Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #21
LSU

Default Re: Opinions Needed on KIJIJI find... oldschool drillpress gurus get in here!

Give us an upate on this.

Did you buy it? If so, how much?
LSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
one

Default Re: Opinions Needed on KIJIJI find... oldschool drillpress gurus get in here!

I'm heading out to his place (about an hour drive into quebec) later today. If the machine looks true/fixable, im going to grab it. I'll keep you guys updated on what i get it for/condition.

Thanks for all the help! fingers crossed its the "18" I'll be happy with the 15 either way tho.

Any tips on hauling this? I have a 4Runner and a 4x8 trailer with ramp, and the roads in quebexico arnt great. A buddy used to work for a local heavy equipment rental place and he reccommends only 2 straps. standing up, looped around the press in an "x" fasion. I was debating taking it apart and laying it all down on some old tires ive got kickin around.

Any sort of help would be great. Id hate to crack the casting or something getting it home!
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
tool_scrounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by one View Post
I'm heading out to his place (about an hour drive into quebec) later today. If the machine looks true/fixable, im going to grab it. I'll keep you guys updated on what i get it for/condition.

Thanks for all the help! fingers crossed its the "18" I'll be happy with the 15 either way tho.

Any tips on hauling this? I have a 4Runner and a 4x8 trailer with ramp, and the roads in quebexico arnt great. A buddy used to work for a local heavy equipment rental place and he reccommends only 2 straps. standing up, looped around the press in an "x" fasion. I was debating taking it apart and laying it all down on some old tires ive got kickin around.

Any sort of help would be great. Id hate to crack the casting or something getting it home!
If you are going to haul it assembled, put it on its side (motor removed) or lower the head and table as low as they can go to lower the center of gravity - so there is less chance to tilt over. I would still remove the motor. I usually bring a small bottle jack to allow the head to be lowered easily by one person. You fit the bottle jack with the ram fully extended between the table and head. Then loosen the head clamp and lower the ram. Reclamp the head, lower the table, and repeat until the head is as low as you want.

Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
torqueman2002

Good advise scrounge.

I've hauled several of these vintage era CM machines home.

Take some penetrating oil with you and spray the column and all the joints in the head & table & base - that slide over the column; plus all the nuts, bolts, clamps.

Take some scrap pieces of wood to place between the head & table and the table & bottom. This is insurance in case the head or table get away from you. Alternately a >2.5" hose clamp placed on the column is great if the DP doesn't have the 'table lift' option.

Remove the motor, then work the head off the column, followed by the table, and finally the base.

Place the head carefully on it's left side (opposite from the fragile pot metal handle). Be cautious and careful with the knobs, and handles; they are fragile and hard to find.

I've brought my DPs home in the trunk (with pass through for column) and rear and front floor of a 2002 Grand Prix.

Great find. BTW - I've paid from $75 - $115 (US) for this style of CM DP, table top (150 & 100?) and floor models (pre 150) King-Sealey with Vari-Slow speed adjuster and table lift.

Visit Old Wood Working Machines dot com (OWWMdotcom) for more info/help/spare parts.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
-Brent-

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueman2002 View Post
Good advise scrounge.

I've hauled several of these vintage era CM machines home.

Take some penetrating oil with you and spray the column and all the joints in the head & table & base - that slide over the column; plus all the nuts, bolts, clamps.

Take some scrap pieces of wood to place between the head & table and the table & bottom. This is insurance in case the head or table get away from you. Alternately a >2.5" hose clamp placed on the column is great if the DP doesn't have the 'table lift' option.

Remove the motor, then work the head off the column, followed by the table, and finally the base.

Yep, bring some tools with you. If you take the head off you may need two people as it's awkward getting the head off from the top, it can be finicky and need some twisting and pulling. If it's a job to be done by yourself, I'd say let gravity assist you and slide the table and head down and muscle it into whatever way you're going to carry it.

photo-18.jpg

I had no tools and no assistance (and no advance notice) on this one or I would have done it differently.
-Brent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
one

Here it is! In it's new home... sortof. Still deciding the final resting spot.

Turns out its a model 15. I was sorta hoping it was the massive 18, but this is likely a better suited press for my needs anyways.

As ghetto as it looks/looked its in fantastic shape. Bearings are nice and tight, the previous owner had it for 10 years, and kept it well greased/oiled.

I plan to put a proper cord on it. But heck i may keep the switch, its ugly but functional.

ignore the mess, the shop is still a work in progress...

I ended up getting it for $115, i didnt want to insult him as even $125 was a fair price for this press. Super nice guy thats simply moving into a nice old milling machine. Ahh someday!

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm tracking down a decent x/y vise and bam were in business.
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #27
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by one View Post
sNIP

ignore the mess, the shop is still a work in progress...

SNIP
Mess? What Mess?

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote