Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Doug Deaton

Default Brought This Columbian D46 Vise Today - Info Requested

I’ve been looking all over the place for a used American made vise and today I found two Columbian vises at two different locations. Against my better judgment, I decided to buy them both. I hit the jackpot….or at least I think I did. Hopefully, someone here can provide some information about the vises. Mods, I hope it’s OK that I started a separate thread for each vise.

I paid $65 for this Columbian D46. It appears to be in working order and has at least two different colors of paint on it. The jaws are 6” wide and the inserts have slotted screw heads and appear to be easily replaceable. I intend to strip this one down, repaint it, and put it to work.

How old is this vise? Is this a quality model? Did I make a mistake or did I do OK? All advice and info is appreciated.

Doug Deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Money-Pit

Default Re: Brought This Columbian D46 Vise Today - Info Requested

Hello, I have one of these I've had for years. I obtained it needing work. I was working on it today and found out it is missing a part. On the spindle assembly, there is a groove for some sort of retaining clip. It is what moves the jaw when you unscrew the spindle handle. Do you have a picture of whatever goes there or can you lead me to where I can get one? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Money-Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
fullthrottle24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money-Pit View Post
Hello, I have one of these I've had for years. I obtained it needing work. I was working on it today and found out it is missing a part. On the spindle assembly, there is a groove for some sort of retaining clip. It is what moves the jaw when you unscrew the spindle handle. Do you have a picture of whatever goes there or can you lead me to where I can get one? Thanks for any help you can provide.
The part you need is a spilt ring. For the time being, an e clip might work.
fullthrottle24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
1982fxr

that's a good deal for a 6" US made vise
1982fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
FoMoCoPower

Send a message via AIM to FoMoCoPower

Eh,IMHO....I think you paid about twice it`s value. It is a cheaper quality one,not something you will want to put up to any real abuse. I see this style at just about every single garage/estate sale I go to. I pass on them for $10-$15.
FoMoCoPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Money-Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle24 View Post
The part you need is a spilt ring. For the time being, an e clip might work.

Yup, I used a 3/4" e clip...so far so good.

Man, if some of ya think these are cheap junk vices...I'd love to see your well built ones.....

I got mine for free and fixed with a clip I found in my garage, but I'd easily pay $80 for it compared to the new junk I see for sale BUILT IN CHINA! for twice the price.
Money-Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
454ragtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoPower View Post
Eh,IMHO....I think you paid about twice it`s value. It is a cheaper quality one,not something you will want to put up to any real abuse. I see this style at just about every single garage/estate sale I go to. I pass on them for $10-$15.
That's kind of harsh, they're not that bad. I've had a D45 for 25 yrs., bought used, has held up fine to regular shop use. If you don't put a pipe on the handle or other foolishness, it will probably be fine for most jobs. Just know if it won't hold, you need a bigger, heavier vise, don't kill that one.
Jim
454ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
drewzfoster

One of those looked like it spent time in a body shop...prime over spray all over it.
drewzfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
1950mercury

I think you got a good deal I have the same vice and I've beat the hell out of it for over 10 years and its never let me down....

Look at what vises are going for on eBay..

Fomocopower is just pissed you got a good USA made vicefor a good price... if he passes them up all the time for 10 or 15 bucks he is a FOOL

Last edited by 1950mercury; 04-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.
1950mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
1982fxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950mercury View Post
I think you got a good deal I have the same vice and I've beat the hell out of it for over 10 years and its never let me down....

Look at what vises are going for on eBay..

Fomocopower is just pissed you got a good USA made vicefor a good price... if he passes them up all the time for 10 or 15 bucks he is a FOOL
ditto
1982fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Outlawmws

I don't think you got completely raped, but I don't think you got a steal either. That is a mid range shop vise, with a pressed/cast-in formed dynamic jaw slide. Being 6" wide in the jaw does not make it "heavy duty. It IS a good step above the Homeowner's vises (These are the $10-$15 vises, and can be had even cheaper, as I can attest...), with the exposed screw. It is not anywhere near the level of a good machinist vise. I'd guess the weight at something under 30, probably under 25 lbs. (A similarly sized homeowners, would weigh maybe 15 18 lbs, max, and a machinist vise tipping 100+)

What does the other vise look like?

Good serviceable vise, worth cleaning up, but don't over abuse it.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is online now   Reply With Quote