Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
jbbies

Default Running wires for subpanel

Im adding a 100a subpanel and was wondering what the best way to run wires to it was? The sub will be 16 inches from the main panel and Im running SER Alum. wiring. Through the wall? then what are the requirements for that does it need to be in conduit? Or I could mount the sub panel on the wall and bring the wire along the wall? So the main which is recessed in the wall and the other is on the wall? What do you think? It seems simple and originally I was going to put it on the wall but I am not liking the way the conduit is working/looking.
jbbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
pattenp

Default Re: Running wires for subpanel

Recess sub-panel in the wall same as the main-panel. Run the SER in the wall to the sub-panel. With the SER being in the wall no conduit is required.
pattenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Aceman

We'll usually put them in the next bay over and just nipple them together through the stud. You need to pay attention though, sometimes the covers are too wide and they'll overlap. In new construction, I'll ask them to install a double stud between them if I can.

But your way is fine too, nothing wrong with SER in the wall. Just recess the panel and don't worry about conduit.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
jbbies

Thanks Guys
jbbies is offline   Reply With Quote