Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Stoughton-MA-garage

Default Greg Smith/Atlas BP9000 lift?

I am getting ready to purchase a 2-post baseplate lift for my home garage and am considering the Atlas BP9000 lift from Greg Smith. I like the specs and price but am concerned about the lift's lack of ALI certification. anyone have some input on these lifts? I would love to save $1500 or so compared with buying a Bend Pac or other similar ALI certified lift, but if safety is any issue I am not willing to risk it.

Also, anyone visiting the Greg Smith website? They have an interesting video in which they test a "competitors lift" and it fails when they test it to 1.5 times the rated capacity of 10,000 lbs. Great video, but my beef is that they don't do a similar test on their own lifts. How do we know that Greg Smith's lifts are any better or worse? When I called up Greg Smith to ask about this they didn't know the answer. Greg Smith himself called me back. He basically told me that he sells thousands of these lifts and they never have failed. I want them to state in writing that their lifts are tested to some level of safety standards and can pass the 1.5 times rated capacity test, but he flatly told me they never would. When I stressed the importance of this basic engineering safety factor test he pretty much told me to buy another lift for twice the price and hung up on me. I was not very impressed with his personality.
Stoughton-MA-garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
LSVLance

Default Re: Greg Smith/Atlas BP9000 lift?

Well, I'm impressed with my Greg Smith Atlas lift. I was looking at both cheaper and more expensive lifts...and feel like I got the best priced middle of the road lift for the money.

Those guys at Greg Smith are busy, but they take care of their customers. And they sell a quality lift.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Stoughton-MA-garage

Thanks for your input. Very impressive shop you built. If it is good enough for your level of expectation, then it is likely good enough for me!

I built a 34 x 26 3-car detached garage about 10 years ago. I'm still trying to outfit it the way I want including a lift. Wish I had the ceiling height you have, I have a bit over 10' so I must go with a baseplate style lift for low ceilings.
Stoughton-MA-garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Perryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoughton-MA-garage View Post
I am getting ready to purchase a 2-post baseplate lift for my home garage and am considering the Atlas BP9000 lift from Greg Smith. I like the specs and price but am concerned about the lift's lack of ALI certification. anyone have some input on these lifts? I would love to save $1500 or so compared with buying a Bend Pac or other similar ALI certified lift, but if safety is any issue I am not willing to risk it.

Also, anyone visiting the Greg Smith website? They have an interesting video in which they test a "competitors lift" and it fails when they test it to 1.5 times the rated capacity of 10,000 lbs. Great video, but my beef is that they don't do a similar test on their own lifts. How do we know that Greg Smith's lifts are any better or worse? When I called up Greg Smith to ask about this they didn't know the answer. Greg Smith himself called me back. He basically told me that he sells thousands of these lifts and they never have failed. I want them to state in writing that their lifts are tested to some level of safety standards and can pass the 1.5 times rated capacity test, but he flatly told me they never would. When I stressed the importance of this basic engineering safety factor test he pretty much told me to buy another lift for twice the price and hung up on me. I was not very impressed with his personality.
I got the same reaction when I asked some specific questions.....

I wouldnt give anyone my business who wouldnt take the time to answer specific questions about safety......selling thousands without a failure isnt an answer.

Perry
Perryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
gte718p

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSVLance View Post
Well, I'm impressed with my Greg Smith Atlas lift. I was looking at both cheaper and more expensive lifts...and feel like I got the best priced middle of the road lift for the money.

Those guys at Greg Smith are busy, but they take care of their customers. And they sell a quality lift.
Seriously, every experience I have had with Greg smith has been annoying. I've never heard of anyone having a satisfactory conversation ewith his outfit. I can't speak for his products. I've never ordered bc they tick me off every time I talk to them.
gte718p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Lkdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte718p View Post
Seriously, every experience I have had with Greg smith has been annoying. I've never heard of anyone having a satisfactory conversation ewith his outfit. I can't speak for his products. I've never ordered bc they tick me off every time I talk to them.
Started looking for a lift for my 2-stall here and that is the reason GJ came up on the google page
I've talked to Indianapolis, Delaware and Nashua N.H...had good luck every time I've called about information or whatever.
There is now an Atlas 7,000 mid rise scissor lift in the garage.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
dkGoodrich dot com

Just bought a bp9000..

They were very helpful and had fast responses to my questions on the phone. Drove to indiana, I walked in their show room and ~20min later a lift was loaded on my trailer and accessories in the truck. Salesman were easy and straightforward to deal with on the floor. 3 loaders and a fork lift with soft straps loaded everything. For transportation, The columns are.bolted to temp mig welded angle iron frames on each end with the base plate in the middle. Arms are inside columns, pretty crafty and solid.

Today ~2270$ including tax got me the following:
BP9000
1000lb 2 stage hydro trans jack
One giant threaded adjustable w pedal jack stand
~15 gallon telescopic oil drain
Trans fluid catch pan
30 gallons of hydraulic fluid
Mounting hardware
Truck adapter set

Guess we will see how it goes, but a friend of mine recommended them to me. He had a few of their lifts in his mechanic shop with no issues. Their show room was massive, had loads of stuff in it, all the lifts were functional and operated butter smooth.

Reasons I picked the bp9000 over the bp8000.
The 9k went up higher past my head
Arms were more adjustable
Longer 5 year structural, 2 year hydraulic warranty.
Both had a 3.5" min lift hight which was appealing for extremely lowered cars.
9k is supposed to be more heavy duty and has a higher lift rating.
Went with the base plate style because of ceiling height.

Hope this helps for someone considering their lifts.

Thanks for your time
DK
430whp.. per liter.. Outlaw..
Mustang Load Dyno Cell
Miller Electric Welders
Geovision Security
dkGoodrich dot com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
dkGoodrich dot com

Installed it today, was very easy. All that's left is hydro fluid and wiring it in.
Mustang Load Dyno Cell
Miller Electric Welders
Geovision Security
Old 03-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
dkGoodrich dot com

Mustang Load Dyno Cell
Miller Electric Welders
Geovision Security
Old 02-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
moon29

i just installed my bp9000 last night. still have to add the fluid and test it. wish me luck
moon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
wef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte718p View Post
Over 2 years since this post and they are still the same rude, condescending crowd. They build an extremely good lift so hopefully I'll not have to communicate with them again.
wef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
brihvac

I have the BP9000 and love it. Greg Smith Equipment is only 10 minutes from my house. When I went to pick up my lift, there was a line of guys with trailers picking up theirs. The sales people dont know shit about their products, but I knew what I wanted. I loved their showroom and could go crazy in there spending money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lift.JPG (108.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg lift1.JPG (124.5 KB, 66 views)
brihvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
joebiodiesel

They took good care of me when I called. My #1 priority was lift height. I ended up buying an OH-10X because it goes higher than their other lifts. When I asked him to take some specific measurement of the plate height on a few different lifts, he did it right wile I was on the phone. I had my lift in 2 days, shipped from Atlanta to NC.

On a related note, I was also looking at Worth lifts. I probably would have purchased one from them if they didn't have a 90 waiting period (along with paying the total amount up front). When I told Steve at Worth that I purchased an Atlas lift he told me "Maybe when the Chinese come bomb us, they will bomb your house first."
Sounds like lots of lift salesmen are a few clicks off center. :-)

Joe
joebiodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
plowboy.

GSE was close but not really competitive with bestbuyautoequipment. Started out looking at an 11k autolift, but after considering shipping and certification decided on a dannmar which was only a couple hundred dollars more and was symmetrical lift which is more suited to our application of mostly trucks.
plowboy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #15
diagobd2

i just installed my bp9000 last night. still have to add the fluid and test it. wish me luck

Old 03-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #16
dadsEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by regifnald View Post
add the fluid and test it. Wish me luck
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!troll alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dadsEH is offline   Reply With Quote