Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
gofastman

Exclamation Avoid SJ Discount tools!

This place is awful!
I placed an order by phone on November 17, asked about express shipping because i needed it within a week, the lady on the other end sounded pleasant enough and told me they didn't offer express shipping but product was shipping from Ohio and was in stock so it would go out on the 18th (their website also said the item was in stock) I placed my order and waited till the 19th to get a shipping confirmation-nothing, also no charge to my account so I sent this email:
Quote:
Hello,
could you please tell me what the status of my order is?
I placed it over the phone on Tuesday and they said it would ship out Wednesday, I have not yet received a charge on my account or any shipping information.
Normally I wouldn't be so concerned about it but I start a my new job on Monday and I'm gonna need this tool.
Thank you,
David
I shortly received this reply:
Quote:
We are sorry, but this is currently on backorder with an ETA of the beginning of December. We are hoping to get your order in sooner and will update you with any new information. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Sincerely,

Megan
WTF! I'm going to tell my credit union to stop payment on this transaction! Terrible!

Last edited by gofastman; 11-19-2009 at 01:56 PM.
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
wantedabiggergarage

Default Re: Avoid SJ Discount tools!

Don't F around, also email them as here:
"
CANCELLATIONS

All order cancellations must be emailed to Customer Service, orders that have already shipped cannot be cancelled and are subject to a re-stocking fee."

Explain you called to make sure it was in stock, and to see if expedited shipping was available and were told it will ship out the next day. Then I would explain that you are telling your disappointment to your forum members, and also fill out your experience on Reseller ratings.

What were you looking at/for?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantedabiggergarage View Post
Don't F around, also email them as here:
"
CANCELLATIONS

All order cancellations must be emailed to Customer Service, orders that have already shipped cannot be cancelled and are subject to a re-stocking fee."

Explain you called to make sure it was in stock, and to see if expedited shipping was available and were told it will ship out the next day. Then I would explain that you are telling your disappointment to your forum members, and also fill out your experience on Reseller ratings.

What were you looking at/for?
It was an SK long barrel air hammer,
I did something to that effect:
Quote:
Please cancel the order.
This is really a shame, you folks had the best price on this tool and what seemed to be friendly customer service, that doesn't excuse poor business practices like this however, You have lost me as a customer and forced me to give you a very poor review on a tool discussion forum I am a member of.
Sincerely,
David
Old 11-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Stuey

That sure sucks. Have you found an alternate source yet?

Amazon 50-70%-off Tool Deal-Finder
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
That sure sucks. Have you found an alternate source yet?
I got it off amazon, i selected overnight shipping but the email confirmation said the scheduled delivery date was the 24th or 25th
Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
It was an SK long barrel air hammer,
That's funny, I was just getting ready to ask if you were trying to buy an SK tool.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
That's funny, I was just getting ready to ask if you were trying to buy an SK tool.

So was I

Last month I ordered a SK torque wrench from them and also one single SK socket that I needed. About a week goes buy and I email them to see where my order is. I get the reply that it is back ordered so I email them back to cancel the entire order. That day I get another email that they are shipping just the socket and with shipping, they think they are going to charge me $20 or so for it.

I refuse the package and dispute the whole thing with AmEx and get all my money back
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
mrb

most of those tool websites just drop ship, I would pay a couple bucks extra to buy from someone who actually has it in hand.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
expatriated

I'm glad I came across this thread. I was going to order something from them because they were by far the lowest price.

But because of this thread, I went with another company, Hands on Tools. Never used them before but I placed the order this morning, got my email confirmation right away and got a confirmation this evening saying it shipped. A couple of bucks more but it seems to be worth it. So far.
expatriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
swgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
I shortly received this reply:
We are sorry, but this is currently on backorder with an ETA of the beginning of December. We are hoping to get your order in sooner and will update you with any new information. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Sincerely,

Megan

WTF! I'm going to tell my credit union to stop payment on this transaction! Terrible!
I'm going to hold my thoughts on them, except to say I've exchanged emails with Megan every day this week. Until today, which makes me think bad thoughts. I think Megan must be really busy, as sometimes she signs her emails MEgan.

What someone said about dropshipping is true about them as one item came direct from OTC.

My garage:
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...age%20Project/
swgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
woody 73

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, I must have used them several times in the past and I have never had any problems with them.
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
FNFS2000

I think there is another thread here about them, I've had no good experience at that store.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Duane.s

thanks for the tip. I thought it was strange that a company would not post a phone # of any knid on their site. I'm moving on
Duane.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Cryptic1911

I ordered two sets of ratcheting wrenches from them months ago, and got an email back that one set was out of stock.. I told them to cancel the OOS set, which they did, and I got the other set in a couple days. I was a bit worried because after I ordered them, I happened to see some bad reveiws on here. I think its probably hit or miss.. it sounds like its one of those operations that is run out of someone's garage where they drop ship everything.. so sometimes ya get lucky, and sometimes ya don't
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
tonydanzah

I think its a hit or miss deal, I haven't had a "bad" experience just things being out of stock or longer than normal shipping times.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #16
BTI

They got me too......
Just started to trying to get my money back....
We'll see how this goes.
Never thought to look at the vendor reviews here.
BTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
AJ1978

Sorry to open an old thread, BUT I was just going to order some inspection gauges that I need within the week. Any good reputable SK places out there with realistic, uninflated prices.?
AJ1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
plung
Banned

I will have to chime in also.

Avoid them. I placed an order for a $300 item since they had the lowest price. Next day, there was not emails about order shipping so I checked my status. It says "This order has been rejected." No reason given and they never sent an email. Still haven't sent an email after a week.

But I should count myself lucky that they didn't hold onto my money put me through delays after delays.

S&J's Discount Tools sjdiscounttools.com sucks
plung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
ephotrod

I will bring this old thread back because i never saw it and agree with everyone. They don't ship what you buy.
Josh
ephotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
hrlychrly1

I have bought w/ very good results from ToolTopia.com. Seem to ship the same day. Not so w/ Networktoolwarehouse.com & USAtoolwarehouse.com. I have an open dispute w/ them through Chase CC. After it's resolved, i'll share the story.
hrlychrly1 is offline   Reply With Quote