Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
ed_v

Default Re: Traveling with your garage dog.

We have two dogs we take everywhere with us. When we travel, we like to stay at Baymont Inn's or Ramada Inn's. They are very pet friendly in most cases.

Ed
Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
Larry_AZ

Some excellant advice here.
I would add www.druryhotels.com
to the friendly list.

Also www.dogfriendly.com

Look for local off leash dog parks to take them to, and let them run.

Larry
Larry_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
robarosa

Just wanted to give thanks for the ideas you guys gave. Pup didn't know what to think out of her comfort zone for a few days, but got the hang of it. Was out on the road five days. Here's a picture of some of my bunch on Galveston beach. Pup is posing. Now the pup has the hang of it, we will be cruising out more.

thank;
rob

robarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
OldmanB

We travel all the time with our 4 pups, MiniSchanzer,Toy Poddle, and two of 'their ' kids,go perpared and usually all goes well. We even take them camping, the toy poddle makes a great pillow!
Brian
OldmanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #25
Kevin C

We have traveled quite a bit with our dog. That includes a two week road trip on the PNW and Canada. I have a VW Passat sedan with fold down rear seats. With two adults, luggage and the seats down, the trunk and one side of a folded down seat becomes the dogs den while on the road.

Most trips, she is up and watching for the first few hours, gets tired and then heads back to the trunk for a snooze. I added DynaMat sound deadening to the trunk and the carpeting gets padded with a bunch of large beach towels.

The only issue is if its OK to leave her in the car while we are away. After sun down with the windows part way down is not a problem. Same if you park in a parking garage.

During the day it can be an issue. I left her in the car for 15 minutes on a 68F day. The car was parked under a tree with the windows half way down and the sun roof open while I grabbed a cup of take-out coffee. As I was walking back an animal control parked me in and was ready to write me a ticket.

I asked what for? They took temperature readings and the interior was 80F. When the door was opened the dog wanted to stay in the car (she was sleeping, I didnt want to drag a sleeping dog out of the trunk / den). I asked if the animal showed any signs of heat stress? No answer.... Just lecture of how dangerous it was to leave a pet in the car. I responded that I understood but it was a cool day and the car was out of the sun.

That didn't go over well.

I pulled the dog out and she was her usual happy self. I asked her if she wanted to get back in the car.... She headed back to it to get in. Again I asked the officer did she look unhappy with being in the car or show any signs of heat stress?

No answer. Just more threats to have me arrested for talking back. At the point I wanted a Police officer to get the animal control officer under control.

Bottom line, even if its cool out some people can get freaked out if there is a pet left in a vehicle. Cars do heat up fast. Even traveling on a hot day with the AC on the sun can warm your pet up. The trunk / den seems to help since she can get out of the sun.

Last edited by Kevin C; 07-22-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
jhelrey

^^^ Been there.... but I have remote start and I keep the windows almost up. It was in the winter and I was monitoring the temp while I was inside. Truck started to fall below 55 inside so I fired it up and let it run until it was 70 inside. Shut it back off. I walk out about an hour later and some lady is pissed there is a dog alone in the truck.

Dog was it's usual hyper self. Told her to get lost.
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote