Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #301
Jim Stabe

Default Re: Dimple Dies

The first person who completes a project with the dies should start a thread called "Show me your Dimple Die projects using Claude's dies" and we can all add to it. If you also post on the HAMB or one of the off-road forums you should talk up Claude's dies and help him generate some business. Those guys are always interested in this type of thing.

Building an MGB roadster that is widened 11" with C4 Corvette F&R suspension and blown LT1 V8 with 6 speed. Lots of pictures here:
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Part 3
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Jim Stabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #302
NASTYZEN

All 6 parcels cleared customs and are now on your side.
Few more days and you'll all be dimpling.

Claude
"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."
- Dr AR Dykes
NASTYZEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #303
juiced10

Got them today . You did a great job and look awesome. Thank you for your hard work.
juiced10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #304
NASTYZEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced10 View Post
Got them today . You did a great job and look awesome. Thank you for your hard work.
Excellent!
your welcome. Glad you got em.
Don't forget to show what you dimple!
"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."
- Dr AR Dykes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #305
Flathead Red

FYI for all future dimplers, HF has the punch on sale this month for $79 plus the 20% coupon brings it to $63. I finally got mine and plan to get my dimple dies on the 1st. Can't wait! Please hold a pipe set for me!

Red
Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #306
grego

Is this online or at your local store?
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #307
Flathead Red

I got mine at the local store but I found it through the flier I got in the mail.

Red
Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #308
NASTYZEN

Ok, so here is what is now available for you guys.

The 6 piece 1/2'' to 1 3/4'' set has now grown to 13 different sizes, in 1/4'' increments. Up to 3.5'' diameter.
They will be on the Virages web site this week.

Also, now for the Pipe sizes, we now also have a 3.0'' Die.

- Dr AR Dykes
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #309
monkers

Beautiful work!!!
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #310
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Red View Post
FYI for all future dimplers, HF has the punch on sale this month for $79 plus the 20% coupon brings it to $63. I finally got mine and plan to get my dimple dies on the 1st. Can't wait! Please hold a pipe set for me!

Red
I checked at the store and they do have them on sale for $79 no coupon needed so you can use the 20% off one. I also found out that online they have it for $74.95 plus a flat rate shipping of $6.99. I have not found an online 20% coupon yet but at least if someone wants one and they are not close to a HF, they can at least order one and save a few bucks.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #311
Jim Stabe

Got my pipe size set yesterday and the pictures posted here don't do them justice - incredible workmanship. I can't wait to use them. Thanks to Claude for making these for everyone.

Building an MGB roadster that is widened 11" with C4 Corvette F&R suspension and blown LT1 V8 with 6 speed. Lots of pictures here:
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Part 3
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Jim Stabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #312
grego

Nastyzen, what is the price going to be for the 13 piece pipe set?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #313
NASTYZEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
Beautiful work!!!
Thank you, when I make something I try hard to make well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I checked at the store and they do have them on sale for $79 no coupon needed so you can use the 20% off one. I also found out that online they have it for $74.95 plus a flat rate shipping of $6.99. I have not found an online 20% coupon yet but at least if someone wants one and they are not close to a HF, they can at least order one and save a few bucks.
Thank's for sharing the info with everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stabe View Post
Got my pipe size set yesterday and the pictures posted here don't do them justice - incredible workmanship. I can't wait to use them. Thanks to Claude for making these for everyone.
Thank's Jim, the latest pics of the Dies were taken before they were 100% complete. I have to make a proper photo shoot to put up on here and on the Club Virages web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Nastyzen, what is the price going to be for the 13 piece pipe set?
The pipe set is 6pcs. From 1/2'' to 2.0'' and the 3.0'' pipe size is separate.

The standard set is also 6pcs and goes from 1/2'' to 1 3/4''. The other 7 pcs are separate and they go from 2.0'' thru 3 1/2'' in 1/4'' increments.
I should have time to figure it out later this week and put them up for sale on the web site.
I'm thinking there will be the small set, a big set and individual pricing.
- Dr AR Dykes
Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #314
blksrsil

Hey guys, found this thread during an internet trawl looking for dies. Will be ordering a set when I get paid, assuming they can be shipped to Australia... Claude, can you please confirm this?

Also, thought I'd try and help Claude out by posting this in another forum I use as there are a number of fabricators who might be looking for a set. http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...owtopic=518797

Matt
blksrsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #315
Beaumont67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
Nope, cold-rolled low-carbon steel can not be hardened via quenching. Not enough carbon in the steel to do that.

Case-hardening or nitriding could be done, but those only make a hard surface layer on the steel a few thousanths of an inch deep. Good for things that need a hard surface layer, but not really what you would want for a press die.

Claude said he's making the dies out of C12L14, which is a low-carbon leaded, resulphurized, and rephosphorized cold-rolled 'free-machining' steel used for screw-machines and its good machining and surface-finsh properties, not for hardness or high-strength applications.

Want the dies to be hardened? You need to use a hardenable steel alloy in order to do that. C12L14 ain't. Claude said he was trying some other steel alloys, but cost of the metal and machining were some 'issues'.

^^^^ Good writeup MoonRise & fantastic workmanship Claude.

Tapered Roller Bearings are turned from low carbon steel, for ease of screw machine or CNC turning.
Before laser marking, they were stamped & chamfered, prior to entering HT operations.
Then "green stock" went into a electric fired carburize furnace for approx. 4 hour cycle @ +1700 degrees, and then quickly quenched in oil. (the case hardened wear layer was 1/32" wall thickness)
Finally went through a hardening furnace (quench again) and then a tempering furnace (stress relieve), to remove the steel brittleness (of induced carbon deposit) while maintaining the wear resistance.
Steel shot wheelibrate to clean up (product now called hard stock) and off to finish grind operations.
Induction skin hardening, is also another expensive process, that can replace the old Brg. Mfg. method.

Last edited by Beaumont67; 05-13-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Beaumont67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #316
NASTYZEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksrsil View Post
Hey guys, found this thread during an internet trawl looking for dies. Will be ordering a set when I get paid, assuming they can be shipped to Australia... Claude, can you please confirm this?

Also, thought I'd try and help Claude out by posting this in another forum I use as there are a number of fabricators who might be looking for a set. http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...owtopic=518797

Matt
Hey thank you Matt for spreading the word!Much appreciate.
I checked for someone else from your side of the planet for a small set 7kg. Most economical was about 100 bucks transport....
PM me, if you would like more details.
Thank's again.

Claude
- Dr AR Dykes
Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #317
ToddW
Alliance Member

Any chance you'd make them NOT out of cold rolled... ?

I have a standard set already, and would be interested in the Pipe size set but not in Cold Rolled.
ToddW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #318
blksrsil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTYZEN View Post
Hey thank you Matt for spreading the word!Much appreciate.
I checked for someone else from your side of the planet for a small set 7kg. Most economical was about 100 bucks transport....
PM me, if you would like more details.
Thank's again.

Claude
That still makes them about $300 cheaper than anything else I can get, so I will contact you next week when I have been paid.

Thanks
blksrsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #319
racingtadpole

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksrsil View Post
That still makes them about $300 cheaper than anything else I can get, so I will contact you next week when I have been paid.

Thanks
You have a PM
racingtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #320
Boost Creep

any idea whats going on with the site to order them from? was looking to get a set but its been down all day
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote