Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
djm999

Default Radiant slab pricing question

If my concrete floor is $5k, is there any ball park percentage to add to estimate the cost of adding radiant piping and the hot water setup to put it into use? Would the setup double the floor cost?

Thanks in advance for the help
djm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
kert

Default Re: Radiant slab pricing question

I'm going to have my floor poured in a month or so. I'm providing all the labor for the insulation and tubing so I can't really say on labor What I can say is that you can figure $0.75-$1/sqft for 2" insulation, and around $0.50/sqft for PEX (assuming 12" spacing). You will need some way to attach the tubes to either the insulation or the reinforcement. Whatever you want to spend on a manifold (I've seen just a series of tees or several hundred dollars for a metered manifold). I haven't started pricing boilers and pumps and such.

As far as pouring the floor goes, it really shouldn't be any more work than without the tubing.
kert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
djm999

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to get an estimate of how much the radiant floor option compared to other heating options. Does anyone have any idea how a radiant floor heat build compares to a overhead heater? Plenty of nat gas in our area so I would be using that fuel source either way.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
BadgerBoilerMN

We design and install all forms of heating systems for garages, but most of our work is radiant floors. The tubing is the least of most installations. The cost is in the heat source and controls. Naturally, the bigger the building the smaller the cost of boiler and controls vs. tubing.

As for radiant floor heat vs. forced air...usually the cost will double. The reason is comfort, operating cost and other features such as sealed combustion and near silent operation. You also have the versatility of choosing or changing your fuel choice from say oil, to propane, or wood, coal, pellets, corn, electricity, waste oil, cooking oil, or even plain old natural gas.

As with insulation, generally the more you pay, the more you save.

The cost per square foot is highly dependent on size, but generally our systems run from $5 to $20 per sq/ft installed. When in doubt, tube it so you can change your mind later or sell the garage at a premium as it will be "Radiant Floor Ready"
BadgerBoilerMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
djm999

Thanks Badger. At this point in time, I am in the preliminary planning stage of a 26' x 36'. Any ballpark guess on what cost I can plan per sq. ft?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
jack stand

If you did the labor, I's say that for under $1000 all of your "in slab" stuff will be done.
That's 30pc. of 2" foam (30x$20=$600) (about 700' 1/2" pex with o2 barrier under $400)
It's not complicated at all to install the pex or insulation. If you decide to go with it write back in and I'll explain what I learned doing it myself. There's lots of web info avaialble out there.
jack stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
jlckmj

I just did a 24X36, and Jackstand is pretty close, I had about $750 in the foam insulation, and about $500 in the pex tubing and elbows to bring it up out of the concrete.

I have not hooked up a heat source yet, but I expect it to be approximately another $1,000 before I am done with the hot water heating source, manifolds, gauges, expansion tanks, etc.

You could probably hang a modine type furnace in the corner of the shop for $1,500, but I have been there, and don't want to go back, cold concrete and my old arthritic bones do not mix any more.

Jim
jlckmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
BadgerBoilerMN

The insulation and PEX are the easy part (especially with a proper spec and CAD drawing). The part where folks get stuck is the heat source, pump, near piping and controls.

You can contact us directly about any HVAC design, but most of our work is in radiant floor heating.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Steel Building Radiant Floor Heating Sample Load 2012.pdf (29.9 KB, 118 views)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
mx842

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack stand View Post
If you did the labor, I's say that for under $1000 all of your "in slab" stuff will be done.
That's 30pc. of 2" foam (30x$20=$600) (about 700' 1/2" pex with o2 barrier under $400)
It's not complicated at all to install the pex or insulation. If you decide to go with it write back in and I'll explain what I learned doing it myself. There's lots of web info avaialble out there.
Just wondering where you guys are finding the 2" pink board for only $20 a sheet? I paid over $17 a sheet for 1" at HD.
mx842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
jlckmj

Quote:
Just wondering where you guys are finding the 2" pink board for only $20 a sheet? I paid over $17 a sheet for 1" at HD.
I got mine at Menards, I think I paid about $28.00 per sheet

Jim
jlckmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
kert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx842 View Post
Bought 35 sheets last night at Lowes for $24.09 each after a 10% coupon. Also bought 25 sheets a few months back for $10 each on CL, so on average I guess I paid a little over $18/sheet.
kert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
jvitez

It's ~ $24 a sheet for 2x8' here. It will pay me to drive to North Dakota to Menards and buy 4x8 sheets. Menards web site also has on line pricing and individual store stock availability.

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Highbeam

If you plan to bellyache about the cost of XPS insulation then you ought to be considering EPS insulation. I used the 25 psi version (same as XPS) and it was much much cheaper than XPS. The manufacturer rates it for use under slabs just like XPS.

I want to say less than 15$ per 4x8x2" sheet.
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
BadgerBoilerMN

Warning: XPS is suitable for sub-slab radiant floors, but check the cost/R-value before you buy. It is also much more fragile and care must be taken when installing the insulation and the PEX is used.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
jvitez

EPS for radiant floors. They make it in 3" thick sheets, at R 4.04/inch = R12.

http://www.plastifab.com/application...nt_floors.html

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
1938flatty

Would anyone recommend installing some foam down the inside of the block or foundation wall to help with heat loss? If so how thick of foam and how deep into the ground.
1938flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Randy in Maine

I am a 40'x 28' garage/woodshop. I used 2" of foam under the slab, wire mesh to clip the 1000' of 1/2 pex to it. 4000 psi concrete with fibermesh. SIPs for walls and ceiling so everything is about R-40 or better. No rebar. Had the concrete cut to control cracking.

I put down 2" foil covered foam ~ R-14 along my stem walls to give me a thermal break between the heated 6" floor and the unheated 8" stem walls.

I covered them in 1" pine so I don't have to look at it and it is far more durable.

Came out pretty good.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
Dave Maxwell

After install. With all foam and good insulation and such. If I ran mine at 50 degrees. Would it be cost effective compared to me running a force air only when I'm on shop. 3024sf
Dave Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
BadgerBoilerMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
I am a 40'x 28' garage/woodshop. I used 2" of foam under the slab, wire mesh to clip the 1000' of 1/2 pex to it. 4000 psi concrete with fibermesh. SIPs for walls and ceiling so everything is about R-40 or better. No rebar. Had the concrete cut to control cracking.

I put down 2" foil covered foam ~ R-14 along my stem walls to give me a thermal break between the heated 6" floor and the unheated 8" stem walls.

I covered them in 1" pine so I don't have to look at it and it is far more durable.

Came out pretty good.
2" foam? meaningless.

Wire is for reinforcing concrete, which it will not do if laid down on the "foam". PEX should be stapled to the foam in most home garages. For a 6" slab, some applications benefit from a suspended tube, in which case I would go for the wire as long as it sat on the appropriate chairs.

"Foil covered foam" is made for sheathing (walls) and likely will not meet the psi specification for any slab-on-grade. Foil lends nothing to the radiant floor heating system in a slab-on-grade radiant floor heating system.

R-10 is generally the minimum for a stem wall and should extend from the heated slab to the footing. Here it is OK to use an unrated foam.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #20
jack stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1938flatty View Post
Would anyone recommend installing some foam down the inside of the block or foundation wall to help with heat loss? If so how thick of foam and how deep into the ground.
Down to your local frost level (depth) is best.
jack stand is offline   Reply With Quote