Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
FleaDog

I got a 72" level and went over several areas of the floor to find its not very level/ flat at all. So, I am abandoning the tile idea. Oh well. Back to lowes goes the tile, ordering epoxy-coat tomorrow.
FleaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
Dakota00

Default Re: Preparing to tile the garage, need some feedback on products

Can you not patch the floor to fill some of the imperfection?? I wouldn't give up on the tiles so easy yet.

Click Here! To learn more about the benefits of tiling your garage floor.
Dakota00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

What?

Look at how wavy my floor is. You can see it if you look at the bases of the green cabinets on the rear left side.

Tile worked on it when nothing else would.

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
FleaDog

When I really think about the floor (and after staring at that tile for some time) I dont want a beige/tan color, with dark grout lines in b/w. I want a grey/black or taupe - a dark color. I ve checked a bunch of places near me for comparable tile in that color and that doubles my tile cost. ($2/sf +) Then add the modified thinest and grout that I want and the cost goes up some more. I have ~425sf.

I can order a full (2 car) epoxy-coat base kit, and a full clear kit, and extra flakes to go on top from lowes for under half of that price. For proper surface prep, I can rent an edco grinder locally for another $150 for the whole day.

I can knock out the prep in one weekend day. I need to fix some damage spots where the surface cream has chipped-off from the aggregate with an epoxy patch kit, surface grind whole thing, and will use the included myriatic acid etch (even though probably dont need to), neutralize (baking soda), clean & dry. My bro and I can bang out the coating in half another weekend day.

Another factor for me is I have a 2.5 yr old son, and another son on the way due mid June so I need to get this done.
FleaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
ScaldedDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaDog View Post
When I really think about the floor (and after staring at that tile for some time) I dont want a beige/tan color, with dark grout lines in b/w. I want a grey/black or taupe - a dark color. I ve checked a bunch of places near me for comparable tile in that color and that doubles my tile cost. ($2/sf +)
I've noticed the same thing. If you want a beige tile floor, it's cheap. If you want grey - not something with grey in the name, but tile that's really grey - it either doesn't exist or is way more expensive.

Mark
ScaldedDog is offline   Reply With Quote