to deal with lots of headaches. Everything is right there(power/water). City won't say anything about setbacks, etc= easily approval.

Last edited by bc_stang; 03-17-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Rentawrench

I found out that if you put the lift UP,you'll not trip over the arms . I'm 5'10" an I can walk under the arms.

Put EVERYTHING in the shop on wheels.

I think you'll Love the lift an work around by moving the tools you need to use for each job.
Rentawrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
bc_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentawrench View Post
I found out that if you put the lift UP,you'll not trip over the arms . I'm 5'10" an I can walk under the arms.

Put EVERYTHING in the shop on wheels.

I think you'll Love the lift an work around by moving the tools you need to use for each job.
Yes i was also thinking about that at my work today.We have asymmetrical hoist at work that raises 6'0".I am 6'5" but i am planning on buying a hoist that 'raises arms 7' high. This way when hoist is not in use, i can always raise it up in case i need to work on a car that doesnt need a hoist.

also the reason i would go with asymmetrical hoist is so that it can be installed further inside the garage, leaving me enough room to work on a car that doesnt need a hoist(for example interior work,heater cores,etc)...especially if i increase the length of the garage another 2 feet so its 14x26.