Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #4861
tkbowman

Default Re: Restored 1930's Auto Shop

The photos were wonderful. I especially liked the description of the sewing process. I have wondered about that for some time when I encountered the threads on spines of various books. Thanks for more education.
tkbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #4862
landroversforever

I hope this isn't a dissappointment Thomas, I wouldn't have wanted to get your hopes up for something interesting

Apologies for the quality of the photographs... they were only taken with my iphone as my camera was forgotten!

For my Easter break with the family we took the caravan to a place in Hampshire, southern England, called The New Forest. The place is full of wild horses and beautiful woodland to walk in, but it has a gem in the form of a village called Beaulieu. (pronounced b-you-lee).

A very pretty village by the river that is home to a rather special place that goes by the name of Beaulieu Motor Museum.

The museum holds some cars that are very close to my heart, such as one of the Campbell's Bluebird land speed record cars:

Bentley Blower:

Pre Production No.4 Land Rover:

But, what I think Thomas would be interested in is this:

Based on a garage from Wedmore in Somerset, its got a couple of things in common with Thomas and Virgil's garage in being from the 1930's!

The building is only a reproduction and but with the way its filled it has atmosphere. It reminded me very much of your shop Thomas and the way nothing was thrown away:

Gus' english cousin:

All around the 'shop are old metal signs, petrol pumps, and other garage related stuff, here is a selection!

Hopefully this will work: a video of the inside of the garage

Hope you like it Thomas! If you want to have a browse of my other pictures from there take a look at my photobucket here: http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/q...otor%20Museum/
landroversforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #4863
CrustyD3mon

Thanks for sharing this...nice place to visit for sure!
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #4864
Vernmotor

Your video works ! and thank you posting the pics..Great stuff.. That sign" in event of invasion" is something I have never seen ! wow
Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #4865
reddog289

I gotta show these to the wife, T&N looks like my garages.
reddog289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #4866
UN4GTBL

Wow.

I have finally read through this entire thread. It has taken several days!!

Thomas & Chris, you have something very special, and the shops and vehicles are amazing as well.

I look forward to what you post in the future!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #4867
BB767

Once again I made it home. I find my flying is getting in the way of me being able to post in a timely manner! It's been tough trying to post while I'm gone on the "road" so to speak. But I digress, to continue...

Gus's Manual, Part II

BTW before I get started with this, Chris H reminded me that you'er going to see some more old machines used in the bindery process. He said it's not because he's enamored with old equipment (even though he is ), it's more that the process hasn't really changed and those machines do it the best. So here we go......

As we've seen previously, the spine rounding is started with the book block on the bench. Once the curve is started, it's clamped in this Rosback rounder- Backer where the rounding is finished.

Here you can see the nice radius on the spine. Then to dress up the ends of the spine...

...Head Bands are cut ...

...and glued to each end of the spine. This is only for cosmetics, to dress up the ends. It's a fussy detail, but the mark of high quality hand craftsmanship.

Next comes the backing cloth which is glued to the spine. This will help reinforce and stabilize the book block stitching but much more importantly...

...the little flaps are what the front and rear hard covers are hinged to. NOTE, this is the most important aspect of a hard cover book. This is what holds the book to it's cover.

The next step is to make the hard cover or case as it's called. Cover boards are the hard in a hard cover book.

It looks like heavy duty card board but in reality it's specially made for books, laminated in layers just like plywood to make it stable and warp resistant. Once those were cut (front and back covers)...

...I had to select the type and color of the book cloth from this selection. Since this is a mechanics manual and will be used in a rugged, burly, manly shop environment, Chris H suggested a material called library buckram. This is a very heavy duty material which holds up well in heavy use.

Book cloth is heavy cotton fabric with a surface applied to it. I wanted to come as close to the color of the original manual as possible and this is what was used. I'm positive Gus will approve. With that selection made the case now had to be put together.

The cover boards were placed on the book cloth, the white center paper is used to reinforce the book cloth spine and to keep the glue on the book block spine from sticking to the cover cloth. Remember this is going to be a "open spine". That metal divider is a layout tool to center the various pieces on the book cloth.

Then a pencil outline is drawn as a reference. Next note, shocking as it might seem with all the high quality and attention to detail Chris H exhibits, you can see above that he proceeds to CUT CORNERS I almost couldn't bare to watch. And all along I thought he never cut corners in his work.

Remember the poster advertising for dead animals?

That is so they can make animal glue. It's rendered from the hooves and hides.

Here's what a block of new animal glue looks like before it's heated up.

With a thin layer of animal glue applied to the book cloth the cover boards and spine strip are glued to it. Animal glue is used because it laminates items well and sets up quickly, in 30 seconds to a minute. All that's left is to finish off the edges.

That's done with this Merz turning-in machine.

Note how it turns the edge over and is glued with animal glue.

And this is what it looks like with the edges all turned in. And speaking of turning in.........I've been up flying and commuting for the last 24 hours or so and I'm going to turn in. I'll finish this tomorrow. (Pretty slick way to stop, huh?) Thanks everyone.

Thomas
BB767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #4868
babaluba

This is SO cool, Thomas.

I'm not having a laugh, this process is something I have always wondered about. Thanks for sharing!!
babaluba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #4869
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
Once again I made it home. I find my flying is getting in the way of me being able to post in a timely manner! It's been tough trying to post while I'm gone on the "road" so to speak.
Thomas
Time to retire and concentrate on posting full time

Seriously it was worth the wait

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #4870
Boosted1
Alliance Member

Very cool process you have shown. Thanks.
Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #4871
landroversforever

This book binding stuff is fascinating . thanks again for the AMAZING story Thomas
landroversforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #4872
emeraldcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroversforever View Post
I hope this isn't a dissappointment Thomas, I wouldn't have wanted to get your hopes up for something interesting

Apologies for the quality of the photographs... they were only taken with my iphone as my camera was forgotten!

For my Easter break with the family we took the caravan to a place in Hampshire, southern England, called The New Forest. The place is full of wild horses and beautiful woodland to walk in, but it has a gem in the form of a village called Beaulieu. (pronounced b-you-lee).

A very pretty village by the river that is home to a rather special place that goes by the name of Beaulieu Motor Museum.

The museum holds some cars that are very close to my heart, such as one of the Campbell's Bluebird land speed record cars:
[IMG]http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/landroversforever/Beaulieu%20Motor
The building is only a reproduction and but with the way its filled it has atmosphere. It reminded me very much of your shop Thomas and the way nothing was thrown away:
nice! great pics. looks like a cool place to visit. those gas pumps are way cool.
emeraldcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #4873
MetalMangler

Quote:
Thomas -

When you first posted this picture I immediately thought it was for doing binding work, but it was much more elaborate than anything I used in my youth when working at a Copy/Print store. I also didn't recognize the functions of the other pictures so I couldn't have guessed where these posts would wind up.

Now after having gotten more of the story, and seen the wonderful pictures and read the narrative, I can say that you don't disappoint sir!

Having grown up being a bookworm, the inside scoop on the detail behind the making of the books I love is wonderful. I hadn't known that the book covers were anything more than simple chipboard cardboard. I am always learning something here. (Don't tell Chris, she might decide to test us just to confirm!)

Thanks again, and get some rest so you can keep the information flowing!

MM
MetalMangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #4874
Kevin54

Quote:

And this is what it looks like with the edges all turned in. And speaking of turning in.........I've been up flying and commuting for the last 24 hours or so and I'm going to turn in. I'll finish this tomorrow. (Pretty slick way to stop, huh?) Thanks everyone.

Thomas
I find it very hard to believe that you sleep. It would take 5 people to do what you do in a days time and that would be with them catching a nap every once in a great while. You get more done in a day than most get done in a month So when you turn in to sleep, I imagine it's a 10 minute power nap, then you wake back up completely refreshed
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #4875
BB767

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFR8 View Post
Time to retire and concentrate on posting full time

Seriously it was worth the wait
But, but..... I'm still not done yet..............

Thomas
BB767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #4876
Omphaloskeptic

Bookbinding; I thought it was practically a 'lost art'. So cool, it's amazing to see the process as a true professional does it. Many years ago in Junior H.S., I took a Drafting/Printing class where we did basic bookbinding as a graded project, and in doing so, I came to appreciate the 'art' of bookbinding. Thanks Thomas for bringing back those memories of long ago! Looking forward to the exciting conclusion and epilog of 'Gus's Genuine Johnson Garage Guide'. Be careful though, giving him this gift might make him yearn for even more..... power steering, heated seats, cup-holders, and-on, and-on! LOL
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #4877
ZRX61

I was sat here looking at the pics & reading about the book binding. I get about halfway through & I'm thinking to myself "WTF, this looks familiar?" Then I had a flashback to being taught how to do this in school

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #4878
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

Quote:

Thomas
But think of all the time you would have to work on 'Restored 1930's Auto Shop' I am sure you know I said it all in jest

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #4879
hobbitss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFR8 View Post
But think of all the time you would have to work on 'Restored 1930's Auto Shop' I am sure you know I said it all in jest
Great idea!! First editions for the faithful.......

patiently waiting for more photos from the Tool shed archaeological dig..

Jack of all Trades , Master of None....
"Task Master of Thomas' Tool Shed"!
hobbitss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #4880
R1chy

Quote:

Thomas
Ah haa, so there is a chance something will get powder coated then? I wouldn't want to be disappointed.

I'm also waiting to see how you weave in the SM shirt.

R1chy
R1chy is offline   Reply With Quote