Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
Your Father
Banned

Default Re: COO Quality Ranking

This thread is no more asinine, ridiculous, or subjective than 90% of the other threads on here.
How many "Whats my toolbox worth" thread are there? The answers given are based on a persons opinion, where they live, what they've seen. The value of a toolbox in Bumfuck, KY will be different than if it was in Los Angeles. 9/10 the true condition of the toolbox is not well known, but that doesn't stop every asshat on here from voicing his opinion, from the tool flippers to the novices, to the guys that own them.
This thread is no different. Opinions based on personal experiences, geography, etc. If this thread is not valid and is ridiculous, then this entire site should be shut down, because most of the topics are subject to the same responses and logic.
Your Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Monte

Back to the original post

i think in the czech republic they can make pretty good products too like the "Protool" power tools which are up to german standards, their "Skoda" cars also score top rankings or Wera hand tools for example. They also make a lot of machine tools there.
Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
ricleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Father View Post
This thread is no more asinine, ridiculous, or subjective than 90% of the other threads on here.
How many "Whats my toolbox worth" thread are there? The answers given are based on a persons opinion, where they live, what they've seen. The value of a toolbox in Bumfuck, KY will be different than if it was in Los Angeles. 9/10 the true condition of the toolbox is not well known, but that doesn't stop every asshat on here from voicing his opinion, from the tool flippers to the novices, to the guys that own them.
This thread is no different. Opinions based on personal experiences, geography, etc. If this thread is not valid and is ridiculous, then this entire site should be shut down, because most of the topics are subject to the same responses and logic.
Infallible logic like yours makes me especially thankful that there is an ignore list.
ricleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Danglerb

Are there any poorly made Swiss tools?
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
Stuey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Are there any poorly made Swiss tools?
Yes. His name is Ronald.

Amazon 50-70%-off Tool Deal-Finder
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
shoturtle

wera is made in the czech, it is as good as any of the ones listed in as 1, the japanese tool are just as good as US, German, English, French tools.

This is a really opinionated list, as it does not take each country does certain tools better.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
Drunken Yak inc
Alliance Member

I'll be honest, I'm partial to anything (not just tools) American, German, British or Japanese.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
Lt CHEG

I think it really varies depending on many factors of what is important to each purchaser. To me, while I appreciate the high quality of German and other European tools, I don't often rank them number one. I don't like buying a tool more than once so to me a no nonsense, no questions asked lifetime warranty is of paramount importance. A lot of admittedly high quality European tools do not have such a warranty so to me I don't rank them as high in quality as others do.
Lt CHEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
el tanque prohibido
Banned

PB Swiss is up there with Snap-on and Knipex.
el tanque prohibido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #30
wellpoison

i didnt know this thread would start such controversy, thats not what i was intending at all. i was just wondering how everyone thought in terms of coo. lets put it this way and maybe it will make it easier. if craftsman moved production to every single country in the world and you had them all sitting in front of you and had to purchase and use a couple which ones would you choose?
wellpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
stricht8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpoison View Post
i didnt know this thread would start such controversy, thats not what i was intending at all. i was just wondering how everyone thought in terms of coo. lets put it this way and maybe it will make it easier. if craftsman moved production to every single country in the world and you had them all sitting in front of you and had to purchase and use a couple which ones would you choose?
Your thread is well intentioned and I agree with your rankings except that I'd put Canada up there in the no. 1 spot. I've tried the identical tool with US vs. Asian COO and it just ended up in a pissing contest and the thread just got locked. There are a lot of people here who love supporting low end Asian made tools. I just don't get it. You'll never win with these COO threads! You and I and a bunch of others here know the truth.

Last edited by stricht8; 03-19-2012 at 10:01 PM.
stricht8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
Your Father
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleh View Post
Infallible logic like yours makes me especially thankful that there is an ignore list.
Was merely saying that posting answers in this thread is as valid as posting your opinion on prices in "toolbox" threads, your opinion in "is this tool good?" threads, and your opinion on how to use tools in "how do I use this..." threads.
My point obviously flew over your head. My apologies.
Your Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #33
shoturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpoison View Post
It is not a really good thread, it is super subjective. I have to agree with allot of there here, you get good and poor tools from every country. Unless you have used each and every countries tool and the different grade. It is all subjective.

Take a guess why snap on, proto and other big tool makes have their tools made in taiwan. Bluepoint, blackhawk and a host of other brands are rebranded taiwan tools, and of excellent quality. And some like to bash asian tools, but the taiwan and japanese tools are very high quality tools.

Also allot like to blast china for their business practice, but the US just over the last couple of years have employed less then honorable business practice. GM is a case and point. The bond holders got thrown under the bus, with the bail out and the way the US govt circumvented the contract law and the rules of bankruptcy. That was unfair to Ford who took care of their business. That is one reason I would never buy a GM car, only US car I would buy are Ford, and European cars from Germany and Jeep.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #34
DiyType

In my shop I would rank them:

#1, USA, Canada, Japan, Germany, Swiss, France, Sweden, Israel
#2, Czech Republic, Spain, Taiwan
#3, China, Mexico
#4, India
#5, Pakistan
DiyType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #35
geologist

My preference is generally to stick with US made tools whenever possible. If that isn't possible I try for Canada. If I can't find what I'm looking for within the US or Canada, I try for Germany.

I'm not familiar with Swiss or Swedish tools. I've had some luck with Spain and Argentina via J.H. Williams. If all of those offerings fail, I'll take Taiwan over China all day long. The shit coming out of India should feel blessed that I've called it shit, because that's more credit than it deserves.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #36
ssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxlennox View Post
silly question

everyone knows the best tools are made in Mongolia and Khazakstan
Nice move genius. Now that everyone knows, the price for Mongolian and Khazakstanian tools on e-bay will skyrocket. You just cost me a fortune.
ssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #37
keithwvd

I don't think it's an absolute in all cases, but generally I agree with the original post

for instance I have to say my Taiwanese gearwrench ratchets are many times nicer than my USA craftsman raised panel ratchets, and I paid under $20 each for my 1/2", 3/8", and 3/8" stubby gearwrench ratchets so they're in the same ballpark price range
keithwvd is offline   Reply With Quote