Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
itlogo

Default What's minimum garage concrete slab thickness in Colorado?

Trying to find out the minimum thickness and density that's poured for attached garage concrete slabs here in Colorado. Looking to move into a new home and the two-post lift requires at least 4" of 3000psi concrete or better. I found some published code for detached garages that say minimum of 3.5". I would get in there and drill the floor to find out, but, it's not mine, yet.
Thanks.
itlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
djkeev

Default Re: What's minimum garage concrete slab thickness in Colorado?

Putting in a hoist? Do NOT assume this or that about the existing concrete!

Dig out a proper footing pad to proper depth and pour the proper strength of concrete. Last thing you need is a two post lift ripping out of weak thin concrete! Two post lifts scare me just a little anyway but why risk a potentially lethal accident over a few yards of concrete and a few days of hard work?

Builders do not usually put in more than is needed, often the opposite is true. They will put in as little as they can get by with.

Inspections and inspectors are a joke, don't count on their eyes or their official reports for much if any help.
The saying around these parts is that inspectors are contractors who couldn't make it, as a result the are angry and going to make darn sure that you can't make it either!

Dave

Last edited by djkeev; 04-23-2012 at 06:27 AM.
djkeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
darkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlogo View Post
Trying to find out the minimum thickness and density that's poured for attached garage concrete slabs here in Colorado. Looking to move into a new home and the two-post lift requires at least 4" of 3000psi concrete or better. I found some published code for detached garages that say minimum of 3.5". I would get in there and drill the floor to find out, but, it's not mine, yet.
Thanks.
This is a cut and paste from a lift site:
To properly measure for your car lift, remember to take into account any obstructions like overhead garage door openers. If you have any questions on which lift will work best for you, email sales@carguygarage.com or call 800-736-9308.

Two and four post lifts have specific concrete requirements. Lifts with a larger foot print, like the storage lifts, do not have requirements on concrete.

Car Lift Concrete Specifications

7,000-10,000lb Two Post Car Lift 4" min. 3000 PSI concrete
12,000-18,000lb Two Post Car Lift 6" min. 3000 PSI concrete
7,000-40,000lb Four Post Car Lift 4" min. 3000 PSI concrete
Storage lifts and lifts with larger footprints do not have specific concrete requirements.

If you are unsure of the thickness and PSI of your concrete and want to install a 2 or 4 post lift you should pour concrete pads. The basic rule is that you need the pads to be 12" wider on each side from the base plates of the lift. For a 2 post, you'll need to go down at least 2 feet. For a 4 post, you'll need to go down at least 6" New concretea also must also cure at least 28 days before installing your car lift.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
wess23

3.5 would be correct if Colorado follows the IRC which I would imagine they do. That being said this means nothing. Concrete thickness is usually determined by local soil bearing conditions. As a matter fact I've seen lots and lots of prints and never seen a floor that thin here in NJ.

Were it me I would head to the local building department and see if there is a print on file. This is all a matter of public record and they should give you no grief.

What you want to see is what the architect specified for the floor, that is what should be built in the field. The contractor can't substitute a 3.5" floor if the print called for a 5" floor just because it meets code. The building inspectors job is to make sure that what is on the approved print is what is built in the field.

All that being said the inspector wasn't there when the slab was poured. He inspected the slab prior to the pour to make sure the base, vapor barrier, any metal etc. was present. There is no guarantee that the mason poured the required thickness and I'm sure that if you check different spots in the floor the number will change, nature of the beast.
wess23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
mercury26

I live in Colorado, so hello to fellow COlorado resident. My recently poured garage floor for a detached garage was pretty much 3.5" on the money. I am putting a two post lift in my garage and had to pour new concrete footings (4' x 4' x 12" with 4000 PSI concrete). I could not get the mechanical wedge anchors to set in my concrete. The best way to tell depth is to either take a core sample or drill a hole/measure depth.

Regards,

Chuck
mercury26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
472scout

You beat me to it. Take a core sample or just go straight to new footings.
472scout is offline   Reply With Quote