Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
cj7365

Default Ceiling fan for shop

I have a 30x50 metal bldg with 3 inch insulation, I am in the southwest and I am going to use a evap cooler to cool it in the summer, Just wondering if anyone has use ceiling fans in their shop, if so do you have pics.

It was 89 in the shop today

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861
cj7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
cajunfirehawk

Default Re: Ceiling fan for shop

I suggest several! Best $ I ever spent in my garage was a window a/c unit. Only regret was not getting one w/heat too. Gets very hot here in the South, the garage a/c is running now...when I build my separate (not atached to my house) garage, I plan to hang several fans too.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
samert111

I have 2 ceiling fans in the work bay of my 28' x 48' x 15' Pole Barn. Also put an exhaust fan in the back wall that I'll use during the night to pull in the cool night air and shut it off during the day and close up all the doors. Now that the barn is well insulated it will stay below 75 in there all day during the summer months if I keep the doors closed. The ceiling fans are more for the winters here in Michigan to move the heat off the ceilings. They are a little hard to see in the photo against the white metal ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00434.jpg (139.8 KB, 99 views)
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
nehog

I have one ceiling fan, use it both summer and winter. Always blowing down, FWIW. Also, in the summer, I can turn on the fan in my heater which generates a nice breeze inside as well...

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

http://www.peterhipson.com

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Charles (in GA)

THIS THREAD from 2007-2008 will be your best info.

I have pics of mine in a couple of different posts. I have a 60x60x16ft eave steel building with three 60" fans. I run them on high in warm weather, anytime I have the building opened up. They push the heat down, the wind carries it out the doors. Eliminates the broiler effect of having heat bearing down on your head.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
rackeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
THIS THREAD from 2007-2008 will be your best info.

I have pics of mine in a couple of different posts. I have a 60x60x16ft eave steel building with three 60" fans. I run them on high in warm weather, anytime I have the building opened up. They push the heat down, the wind carries it out the doors. Eliminates the broiler effect of having heat bearing down on your head.

Charles
Why push the hot air down to exit. Why not use a gable or roof vent to move the hot air out.

I opted to put a small whole house fan in my small garage to take the hot out of the top and bring the breeze from outside in. Because its a garage I do not have doors on Eric end thus no flow through of air.

Last edited by rackeu; 03-26-2012 at 06:52 PM.
rackeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackeu View Post
Why push the hot air down to exit. Why not use a gable or roof vent to move the hot air out.

I opted to put a small whole house fan in my small garage to take the hot out of the top and bring the breeze from outside in. Because its a garage I do not have doors on Eric end thus no flow through of air.
Well, it works in my situation. I don't like the roof peak vents used on steel buildings, and installing a gable end fan would mean more cutting, hacking and issues with the install. I know a couple of steel buildings with the huge gable fans with the gravity closed shutters, and yes, they do work. The ceiling fans are invaluable in the winter to push the heat down, so you probably would want to install them anyhow.

Actually, after the fans have moved the superheated air from above, and it has "left the building" the air coming down is not really hot at all. Temps on the underside of the roof are only a degree or two more than at floor level. Never have any trouble working up high on the hijacker at all in the summer after I have run the fans for a while, but yes, you do need flow thru circulation. I have a 10x10 door on the north side, a 12w x 14h door on the west side, and a 53w x 14h door on the east side.

Charles

Last edited by Charles (in GA); 03-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote