Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
xroad

Default Special Shape/Pattern Waffle Grill/Maker

Gentleman (or Ladies),

Heed some help .....

I want to have a special waffle shaped and patterned to reflect my business logo. Where and how do I go about to have an iron waffle grill fabricated? I am not talking about complicated waffle maker like the one you see at motel breakfast rooms. I just need one that I can clamp the top and bottom half and put it over my stove.

Thanks.
xroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Jim Johnstone

Default Re: Special Shape/Pattern Waffle Grill/Maker

If you know the material you want it made out of, any half decent machine shop should be able to make it.
Jim Johnstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
xroad

Forgive my ignorance.

Are frying pans made of cast iron? Does my customer waffle grill have to be cast? Would it be easier to start out with a piece of 1 inch or 3/4 inch steel plate and carve out the shape?

Don't know where to begin looking for a machine shop. Yellow page or Google search I suppose.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Jim Johnstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad View Post
Forgive my ignorance.

Are frying pans made of cast iron? Does my customer waffle grill have to be cast? Would it be easier to start out with a piece of 1 inch or 3/4 inch steel plate and carve out the shape?

Don't know where to begin looking for a machine shop. Yellow page or Google search I suppose.
I would suspect that mass produced waffle pans would be cast, as that is more economical in big production numbers. As for a one off prototype/promotional item, casting would be crazy expensive and machining would be the way to go. Cookware isn't exactly my area of engineering expertise, but I would think you would want to use some type of stainless if you were going to have it machined.

Look in the yellow pages for machine shop, tool and die shop, mold makers, pattern makers etc.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
jeffg

raw stainless would stick like crazy. You would need to look at getting it coated in something, or use a TON of grease.
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Jim Johnstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
raw stainless would stick like crazy. You would need to look at getting it coated in something, or use a TON of grease.
Good suggestion, I'm not very well versed in the various coating options, maybe someone on here can chime in. Obviously Teflon is a well known coating, but I have no idea about the process or other options.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
antinym

So, uhh. a little google and I found this: http://monad.com/kurt/waffle_iron/waffle_iron.html
I think I need a custom waffle iron, too.
antinym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
rlb1953

Cast iron is often used because it is somewhat porous... It can be "seasoned" with fat making it a natural non-stick surface. A machined surface won't be able to soak in the grease the way a cast one does.
rlb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
xroad

Thanks guys ... you've been a great help.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
5lima30

I saw an old cast iron waffle maker (non-electric) at the flea market recently for $20. Check on flea-bay no sense re-inventing the wheel. JMHO.
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Jim Johnstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lima30 View Post
I saw an old cast iron waffle maker (non-electric) at the flea market recently for $20. Check on flea-bay no sense re-inventing the wheel. JMHO.
He's trying to get one made that will make waffles that look like his business logo. Might be hard to find that at a flea market.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
machine_punk

If you have a foundry around your area (most towns have some sort of small foundry--I have one a couple of miles from my house), I would make a mold out of wood (you will want to ask you foundry the basics of making a mold for casting--or look online).

A foundry can take this wooden mold 'positive,' and turn it into a sand 'negative,' then pour your metal of choice into the mold.

I would choose cast iron (that is what the griddle and waffle plates are made of on my home electric waffle iron). After greasing these repeatedly, they will become 'seasoned' and somewhat 'nonstick.' You should be using a spray release agent (Pam, etc.) on your waffle irons anyway.

Sounds cool. Post pics.

M_P

"Kev's out of control. Don't put your keys down--he will rivet them to the table." (ozi jim from the Metal Meet Forum)

Going to be teaching riveting at the Cuesta College Metal Meet...bringing you a little of The
Aerodrome Studio--my metalworking studio in a 2-car, attached garage, where I build artistic projects, inspired by aeroplanes.

- my thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=122188
- Blog:
http://TheAerodromeStudio.com/wordpress
machine_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
slow50

hmmm i remember seeing an old episode of american choppers where they tried to make molds for pancakes with their logo and they had the machinist guy machine them out and they didnt work worth a crap everything stuck to them.
slow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Socophreak

Waffle irons are cast and need to be seasoned. Like said above having somebody make a cast plate out of a mold.

Best course of action would be to have this plate fit a mass produced, commercial waffle iron. Few reasons to get something commercial. You will be actually able to get parts for it and you will be actually able to remove the plates. Do some research as well, as not all brands are created equal.
Socophreak is offline   Reply With Quote