Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Isaac-1

Default Should I buy this car hauler?

Hi, I am new here, but it looks like a great place and there seems to be lots of good information. Anyway I am considering buying a car hauler trailer for general use, I already have a 5x8 utility trailer for the little stuff and a pair of larger goosenecks (24 ft pipe top and 32 ft deck over), so want to get something in the middle. I found an ad for a 10 year old 83 inch wide deck 16 ft car hauler with 2 ft dovetail, 7700# GVWR, rear pull out ramps, etc. that is about 50 miles from here at what upon first look seems a reasonable price $1,400. It seems to be in good condition, however it does not have brakes, and the lights are not legal for an over 80 inch wide trailer (no center or corner markers), good tires, good metal and wood deck, but could use a coat of paint, about what you expect on a 10 year old trailler. Going to go look at it in person in a couple of days, may offer less once I see it.

My questions are:

Is a 16 ft car hauler too short? (likely using it for occasional car hauling, small tractor (John Deere 990), as well as hauling random stuff (lots of places around here, hardware stores, etc. will only load flat bed trailers with fork lifts, which for me means getting the big 32 ft deck over out) I don't want to get too big, remember this is an in between trailer already, but would consider getting an 18 ft if it would be a big improvement.

Would I be better off paying about twice as much for the same basic trailer new with electric brakes and compliant lights? or something bigger, better, or wait for another deal to come along?

thanks
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Agent1320

Default Re: Should I buy this car hauler?

If you're not in a hurry, wait til you come across a better deal. Especially since it doesn't have brakes. I recently picked up a 2003 Diamond C 18' Split Dovetail car hauler with rock guard, tool box, spare, and new tie downs, etc for a steal.
Agent1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
koditten

If you are going to have to update the lights and the wiring, do the brakes as well. for 100 bucks you should be able to do backing plates and brake drums.

This is a good deal if the trailer is sound. This sound like a good DIY project to make it the way you want.

The 16 foot will work for 90% of the cars and trucks out there. Could work for long bed, extended cabs, full size trucks if the axles are closer to the center of the trailer(unlikely), but worth mentioning.

I would grab it in a minute for 1400 bucks.

KO
koditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
383 240z

$1400 aint bad for that in my area. Just remember what its gonna cost to make it what you need. $75 each brake set $50-60 bucks in new lighting and wiring. I just picked up a 18' with 2' beavertail with brakes on one axle and needing lights, for $2000. However it had 4 good trailer tires, and a decent 5th for the spare, came with an ATV ramp. I was happy with the deal. Keith
383 240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
BADSIX

any good trailer for around 1500,00 to 2000,00 is a good buy, i don't think you could build one for that not counting labor. i had a 16 ft. trailer and it worked fine i wouldn't go any smaller. i think if i were going to haul cars and pickups i would go 18 ft., your average 1/2 ton pickup is 16 ft. long. one thing to look for is the axel placement on the trailer, they need to be back from center a little. if not you'll have a hard time pulling it. a lot of people that build a trailer will put them right in the middle.
BADSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
battmain

IMO, a 16ft is less desirable than an 18ft due to less distance for proper weight distribution. Next look up the cost of the trailer parts you're going to need. Unless you're getting jobber prices, I don't see how brakes and such can be added for less $100. In my area, one brake assembly per wheel is ~$50 and usually doesn't include the disk/drum. Even an axle set from Northerntools runs more than $100 for the assembly, then add on the disk/drums.

As a reference, I picked up an 18ft for $700 from someone who got out of racing and had working everything. It's looking a little raggedy now, but it's on my project list.
battmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Is a 16 ft car hauler too short?
Yes, and the dovetail hurts even more. I have an 18' flat deck and wish it were a 20'. But I've pulled a 16 and an 18 and much prefer how the 18 pulls and backs.

If breakover is a concern and that's why you want the dovetail, it's better IMO to just make some longer and/or 2 piece ramps. But with that trailer you've got 14' of flat deck for, say, hauling a 20' stick of steel. No bueno.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
5wndwcpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ign View Post
Yes, and the dovetail hurts even more. I have an 18' flat deck and wish it were a 20'. But I've pulled a 16 and an 18 and much prefer how the 18 pulls and backs.

If breakover is a concern and that's why you want the dovetail, it's better IMO to just make some longer and/or 2 piece ramps. But with that trailer you've got 14' of flat deck for, say, hauling a 20' stick of steel. No bueno.
I agree. I have an 18' and wish it were 20' just from a tie down perspective. If you're hauling a longer vehicle, the straps are running more vertical and while not the end of the world, it is just more of a pain in the a$$. I bought my trailer when it was less than a year old for $1950.00 and it has 4 wheel brakes. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient.

In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, a brave man, a hated man and scorned man. When his cause succeeds, however,the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.
5wndwcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Falcon67

I have two 16' car haulers, one Maxey like you describe. Steel deck, 2' dove, rear ramps. Hauled the race cars and even pickups on it, no problem. Overall it's about 20' including the tongue. For price comparison: it's all steel, dual axle brakes, 235 series car tires from the factory, rear receiver and 4 pin harness, front Bulldog and 7 pin RV connector - $2400 off the lot in 2004. I would not take less that $2K for it if I ever wanted to sell, which I won't. Hauled all the materials for the new shop on it too, including the 2x12x24' ceiling beams.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Russian

If you're in no hurry, I would hold out for nothing short of 20' with brakes.
Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Murphy4570

That's a little more than I'd spend, but that's just me. Offer him $1,000 cash right there, he might bite.

I picked up a 14 foot deck bobcat trailer a couple years ago for only $750, in comparison. Needed tires and some wiring repaired. I use it to haul small cars/trucks. Works well.
Murphy4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Isaac-1

Well I think I will see how low he will come down on price and go from there, I dropped by a local trailer dealer on the way into work today and they are running a sale, they have a 16 ft 83 inch wide flat wood deck (no dove tail) car hauler with side mounted slide out ramps and electric brakes on 1 axle for $1795 and a nice looking 6 month old all steel 18 ft with 1 axle electric brakes, pull out rear ramps and walk on diamond plate fenders for $2500 (plus tax).

Ike
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
evs1

I had an 18 ft flat deck with all four brakes and 12k gvw for 2200 new about ten years ago. It was pretty good for most of the hauling I did, I ended up wishing it was at least 20 ft. My next one will be.
evs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I'd say that price of the one in the OP is a little too high for the work it needs. Unless he comes down a bit, I'd keep looking.

I have a 16' trailer with a 2' dovetail, it's been a great trailer. I hauled a '77 LTD on it, and the bumpers hung off the end and tool box. If you're hauling stuff, like building supplies, small-medium sized cars or short bed trucks it'll work. If you want to haul larger items buy an 18' trailer.

Honestly though you have the larger trailers already so a 16 footer may be fine for you. Was it 5 or 6 lug ?

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
64dragnwagon

3 yrs ago I bought a brand new 20' (18' flat + 2' dovetail) two axle, elect brakes on one axle, 7,000 lb, wood deck trailer for $1,750. I have used it a lot to haul cars, I had to buy new tires and put new bearings on it last summer. I have put a lot of miles on it. One thing you will want is an electric winch, it was useless to me without a winch because if the car won't run you can't get it on there without several people to push. His asking price is too high in my opinion, more like $1,000 to $1,300 max.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138158
64dragnwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
BooUrns!

You guys are spoiled with such low prices. A brand new 20' car hauler would go for around $4000-5000 up here.
BooUrns! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Isaac-1

Well I sent him an email offering $1,000 waiting to see how he responds, if he says no, I will likley go buy the new 18 ft metal deck on sale at the local dealer for $2450
Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
NXGTS

I have an '04 steel deck 18' with a 2' dovetail. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. It's hauled cars, trucks, tractors, parts, and it currently has a load of mulch on it. It has stake pockets along the side so I made side boards for it out of left over lumber from the garage build. It has been a great investment. I bought it originally to haul my Mustang with. It's usually hauling everything except for the Mustang. I paid $2200 for it new in '04. It does have brakes on both axles and a 7pin connector.

I'd hold out and get exactly what you are looking for unless you come acrossed a deal that is good enough to bite on. New wood deck trailers in my area can be had for 1800-2000. $1400 for one that needs that much work seems really high. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Jarhead0408

I bought a 18' Texas Bragg last year for $1600 had to build a tailgate to use with my mowers but it already had the ramps for a car/truck. I can fit a fullsize truck on it but I wish it was 20'. It'd be nice to have just that little bit of extra room. But, if you only see yourself hauling cars you'd be ok. If your hauling trucks definitely 18' or 20'.
Jarhead0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
89MustangGX

Check out these guys: http://www.econotrailer.com/

I bought a trailer from them years ago, have put thousands of miles on it, and it's been great. It's a basic no-frills trailer, but it gets the job done and tows nicely. Prices haven't changed much since I bought one. Good people too.

Adam
89MustangGX is offline   Reply With Quote