Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
PeterN

Default Garage floor tile underlayment

I'm thinking of using one of the plastic floor tile options and was wondering if anyone has used any underlayment under their tiles. I'm looking for some sound deadening as well as insulation (live in WI with unheated floor). I've layed wood flooring with the thin foam and while this is an option that wouldn't add much heighth or affect stability, I'm wondering what would happen with some foam R-board under these types of floors. It is rather cheap but has good insulating properties and can be obtained in various thicknesses. My workshop is for motorcycle use only, so the weight on the floor comes from workbenches, toolboxes, motorcycle table lifts, and of course motorcycles. Any feedback from members or OEM floor tile guys (RaceDeck, SwissTrak, etc.)? Thanks.

Pete
PeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
junk4dummies
Banned

Default Re: Garage floor tile underlayment

Nothing you do to the floor will give you much insulation value.
I gather your floor is concrete. The average ground tempature is about 55 degrees. If you insulate the inside of your footing walls before you pour a slap you can make the inside floor much warmer in places with harsh winters. I have done this with pole barns and small shops. The insulation foam sheets that are made for roofing work great on the inside of footing walls. If you are in an area that does not have a frost line there is not much of a footing and you can not use this method.

Nothing you do will make much difference with the sound. Even soft tile do not do much to deaden the sound of an engine running.

Are you talking about the foam board for model making and framing?
Foam board is not designed for flooring and will not hold up. Not even the type designed to go under roofing will not work. All foam boad will crush under heavy weight and over time it will sink just walking across it.

If your work space is on a slap just seal the concrete and move in. I would never spend the money on any kind of shop flooring. You can't weld over it and if you spill oil or greese it will damage the flooring over the long run.

If you want a perty shop that is one thing. I have build several nice 10 car garages for antique autos and related displays. My clients like to use black and white tile to make a checker board floor. It looks nice and easy to clean but no one works on it.

Even if the foam does not sink the first week it will dimple and get crushe by workbenches etc. They do make comercial insulation for shop floors but you don't want to pay the price.

Regards
Richard
junk4dummies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
GarageFlooringLLC

We use specialized roll out underlayment under tiles all the time. It provides little if any R value. Its main purpose is to deaden sound.

Thank You!

Justin Krauss
President
Toll Free: 800.956.4301 Ext 203
Garage Flooring LLC
632 W Gunnison Ave Unit C
Grand Junction CO 81501
Justin@garageflooringllc.com
Twitter: @garflooringllc
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/garageflooringllc

GarageFlooringLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
rockchucker

Agreed with junk4dummies... ^^

Any concentrated load will have it sagging and crushed in no time. Even running Bikes over it could compromise it.

Sig by FairladyZ90

"It took you longer to explain why you were doing it wrong than it would have to do it right in the first place." -Some Old Dude

"All it takes is Time and Pressure..." -Some Old Dude
rockchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
PeterN

Thanks for the responses. The R-board I was referring to is the pink stuff that is used on the outside of foundations and sometimes is used on the outside of the house walls. I agree that concentrated loads probably would deform it and the plastic tile would no longer sit on a flat surface even though it is quite dense. Seeing that the plastic tiles are not smooth flat surfaces to distribute loads, I can see this also damaging the R-board. The other thing I thought about after I made the post was that the increased floor height would be more of an issue when you enter the garage at either an entry or garage door. Doesn't seem worth the effort.
I presently have laminate tile in this area and have to be very careful what I spill on it and what I use to clean it. I've got a lot of work mats near my workbenches and lifts to protect the surface as well as being easier to stand on. Just thinking the plastic tile would be an improvement over what I have.

Pete
PeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
TigerGA

I have RaceDeck and used two layers of landscape felt (from Lowes). it will deaded the hollow sound, but do nothing for insulation. i went with landscape felt because it's desiged to get wet and from time to time I have the need to wet the floor.
TigerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
impala_631

I would suggest foam underlayment for laminate floors,it will reduce the noise and allow the moisture to escape
impala_631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
BigFloors

A synthetic landscape felt works great and is cheap
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
SwisstraxIFT

We do offer a product that will give you and R Value of 3.19 (ft2 – F –hr/Btu – in.) In fact, we do offer a few tested underlays that can be used just for this purpose. If you want further information please let me know.

Randy Nelson
President & CEO
Swisstrax, Inc.
www.swisstrax.com
#1 in Modular Fooring
866-748-7940
760-347-3330
http://www.facebook.com/SwisstraxTeam
http://www.swisstrax.com
Certified Green by the U.S. Green Building Council
ASTM Tested

SwisstraxIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Martha39

I'm thinking of using one of the plastic floor tile options and was wondering if anyone has used any underlayment under their tiles.
Martha39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
RaceDeck1

99% of the floors we sell, the customer does not use an under layment. For those that do, we recommend using a synthetic type landscape felt, as it will still allow most moisture to escape, and it is cheap too ( $.05-$.15 ft). You do not want to use anything that will prevent air & moisture to circulate ( and liquids), that defeats the purpose of the patent full-suspension flooring under-structure, which is channeled. Foam sheets, soundboards, solid plastic films etc are not recommended in the garage environment.

We are happy to walk you through your installation and answer any questions in regards to going with or without an underlayment...

Thanks
Proudly made in the U.S.A / All under "1" roof - ISO 9001:2008 Certified for Quality

"Imitation Is The Sincerest Form of Inferiority" insist on Genuine RaceDeck® Flooring

"All Garage Journal Members Get Exclusive Deals"

http://www.racedeck.com - 800-457-0174
"My Garage Makes Me Happy™
RaceDeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
mrpd114

I am starting to install about 650 Race Deck tiles over concrete. Lowes sells
Greenscapes 100' x 7' Landscape Fabric for $14.00. Anyone know if this will be sufficient for noise reduction from the tiles?
mrpd114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
nkurz
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk4dummies View Post
They do make comercial insulation for shop floors but you don't want to pay the price.
Is this the type of insulation you are referring to, or is there another?

http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...ighload100.htm

It's much stronger than the standard foam, but does need a well distributed load.
nkurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
RaceDeck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpd114 View Post
I am starting to install about 650 Race Deck tiles over concrete. Lowes sells
Greenscapes 100' x 7' Landscape Fabric for $14.00. Anyone know if this will be sufficient for noise reduction from the tiles?
That should work, if it is the same material I am referring to ( has to be a synthetic, not a paper felt. ) You can test out a small section too, give us a call if you have any questions.
Proudly made in the U.S.A / All under "1" roof - ISO 9001:2008 Certified for Quality

"Imitation Is The Sincerest Form of Inferiority" insist on Genuine RaceDeck® Flooring

"All Garage Journal Members Get Exclusive Deals"

http://www.racedeck.com - 800-457-0174
"My Garage Makes Me Happy™
RaceDeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote